Arrowflinger 30-Nov-17
Wapitidung 01-Dec-17
lineman21 01-Dec-17
venison 01-Dec-17
Paul@thefort 01-Dec-17
27-Nov-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
I love hunting White tailed deer in Nebraska as I can purchase an OTC tag for a reasonable price and the season lasts four months. And within a few hours from Ft. Collins Co, I can be in some prime hunting areas on public lands. Last year and on the forth day of my hunt I killed this "good eater" buck from my hide on the ground. And doing so on a SWA there the bucks never seem to reach maturity. I did ok. Well that was last year. So lets fast forward to Nov. 1, this year.

27-Nov-17

So I arrive in western Nebraska actually a few days earlier as to be able to scout around some. I know this SWA like the back of my hand but one never knows what actually is happening there until on gets there feet on the ground and sits behind their binoculars for a few days.

27-Nov-17

Sunrise
Sunrise
a long time ago someone lived here trying to make a living on the sod grass prairie
a long time ago someone lived here trying to make a living on the sod grass prairie
13 inch of rain does not support many trees
13 inch of rain does not support many trees
but one keep driving as things get better at the end of the road
but one keep driving as things get better at the end of the road
Actually driving east from Ft. Collins to Nebraska is pleasant and there might seem to be some unseen beauty to the flatlands.

27-Nov-17

so I set up my popup camper on the SWA grounds, and get comfortable as I will stay until the start on the rifle deer season on Nov. 11.

27-Nov-17
You've got my attention Paul. Looking forward to following this. Always enjoy your hunt recaps.

27-Nov-17

I tried to make a stalk but another truck came around the bend and scared him off as I was getting close.
I tried to make a stalk but another truck came around the bend and scared him off as I was getting close.
The next morning at first light finds me on a hill overlooking a cut bean field on the public land. This section is right adjacent of a large section of private ground that is more like mule deer habitat. Well look what shows up that morning in the bean field and on public land. Private is only 50 yards away and I am 150 yards away from this brute. At first all I saw of bone in the tall grass and then out steps.............

27-Nov-17
Excited for this one. Still have a tag to fill in NE this year and a chance to redeem myself.

27-Nov-17
Don't make us wait too long please!

27-Nov-17

and bucks in the early am before shooting light
and bucks in the early am before shooting light
and this small antlered mule deer courting a doe.
and this small antlered mule deer courting a doe.
I tried to hunt him two more days in a row but figured, mule deer bucks being mule deer bucks, and so near to endless tracks of private land, I would never see him again, and I was right. So I switch my plans back to hunting Wts. In the next few days I saw a lot of does and yearlings and some smaller bucks.

27-Nov-17
C’mon man...on with it! Tell me you killed that brute...

27-Nov-17
I wondered where you’ve been recently, Paul! Looking forward to this!

27-Nov-17
Awesome thread you got my attention

27-Nov-17
drum roll.............................................................................................................

27-Nov-17
Awesome so far! Keep’er rollin’ Paul!

27-Nov-17
Was good to hear your story and see your smile of success this morning my friend. Looking forward to the pics! Congrats again!

27-Nov-17
I got your phone message yesterday morning about your hunt...

I won’t tell :)

27-Nov-17

If you hunt the mid west you have to have a portable weather radio or some way to know what the next day's weather will be, ESPECIALLY, wind direction which can surely change by the hours and surely daily.. There is a typical wind direction report for the next 5 days. The reporter states," on Monday the wind will be calm in the morning and from the SW, but will be switching to the west by late after noon and gusting up to 15 mph ahead of a cold front.

Tuesday, Colder and still windy from the north, hazardous condition, winds to 25 gusting to 40.

Wed, Calmer winds, switching to the NE my noon and then SE by 6am.

Thursday, Strong but warmer wind condition from the south gusting to 25 in the am and the calmer in the pm.

Friday, Very calm winds from the Sw in the am but changing to the NW by late afternoon. ETC. ETC. ETC. ETC. WE have all been there and Nebraska is no exception for changing winds hourly and daily. So this is a very good reason I hunt off the ground in most cases. I can be mobile and change locations as the wind direction changes. I do place one or tree tree stand here and there.

