Will 20-Nov-17
Brotsky 20-Nov-17
jjs 20-Nov-17
greg simon 20-Nov-17
19-Nov-17

Bou'bound's embedded Photo
Bou'bound's embedded Photo
A gun..........

advertising this way seems contradictory to the message they generally try to convey regardless of what ones personal opinion may be

19-Nov-17
Well I know what it's not...a bow.

19-Nov-17
Funny they want to be both until time to hunt in regular bow season , then they are a bow .

19-Nov-17
SHAME ON RAVIN!!!! I am a crossbow shooter. Not by chose but by necessity if I want to continue hunting. Because of a bad shoulder, I have more or less been forced into it. And let me tell you, I would gladly give my crossbow away if only I could use my regular bow again.

Crossbows are a royal pain in the poop chute to pack around for the run and gun type hunter. They are front heavy and hard to hold steady for an off hand shot. I have found that I was just as accurate with my regular/conventional bow as with the crossbow. The scope is no advantage. In Colorado it can not have any magnification. It is only necessary because crossbows have no sights affixed to them.

Again I say shame on Ravin for trying to make it sound like crossbows are Gods gift to the hunter.

19-Nov-17
Ditto !

19-Nov-17
Let's take a look at the person holding that weapon , in that advertisement .

Does it look like that person is holding a rifle ? Or , does it look like that person is holding a bow ?

19-Nov-17
If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck......it ain’t a rabbit.

19-Nov-17
Whenever crossbows come up with wildlife commissions for inclusion into "bow" seasons (where they aren't already), a copy of that ad should be handed to each commission member before the meeting.

19-Nov-17
Isn't

19-Nov-17
I have seen their ad on the Sportsman channel a few times....using the same slogan. Guy doing the shooting is grouping at 100 yards with this "device" bench rested. Nearly 20 years ago I was on a committee for the Michigan DNR/NRC to limit future crossbow access and the pro-folks insisted they were a 30-40 yard hunting tool and simply a "horizontal" bow. The reality of the matter is now revealed in plain language....they are NOT a BOW. Whether they are a pain to haul around the woods or not, once they are in place on a rest they are handled like a firearm. As another poster stated....have the integrity to call a duck a duck.

19-Nov-17
Not arguing you ‘Alaska’ on a crossbow not being a bow, but there are several archers who can now group at 100 with a compound. We live in the ‘extreme’ age. I bet most crossbow shooters couldn’t group at 100.

19-Nov-17
Get your 2 cents in before the post is closed, It's held like a gun, aimed like a gun, fired like a gun, and has a scope on it, it's a gun that shoots an arrow. Shooting a bow is 99%mental. You have to draw the bow within the presence of game and know when to draw it, hold the energy with your own physical strength, steady it and aim it under pressure, and release the arrow accurately while dealing with buck fever. You can't rest a bow on a tripod, window, tree limb etc. to steady the shot. It goes on and on, yet, here in the great state of Ohio, they still allow the use of the crossgun during archery season. The "archery" kill has now exceeded the gun kill in the state of Ohio. What really makes no sense to me is, you can bait on private land in Ohio, but not on public land, and you can hunt with a x gun during archery season. Personally, I wish they would just outlaw the crossgun on public land in Ohio, or give it a week long season in December like the muzzleloader, something along those lines.

19-Nov-17
Just go look up the reviews on cabelas for that weapon. The narrative that a bow is better and that it doesn't act like a rifle are b.s. apparently if you one of these, it is the cats arse . I kinda want one to use during gun season. Also, they are superior to bows in that you can easily hunt from the ground without worry about being busted drawing or kneeling or standing to shoot. That to me is huge. A bow may be lighter, but walking into the woods without a tree stand on your back and making adjustments based on wind is very effective. If it is legal, I don't blame people. I just wish it was considered a firearm.

19-Nov-17
I'm not personally disputing the use of the crossgun, to each his or her own, I'm just disputing the use of it during the archery season. Give it a week long separate season in January or something, whatever, it just doesn't belong in the archery season. Nuff said I'm out of breath lol.

19-Nov-17
I'm with Ned. If you want to use them fine, not during archery season. And while the commercials for these make them sound like a rifle and that easy to use. The commercials for Prime bows make me even more sick. Somehow their bows seem to shoot broadheads without tuning and you can shoot the bow canted like a long bow. lol I actually think they have good bows but if people buy into what they say on the commercial you will never miss!

19-Nov-17
Just wait, we have not seen anything yet. Does anyone remember the very first compounds ?

19-Nov-17

kellyharris's embedded Photo
kellyharris's embedded Photo
A Ravin crossbow killed this last week

19-Nov-17
Great buck! Too bad it was a gun kill. =D

19-Nov-17
It's a crossgun

19-Nov-17
That’s one lucky hunter. Man , that’s a beautiful buck.

20-Nov-17
If injury forced me to use a crossbow I would choose one of those recurve crossbows so that I could look down my nose at the losers using these newfangled contraptions. I agree that the advertising is absurd but if it groups at 100 yards, it groups at 100 yards. It is the responsibility of the hunter to make ethical shot decisions, period.

20-Nov-17
It "is"... But that doesn't matter anymore anyway now that it seems to be the "norm" to shoot "rifle" distances with real "archery" equipment. So really what does it matter? Tool bags shooting 80,90,100 yards with their bows at game animals are a FAR bigger threat to our way of life than some small click of dungeons and dragons type dudes that want to shoot a cross gun... JS

20-Nov-17
I wish this question could be asked over at CrossbowSite !

20-Nov-17
Ask me this even a year or two ago, and I would drone on about them being guns vs bows. That's been changing... Not the belief that they allow greater long range shooting, and function more like a range limited ML vs a bow... But the idea that some folks really do need them, and I'd much rather see those folks hunting with a xbow during archery than states making an xbow season or what not.

Overall, I like the law here (MA) and likely in many other states still, where you have to get what amounts to a disability permit to hunt with one. As I understand it here, if you do that, you wont be able to return to archery hunting with a compound again. Once you get a permit for an Xbow, it's lifetime.

This was hammered home to me 5' ago reading a post on the MA forum on this subject... A gentleman noted rarely posting because he felt the attitude towards xbow hunters was so bad. He noted that he lost both legs below the knee a few years ago, and that he'd archery hunted about 15 years prior to that. He tried archery hunting since losing his legs, and due to his situation, was severely limited in what he was doing. A friend suggested an Xbow, he got one, and this year managed to get his first deer since losing his legs.

As an archery community... We need to keep those people.

So, while I would like xbow's to stay special permit required (at least here)... I feel like that system does not limit anyone - except xbow manufacturers and sellers.

As for the Ravin add... I think it's a clear marketing ploy - gun hunters are likely to look at the xbow as a fun, gun like tool to extend the hunting season and have fun with on the range. Want to attract them to your product, appeal to their enjoyment of guns. For some folks it may even trigger a little 2nd amendment protectiveness should xbow legalization be brought up in their state.

20-Nov-17
Jaquomo said everything that needs to be said. It speaks for itself.

20-Nov-17
The definition of 'transgender', what is 'it'.

20-Nov-17
I don't see the big deal. I can group at 100 yards with my bow. (It's just a big group)

For the record: Not a fan of crossbows in regular archery seasons.

• Sitka Gear