Bowfreak 13-Dec-17
APauls 13-Dec-17
Bowfreak 13-Dec-17
craig@work 13-Dec-17
Pigsticker 13-Dec-17
Pigsticker 13-Dec-17
Pigsticker 13-Dec-17
30-Nov-17
Any experience with the Magnus Buzzcut broadhead vs. the standard edge? Which is better in your opinion?

30-Nov-17
you are splitting hairs here........they are both best in class and it matters not one bit which.

30-Nov-17
I have used every flavor of stinger and ser razor and I went with the serrated version. I had better blood trails by far with them. Flight is identical. The 4 blades leave a big hole! And as a plus most animals I have shot don't react much at the shot-kick and maybe run 20-30 yards, then stop and look around until they drop. Makes for short tracking jobs. As a side-I'm not paid to use them so not a hero!

30-Nov-17
All great broadheads. I have become a fan of the suraded . In fact the black hornet ser-razor has become my favorite that they make.

30-Nov-17
I've used both but prefer the Buzzcuts. There both lethal as long as you do your part.

30-Nov-17
Flip a coin you can't go wrong with either.

30-Nov-17
Both are simply the best money can buy. Serrated edges will cause more cutting trauma leading to more blood loss.

30-Nov-17
Can’t go wrong with any Magnus products. The quality and customer service is outstanding.

30-Nov-17
I use a kme broadhead sharpener and leather strop on mine. No issues.

30-Nov-17
^^^^ SAME HERE^^^^ Awesome Heads!

30-Nov-17
“well I asked a surgeon about serrated edges,,,, he said to me, if you want to cause a lot of internal damage, go with the serrated edge, compared to a clean scapel edge,,,,”

JMO, there’s about a 99% chance that he misinterpreted the point of the question.

Because the “ripping & tearing” action that some serrated head proponents, marketers, fan-boys and pro-staff heroes like to talk about is the LAST thing that a Bowhunter would want.

That kind of trauma releases all manner of clotting factors which help stanch the bleeding quickly, leading to shorter, lighter blood trails that Peter out before the animal has a chance to tip over.

A good, clean cut from a scalpel-sharp head, on the other hand...

Put it this way: I sliced into the pad of my index finger with the trailing edge of a Stinger and the bleeding didn’t stop for 3 days, at which point I superglued it shut.

JMO, if equally sharp to begin with, the biggest advantage of a serrated edge is that the high points protect the low points on contact with something hard, like a bone.

A smooth edge hitting heavy bone will get rolled along its entire length (assuming the bone doesn’t shatter); with a serrated edge, just the points of the serrations will probably be damaged, leaving a lot more undamaged cutting edge to do the important work,

So I see serrations as one of those “can’t hurt anything” propositions that might actually provide a meaningful benefit some of the time... but ONLY so long as you can get them and keep them just as sharp as a smooth edge.

And BTW... those Stingers are so darn sharp that I won’t use them with my quivers because those sharp trailing edges have proven themselves too dangerous. If I had a bow-mounted quiver, they’d probably be my go-to screw-in head for deer.

30-Nov-17
Matt you sir have way to much time on your hands and put way to much thought into this subject. My brain hurts now!!! He he.

30-Nov-17
I chuckle when I hear about serrated edges allowing for faster clotting. Is the blood going to clot in a few second 100 yard dash? I doubt it. If it’s a lethal hit it’s a lethal hit. If the deer can make it far enough with the amount of time for it to clot I doubt it is a mortal hit.

30-Nov-17
Don’t forget when they break you can return it for a new one.

30-Nov-17
2 things. 1st - doubt the "clotting" factor happens in the 100 yd dash (as said above). 2nd - they are not a true serration so they are very easy to sharpen.

30-Nov-17
Black Hornet fly's great. Great company!

30-Nov-17
" Is the blood going to clot in a few second 100 yard dash? I doubt it. "

Of course not; everybody says that if you hit 'em right, a steel blunt will do, and there's some truth to that.

OTOH....

On a marginal hit where the blood pressure is low to begin with and you do need to give that animal a good hour to expire... When I sliced my fingertip with that Stinger, it was a damned nuisance to have a 3/8", 1/8" deep gash start dripping blood every time I took off the bandage for the better part of a week, but given the rate of blood flow just from my fingertip, if that were happening in the margins of my lungs without the ability to apply pressure (and duct tape) , it could add up pretty fast... especially if you multiply the 1/8" depth of the cut out to the width of the head, and the length of it to the length of the entire wound channel.

And that's only the internal bleed. A clean entry and exit and you've got something of a gusher.

Scrappy - I thought all of this stuff through 30-some years ago when I was learning anatomy & physiology and then teaching in while I was in grad school in WYO... Lucky for me, most of it stuck!

