BOHUNTER09 18-Nov-17
Franklin 18-Nov-17
drycreek 18-Nov-17
Stubbleduck 18-Nov-17
Ben Farmer 18-Nov-17
Wood 19-Nov-17
oldgoat 19-Nov-17
18-Nov-17
Hi all, I have been thinking of getting rid of my peep sight. Eyes are not want they used to be and a few other issues as well. I was wondering who chooses not to shoot with a peep and why? Thanks in advance.

18-Nov-17
Hmm not sure what problems there could be with it but I would think it would be tough to shoot without a rear sight!!

Either way good luck. Hope it works out for you

18-Nov-17
What size peep are you using? A large peep makes a huge difference over a small one. Try a large peep if you are not already using one. There are a few sights available that do not need a peep. I think one is called a No Peep. Or, take the sights off and shoot instinctively.

18-Nov-17
What size peep are you using? A large peep makes a huge difference over a small one. Try a large peep if you are not already using one. There are a few sights available that do not need a peep. I think one is called a No Peep. Or, take the sights off and shoot instinctively.

18-Nov-17
I didn't use one for years until a few bows ago and the string lined up with my sight pin tips there for I couldn't see them so I had to install a peep to look through the string, I didn't shoot any better with a peep but I had a kisser button when I was peepless

18-Nov-17
I never shot with one until this year. Never liked them, still not a fan. But my eyes are not what they used to be and the guy that runs my local bow shop suggested i give it a try. I dont know that it made a big difference getting my accuracy back to where it used to be. I did kill a buck last weekend tho that when i drew and settled my pin, i noticed that something in my anchor wasnt right as my sight housing was NOT centered in the peep sight. I dont necessarily check that during shots, but it was off this time enough that i noticed. Whether it was the heavy clothing, the angle of the shot, subconsciously making sure my bottom limb/cam was not in danger if hitting the top of my climber, i dunno. I readjusted and made a perfect shot. So tho i dont KNOW that i maybe wouldnt have felt something being off if i was still just using my anchor points like before, but i KNOW that it was the sight picture that quickly tipped me off this time. So, maybe it saved me???...

18-Nov-17
If your aging eyes are the issue try a verifier lens in a peep.

18-Nov-17
“I would think it would be tough to shoot without a rear sight!!”

Ever seen Byron Ferguson shoot???

JMO, at typical whitetail ranges, sights are a hindrance.

18-Nov-17

GF's embedded Photo
First attempt at this shot this morning, after hockey practice. 15 yards. No sights at all. Prone.
GF's embedded Photo
First attempt at this shot this morning, after hockey practice. 15 yards. No sights at all. Prone.
Looks like the file uploaded as pretty low res.... 1 blade of the broadhead sliced into the ball....

18-Nov-17
I tried every verifier they had and didnt feel any of them cleared up the blur

18-Nov-17
GF, Imagine if you had you used a sight you may have had both blades in there.

18-Nov-17
I don't shoot with a peep. Good days I can shoot baseball size groups at 50 yds. Bad days they are twice that size. I don't think it has anything to do with not having a peep sight.

I use a kisser button, and a very practiced and repeatable anchor. If you are lining up the string and have two light contact points, it works very well. For me it is the kisser lightly in the corner of my mouth and the string lightly touching my nose. It takes practice until it becomes second nature, but once it does you are on. I never worry about a peep turning or being clogged with something, or low light. I can shoot both eyes open and see what happens when I shoot. Walking deer are much easier to shoot without the peep.

I have considered some type of rear sighting system, and looked at them, but never tried one, mostly because I don't want to spend the money. What I do works well. Why change?

18-Nov-17
My accuracy would suffer bigtime without a peep

18-Nov-17
Go for it. I never used one, never wished I did.

18-Nov-17
Iron, i was/am the same way. I use kisser, string in center of nose AND i anchor thumb in back of neck. Had many ppl laugh/snicker/talk down on the thumb anchor in back of neck. I always was able to shoot right with them and in most cases, outshoot them, quieting the talk. I havent changed anything with my 3 pts of anchor even since getting a peep. But again, i dont know that its changed my accuracy shooting at the target.

18-Nov-17
All that a peep does is to give you a visual confirmation of your anchor point; if you have a couple of tactile cues that you can count on, you can anchor with your eyes closed and when you open them, the peep will be exactly where it’s supposed to be.

So back to the OP - if you want to lose the peep, JMO the best solution would be paying close attention to the touch points on your face when the peep is dead center - string, kisser button, wherever your hand or release is in contact with your body...

Then practice with your eyes closed until the peep is always centered when you open them. Then you can lose the peep but not give up any significant amount of accuracy.

bb - true dat; but then I’d have to at least get up to a kneeling position to get the bow plumb, and I was feeling too lazy to stand up...

18-Nov-17
I never used a peep until the last ten years. Killed a pile of deer and rarely missed. I've done well with a peep, especially shooting targets but I think I like hunting w/o one better. I shoot better with both eyes open when not using a peep which I think is better for hunting. I need to get new strings this year and am going to shoot for awhile w/o a peep to see how it works again. And just think, you might gain a few fps with less weight on the string.

18-Nov-17
Used to use a peep. Went to nopeep with kisser button about 15 years ago. No problems

18-Nov-17
I have used no peep and a peep...don`t really see a difference in accuracy. The peep I use only matches the outer ring of my sight at full draw. I used to use a small ball of bowstring as a reference when using no peep. Depends on your muscle memory and form.

18-Nov-17
With my eyesight, I need a frickin laser beam !

18-Nov-17
Haven't used a peep in 20 years. First used a "No Peep" then later switched to an Eotech "Holosight" (Red dot electronic) for three or four years. The last 10 years or so have been with a Zeiss "Z-Point", also a red dot electronic. All worked well for me. The Zeiss, while expensive, is the best for small size, very low battery use (I change the battery once a year..they might last longer), and very durable. All of these sights are a bit of a pain to get properly set up but once dialed in I've never had one move on me.

18-Nov-17
Been bow hunting for 35 years with no peep. I do use a kisser button for my anchor point though

19-Nov-17
I've been using an Anchor Sight made by Archery Innovations for about 10 years. Works well for me.

19-Nov-17
I used to shoot without one and any front sight will work without one, you just better have rock solid form and anchor point. A solid consistent anchor point becomes your peep sight equivalent. However, I think switching to a bigger diameter peep is probably easier and I know in Colorado, using a verifier is illegal for hunting, don't know about your state.

• Sitka Gear