Ben 21-Nov-17
arctichill 21-Nov-17
LKH 21-Nov-17
Grunt-N-Gobble 22-Nov-17
Franklin 22-Nov-17
Bowboy 22-Nov-17
Thunderflight 22-Nov-17
21-Nov-17
I'm planning on buying a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme boots at this years Harrisburg, PA Great American Outdoors Show (assuming the vendor is there again).

Does anyone here have any complaints that I should know about before I spend the money on them?

Thanks

21-Nov-17
Everyone’s feet and preferences are different, so there will be differing opinions. I had a pair that I really tried to like for a couple years, but I just didn’t care for them because of the sole stiffness. Always felt like I was walking on a 2”x4”.

That said, I know people that swear by them. Bottom line...let your feet make the decision for you.

21-Nov-17
One thing is for sure....you will either love them or hate them.

I love them. IMHO, they are the best for mountain hunting (and own three pairs of the mountain extremes, two NI and one 1000 Gr).

Mark

21-Nov-17
4 out 5 on the ElkNut Team wear the Mountain Extremes, the other wears Schnees I believe! Kenetrek is the best mountain boot we've worn. If you're not hunting rugged steep country you probably won't appreciate them! Many times you barely get the toe on a rock or hard surface & you need the boot to hold up & not fold up especially with a load of meat under all situations, damn best boot I've personally used, Crispi HTG GTX is a close 2nd!

ElkNut/Paul

21-Nov-17
Have two pair and love them! I need that support and they provide it.

21-Nov-17
Best boots I've tried yet. If you purchase them, be diligent in keeping them conditioned with the Kenetrek boot wax. I have the non-insulated version and they are perfect for early to mid season western hunting, but aren't enough for when I'm in a treestand back east and the temp dips below 30...my go to boot 9 months out of the year.

21-Nov-17
The search function will have all you need on Kenetrek.

21-Nov-17
I have been wearing Mountain Extremes for the past 3 years and really like them. I will second Zim's recommendation on keeping them waxed. I have put a lot of miles on mine and they still look brand new.

21-Nov-17
I love mine, but certainly didn't during the break in period. Make sure you hike enough to get them broken in fully before hunting or your heels will pay dearly. What ElkNut1 said is absolutely true. If you're in rocky, rough terrain they are fantastic because you only need a portion of your boot on a solid rock to make your foot stable.

21-Nov-17
I recently purchased a pair of those boots and my feet love them. The only issue that I have with them is that the waterproof liner stops midway up the front of the boot and will leak if you get water above that line, if you look at the stitching you will see this. Keep them lubed up and wear gaiters is what Kennetrek told me when I sent mine back for testing of the liner.

21-Nov-17
I'm on the "hate" side of the fence with Kene's. I've owned two pair and both chewed up my heels beyond recognition. I've never had another boot do that to my feet ever. I pretty much agree with ohiohunter and Mark Watkins in that they are one of the only products I've seen that is so LOVE/HATE without much in between. Unfortunately, you aren't going to know until you put about 50 miles on them as to which side of the fence you will fall. :)

21-Nov-17
You'll never know till you walk in them a while . My friend and I each bought a pair at the same time . We each broke them in as directed . I've never had one single problem . Best boots I've ever worn . My friend , though, had had many blisters and pretty much needs leukotape if he wears them .

21-Nov-17
As others have said, everyone’s experience will vary. My feet love them. I tried most of the other big name brands with mixed results but the Kennetreks were perfect. I didn’t even need a lengthy break in period, perfect fit right out of the box. Could have saved myself a lot of aggravation and money if I had tried them first!

21-Nov-17
I tried to love em. Great construction and durable. They kill my heels. I wear them now if I am sitting in a stand or a blind. I refuse to wear them on anything other than flat ground. Like everyone says, you feet will decide. I don't know if this matters but I have long skinny feet with no arch. Arch support did not work. Guess I hate that I paid that much for a boot I don't love. Luck!

