kota-man 04-Dec-17
Zackman 04-Dec-17
kota-man 04-Dec-17
bigeasygator 04-Dec-17
kota-man 04-Dec-17
21-Nov-17

Zackman's embedded Photo
Zackman's embedded Photo
There seemed to be plenty of interest in this on another topic. I put this under here because I consider it “gear”

My go to is Crown...

21-Nov-17

Zackman's embedded Photo
Zackman's embedded Photo
Although I have gotten into bourbon this past year...

21-Nov-17
Boy you sure excluded beer drinkers didn't you ?? Ha !!!!

21-Nov-17

Zackman's embedded Photo
Zackman's embedded Photo
My favorite, but it isn’t cost effective...

21-Nov-17
I’m with ya zack.. crown here as well. But it’s almost season for the flaming donkeys even though I’m not on Kodiak.

21-Nov-17
Not at all Big Bear, I consider myself an equal opportunity drinker!

21-Nov-17
Zackman, As many will confirm, I am also an avid fan of Crown Royal. However, on a couple hunts in Canada, I received a couple other recommendations that also ranked quite high, and wanted to share them here....at risk of a mild case of hi-jacking. Rich 'n Rare and Gibson's Finest are a couple others for people to consider, and, if memory serves correctly, they won't shred your wallet either.

21-Nov-17
X2 on the Blantons, best I’ve found. Only problem is, quite drinking 3 years ago.

21-Nov-17

Pigsticker's embedded Photo
Pigsticker's embedded Photo
Nectar of the Gods but doesn’t meet thread title and yes that is a gun safe.

21-Nov-17

kota-man's embedded Photo
Nothing goes better with Mac and Cheese and Bacon Wrapped Tenderloin...

21-Nov-17
Jake,

I do enjoy Gibson’s and will have to check out Rich ‘n Rare. I also do like Pendleton and it is not too expensive

P.s. there is no chance of anyone being considered a hijacker if they point me in the direction of a good booze!

21-Nov-17
George Dickel or Jim Beam. I used to be on Dickel’s prostaff, but I had to cut back due to a conflict of interest. It made me interested in conflicts.......

21-Nov-17

BIG BEAR's embedded Photo
BIG BEAR's embedded Photo
The Two Hearted River is not too far from my property in Michigan's U.P.,, So This is appropriate at my camp .....

21-Nov-17
Pendleton 1910 tickles my fancy.

21-Nov-17
Pigsticker for the win!!!

21-Nov-17
There's a reason my wife only lets me hang out with Zack once a year in a social setting. Now, you all know why...

21-Nov-17
I believer the Woodford Reserve double-oaked reserve is the best bourbon I have ever tasted... Blanton's is a little to heavy for me, and Basil Haydon is too light. Woodford - perfect... For the money, hard to beat Jim Beam black... Had some Old Forrester recently that was on sale - solid bourbon as well. Eagle Rare not bad, Jefferson's not bad, Bouillet Bourbon and Maker's Mark also right down the middle, but if I had to pick the absolute best - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked.

21-Nov-17

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
Whiskey man here. Makers mark. But like all good whiskey. This was a good one!! Hunt

21-Nov-17

Zackman's embedded Photo
Zackman's embedded Photo
Here’s another “trophy photo” Huntman!

I may have seen some bottles emptied on that Island you visited

21-Nov-17

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
++ on the Woodford. Never used to care for the brown stuff but have developed a taste for it the last couple years.

For those who might like to grow their own...

21-Nov-17
If you can find a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle’s you are in for a real treat. Booker’s is good, Eagle Rare, Four Rose’s single barrel is also excellent. I’m not a Scotch guy but I’ll never turn down Irish like some Jameson or Bushmill’s. At the end of the day though I generally have a Crown or a Pendleton in my hand.

