jsgold 03-Dec-17
jsgold 03-Dec-17
LBshooter 03-Dec-17
ryanrc 03-Dec-17
jsgold 03-Dec-17
David A. 04-Dec-17
03-Dec-17

LUNG$HOT's Link
I guess it’s only a matter of time before we see it spread through the whole country.

03-Dec-17
Hmmm.....

Do you think it’s because they started testing for it?

03-Dec-17
Not good to hear. Or has it been there the whole time and now emerging?

When WI discovered it, DNR literally tried to kill off our entire deer herd it the "hot zone" they had huge dumpters that you would throw your entire deer into after you shot it. A very sad sight to see. We are still finding new areas with CWD and it's still spreading. Deer farms certainly don't help as their escaped infected deer now get mixed in possibly spreading it more. Or it's been here the whole time and nature will take it's course.

03-Dec-17
Of course it is because they started testing for it. However, I would rather they started testing for it and did not find it.

03-Dec-17
My point is that I’m Sure many have eaten infected venison already

03-Dec-17

Grunter's Link
This will blow your mind!! So many people have the theory that CWD started from game farms. High concentrations of deer in small areas. Disease has to happen right? Natures way of controlling the population when numbers are too high. Think if you or I lived in a tiny house with 100 people for years. We all have to eat, shit, piss, wipe germs all over. Sickness/disease will happen. Nature demands that.

This WI deer farmer was paid almost 300k for 228 deer the state killed for CWD. These deer lived on 10 acres folks. I'll say it again to SINK IN--10 acres! That's more than 22 deer per acre. How can disease not happen in these types of cases??

03-Dec-17
" So many people have the theory that CWD started from game farms"

Although concentration does breed disease and especially parasites, I haven't heard any credible theory that CWD originated from game farms. Smoking gun evidence suggests it mutated from a prion disease in sheep (Scrapie) in the experimental pens of Colorado State University about 60 years ago.

03-Dec-17
txhunter58 is right where it started. They were studying CWD at University Madison remains were dumped in a landfill. There's lots to the story. Fences wear infected deer were kept were not escape proof. How many of the 228 deer had cwd on that game farm?

03-Dec-17
At the moment, it's best not to put too much faith in a test result, as explained by the Wisconsin DNR when you get a test result back. They actually don't even tell you it tested "Negative," only that CWD prions were not detected. There could still be prions present in the tested tissue at too low of a concentration or in other parts of the animal, such as the muscle tissue.

And let's not forget the extremely disturbing Canadian study, which didn't clarify what level of prions must be present in the meat to be a risk, but it did reveal that 3 of 5 MONKEYS FED ONLY ONE 7 OZ. STEAK PER MONTH FOR LESS THAN TWO YEARS DID MANAGE TO CONTRACT THIS ALWAYS-FATAL DISEASE! That is a much lower rate of venison consumption than that of most hunters I know.

For your info, here's the message that accompanies Wisconsin DNR test results:

CWD Not Detected

Tissue from the deer you provided the Wisconsin DNR for chronic wasting disease (CWD) testing has been examined for CWD prions. There were no CWD prions found and therefore no evidence that the deer was infected with CWD. However, the inability to find CWD prions in the tissue examined is NOT equivalent to pronouncing this deer absolutely free of CWD prions or stating that it is safe to consume. All laboratory tests for CWD only assess the presence or absence of a detectable amount of prions in the specific tissue examined at the time the tissue was collected. A recently infected animal may not test positive because prions have not yet reached a detectable level in the tissue that was tested. CWD testing is clearly of value for disease surveillance to learn where the disease exists, but it has limited value in the context of food safety testing.

03-Dec-17
OK scaremongers, how many hunters have developed the human version, Jacobs something or other ?

03-Dec-17
I worded that wrong. Shouldn't have said "started" on game farm. But no doubt the disease seems to thrive on game farms. I would think there has to be a connection of some sorts there.

03-Dec-17
Grizzly, here are a couple of articles:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/wisconsin/2017/07/07/can-chronic-wasting-disease-jump-humans-concerns-keep-rising/453371001/

https://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/hunting/2007/09/mad-deer-disease-can-venison-kill-you

03-Dec-17
I posted this on the other thread, too:

If it ends up being determined that CWD does in fact cause prion disease in human brains--which mostly will be proven, if it hasn't already--I would be very surprised if it winds of being a very common human illness. For those unfortunate enough to contract it, though, it is no way to go.....

I am not a fear-monger, and I have determined for myself that what I gain from chasing deer and elk with a bow outweighs the (probably) slight risk of contracting a CWD related illness, as long as common sense is used. Due to the unknowns, however, I definitely do not feel safe making that same decision for my kids.

And there is enough circumstantial evidence that it can pass from deer species to humans, and the incubation periods can be so incredibly long for brain wasting diseases-decades, in fact-that it is incredibly reckless for uninformed individuals to be making proclamations about CWD being around "forever" and posing no risk to humans.

If that were the case, the Department of Defense probably wouldn't have a $42.5 MILLION dollar program trying to protect the US food supply from the threat of prions entering the food supply from deer....either through contamination of meat processing plants, spreading it to cattle directly, or shedding prions into the environment and being taken up into crops such as corn and soybeans.

03-Dec-17
CDC has three studies that say CWD was transferred to monkeys due to eating infected meat. I think it's time to maybe stop the urines amd Deer farms, and baiting deer. A good start, otherwise it's going to ruin the herds.

03-Dec-17
Since cwd seems to be a communicable disease, then does it really matter? I mean, the 5 monkeys should have been separated and put in with other monkeys after a year of cwd meat. Then, after another year or 2 all monkeys tested. Why? Because deer don't eat other deer. They get it from each other. If proved that it can be speak monkey to monkey, then that is huge. Why? Say you eat venison, but don't feed it to your family. Ok, great plan, except if you contract it your family is going to get it anyway. Sharing an ice cream cone or a drink and bam everyone has it. Sneeze in a theater and wham, we are all pucked. So....if we end up being able to "catch it"....lord have mercy.....

03-Dec-17
Ryanrc, to take that one scary step further......

Stanley Prusiner, the researcher who won the Nobel Prize after discovering that prions were the cause of these brain wasting diseases, later proposed that Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and other common neurodegenerative diseases are also caused by PRIONS.

Combine that with a recent Duke University study that found caregivers of someone with Alzheimer's were SIX TIMES MORE LIKELY to get Alzheimer's themselves, and it almost seems that these prion diseases can pass from human to human.

Add to that the fact that these mis-shapen proteins known as prions are extremely difficult to destroy through any known sterilization technique, they can persist in the environment for decades, and they have decades-long incubation periods, and the possible long-term implications are not that great.

Think of all the people currently in nursing homes with Alzheimer's, etc., that could be shedding prions into our sewage systems, which then recycle waste water into municipal drinking water using techniques that don't even come close to destroying prion proteins.......

04-Dec-17
" I think it's time to maybe stop the urines amd Deer farms, and baiting deer. " -- well, it's certainly time for massively upscaling research and funding. I would like to see hunters having an opt in for contributions to funding say $1 to $100 when weapply for license/tags. CWD threatens deer/elk/moose herds across the USA as well as our own health. We need facts now to completely understand what is going on and what the best choices are.

• Sitka Gear