Dirk Diggler 01-Dec-17
APauls 01-Dec-17
Ermine 04-Dec-17
leftee 04-Dec-17
midwest 04-Dec-17
Ny308Hunter 04-Dec-17
Ridge Rock 04-Dec-17
30-Nov-17
'Tis the season where my wife will insist I put something down on paper and form a Christmas list. It's much more simple for me to just forward my Amazon wish list but traditions force me to write something down for her.

Being new to the sport a few years ago I was pretty thrifty on some equipment and bought a used Truball release. I don't particularly like it that much as it's on the very last hole on the wrist strap and the hole is more elongated making me think it's stretched past its prime. Also, the strap itself isn't very comfortable on my wrist.

I was looking at the Tru-Fire releases and they seem decent. I am tempted to move to a thumb style release, not brave enough to try a back-tension release and I don't know if just a hook is the right answer for me either. Feel free to shed some light on the hook compared to the traditional clamping jaws.

What would you consider the "perfect" or "best" release?

30-Nov-17
For me, the “perfect “ release is the Carter Rx1.

30-Nov-17
You like the hook style release? Did you ever use the jaw-style before?

30-Nov-17
I use a Tru-Fire Hardcore 4 finger. I don't like a wrist strap that I have to wear all the time. The hook type release is supposed to be more accurate but that is not why I use it. I do find I'm a better shot with the thumb release versus the index finger.

30-Nov-17
Once you shoot a high end release, you'll have a hard time going back. I'm currently shooting a Nock2it made by Carter. I also shoot a Silverback tension release by Carter and I have a Truball hinge I started to play with.

30-Nov-17
Tru-Fire Hardcore 4 Finger (Old style w/o twist head)

30-Nov-17
I use a true fire caliper release that has the adjustable shank. I actually use my middle finger as my trigger finger, my index finger lays on top of the caliper "block". I have always done it this way and I'm not 100% sure why but I do know that some days if I have a little struggle keeping the pin steady, if I put a little more pressure on my index finger, it seems to help steady things. I guess that little extra contact provides just that tiny bit of stability that helps? My brother has been trying for a couple years to get me to go to either a back tension or a thumb style release, I just feel like I have a pretty solid anchor with what I use so I hate to mess with it.

30-Nov-17
I have been shooting the Spot Hogg Wise Guy since 2014 and really like it. I'm not married to any release but this one has served me well.

30-Nov-17
You're just trying to be like Cam, Eyad. ;-)

30-Nov-17
Stanislawski SX3 I've used the same old Hot Sot release for over 30 years because no matter what I tried I wasn't comfortable. From the first time I picked up the SX3 I knew I'd finally found a replacement. Very well made and infinitely adjustable to your specs. They cost around $200 new, but you can pick them up used on Archery Talk for less.

30-Nov-17
"You like the hook style release? Did you ever use the jaw-style before?"

If you use a string loop, I personally wouldn't shoot anything but a hook style. I used a James Greene Gatorjaws WAY back in the day before string loops were even a pipe dream. As far as the Rx1 goes, I love the trigger forward feature.

30-Nov-17
"You're just trying to be like Cam, Eyad. ;-) "

I 'might' be able to run a 10K.......now if I could only come up with 200 more miles worth of stamina...without taking a break......you might be right;)

30-Nov-17
scott shark

30-Nov-17
True ball blade pro, great adjustability and built like a tank...

30-Nov-17
Scott little goose has worked well for me for the past 4 years.

I find with releases it is very much like picking a bow. Shoot as many different ones as you can and let the release pick you.

Mark

30-Nov-17
Stanislawski SX3 for me. I've always been more accurate with a handheld thumb release.

30-Nov-17
Carter Lockjaw

30-Nov-17
Winns Free Flight forever.

30-Nov-17
I just picked up a Carter Wise Choice and really like it so far.