21-Nov-17
46 Peaks, I am a Vodka man. Shawn

21-Nov-17
Makers, Makers 46, Knob Creek (single barrel), & Woodford are my favorites. Would like to try a bottle of Pappy's, but damn $$$. More often than not it will be a bottle of Knob Creek.

21-Nov-17
The Glendronach highland single malt Scotch if I want something special. Found two bottles on sale a few weeks ago for $47 each - regular price was $67. Bargain!

When I retired a Bowsiter I've never met sent me a bottle of Macallan 18 year old Special Reserve that was, well, extra special. Every bit as good as the Macallan 25 I've had.

21-Nov-17
In the Rye category, 1792 and Whistle Pig are both solid choices. And for something a bit lesser priced, High West is a good "everyday" choice.

21-Nov-17
Crown guy here. Kinda like the Crown Maple.

21-Nov-17
Bowbender and myself would get along fine. Well, truthfully, we'd all get along just fine if whiskey is involved.

21-Nov-17
My preference is some woods ford with a little sweet vermouth bitters and a cherrry..

Knob creek is pretty nice too

I’m still developing my tastes but along with that I’ll also enjoy some gin!!

21-Nov-17
Crown XO for me.

21-Nov-17
I'm with Jaquomo, single malt for me. Oban 14, Macallan 18, some peaty Ardberg, and I even like some of the Japanese whiskey...Hakushu and Suntory...try it.

21-Nov-17
In the rye division I like Bullet. I also like the Woodford Reserve and the buffalo Trace is really good. Unfortunately I can't always afford what my palate enjoys. Luckily one of my son in laws works for a company that makes both fuel and drinking alcohol. His is in the upper leadership and gets some very good whiskey from some of his buyers. What a great perk since he shares it with me and lets me drink some great stuff I could never afford on my own.

21-Nov-17

BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
This.... Ed F

21-Nov-17
Vanilla Crown for me.

21-Nov-17
Woodford reserve double oaked is my fav followed by Angels Envy. Blantons is right up there too! One of these days I'm gonna find me a bottle of Pappys

21-Nov-17
I am a Pendleton man myself. Tried quite a few but keep coming back to it.

21-Nov-17
Woodford Reserve X 2

Question for you Crown Royal drinkers. I use to be in the bar, liquor store business. Is Crown Royal still being made by Seagrams. Haven't bought or looked at a bottle for a while. I see that they have come out with several flavors of it now.

22-Nov-17

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
My top 3 - depending on the day - no particular order

22-Nov-17
I'm a single malt scotch guy too. My go to is Glenlivet 12 because I don't want to spend thousands of dollars per year on scotch. I really like all the Oban scotches, but Balvenie is my preference. I love the 12 year Double Wood and the 21 year Portwood is my favorite. Costco's 12 year is actually pretty good and only like $33 for 1.75L - not bad.

When I drink bourbon, I prefer Makers.

22-Nov-17
Question for you gurus- my dad's favorite is Crown Royal. Given that, what would be a different/better option for me to get him? Something that is kinda similar, but even better... Sorry if this is too "sidetracky" for the thread.

22-Nov-17
Rich 'n' Rare, also known as R&R... It'll shred your wallet in rural Alaska as it can go for well over 300$ for a small bottle in the villages. It's about the cheapest whiskey you can buy at the store everywhere else so it's a favorite among bootleggers. My 73 yr old neighbor drinks it exclusively so while I am out moose hunting with him I end up having a little, it's not terrible but there are much better choices out there.

22-Nov-17
Still waiting for my bottle of Pappy to show up. I like Woodford, Buffalo Trace, Bulleit Rye, and Larceny for the daily go to. Nicer ones for special occasions.

That said, that single barrel Buffalo on Kodiak was about as smooth as it gets.

22-Nov-17
I like whatever Trevor and Hunt are serving!

22-Nov-17
Crown Royal vanilla is my favorite and my buddy drinks R and R , the R and R is a lot cheaper , but definitely not as smooth .

22-Nov-17
Scoot-Crown Royal Black is a nice upgrade.

