Shawn 17-Nov-17
Bowriter 17-Nov-17
bud 17-Nov-17
bud 17-Nov-17
Musty Bull 17-Nov-17
12yards 18-Nov-17
BC173 18-Nov-17
16-Nov-17
Last year was an epic year for things to mess up the rut from warm temps to super moon.

I have been working way to much this year but friends from around the country sure make it seem like another year of slow rut activity.

What is your opinion? Great, Average or Slow?

16-Nov-17
Been slow overall here. Saw some good chasing tonight though. It kinda shocked me to be honest. lol

16-Nov-17
In Nebraska last week and starting on November 2, (full moon on Nov 4th)the rut started in full swing---full moon or no full moon, I had encounters both early mornings and late evenings. I did set a tree stand at 1 pm on day and had a mature doe being trailed by a mature 4x4. When the rifle season started, on Nov 11, the rut was still going strong. I am heading back to Nebraska on Dec 28, for more action and maybe some late rut activity. I would say, average year but always an exciting time to be in the woods.

16-Nov-17
Been hunting steady for the last 3 weeks here in WI. & not seen any sign of rutting yet! this is the second year in a row for no rut action.

16-Nov-17
saw lots of bucks in northern MO the 26th of october through november 13. but is was the worst year for big,"150" or better", buck movement i personally have seen where i hunt in many, many years.

16-Nov-17
Slowest rutting activity I’ve ever experienced here in central Iowa. Friends around me are saying the same. Had some friends in southern part of the state saw some incredible action the first ten days in November.

16-Nov-17
Can't say yet when I kill that monster buck here in the next few days then that will mean it has been the best rut ever.

16-Nov-17
It’s slow here in the daytime. Too hot. I think most of it is taking place at night. I have seen some small bucks in the daytime, but not many mature ones. Early next week promises to be better.

16-Nov-17
In Kansas they are rutting all day, warm , cold or windy . I wish I had some of this stuff on video.....wild for sure.

16-Nov-17
NE Colorado they were super active last week. My buddy kept me updated while I had to work...

16-Nov-17
Here in NW Montana I am seeing little evidence of rutting. I'm sure that there is rutting activity going on, but it must not be in the places I'm going.

17-Nov-17
I'm seeing rutting activity. My wife is seeing banner activity. We've been hunting the last 12 days and last night was the first time I haven't seen a deer from stand.

I think a lot of 'seeing' rutting activity has to do with where you are and where the deer are. That simple. You're on one side of the property, the deer are on the other, no matter if it's 20 acres or 2000 acres.

Every year this comes up and it's almost always the same. A portion are and a portion are not seeing rutting activity. I think, many times, it's as simple as being in the right stand at the right time. They're rutting, that's a fact.

17-Nov-17
In this age of technology, I continue to be amazed. Moon has the rut screwed up. Too hot for them to rut. Too windy for the rut. Moon is upside down. Moon is right side up. Obama postponed the rut. Trump moved the rut,The Russians stole the rut.

Has it ever or never dawned on anybody that rut went on, right on schedule, just as it always has? What changed is what you saw or see and that is due to only four factors. (1) Were you in the right place at the right time? (2) Weather. (3) Temperature. (4) Sex ratio.

The sex ratio will affect the visual aspect and the competition. Closer equality-more competition-more visual impact for the observer. Has nothing to do with when it peaks.

The temperature is by far the biggest factor in what you see. Hot weather=more nocturnal activity=you see less and say, "The rut has been slow this year." or something to that affect.

Weather, as in rain, snow or high winds=less daylight chasing and that is what most hunters equate with "the rut". That, however, is just one phase of the rut. That phase may be drawn out for several days, be what hunters assume to be "normal" or may be compressed.

Temperature is by far the biggest factor in what hunters see. And probably 98.9% of the hunters equate what they see with what is actually happening. Always a bad equation.

Finally, if you are not in the right place at the right time, you may well assume there is no rut this year.

Here are some plain, hard,biologically sound facts: For at least, the last 100 years, the rut has been basically, at the same time every years, give or take a week to maybe 10-days. Mother Nature decided when her does should get bred. That was based on what the weather should be like when her does fawned and what food sources would be available. She did not even think about the moon or the weather when she had her does get bred and she did not give hunters any thought. The rut, all phases of it, remain basically unchanged. The only thing that changes is what hunters see. And when hunters equate what they see with what is actually happening, myths abound.

Some years, second and third phases of the rut become more noticeable. As more fawns reach the 7-8 month plateau, more of them cycle for the first time and hunters see more rutting activity, approximately 28 or 56 days after the peak of the rut. But, the does get bred...every year and within a week-give or take-they get bred at the same time every year. The rut "peaks", that period when 50% or more does get bred, within about a week at the same time every year. The only thing that changes is what the hunter sees.

Of course, this year, all those highly overpaid football players, kneeling during the National Anthem, has caused many bucks to decide not to participate in the rut, at all. Sooner or later, that myth will show up somewhere.

Most state wildlife agencies do fetal studies. They know when the rut peaks. If you contact them, they will usually share that with you. Then, you can quit asking, when do I take my vacation? When is the rut going to peak this year? And you can save a lot of money on Moon Guides. Yes...it is that simple.

Here is one factoid for you to consider. In Alabama, and some other states, the rut may peak at three, distinctly different times from early November to late January and early February. In the same state and under the same moon and close to the same temperatures. There is a very sound biological reason for this. Y'all reckon what that is?

17-Nov-17
I'm no whitetail professional by any means, but what has surprised me is seeing 6-8 does meandering around with no bucks following, not even little guys.

17-Nov-17
As we continue to increase bowhunter and crossbower pressure, especially during the rut, activity will continue to decline at day and increase at night. The deer will also spend more time in the thickest cover during the day. This is just one of many factors in the grand scheme though.

17-Nov-17
Where I hunt the rut has been terrible. No reason like the moon or heat or cold, just way too many does. Very little chasing when a buck has a doe behind every tree. It may get a bit better as the bucks start looking for does but I doubt it. I have not hunted the rut home here in NY in at least 4 years as I have hunted the mid west the last 4 or 5 years. i won't hunt it again anytime soon. Back to the mid west for me next year. Shawn

17-Nov-17
"I'm no whitetail professional by any means, but what has surprised me is seeing 6-8 does meandering around with no bucks following, not even little guys"

In all probability, those does are already bred. When the buck-doe ratio is badly out balance, obviously there is less chasing required due to low competition. However, prior to the season, it is hard to have a ratio of more than 4 does to one buck. It may just look that way. If you see six or eight does to every buck, that does NOT mean your ratio at that level. What you see, is seldom, what you have.

17-Nov-17
Lot of rut activity for us this year in WY. Been having a blast.

17-Nov-17
One thing to consider. The fawns will be born pretty much same time frame every spring.

17-Nov-17
The last few days of October and the first few days of November lots of deer movement. Then it slowed way down. Central Iowa

18-Nov-17
Lots of activity for me in IA starting Nov 5 through Nov 8. I think it was a short intense rut from my observations. Every buck was with a doe at that time. Last week was slower and every buck I saw was cruising.

18-Nov-17
Bowriter.... would that happen to be from deer being transplanted from other areas, as in stocking?

• Sitka Gear