27-Nov-17
Jeff, you are sooooo correct. I "finally" had a senior moment; well at least another one for sure. Thanks for the catch. The story continues. Paul

27-Nov-17

and 95% of the time as a buck
and 95% of the time as a buck
So I have 3-4 places I can hunt as the wind and conditions change. This is public land and there are other bow hunters around and respecting their areas is a must. And most of you know I really like to use a decoy to attract a deer into bow range. My Carry Lite decoy have served me well for the past 15 years or so.

27-Nov-17

I had a lots of does in the field and not paying much attention to the decoy. Oh, once in a while one would come over and check him out but then went back to feeding. I even had one does touch her nose to the decoy's noise. Interesting to watch their reaction.

So over the course of the next week or so I had four buck encounters with the decoy, one being a major one. Of the first two, there were small 2-4 pt but they both drifted too far down wind from the decoy and caught my scent with a cross wind. (lesson learned with a cross wind. Place the decoy as far upwind from the blind as possible as most bucks want to circle down wind and if they do so, you still have a good chance for a shot. (decoy to the far left of the picture.)

27-Nov-17
So, the first major buck on buck decoy encounter. Nearing last light, a med sized buck enters the field to join the existing does. He spots the decoy and comes head on from the right. Again a cross wing from right to left. I am on the ground 21 yards away and keep saying, "come on, come on"!. He is coming, all postured up, stiff legged, ears back. I am at full draw! He clears the field side brush, he is broad side but walking. I mouth grunt but he does not stop. I shoot. I hear a very loud WACK! The buck recoils back and charges out into the field limping and then stands there looking back at 65 yards. I hit him in the upper leg bone. Two inches farther back--dead deer. Arrow on the ground near the decoy, buck standing 65 yards away and then bounds away in the fading light. I come back the next morning to look for any good sigh of a hit, blood. NONE. Disappointed for sure. The story of this hunt continues later.

27-Nov-17
Thanks for your honesty!

27-Nov-17
Tough one there, Paul! Hopefully better luck coming your way soon!

27-Nov-17
Sorry you're shot went bad. Patiently waiting Paul for the rest of the story.

27-Nov-17
Ok, a few days later, around, Nov 6, peak of the rut for sure. Parked the truck and walked down a two track to a small food plot 10 minutes away, but harvested. Wind from the north. Had not hunted this spot this year. Plot 100 yards wide and 400 yards long. Still dark. Decided not to take the decoy as I did not know the condition of the plot. Arrived a few minutes later and spooked a small deer (most likely left by mom doe and she is out with her boy friend. Field had been harvested but some green here and there. This plot was also adjacent to private property, 500 yards away. A good funnel area back to the bedding areas. Went to the far end and set up just off the field 15 yards in the dark and try to develop a make shift blind next to a few trees and stumps. It is getting lighter. Working on the blind but across the field and along the opposite wood line I see two small buck closing in on each other, at 4 pt and a 3 pt. They posture towards each other. I grunt and then doe bleat. Like on the string, here they both come side by side and straight to me. I hardly had time to get ready and did not have enough cover in front of me. I hunker down some and the larger buck was now head on at 15 yards and staring holes in the place I was setting. I tried to draw and needed a second. He only gave me 1/2 second, and they both were gone. Dam!!!!!!!!!! Another close encounter. That was cool for sure. I will bring the buck decoy in the morning if the wind is ok. If I had only decided to bring it along this morning, oh well. There is that word again----- "IF". More to come.

27-Nov-17
Paul, I hope you get redemption !

27-Nov-17
Fun fun fun!! You should look into oklahoma some time!!

27-Nov-17
Awesome stuff Paul! Keep it coming!

27-Nov-17
Great fun to read your posts, Paul. Many thanks.

27-Nov-17
Love reading this thread every year.

27-Nov-17

That night I kept thinking about the past morning action and planned to be better prepared in the morning. The weather report was favorable with again, a north wind. Got up earlier that expected.------ " tossed and turned all night" as the song goes. At o'dark thirty I left the truck and headed back to the blind with my decoy slung over my back. I had built up the blind with brush and a few large slabs of cottonwood tree bark before I left. Cleared a few bits of tall grass out front. The sun would be at my back so I would be in the shadows and any deer coming from the front would have no idea I was there.

