jims 27-Jan-18
Beendare 28-Jan-18
RutnStrut 28-Jan-18
Bowfreak 06-Apr-18
WapitiBob 06-Apr-18
Kurt 06-Apr-18
Jaquomo 06-Apr-18
23-Nov-17
Is it possible for the on x app to fully replace a GPS unit? I just downloaded the app and have been using the free trial to start planning a wyoming antelope hunt. Had been considering purchasing a GPS unit, but was wondering if anyone just relies on the on x app.

23-Nov-17
In NM elk hunting this year my buddy had an app on his i phone and it was really good but he did lose his signal a few time but my Garmin gps with a NM map from on x never missed a beat . He said let me see your gps a few times.

23-Nov-17
Simple answer, depends what data you put on your gps or phone. I used a garmin Montana, android phone, and iPhone this year, all with onx. The gps had more map sources than than the phone but I used the phone way more than the gps. I have since added Gaia to the iPhone. The phones work very well and I have had no problems with them, neither have my hunting partners. Flawless in the field, map download and web map sync has been painless as well. I would recommend either app.

The web map is where the limitations are but both onx and Gaia are updating features regularly.

23-Nov-17
I used Gaia app on my iPhone on my Wyoming elk hunt. I see no need to pay on x. Not to mention there app crashes on me too many times. Gaia will show private from public. The layer I use didn’t show who owned the private though. Just like I see no need to use a gps for the lower 48 either.

23-Nov-17
No need for a GPS north of the border either. GAIA on the iPhone in BC and NWT has worked perfectly.

24-Nov-17
I've used the Gaia GPS App on Kodiak earlier this month. Very useful. I liked it much more than I thought I would, and, in fact, I'll be using it over my Garmin this year. Much easier to use and layer maps. And cheaper. The only bad thing is the need for power backup, but it's not bad for a day or two at a time, and I could get rid of my habit of keeping tracking on.

24-Nov-17
I've used the Gaia GPS App on Kodiak earlier this month. Very useful. I liked it much more than I thought I would, and, in fact, I'll be using it over my Garmin this year. Much easier to use and layer maps. And cheaper. The only bad thing is the need for power backup, but it's not bad for a day or two at a time, and I could get rid of my habit of keeping tracking on.

24-Nov-17
Does gaia have the same layers as on x, as far as public such as blm, walk in areas?

24-Nov-17
I did the free trial for on X maps too.

At first I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Because I did not realize the GPS would work Without cell signal. It was great.

But then reality hit. I think it really depends which phone you have and battery life. The phone I have did not work so well. It ran through batteries even with everything else shut down in the background pretty quickly.

I am used to my little Garmin GPS being on for days at a time and still having plenty of juice left.

I wish someone made a Mophie like case for my phone that I could plug two AA lithium batteries into and be good to go for the whole hunt.

24-Nov-17
I no longer use my GPS. The only thing i could potentially see myself using it for is if I know I want to lay down a "trail." Phones seem to use more battery on that for whatever reason.

24-Nov-17
I still prefer the GPS, but it probably won't be long and the phone will end up taking over......as much as they cost they should.

24-Nov-17
If Garmin would get out of the 18th century they'd at least have a fighting chance.

24-Nov-17
I use both GAIA and On X but still carry my GPS. Will most likely not renew On X next year.

24-Nov-17
"If Garmin would get out of the 18th century they'd at least have a fighting chance."

But if you carry an inreach their app great with downloaded maps like the apps you mention.

24-Nov-17
I use my garmin inreach explorer synced with my phone. I use the phone for ease of texting messages to family through the gps and to have a larger view of maps. I would rather use the on x chip in the gps than the app on a phone.

24-Nov-17
My hunting buddy has the paid On X Hunt app and was showing me how it worked this spring while turkey hunting. There was a section of land for sale that we ran across and I decided to walk the perimeter with his phone to see how the boundaries lined up. There was no markers or flags to denote the boundaries until I got to the northeast corner. On X told me I was right on the corner and I looked up to see a marker about 5' away. That impressed me....enough that I downloaded the free version this fall and have been playing with it in the places I hunt.

24-Nov-17
""If Garmin would get out of the 18th century they'd at least have a fighting chance."

But if you carry an inreach their app great with downloaded maps like the apps you mention. "

It's not just maps, it's the memory, the screen, the custom map tile limit, the locked .jnx folder, the cpu ....

They were on the right track with the Montera and they just quit mid stride.