30-Nov-17
I've never hit an animal with this broadhead that I did not watch expire. Fly amazing!!! Last mule deer kill was 88 yards he went 2 steps. 5 years 5 muleys

30-Nov-17
How do they hold up to solid bone hits?

30-Nov-17
I prefer the 2 blade buzz cut heads. Shot 2 and 4 blade and the two blade like said above when shot into an animal the seem not to react much. All my animals jump and run about 20 yards and stand around and wonder what happened til they fall over dead. I have watched two blade 100 grain buzz cut pass through mature rosevelt bulls like a hot knife through butter. Customer service is second to none and if you do damage one... send em and they will send you new ones. Am I a fan boy? Absolutely. Great product and great service. And must say: I am not compensated in any way nor am I affiliated with Magnus.

30-Nov-17
GF if your cut isn’t healing in a few days you may want to get looked at. Razor cut or not that honestly sounds like a problem. What would you do if you cut yourself with a havalon on a fly in hunt?

30-Nov-17

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
My wife bought some buzzcuts on eBay over the summer. We always used 4-blade stingers with great results. She zipped through this buck at 33 yards. Buck ran 10 yards, leaking everywhere. Fell over stone dead in seconds. I just can't get away from Magnus heads... Super sharp, fly great, easy to sharpen and the best warranty out there, period.

Also... like RJ Hunt said, we are not compensated by anyone. We just like the way they fly, the sharpness, the ability to resharpen, the way they kill, and the warranty is the topper.

30-Nov-17
That 20 yard jump and then stand around looking like "what was that?" then legs crumple and deer dies is exactly what happened to the last doe I shot with a 4 blade stinger. I like slick tricks and have used them for years on almost all of my whitetail but Magnus Stingers have gotten me a black bear and a death moan and one doe. Might make magnus my go to broadhead next year.

30-Nov-17

splitlimb13's embedded Photo
Quartering towards me straight through shoulder out behind the right shoulder at 53 yards.

30-Nov-17

Same story with this guy at 20 yards except through the right shoulder
Same story with this guy at 20 yards except through the right shoulder

30-Nov-17
Thanks, Adam, but I’ve always clotted like a Mother... so long as clotting factors are released...

Some amphibians will regenerate a lost limb when a predator takes one off, but if you make a clean, surgical job of it, there’s no such luck.

01-Dec-17
Splitlimb, you Andy’s friend that hunted the gila this year?

01-Dec-17
In my experience, the Buzzcut is one of the best inexpensive heads on the market. You really have to see one to understand the chisel serrations...they cut like crazy.

Did someone really use blood clotting as an argument against them? Ha. My guess is they have never actually held a Buzzcut in their hand- wicked sharp....and consider; min clotting time is appx 10 min or more. If your animal isn't dead by that time....it has nothing to do with blood clotting.

01-Dec-17
Jeff ,I'm sorry to say that I am hahaha ... JK that's one of best friends, that guy is top drawer !!! Gila? No elk there haha

01-Dec-17
Are any of you guys running the 2 blade heads still? I am considering just using a 2 blade buzzcut for elk next year. Great heads for sure.

01-Dec-17
I see no point in them. They are a good head though, decent profile and coc in a two blade equals short blood trails, regardless of brand. I would personally just stick with a smooth edge for resistance sake, even though I doubt it means much but I doubt there is any real gain going serrated either.

01-Dec-17
I'm pretty set on 2-blades, which maybe doesn't count around here, seeing as I don't own anything with a cable on it....

Interesting to note, though....

A lot of people disbelieve that you can get an "adequate" or "reliable" blood trail from a 2-blade, or they think they'll get a shorter, heavier blood trail if they use some ginormous mechanical.... But just an observation....

An awful lot of guys who use 2-blade heads have noticed that they get a lot of complete, arrow-in-the-dirt pass-throughs, even with the piddling 25-45 fpe that a trad-bow will produce. They also often report that a deer that doesn't have an arrow sticking out of it will usually not run very hard nor very far. My brother hit a cow Elk through both lungs with a Stinger 2-blade and she just stood there looking for the source of that weird noise she'd just heard... OTOH, I've never seen a deer hit with a mechanical that didn't haul outta there like it had a JATO bottle up its butt.

If you shoot a compound, I'm sure that adding the bleeders to a Stinger/BuzzCut would not make a huge difference in your penetration, save maybe on a really massive bone, so if you like bleeders, then go with it.

But overall, I just have to wonder if the Really Big Broadhead contingent wouldn't actually get better results if they were instead to use a 1 1/8" - 1 1/4" 2-blade that penetrates like a shaped charge and doesn't cause the deer to run nearly so hard or so far...