The same yearling deer I had spooked in the dark last morning was there again and it hopped into the woods without a sound, on the same side that my blind was on but 200 yards shy of my blind. In the blind before shooting light, good wind, compound bow set up and within arms reach. Now I wait to see what action might be heading my way. Maybe the two young bucks would show up again and even an other buck.

An hour passes with turkey yelps and coyote's songs near by. Wait! cracking of brush behind me in the thicket. Probably that young deer from this morning but I stand with bow in hand just in case and face in that direction. I see some movement and just a glimpse of tan fur. A quiet deer snort, sort of confirming a young deer----- I stand for a minute and then set down on my small stool and face out into the field waiting for any action that might come my way. LITTLE DID I KNOW THAT ACTION WAS ONLY A FEW SECONDS AWAY, AND COMING FROM THE DIRECTION I WAS NOT LOOKING. I did not hear my guardian angel, saying " Paul, get ready and turn around!!!!!!!!!!".

27-Nov-17
No need to rush it.... I'm running through baseball stats in my head right now........

27-Nov-17
Well I heard something behind me and turned my head in that direction, still setting on the stool. No bow in hand. From out of the shallow, brush covered gully behind me, out steps a mature doe 15 yards away and she quickly advances to within 8 yards of me. She then freezes in stride as she spots the buck decoy out front. I can not move and to make things worse, there is a mature buck following her just back a few steps. The doe's attention is on the decoy but at the same time is quite aware that there is buck pushing her around and coming up behind her. She has no idea I am hunkered down only 8 yards away. Even if I had my bow in hand, there was no shot opportunity. The buck also sees the decoy, circles on the other side of the doe and heads out into the field to check out what he believe is an intruder. Typical buck reaction, stiff legs, turns almost sideways to show a larger body to the decoy buck, ears back, fur up, closing in on the decoy head on and only 15 yards away but behind some cover. Heading right at the decoy. There might be a crash of plastic and bone and fur. I see the doe's head starting to turn in my direction as the wind is starting to swirl. She pegs me!!!!!!!!!!!!! A loud snort from her send both deer into the next county. Dammmmmm! again and again.

28-Nov-17

28-Nov-17

Going, going ------------gone
Going, going ------------gone

28-Nov-17
Ok, full moon on Nov 4th and not seeming many deer in the early am. so I decide to be in the tree stand at noon in another location. At one o'clock, I see a doe heading my way and trailing behind her a mature buck 30 yards behind her. She stops, he stops, she moves, he moves, she angles off, he follows, too far for a shot and too much brush in the way. Oh well. another day in the woods. I have been seeing deer every day but have only hunted the same spot two days in a row, twice. More close encounters off and on. Concentrating on a buck of any size. Had does almost in hand.

28-Nov-17
Love the story Paul, now get with it and finish it for us.

28-Nov-17
Paul, great work so far. Can't wait to hear the rest. Totally agree with you about scouting out there for a couple of days to see what has changed.

28-Nov-17
Getting close to the rifle deer season on Nov. 11 and will head home the afternoon of the 10th. Played cat and mouse for the next few days with a few does and smaller bucks. Did see one 130ish WT buck on private land near the public but never again. Tried a new location, no luck. Tried the tree stand again and missed a small buck at 32 yards-- shot over. Talked with a few other bow hunters who were successful on smaller bucks and does. No big guys killed that I knew of but I was meat hunting of sorts and if I had a chance to return, as the saying goes, " if brown, its down". The corn fields were just starting to be harvested and a few of the fields adjacent to the SWA were standing tall and thick; great refuges for the deer during rifle season, if still standing. The 10th came and went and I headed home sort of rejected. Called Tricia on the cell phone and relayed my disappointment of not killing a deer and ask her if she had made plans for Thanksgiving day. She said, " yes I have for me as I would expect you will want to go back to Nebraska to hunt deer again after the rifle season ends in 9 days.?"

I SMILED!! November 20th was just around the corner. I gave her a kiss and hug through the phone.