26-Jan-18
which GAIA app are you using?

All Trails, Hiking and Running Free GPS Classic $19.99 GPS Hiking Maps, Hike App Free GPS TopoBundle $19.99

I'm looking at the on chip which is compatible to my GPS but it is pricey

thanks

26-Jan-18
Im with pyrannah my Gaia app is showing a basic for 19.99 or premium for 39.99. Which one are you guys using?

26-Jan-18
Premium had the better sat imagery

26-Jan-18
I downloaded the free version, I then have in apppurchases I can make

Maybe buying it up front just includes all at once

26-Jan-18

Scrappy's Link
I found this info on Gaia membership vs. Premium. There's a discount down at the bottom. Clicking on the premium says error not available, clicking on regular members says discount will be applied at check out.

Looks like the premium version is the one that would be most useful but will wait til other guys that have been using it to chime in.

26-Jan-18
I'll stick with my 18th century Garmin 60csx. I've been right beside guys with the fancy newer gps' and had signals when they did not. Both In CO & NM. It's been a valuable and reliable tool for sure. Don't trust a phone app not to mention how fast they must run your battery down......

26-Jan-18

Well, well Bob finally switched to GAIA. Good, I welcome his cleverness on making everything better/more functional.

Well of course Steve Jobs was right. Your phone will become a do all device. It won't be long until there is a SPOT app for your phone....or InReach equal.

In another 10 year GPS units will go the way of the rotary dial home phone.

26-Jan-18
Garmin could have kept onx and Gaia from ever becoming players. They're giving up their handheld market by choice near as I can tell.

26-Jan-18
Is the 20 or 40 bucks a one time charge?

26-Jan-18
What's and app?????

26-Jan-18

Scrappy's Link
Charlie i see it's an annual fee.

I emailed them earlier about the 10% off on the premium version. They emailed me back with a good link.

26-Jan-18
Thanks scrappy!

27-Jan-18
"In NM elk hunting this year my buddy had an app on his i phone and it was really good but he did lose his signal a few time but my Garmin gps with a NM map from on x never missed a beat . He said let me see your gps a few times."

If you buddy had known he could pre-download everything he needed he would not have needed cell service. He could have put his phone in airplane mode, gotten much better battery life(with my phone it lasts just as long or longer than my brothers garmin) and never had to ask you to use your gps.

27-Jan-18
Bob, Garmins in trouble. It’s the whole Kodak thing all over again. Carmen had to be in a tough spot, they didn’t want to cannibalize their lucrative GPS unit sales, much like Kodak didn’t want to wreck their lucrative film business. But look where it left Kodak.

I’m not a big business guy but can you imagine a corporate meeting at Garmin 10 yrs ago were a very smart underling tells the big bosses they need to abandon the GPS units for an app? I bet that went over like a lead balloon...

Same for the guy at Kodak that had the audacity to suggest, “digital is the future”

I bet they canned more than one of those digital guys and now they are retired millionaires from some digital start up

27-Jan-18
I have both On X and Gaia my Android phone. I like them both but. They eat battery life and it's a pain to have my extra battery plugged in while I'm actually using my phone. Plus a handheld is more rugged and weather proof. Now for me to pick a new handheld, any suggestions?

27-Jan-18
I hunt a lot alone and often in super remote areas that don't get IPhone reception. The ideal scenario would be an InReach that has gps plus accepts OnX. Not sure if that is possible without using both a gps and InReach? It's re-assuring having satellite coverage in remote areas with InReach plus old reliable gps and my batteries have never gone blank on extended trips.

28-Jan-18
GAIA Isn’t a battery hog, it’s either wrong settings or operator error

28-Jan-18
"GAIA Isn’t a battery hog, it’s either wrong settings or operator error"

With me it's almost always operator error.

06-Apr-18
Bringing this back up.

I am wanting to put GAIA on my phone but am concerned about navigation?

Do I need to pick up a dedicated GPS for navigation or can I navigate from the GAIA app?

06-Apr-18
gaia should navigate just fine. That was a big complaint with OnX, no compass direction.

06-Apr-18
GAIA has gotten me back to the tent or truck for 3-1/2 years used a navigation tool. I use it on an iPhone (5 first and now 7). Love the aerial photo and maps (images and roads rolled into one).

As per a compass, with GAIA I can select N locked at the top of the screen or let the screen always float N no matter which direction the phone is pointed.

There are also free compass apps you can download.

06-Apr-18
+1 Kurt.

• Sitka Gear