22-Nov-17
No pictures since I quit all of it on June 10, 2010. But in my day, for a time, I would rink anything from charcoal lighter on up. By my faves were Wild Turkey bourbon and Grey Goose vodka. I was also partial to a good moonshine sup, now and then. In scotch, I do not know the name. I know it cost about $50 a fifth. Just before I quit, I was buying vodka by the case-a case of six, half-gallons would last eight to ten days. Had I been able to drink normally, I would still be drinking. But when I took the cap off a bottle, no matter what size bottle, there was no need to put it back on. It has now been, seven years, five months and 11 days since I had a drink. Thank you Lord. I have no problem at all with others drinking, don't mind if they drink around me. But putting the cork in bottle literally saved my life.

22-Nov-17
BIG BEAR has it right! I have one of those after every round of golf I play. I normally drink beer brewed in WI though. I had way too much crown royal in high school to ever want it again. Even the smell makes me shudder.

22-Nov-17
Jameson, cask-aged for me. It's an acquired taste but I acquired that taste at a young age!

22-Nov-17
Crown royal is my go to, always

22-Nov-17

mgmicky's embedded Photo
mgmicky's embedded Photo
Elmer T Lee is my favorite but it’s been nearly impossible to get the last couple of years. This is a close second and reasonably priced...

22-Nov-17

otcWill's embedded Photo
otcWill's embedded Photo
Poor it in a glass and I'll drink it but Makers has always been my favorite. Any more expensive and the cost vs benefit analysis doesn't add up :) The high end stuff can be dangerous. We drank that bottle in Hunt's pic in like 20 minutes

22-Nov-17

PAstringking's embedded Photo
PAstringking's embedded Photo
One of the best I have found.... almost too smooth lol

22-Nov-17

PAbowhunter1064's embedded Photo
PAbowhunter1064's embedded Photo
If you guys are willing to expand your whisky horizons, you have to give this Japanese whisky a try! It's made by Nikka, the oldest distillery in Japan, and is hands down the smoothest, best tasting whiskey I've ever had. My father in law from Chicago introduced it to me on his last trip home, and we made pretty short work of the bottle! I always enjoy Buffalo Trace or Makers Mark over ice, but there's no need for ice with this stuff!

22-Nov-17
Give Larceny bourbon a shot pun intended it’s good being brought up in east Tn got to try some really good shine made by families who had been doing it for several generations Lewis

22-Nov-17

TODDY's Link
My choice straight up over ice. TODDY

22-Nov-17

SteveB's embedded Photo
SteveB's embedded Photo
SteveB's embedded Photo
SteveB's embedded Photo
SteveB's embedded Photo
SteveB's embedded Photo
SteveB's embedded Photo
SteveB's embedded Photo
Some great whiskeys here for sure and Crown is always a good reliable one. However, not only are they good to drink but are fun to collect (if you can avoid drinking them all) :) Anything Weller is AMAZING but hard to find anymore. I just found a couple bottles.....and if you haven't tried it, MIchters 10 is a REAL treat. Their US1 is good, but the 10 years is amazing. Elmer T Lee is outstanding and for a daily drinker you just can't beat Clyde Mays Alabama Style Whiskey for the price. Just get some! I have over 50 different bottles.

22-Nov-17

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Break glass in case of emergency:) Not my collection unfortunately, a friend of mine that owns a restaurant here.

22-Nov-17
I also have no idea why it placed the last 3 images sideways and wont let me correct. Sorry!

22-Nov-17

Bear Track's embedded Photo
Bear Track's embedded Photo
Sad night the other night. This 66 pounder died during the hockey game.

22-Nov-17
Scoot - Crown XR...simply the best!

22-Nov-17

BOWNUT's embedded Photo
BOWNUT's embedded Photo
Just about any thing from here.

22-Nov-17

Stekewood's embedded Photo
Stekewood's embedded Photo
This stuff wasn't great but we sure wished we had brought more of it when the caribou decided to delay their arrival until we were gone.