28-Nov-17
Well, the next ten days just melted away. I am the CBA banquet chairman for the March 2018 statewide event here Ft. Collins, so I had a few meetings to conduct and auction/raffle items to be found. Even hung Christmas lights on the house. All went well and before long, the last day of the Nebraska rifle deer season was a day old. I had planned on leaving on Nov 23rd as that would give me a full week before the ML rifle season kicked in on Dec. 1, but I had 'ants in my pants', so I headed back on Nov. 20 and arrived there that afternoon. Not surprising, there was evidence that in every possible camping spot, there had been rifle hunters, camped and or parked. I chose a different camping spot deeper in the trees where I would not be affected by the wind as much and there was a good hunting spot I could hike to and being farther away and surrounded on two sides, by private, there were a good chance, a few of the deer had escaped over the fence. Actually this was the same field where I had hit the buck in the shoulder bone two weeks before; I needed a southerly wind. Checking my weather radio, the prediction was fair weather for the next week, no moisture in the forecast, but of course, changing wind direction every day.

28-Nov-17

So the next morning finds me high on a hill looking across parts of the SWA for any sign of deer that had survived the on-slot of rifle hunters. 3/4 of a mile away I spot this small buck courting a doe far up on the hill and on private land. Just as expected, there was still deer around. Later I see this spike Mule deer buck.

28-Nov-17

OH ya. What are you look at?
OH ya. What are you look at?

28-Nov-17

So lets fast forward a few days to Nov 25th. The night before, I was back in the cut bean field where I had the decoy/buck encounter. I set up in a different place with a light cross wind and used my older T-2 blind as the hide. The buck decoy was placed 18 yards away and out in front. I placed a few cut pine limbs on and around the blind to blend in. I figured the deer, as usual, would be coming in from the left. Very calm wind blowing from left to right. As the sun dropped below the tops of the trees a few deer, does and young fawns come out and graze 50 yards away. The decoy does not cause any suspicion that a hunter is near by. While a doe might be on the menu, I would not kill one with young of the year fawns. Almost last light and I hear a snort from my left and just beyond the edge of the field out steps a 3pt buck. He spots the decoy and heads that way. I am thinking there is my chance to fill the freezer. The buck is trying to get down wind and circles to the outside of the decoy and slightly away from me but still coming closer. Still he moves to the right but instead of turning in on the rear of the decoy offering me a good broad side shot at 20 yards, he continues to drift farther down wind and outside of my shooting lane. Too far downwind, he catches my scent, hesitates for only a few seconds, no shot opportunity, and is gone, Freezer remains empty. Pic, view of my decoy set up through the window of the blind. I do believe if I had set up the decoy farther upwind and to the left, the buck would have been in a shooting position as he circled around.

28-Nov-17
Dang it....have to go to work!

28-Nov-17

As I drove around doing some scouting a few days before, I had noticed that the 1/4 section corn field just a few hundred yards from my ladder stand had not been cut and I bet that standing corn had saved a few deer's lives during the rifle season. Later I spoke with the farmer and he said they had pushed a few deer out that morning and then headed to the SWA and just over the hill. The corn would be totally harvested by evening. I knew where I would be in the morning. I had hunted this stand a few times in the morning and had seen a few deer prior to the rifle season but it had dried up after that season. Worth a try in the morning as the deer would not be hiding in the standing corn.

28-Nov-17

ok, in the tree stand before first light, and the decoy set up just beyond as seen in the picture. Very light winds and the cooler morning currents were changing every few minutes, coming down slope and then backing up the other way. I continued to check my wind direction string attached to my bow and also sent out a few white power puffs from my wind detector bottle. A couple of my arrows have a lighted nock attached which I use during the first hours in the morning and the last hour of the evening. I then switch arrows when it get lighter in the morning to an unlighted nocked arrow.

So an hour in, I stand up and face the tree to switch arrows. Bow in one hand I take the arrow off of the string and in a few seconds, the other arrow would be ready.

Isn't it interesting that the deer seem to just know when to show up undetected"!!!!! Yea they did and coming on and within bow range.

28-Nov-17
you need a lucky hat, rabbits foot or horseshoe cause your juju is terrible this year, hope it turns around for the better.