30-Nov-17
Scott silver horn and a Scott 3 finger longhorn for the off season and 3D . Hunt

30-Nov-17
I've been using the Spot Hogg Keeton this year, and like it a lot. It seems that I am shooting better with it, but it also coincides with a rigorous weight training program, so I am not sure the release should get much credit. My other release is a Carter Little Mike, which is an excellent release as well.

30-Nov-17
TruBall short and sweet. I've never had a reason to go to anything else. Really want to try a Carter but I haven't gone there yet.

30-Nov-17
My Pro Shop owner laughs at me every year when I show up to “tune up” for season with the same Scott Release year after year. If you don’t have a back up in your pack at all times you are taking a risk. That said buy 3 of which ever you chose! Good luck!

30-Nov-17
Tru Ball Pro Diamond thumb release. Very adjustable.

30-Nov-17
Carter Ember. It has and open hook and short barrel so you can usually shoot a 1/2 inch longer draw. I took the horseshoe off and installed a standard 3/8 barrel. I used the three fingers.

30-Nov-17
Jim Fletcher Fletchunter

30-Nov-17
What Mule Power said

30-Nov-17
Carter quickie

30-Nov-17
Spot hog wise guy

30-Nov-17
Carter quickie 1 plus. Love the hook Shot Scott releases for years but I think carter has best triggers. Zero creep. I like having it attached to my wrist so I can’t drop it or lose when running and gunning

30-Nov-17
Spot Hogg wise guy and Keeton

30-Nov-17
Spot Hogg WiseGuy currently

30-Nov-17

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
Modified this release for a shorter length so I can J hook the trigger.

30-Nov-17
Another vote for the Carter Wise Choice. 4 finger for me.

30-Nov-17
Hunting Carter Quickie 1......off season Carter Evolution

30-Nov-17
Trufire Hardcore wrist strap. And a duplicate in my pack.

01-Dec-17
If u r thinking back tension, jump in with both feet! I wish I would have done it years ago. I hunt with a Nock2it and train with a Silverback. The clip on Thumb releases by Carter are awesome!

01-Dec-17
Hook release for me. Don’t have to look to get it on. Don’t have to keep jabbing the jaws at the loop while trying desperately to keep the other eye on an animal. Scott Silverhorn works good for me. I like the forward trigger.

01-Dec-17
Carter Rx2 for me, have to have the hook style since switching to it, so much quicker to get on the string.

01-Dec-17
Hardcore revolution. Once I went thumb release I can't go back to a wrist strap. I only hunt whitetails from treestands so I love to clip my release on and have my hands free. +1 on Charlie's comment. Make sure you have a backup and that both are set up the same.

01-Dec-17
I shoot a Carter "Like Mike". Have been pleased with it. I also have a Carter RX-1. Gotta have that hook, I used to be apprehensive to go away for the jaw style, but at this point the single hook is really the only way to go as far as I'm concerned.

--Jim

01-Dec-17
Scott Little goose. My whole crew shots them. 7 or 8 releases total. Always have a backup in the pack.

01-Dec-17
Carter Insatiable 2+

01-Dec-17
Whalen hooker release for me

01-Dec-17
Scott Little bitty Goose Started playing with the Scott Rhino.

I found I shoot way better by triggering the release by the 2nd knuckle on my finger instead of by the tip of finger.

01-Dec-17
I thought I WAS going high end when I bought a Tru Fire with the hook, and buckles on that strap. Might be called the hurricane or something. I think it was over $100cdn. I still feel like I'm ballin with it, so I won't look at the expensive ones :) Seems to always shoot real nice.

Much prefer the hook over the jaws though that's for sure. You can put the hook on your D-loop without looking at it.

04-Dec-17
Carter lucky

04-Dec-17
Tru ball short/sweet.

04-Dec-17
Ermine, Does Hamskea no longer produce the Droptine?

04-Dec-17
Scott archery Shark. Picked up on clearance 3 years ago, still solid as a rock hundreds if not thousands of releases later.

04-Dec-17
Winns Free Flight Relaxed Finger

• Sitka Gear