01-Dec-17
GF, in my experience that is true. I killed a ton of deer and some elk with NAP Spitfires and ALL but one ran as hard as it possibly could after being hit ( that one was a pass thru ) but others were as well and mostly they ran like hell!

Now since going to traditional bows and coc heads, I find the animals much less reactive to the shot and dying just as quickly, and, if shot placement is good and I have an exit hole, a 1" two blade leaves plenty of blood. Honestly, I have yet to need a blood trail to find an animal, they don't make 100 yards even on a dead run. I hunt a lot of open country but even on the tree'd river bottoms I never have a problem finding deer.

01-Dec-17
Mark that's all I ever shoot are two blades. A lot of elk have fallen to them.

02-Dec-17
I have shot deer with 2 blades and have had great results.

03-Dec-17
I too think guys would get better results if they did things like I do.

04-Dec-17
Sitting here in Japan (visiting my Daughter ,Son inlaw and my precious Grand-daughters) ,military,Enjoy reading the forms while away from my Wi Hunting Interested in Different Broadhead for my daughter Think the buzz cut might be an option for her She shoots about 46 Lbs ,Right now shoots a Thunder head 85 I guess because I also shoot a Thunderhead 100 Which I like She has killed 2 deer but looking for a little better penitration for her lower poundage Can a guy who always used replaceable blades learn how to sharpen them EmbryOakahoma What is your wife’s set up ( if u don’t mind) Thanks Guys

04-Dec-17
The buzzcut serration arguably give a bit more cutting surface and the little dips might help cut arteries more. They are sharp, so this isn't like Fred Bear's rough filed edge.

04-Dec-17
David, I wonder if the little 'dips' could possibly grab a wad of hair and pull it into the wound and actually inhibit cutting?

Either way, my opinion is its a gimmick that sells but also a gimmick that works at killing just like any other sharp coc head that is designed to slice instead of chop.

04-Dec-17
I've shot both heads ,I'm very picky with broadheads especially when elk are on the end . The serrated heads cause more damage ,and just plain n simple I've noticed the animals hit with the serrated blades don't want to move after impact as much . I've actually cut myself with the serrated and it was the most painful cut I've endured and took forever to heal.

04-Dec-17
Tradmt, I think they would cut through the hairs easily and when encountering the next layer of muscle, etc. the serrations would be cleared. I think splitlimb13's comments are important because he has tried both. Would appreciate comments from anyone else who have tried both. That said, I have had massive blood tails from the normal blade in a four blade Magnus...

04-Dec-17
What more damage did they do? I cut a 1" slice with the heads I'm using and as far as 'damage', I see very little but the critter is stone dead in 15 seconds or less.

You're probably right David, I still say it's 6 of one and half dozen the other.

04-Dec-17
Full disclaimer ... I am with Magnus. That being said, please buy any brand of head that you want, lots of great ones out there. I am not here to sell you a broadhead, but I will probably get put in a timeout for chiming in ... so be it.

But since this is a Magnus topic, I will simply comment on the chisel serration vs the smooth blade. In my opinion, I agree a bit with tradmt above "6 of one and half dozen the other". I have killed many deer with both serrated and non-serrated for over 15 years now. Both kill deer fast when I do my part. I tend to lean towards the serrated personally for no other reason than in my mind I like them. I will say that reports back from actual customers in the field say that holes appear larger and blood trails better with the serrated versions. What I will say that this is subjective in most cases because we can never duplicate the same kill twice with different heads, no matter the brand.

Again, I am not here to sell a brand of head ... Bowsite disclaimer ...

04-Dec-17
Thx for your input, DEC. I'll just add I'm glad Magnus is making the solid main blade on some models. I used to be a bit critical of the older heads, but the current lineup is superb, lots of choices.

04-Dec-17
I use both types and I always put two of each in my 4 arrow quiver. I never put them in certain order, They both have done the job the last two yrs in Kansas I only shoot 50lbs in my Mathews because of my age (85)

04-Dec-17
Dang Bob 85 and still truckin! Awesome

04-Dec-17
Year ago we bowfished a few sharks. Getting them cut up fast and in the cooler is paramount for good taste. My Cutco serrated knife became the favorite of everyone, it held it's edge MUCH longer than any non-serrated blade, steaking sharks can dull a knife quickly.

I feel a serrated edge helps keep the cutting edge sharper longer. Would benefit on mud encrusted boars and elk. I've seen other fixed heads curl and dull just on the hide alone...

Another way to handle it would be to use a premium steel like Iron Will or Bishop S7 to hold the edge, but I think the Black Hornet Serrated is one of the best buys in mainstream , reasonably priced fixed heads.