28-Nov-17

The first doe deer had all ready gone through the shooting lane 28 yards to my right (opposite of there the decoy was set up). I quickly readied the arrow and then noticed another larger doe following 20 yards behind. She noticed the decoy, stopped, and then crossed through the opening, following the other deer. I mouth grunted to stop her. Arrow on its way.

28-Nov-17

Good hit and pass through

28-Nov-17

every few yards
every few yards
A good hit indeed as was indicated by the blood trail. A bow hunter's dream tracking job.

I climb down and start on the track; easy to follow

28-Nov-17

28-Nov-17

and at the end of the rainbow, a mature, fat White Tailed doe and just a few hours from the home freezer. This doe was larger that some of the smaller bucks I had seen and I was very happy and proud to turn her wild game meat into high grade protein for the family.

So FINALLY, it happened. A good close range encounter with a wild animal. Fair chase all the way. It took me a few hours to field dress and carry the bone out meat to the truck. I figured six different meals from both of the back straps, one good meal from the tenderloins plus a sandwich the next day. Ended up with 30 # of burger meat which I will blend in 7 # of pork shoulder meat; another 25 meals. And then what was left in the field, the coyotes and other critters will make short of. Nothing went to waste and what bits are left, gets recycled back into the earth for the next generations of plants and animals.

28-Nov-17
Awesome story Paul, It kept me coming back for more. Congrats on a big Doe too! Good eats right there.

28-Nov-17
Another great adventure, congrats Paul...the last post says it all!

28-Nov-17

beauty of the flat land
beauty of the flat land
The ride back to Colorado was a joy filled with great memories of every day of the hunt. Some very close encounters, some not. The wild critters I hunt always teach me some new things each season and as I have stated before, " they are full time wild animals, and we are only part time hunters.."

OK, Finally, the END. Well at least until next time. Archery goose season is just around the corner. my best, Paul

PS, had deer liver last night cooked in flour, bacon bits and onions. Looking forward to cooking up the heart. The call the liver and heart the "fifth quarter" of the animal.

28-Nov-17
Great story, and congratulations sir!

28-Nov-17
Congrats Paul!! Enjoy your stories so much!!!

28-Nov-17
Very well done Paul. Was this your first with a recurve?

28-Nov-17

Curt, actually shot this doe with my compound "meat" bow. I have killed a few deer with the stick like this PY Nebraska buck.

28-Nov-17
Great write-up Paul. Congrats on another successful trip!

28-Nov-17
Excellent story and result as always Paul! Congrats on your doe and filling the freezer! Looking forward to following along with you on the geese this winter. Best of luck!

28-Nov-17
Good story Paul. Looking forward to the goose stories and pics now. Thanks !

28-Nov-17
The king of hunt recaps blesses us with another one!! Thanks for sharing that outstanding hunt Paul!

28-Nov-17
I usually start the archery goose hunt mid Dec when it gets colder, some snow and the lakes and ponds start to freeze. I just checked in with the land owner and I have permission. Some geese around but have not noticed a lot of "yard hoppers" yet where I hunt. So far the weather has been mild. Might be later this year and into the new year.

28-Nov-17
Way to go Paul! I enjoyed your story.

28-Nov-17
Congratulations Paul. Another great recap!

28-Nov-17
Another great story Paul, congrats! FM

28-Nov-17
Great recap Paul! Thank you and CONGRATS!

28-Nov-17
Congrats!!

28-Nov-17
Thanks for the story and pics.

Congratulation on a nice buck.

28-Nov-17
Great story Paul. Congrats on the doe! Ken

28-Nov-17
Thanks for the story and congrats, Paul!

28-Nov-17
Thanks for the story and congrats.

28-Nov-17
Great story telling Paul!

Thanks for taking us along again this year!

Good luck on those geese and remember to take plenty of snacks along for Chase!

Mark

28-Nov-17
Enjoyed it Paul... congratulations.

28-Nov-17
Another well told adventure Paul! Congrats on the doe.

28-Nov-17
Thanks for the story Paul.

28-Nov-17
I always enjoy a good Paul@thefort story. This one certainly didn't disappoint. Thanks

28-Nov-17
Good going Paul. Great hunt.

28-Nov-17
Thanks for bringing us along Paul! Great pics and story, as usual. Congrats on the doe...... they sure dress out better than a goose..... =D Will be looking forward to the goose hunts though.... bet Chase is already badgering you.....