22-Nov-17
Bad combo to read the venison ribs thread then this one. Now I'm hungry and thirsty

22-Nov-17
Whiskey... sweet, sweet whiskey.

Fun facts: to be considered "rye" whiskey - at least 51% of the mash must be made from "rye grain"

To be considered "bourbon" whiskey - at least 51% of the mash must be made from corn.

To answer somebody's question... Crown Royal is no longer owned by Seagrams, it was bought by Diageo distilleries in 2000. They also own Smirnoff, Jonnie Walker, Bailey's, and Guinness.

Crown Royal is pretty good rye whiskey... if you like it, you owe it to yourself to try 40 Creek Double Barrel Reserve... or Gibson's Finest - Small Batch Rare (aged 18 years).

Canadian Rye whiskey is definitely my favorite, but I would never turn down a snort of Woodford Reserve Bourbon... or Jonnie Walker Blue Label scotch whiskey either.

Cheers!

22-Nov-17
+1 PAstringking-

High West is my new favorite. They don’t make a bad whiskey. Their double rye is my current favorite. Extremely smooth with a little spice.

22-Nov-17
More of a beer drinker, but hard to turn down a nip of Jack Daniels Single Barrel or Gentleman. Pendleton works too! High West sounds enticing.

Would like to taste a little of Pigsticker's stash I must say!

22-Nov-17
Heat, that’s all the hard stuff that I drink. Made in small batches by a mad scientist in a lab. Same guy wore a wetsuit on extremely cold days on stand this year. How is that for out of the box thinking?

22-Nov-17
This thread is better than Cnelk's 420 thread. Well done, Zackman. Thought you were joking about starting a thread. :)

22-Nov-17
PBR & JD, has always been and always will.

22-Nov-17

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
If sugar was alcohol I’d be a drunk.

22-Nov-17
Usually just a lurker but this thread seemed fun. We have a local place that specializes in just about everything so we get to try just about anything without buying whole bottle. SiP is the name and they have half price Monday nights so we go then. One of the guys is a Kentuckian so we get pushed to the "real" bourbon as he puts it. After much deliberation, I have settled on the below list as my staples. Scotch: Auchentoshan 12 YO Larceny (Made by same folks as Pappy but tastes much better IMO) and fairly cheap Winter Jack (Easy drinking over ice) Wild Turkey American Honey (Stronger than Winter but easy drinking) recently added Yellow Rose Rye but never turn down Weller or Dickel I never learned to appreciate Woodford but we use it when we brew a bourbon barrel cream ale - best of both worlds!!!

22-Nov-17
Rick,

I don’t joke around when it comes to booze!!!

22-Nov-17
R&R has killed more Eskimos than snow.

22-Nov-17
Great to see another W.L Wellers in there:) Makers would be my first pick probably, but Wellers is a close 2nd and much cheaper. I prefer a straight bourbon over a blended whiskey regardless of brand. Ancient Age is the R&R of bourbons and I will drink it as well.

22-Nov-17
Brotsky, Its an emergency, break the glass please! How many years has he been collecting to get that many bottles of Pappy?

22-Nov-17

22-Nov-17
WOW some great Bourbon aficionados here....

22-Nov-17
Sean, he has some connection that he scores them through so not all that long. He protects his source like I protect my mule deer spots and rightly so!

22-Nov-17

No Mercy's embedded Photo
No Mercy's embedded Photo
My two favorites.

22-Nov-17
LOL... Ike!

Zack... yea, we know.

22-Nov-17

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Seldom drink, but entertain a bit. CR Special Reserve over rocks in the winter (kept in the cabinets), Absolute Citron and lemonade frozen with salt in the summer.

The scotch is for my attorney friends, I never touch it.

The Dirty Bird, 101, is to occasionally recall the years I am lucky enough to have survived.