04-Dec-17
Hey all, I am responding because our buzzcut heads were mentioned and wanted to give you my take on them, not only as a bowhunter for 37 years but to tell you the differences I have seen, having taken animals with every broadhead we make. The serration we use on our serrated broadheads is a chisel serration, and a chisel serration doesn't grab on to hair but slices thru the hair so has not to impede penetration. Knives like the one mentioned by Krieger has a scalloped serration which on a broadhead would grab onto the hair and impede penetration.

On every animal I have taken and the tests we have done have shown the serrated to always make a bigger hole while still penetrating like the regular smooth blade.

In my opinion, based on being a machinest and also making broadheads for 33 years, holding an edge depends not only on quality of the steel but also the hardness of the steel. We use 420 stainless steel and we harden them on a Rockwell hardness range of 49 to 52RC.

04-Dec-17
Mike, I like the look of the Black Hornet. Do you think that model has any pros over the regular stinger or buzzcut?

04-Dec-17
spike78-the black hornet/black hornet ser razor has a 1 1/4 cutting width on them and they do make a bigger hole. They fly as good as a stinger/stinger buzzcut as we dial in every broadhead so the total tip runout is .003 thousands or less of a inch. Head to head I would say stinger/stinger buzzcut penetrate just a little better but it also depends on your setup as far as the weight of your arrow and poundage of your bow. Thank you

04-Dec-17
125 4blade buzzcut on a 30in GT trad 400. Shot from a 58 lb Martin Dreamcatcher. 20 yd shot at a doe. Arrow went right through the chest and stuck in the ground. When I pulled it out, it had a huge wad of hair stuck to it. Not dissing these heads, I like the results. But they can definitely pull a lot of hair through the wound channel. Deer only went about 60 yds.

05-Dec-17
How does a buzz cut make a bigger hole if it's the same width as a regular stinger? Or is it wider? I have never handled a buzz cut.

05-Dec-17
Mph, that wad of hair might have been on the exit side when momentum was less than entry?

05-Dec-17
David A, that could be true. I thought about that after my post. I will say this, at impact, the deer jumped and then just stood there for a few seconds. There was no wind, and I could hear the blood pouring out on the leaves. Then she tried to snort but it didn’t work very well as she blew a lot of blood out of her nose. Finally she blasted out of there and crashed in only a couple of seconds. The broadhead definitely did it’s job.

05-Dec-17
Mpdh... that has been my experience also with those heads. Tracking has been little to none as they don’t run full out when shot. Most the time you can see em fall.

05-Dec-17
I think there is a lot to be said about a head that has a sensible profile and coc, like the stinger, and the animals reaction to an arrow jumping through them like a hot knife through butter compared to heads that are exact opposite.

05-Dec-17
" Which is better in your opinion? " The head you are legally allowed to use. let me explain, the wife and I are looking at trying Africa, but in Namibia -serrated edges are not allowed on broadheads. LOL..... so the wife is going to put her Buzzcuts away and shoot Stingers like me (if we end up in Namibia -- If S.A. she'll stay with her Buzzcuts!)

As far as the 'the deer just stands there', they really do-- but not when your using the newer, stiff, high profile fletch.

05-Dec-17

BowtechArcher0880's embedded Photo
First kill with a buzzcut
BowtechArcher0880's embedded Photo
First kill with a buzzcut
My first deer with the Buzzcut was just as described above. A doe, complete pass through. Deer ran about 40 yards. This was first year trying them. Arrow stuck in base of tree after pass through. Loved how they flew out of the bow. Will continue using these heads. Warranty also speaks volumes. Great product

05-Dec-17
Which head has the better accuracy out to say 50-60 yds with a little wind? The black Hornet or Buzzcut Stingers?

05-Dec-17
I can’t see how buzz cuts would be easier to sharpen. But I I shoot snuffers. I do have some stingers. Just haven’t used them.

06-Dec-17
The black hornet flies a little better at farther distances .. shorter ,less wind resistance..

06-Dec-17

Pikelakerunner's embedded Photo
Pikelakerunner's embedded Photo
What more do u want. Black hornet. Magnus, best in the business.

06-Dec-17
Fake News!! Everybody knows you hafta shoot at least a 2” Mech to get a decent blood-trail!

13-Dec-17
Dang Pike! That's a great picture!! Awesome buck too, congrats.

13-Dec-17
Has anyone figured out an efficient way to sharpen the Black Hornet bleeders?

13-Dec-17
If the bleeders are the same as the bleeders on Stingers etc they sharpen very well on my KME Knife sharpening system

13-Dec-17
They aren't.

13-Dec-17
bowfreak I have has some success sharpening with one of those accusharp type ones while holding them with a pair of hemostats.....

13-Dec-17

Pigsticker's embedded Photo
Complete pass through at thirty yards with Elite set at 53lbs.

13-Dec-17
Blood trail!

13-Dec-17

Internal damage.

• Sitka Gear