21-Nov-17
Best fitting most comfortable boot/shoe I have ever owned. I have the uninsulated version. Buy the Kenetrek waterproof wax and apply liberally. I have never had a problem with wet feet either. I think the wax helps break them in too.

21-Nov-17
I tried some Kenetreks and Zamberlains on in the store a couple weeks ago, and the Zamberlains were way more comfortable out of the box. Everyone's feet are different for sure, I just don't understand the prolonged break-in periods people feel like they have to suffer through to get boots to fit right!

21-Nov-17
For me i gave kenetreks a try due to getting a smoking deal on them when i worked a second job at a sporting goods store. I was pretty skeptical while breaking in and even the weeks leading up to a BC goat hunt. They performed amazing during that hunt and i had 0 problems of 12 days of use. I had ankle that wasnt 100% and they were great in all terrain. They will be my boot of choice from now on!

21-Nov-17
Funny to hear of people that have issues with them leaking. One of my pair is on year five and I've never had a wet sock. Been in a lot of very wet conditions with them and never an issue. I do use their boot wax roughly two or three times a year.

21-Nov-17
I had a pair and liked them, but have found that Lowa Tibets fit my feet even better so that's what's on my feet now.

21-Nov-17
Love mine. Not much break in required for me.

21-Nov-17
Ridge ghost, Lowa Tibets are my every day boot. They don't offer the support I need in the mountains though.

21-Nov-17

21-Nov-17
Woops. I absolutely love my Mountain Extremes. Make no mistake it takes awhile to break them in. If you were to wear them only for a 10 day hunt once a year it would take years and years to break them in. To me they ate the ticket for traversing elk country.

One issue is the rubber where the sole curves up around the toe delaminating. But Freesole adhesive fixes that as good as new. If I ever have to buy a new pair.... which may never happen, I'll apply Tuff Toe to the front to avoid that ever happening.

My Mountain Extremes have seen more elk country than you can imagine!!!

21-Nov-17
I have the hardscrambles and love them! Got to keep them conditioned and takes a little time to break them in but once they’re broke in they’re awesome!

21-Nov-17
Can someone tell me what it is about them that causes your heel to get torn up?

I have a pair of Meindls that have treated me pretty good and havent had any heel issues, but ive thought about trying Kenetreks.

21-Nov-17
Grunt and Gobble, Which Meindls do you have? I have some Denali's now that I'm own the border on. I had some Ultralights before these that I loved. Right now if I was going to buy another pair they would be the Ultralights.

21-Nov-17
I have [regrettably] referred to Kenetrek's as "Kenetrash" on this forum. After trying just about any mountain boot I can get my hands on though, Kenetrek is my boot of choice. The reason for my emotionally driven backlash at the brand was due to moisture infiltration. Despite my best efforts including the use of Kenetrek grease, I cannot make these boots waterproof. Well, as it turns out can't make any other mountain boot waterproof either. In the past I said mean things about Kenetrek's, but when I'm headed into no-man's land and I need the best boot I've ever worn I grab my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes.

21-Nov-17
I've never understood why bowhunters liked boots with stiff, hard soles. Maybe it's because I hunt trad and have to get quite close, but all my boots for early season hunts have very soft soles. I used to hunt with the Browning Featherweight boots, but have had to use the Cabela's knock off's recently.

Arctic's right, there is just no way to have dry feet on an extended sheep/ goat hunt, especially goats in AK.

22-Nov-17
Ben - I believe mine are the Denalis also. Bought them at cabelas probably 4-5 yrs ago now after the Lowa Tibets i had killed my feet. Sold those to another bowsite member who loves them.

22-Nov-17
Lowa`s for me...the Sheep Hunter is my favorite boots. I treat them like gold.

22-Nov-17
I've used kenetreks mountain extremes for the last 12yrs. I have a pair of insulated and non-insulated. They provide great ankle support. Best boots i've ever owned.

22-Nov-17
Thanks for the inputs. I want them for hunting out West. Aside from training hikes I doubt I'd ever use them for hunting on the east coast.

I appreciate the input on breaking them in and using the wax.

• Sitka Gear