22-Nov-17
Nice bar Frank! Didn't know you partake! LOL

22-Nov-17
You have to come over some time Been.

22-Nov-17
I've had the pleasure of hunting with a couple of folks on the site and the general consensus for their favorite whiskey is whatever is placed in front of them. If I had to choose my camp drink it would have to be Jameson or Makers.

22-Nov-17

PAOH 's embedded Photo
I enjoy some variety
PAOH 's embedded Photo
I enjoy some variety

22-Nov-17
Crown Royal Apple

22-Nov-17
I am no whiskey connoisseur. However I have drank enough Windsor/Lake water while ice fishing to float a boat.

24-Nov-17

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
I’m not an aficionado by any stretch and my wife tells me I am a cheap drunk. I don’t shoot 20$ arrows and I don’t buy expensive whiskey. This is my gear of choice, on the rocks of course.

24-Nov-17
I've been a bourbon nut for about a decade now. Lots of good ones mentioned here. The good news is that there are so many that are good. I'm in Texas for the holidays and enjoyed seeing plenty of Weller SR on the shelves. Texas gets the largest allotment in the US and it's just too hard to find in SC now, since most folks now realize it is the same juice that is barreled for the Pappy lines. Booker's was the original hook for me when I was trying to travel the single malt scotch world. Had some time on my hands Wednesday and read a biography on Booker Noe. Great read. Go spend some time in Kentucky and you'll start enjoying this stuff even more. Really good American history in these bottles. One to look out for in the next few years is Castle and Key. I'm in on a barrel there and have visited the distillery. It's something else entirely.

24-Nov-17
Another thought....get some buddies together and buy different bottles and do blind tastings. You'll be surprised at what you like when you don't know what you're drinking. The bottle of Weller 12 yr someone posted up here I saw beat Pappy 15 in a blind tasting with several attendees. It costs less than $50 if you can find it.

If you like a high rye content bourbon, Mckenna 10 Yr Bottled in Bond is my favorite value right now. I love watching folks grab stuff like Larceny on the shelf beside it and pay twice as much for a pour that doesn't come close.

24-Nov-17
Great input everyone! I have some “research” to do over this off-season.

There are some guys that on here that might get to sample some of these ideas on 2018 hunts with me. Everyone, bring your drinking shoes!

24-Nov-17
Zack...Is that a threat or a promise? ;)

25-Nov-17
Got to try Blade and Bow as soon as I find it pretty cool name Lewis

28-Nov-17

BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
Balls or no balls??? Ed F

28-Nov-17
Like others, it looks like I have some research to do. Had Woodford Reaerve most recently (on a hunt on Afognak with my son) and have to say it was wonderful. Really don't like to drink whiskey until drunk. Whiskey is really only good while sober. Almost the perfect drink that way .... you want to avoid drunkenness to enjoy the drink.

28-Nov-17
Bourbon.....go wheated vs rye in my opinion. The Welllers, Evan Williams (1783 is best), and my #1 fav is Larceny. Damn.....now I'm thirsty.

28-Nov-17
I like Irish Car Bombs... KABOOM!!!...8^)

28-Nov-17
Balvenie Double Wood.....for scotch......damn.......my fav.

30-Nov-17
Pendleton is my favorite but like one of my buddies said "when it comes to booze Beav is a like a coyote with meat, it's all good!"

01-Dec-17
I keep at least 4 bottles of different scotches and single malts in my freezer. No dilution from ice at all.

01-Dec-17
If there is anyone looking for an intervention on this topic. I will be holding nightly meetings in my room at Sheep Show and Pope & Young.

I’m willing to help anyone looking to get back in track.

01-Dec-17
ELMER T LEE......can't seem to get my hands on it anymore though. That stuff is the chrons

01-Dec-17

Outside's embedded Photo
Outside's embedded Photo

02-Dec-17
LMAO and to think I got totally flamed on a beer thread!

Frank that is one very nice bar my friend!