28-Nov-17
Very cool story Paul...Thanks for taking us along.

28-Nov-17
Fantastic read as usual Paul!

28-Nov-17
Thanks for another great story Paul.

28-Nov-17
Great story and awesome pictures as always Paul. Thank you for sharing. Ready to follow some goose hunts with you and Chase as well!

28-Nov-17
Congratulations Paul! Great story, pictures and outcome!

Thanks!!

28-Nov-17
Nice work Paul - congrats!

28-Nov-17
Another awesome bow hunt, Paul! Great story and pictures!

28-Nov-17
Thanks for a great diversion!! I’m sitting in a tree stand, below freezing and wind howling from the wrong direction. But my hope is renewed after following along as you persevered

But man, I’m just craving some liver and onions now so much, I swear I can smell some cooking!!

28-Nov-17
Another great thread and story. Some of the best on Bowsite!

Thanks for sharing Paul and Happy Holidays :)

28-Nov-17
Great story and photos. Thank you for posting! Hunt

28-Nov-17
Congrats Paul and thanks once again for sharing the experience!

28-Nov-17
Great story, I always enjoy your adventures. Interesting that you live in Ft.Collins. We lived in Rawlins, Wy for a bit over a year (2007,2008). I HATED everything about living there. But the family and I took several trips to Ft.Collins and absolutely loved it. It seemed the people were nicer and it was just a great city. We are back in WI again since 2009 and where I lived my whole life before that terrible year in WY. But we really wanted to move to Ft.Collins. It just turned out work and house wise to move back home.

28-Nov-17
PS - Finely done my friend!

28-Nov-17

28-Nov-17

28-Nov-17

Ambush, if you are still craving liver and onions, check this out. Dinner last night. That should get your mouth watering and maybe warm you up some. Paul

28-Nov-17
Paul, that’s just cruel!! I just drooled on my screen.

Now I’m second guessing on letting a little buck walk this morning. If it was an option, I’d rather have a big old doe.

You may have sealed the little buck’’s fate, with that pan pic, if he should return!!

28-Nov-17
Thanks for sharing the adventure!!!

28-Nov-17
Excellent!

28-Nov-17
Great story and you had a good hunt with meat in the freezer. Thanks for taking us along on your adventure. Congrats!

28-Nov-17

Mark, Chase is ready as I am. Ya, lot of dog treats for the wonder dog.

28-Nov-17
Paul, great story as usual. You have so many encounters on the ground - either with pop-up or natural blind. You are creative, you think beyond the tree-stand for whitetails. I believe your whitetail buck last year (and possibly other years) was from a natural ground blind?

28-Nov-17
Congrats Paul.

29-Nov-17
Congrats Paul, thanks for taking us along. All says enjoy the hunt recap and your writing style. Glad you got to enjoy our fine state!

29-Nov-17
You ought'a do a goose hunting video when you make it out. I think that would be a pretty cool and unusual bit of entertainment.

29-Nov-17
Nice story Paul. Thanks for sharing and congrats on taking a fine doe.

29-Nov-17
Congrats Paul! Enjoy the heart. It’s one of my favorites.

30-Nov-17
Congrats Paul. I almost missed this thread. Glad I found it. Nicely done.

I saved a liver off my deer this year for my dad. I think I'll have to cut it in half and fry myself some liver. Liver and onions was always part of deer camp when I first started hunting some 40 years ago.

30-Nov-17
Thanks Dale, I am also a big fan of the wild game liver. Actually had two meals from it and the second one seemed to be even better than the first meal. I plan on fixing the heart in a similar way. my best, Paul

30-Nov-17
Congrats Paul, enjoyed the story as always!

01-Dec-17
Thanks for the story Paul

01-Dec-17
That country looks awful familiar Paul! My two friends from Pennsylvania were back hunting and said they visited with you up there. They each ended up shooting nice mule deer bucks on my dads farm about 3 miles east of where they visited with you.

01-Dec-17
Congrats , nice tasty doe , thanks for sharing , always like reading about your hunts !

01-Dec-17
Cole, it should. :)

• Sitka Gear