Mule Deer
Contributors to this thread:
KsRancher 02-Dec-17
Jaquomo 02-Dec-17
Treeline 02-Dec-17
KsRancher 03-Dec-17
Treeline 03-Dec-17
02-Dec-17
Was going back and trying to fill my ks. mule deer tag in a couple weeks. We have always hunted prerut until this year. And we went right in the heat of the rut. Prerut seems to be the hardest time to find a mature buck, but when you do. It seems he is pretty easy to kill though. It the heat of the rut this year it wasn't that hard to find a mature buck, but rather hard to kill him. With the extra set of eyes from the doe he was with, coupled with them staying on the move cause he was chasing her around. I have never been this late in the year. I was wondering what people's opinions were as far as places to find them, do they move much in daylight hours, and anything else that you have observed hunting post rut. I will be going 1 week after the end of rifle season. Dont know what affect that will either. This more of a plains type, spot and stalk hunt. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

02-Dec-17
They tend to be in bigger herds and mostly traveling from bedding to feeding to bedding. I've killed them then and decoyed them in but don't enjoy hunting then. Its a lot of waiting and if you guess wrong the hunt is over for the morning as they pass by out of range. If one for spooks the whole mob goes off in a chain reaction. The good news is that you can spot them because they like to herd up. The bad news is all the eyeballs.

But when you do find them they tend to get into predictable patterns. Good luck and have fun!

02-Dec-17
Pray for a hard cold snap. Snow helps. A lot of times it will push them into the bottoms where you can get a chance either stalking or out of a tree stand. Stalking in snow camo in the snow can be amazing.

03-Dec-17
Thanks guys! Hopefully I will have something to put on the meat pole in a couple of weeks

03-Dec-17
Good luck! Got a little weather coming thru up here in nw Colorado that might make it to you! Hope you find a whopper!

• Sitka Gear