02-Dec-17
Wild Turkey 101, but I am more of a Beer guy, or snob as my wife tells me, hard to beat a good IPA!

02-Dec-17
I moved from the whiskey capital of the world to the hunting capital of the world... I'm not the best hunter but I can still drink with the best of them. I look forward to sharing a whiskey bottle with fellow hunters, just please don't offend me with Tennessee Whiskey...

02-Dec-17
I'm really pleased that the tee-totalers who ranted and raved and judged on the 420-themed threads have kept to themselves on this one. Maybe they fear the wrath of drinkers more than stoners? :)

02-Dec-17
I'm here.... Wearing my hypocrite hat... Ed F

02-Dec-17
Kelly... if you kill stuff consistently, like Zack, you can talk about whiskey, weed and women. If you're a beer drinker and just talk about hunting/killing stuff... you're likely to get flamed.

02-Dec-17
Ed, have a cocktail and relax! ;-)

02-Dec-17
All you drinkers have at it.........I'll raise my glass of water when I see you. :)

04-Dec-17
Auchentosan Bartender's Malt.....nice scotch, a lot of flavor, but not too peaty....and only $50 instead of the $115 or so for Lagavulin 16 year. Very nice, a number of us were complimenting it last night.

04-Dec-17
Lots of great whiskeys on the list. I will not venture into the field without some type of whiskey in tow. Usually, it's a scotch. I prefer a smokier Islay -- Lagavulin, Laphroaig, etc. I picked up a Lagavulin 12 when I was in Scotland this year and that's what accompanied me on my mountain goat hunt in September.

When it comes to Bourbon, there are a few. Lately I've been drinking a bottle of McKenna 10 year that I've really liked. For anyone that needs more research, there is a yearly Bourbon festival in New Orleans in March that will expose you to all kinds of whiskeys you didn't know existed. (http://www.neworleansbourbonfestival.com/)

One more whiskey that I've been drinking lately that is pretty rare but you can find it online. It's an Irish whiskey called Middleton Very Rare. Smoothest whiskey I think I've ever had. It's not cheap but it's worth it.

There's also absolutley NOTHING wrong with the ol' standbys -- Crown, Jack, Maker's, Knob Creek, etc.

Zack, you ready to do some research at Sheep Show?? #sheepshowshape

04-Dec-17

bigeasygator's embedded Photo
One more thing. I've been using the above flask from GSI to pack my whiskey in on backpack hunts. It weighs next to nothing and can hold up to 750 ml of your drink of choice. I highly recommend it.

04-Dec-17
Way to go Bigeasygator...Even "I" did not think to do a gear review on a whiskey thread! Good stuff...

04-Dec-17
You know folks like cajunarcher and iceman call me "kota jr" haha

04-Dec-17
My favorites are Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek and Maker's Mark , in that order.

04-Dec-17
I need that Gator! That will be essential gear.

P.S. I’m always in Sheep Show Shape. It’s a lifestyle...

04-Dec-17
Way less weight and less bulky than a traditional flask. I stayed with me in my bag on my mountain goat hunt and was put through some abuse and held up just fine. They make a big one (750 ml) and they also make a small one (more of a typical pocket flask size). I recommend the big one as they weigh about the same and the small one to me wasn't quite big enough from a volume perspective (I have them both). I didn't fill the 750 ml all the way up cause I didn't want to carry that much whiskey around, but I definitely put in more than the small size could handle. When we broke it out after I arrowed my goat I know my guide appreciated that ;-)

04-Dec-17
Zack...Put that on the gear list for '18 AND '19.

04-Dec-17
Kota,

It’s done. Now I just need to find one that is 1.5 liters...

04-Dec-17

Here you go. Not real "portable" though.

04-Dec-17

Look, I just weighed mine. Comes in at 1.6 oz. just buy two...that means you can pack in two different whiskeys ;-)

04-Dec-17
It’s not the “empty” weight I’m worried about...;)

• Sitka Gear