txhunter58 29-Nov-17
Jaquomo 29-Nov-17
27-Nov-17

standswittaknife's Link
Pretty good article to read and be aware of

27-Nov-17
Very interesting and informative article

27-Nov-17
That`s one way to get people to stop hunting....fear mongering. If you eat deer meat you will turn into Norman Bates.

28-Nov-17
For all you guys and gals in States like Colorado or Wisconsin where cwd has been for years, does it even come into your thinking? I know the media and to some extent the dnr here in Michigan seems to be pushing the fear factor with this but is it really a concern? Mad cow was from cattle eating blood meal from sheep if I remember correctly. Wouldn't that mean it's transferred only if eating nervous tissue? Also I would think cow-sheep-deer are closely related but humans not so much. Just wondering what you all have seen in you States? I'm just not convinced that the "shoot every deer" strategy is the right one.....

Craig

28-Nov-17
Where I Deer hunt in Colorado we are required to have all Deer and Elk Tested and a few have tested positive for CWD. I have never personally had one tested that was positive.

28-Nov-17
Rock is there a cost to have them tested?

28-Nov-17
The thing that has me a little worried was the incubation time from that Canadian study- 6-7 years in those monkeys that they tested and the fact those Prions causing it are very hard to destroy....dang things live on in the host, soil, etc.

The USDA needs to start taking this more seriously and do some extensive testing.

28-Nov-17
Everyone seemed to think this wasn’t a huge issue or would ever develop in to a big issue.. the facts are it is spreading and getting worse.. how can that be so easily dismissed?

28-Nov-17
It gets dismissed when funds (grants) run out

28-Nov-17
We have CWD all around here where I live. They test our deer for us if we want and it doesn't take to long to get results back. I know of one person that had a positive deer and he tossed the meat before he consumed it. Doesn't bother me I keep hunting and have my deer checked out.

28-Nov-17
The problem is testing. In some states it's easy, in others its an ordeal. With this hitting the mainstream media I hope it motivates research into a more streamlined testing system.

cnelk: do you get Wyo elk tested? In Wyoming?

28-Nov-17
The cow elk I shot last December in Wyoming did not get tested.

It wasn’t mandatory so I didn’t

And I ate the meat

28-Nov-17
I found the article frustrating in that it basically opened up a bunch of questions without reaching any conclusions.

28-Nov-17
Same here. We considered getting it tested but adding a day of travel to hit the lab in Laramie when they're open was not a good option after a week of hunting and 900 miles of driving ahead.

28-Nov-17
"frustrating in that it basically opened up a bunch of questions without reaching any conclusions"

This is the heart of the problem with CWD. We don't have enough info yet. What we know scares me, but not as much as what we don't know.

29-Nov-17
I'll post this again... Here in the core endemic area where it was first "discovered", hunters, families and neighbors have been eating thousands of infected deer and elk for at least 60 years, probably decades longer. Possibly forever. The incidence of CJD-V (human version of CWD) is LOWER here than the national average. This is all old news to us. I don't personally know any hunters who get their animals tested anymore, at least not that anyone talks about, unless it's a mandatory deal.

29-Nov-17
Yep, absolutely true. But scrapie was in sheep for eons before something mutated and it became CWD. Now we are a lot more different from deer than deer are from sheep, so I hope over eons of time you are proved to be right. But we really don't know yet.

29-Nov-17

• Sitka Gear