Dikndirt 08-Dec-17
NvaGvUp 09-Dec-17
writer 10-Dec-17
swampokie 10-Dec-17
StickFlicker 10-Dec-17
wildwilderness 12-Dec-17
05-Dec-17

writer's Link
Pretty impressive, and great anytime a bowhunter holds the overall state record, for any animal.

05-Dec-17
Monster Ram.

05-Dec-17

Eagle_eye_Andy's Link
Two tags per year are given out I believe for Nebraska Big Horns. One is an auction tag and the other is a resident only lottery tag. This is a really cool thing for Nebraska and what a ram!!! See Link...

05-Dec-17
Awesome ram! Congratulations to the hunter both for the funding provided to management of sheep in Nebraska and for closing the deal on a spectacular ram!

05-Dec-17
I did not even realize NE has sheep!

05-Dec-17
Wonderful ram!!!!! Congrats to the hunter and his donation to Nebraska sheep! That part of Nebraska is neat country.....mini Blackhills area.

I do think the ram is 8 years old, not 10 as noted in the article.

05-Dec-17
Nice to see support for someone who made such a donation, instead of the usual, “If I had that kinda money,” or “he bought it, he didn’t hunt it” sour grapes.

05-Dec-17
Yuge!

05-Dec-17
Beautiful ram!

But as Kurt noted, I can't see how this was aged at ten.

Heck, I don't see eight annuli.

Six?

05-Dec-17
I'd be curious to know where he killed it in the Wildcat hills, as I was there in early October antelope hunting, and was fortunate to see 3 rams one evening. One of them was a corker, and I sorta wonder whether this was him. . . .

Awesome ram for sure!

05-Dec-17
As soon as I read auction tag, I quit reading.

05-Dec-17
Didn't even know NE had a bighorn season! Awesome ram.

05-Dec-17
We have had a population for a while now. They were relocated to a couple of different areas in the state. Hunters dollars from auction tags as well as application fees for the other tag are what have allowed a sheep population to exist here.

05-Dec-17
Western Nebraska is a pretty cool place.

05-Dec-17
I'd agree with Midwest, western Nebraska is pretty cool. I spent 3 days antelope hunting there this October, and it was a zoo. We saw tons of antelope. Saw several elk in or near the Wildcat hills (including an easy 320-330 ish bull bedding in a cornfield pivot with about a dozen cows), saw 3 bighorn rams, a ton of muleys, several whitetails, and some turkeys too.

I'd like to go back and spend some more time in those hills. . . . Fun place

05-Dec-17
It's hard to tell for sure, but the ram didn't appear to be more than 8 years old and was still putting on large annual growth. If I'm right about this, then Nebraska has some great future potential.

05-Dec-17
Beautiful ram and how cool that he was taken by an archery hunter!

Agree with you Kurt & LKH....just from the one photo at least, he would appear to be 7.5.

05-Dec-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Interesting country to hunt BH sheep in Nebraska.

05-Dec-17
"As soon as I read auction tag, I quit reading." Nice attitude TerryD, you should've kept reading. Do you understand that these tag auctions raise a whole lot of money to help those species?

From the article: "Proceeds help fund the state's bighorn sheep management and reintroduction efforts."

...Beautiful ram!

05-Dec-17
Does anybody know what organization usually auctions off the tag?

05-Dec-17
Sheep Foundation I would guess

05-Dec-17
Interesting. I thought Nebraska had a single topo line running through the whole state! :)

05-Dec-17
TerryD,

"As soon as I read auction tag, I quit reading."

Care to 'splain that one, Lucy?"

05-Dec-17
Lol @ BTM!

05-Dec-17
I understand the auction and the money raised, which is needed,,,, however how many tags, do the locals get a crack at, I was curious,,,, beautiful animal

05-Dec-17
Congrats to Jason the hunter on the ram. He’s a big contributor to the sheep foundation. I think it’s awesome!

05-Dec-17
Wow! Majestic!!! Congrats to the hunter!!!

05-Dec-17
Hunted with Jason in Africa back in 2012 , very nice guy . At the time had a TV show .

05-Dec-17
Beautiful ram!

On the other tag allocated to a resident, is it a pure lottery drawing, or do you build points?

05-Dec-17

Michael's embedded Photo
Michael's embedded Photo
Great looking Ram. Congrats to the hunter.

There are Big horns in the Wildcat hills as well as soldier creek wilderness by Crawford.

I have never seen any rams there however I did come across some Ewes with a couple of lambs one day. I thought it was pretty remarkable considering the troubles they have with lambs surviving.

05-Dec-17
t-roy Nebraska usually offers 2 Bighorn tags per year , one is for auction, the other is for Nebraska residents only which is by lottery, no points or point creep, just have to have your non refundable money in by the deadline each year. The G & P looks at the herd quality each year in determining tags. There were some years in the past where both tags might not have been available that year.

05-Dec-17
What a toad. congrats to the hunter!

06-Dec-17
I am wondering if the sheep that were relocated to there have any original Missouri Breaks Montana genes ? Or are they from Colorado or somewhere else ?

06-Dec-17
I know that sheep were relocated from Montana and Alberta to Nebraska.

06-Dec-17
And now we all know that 'TerryD' doesn't want to respond to the question I asked him re. fundraising tags.

07-Dec-17
I was just happy to see it taken with sharp sticks! Congrats to the hunter on a dandy.

07-Dec-17
I'm a NE resident and keep putting in. Whoever draws the tag gets personally guided by NE F&G. They strictly manage this herd and it seems like they walk you up to the sheep they want taken. Would be a fun opportunity one day.

07-Dec-17
Badlands,

No one simply 'walks up to a wild sheep' in the wild.

No one.

07-Dec-17
^Ha, go for a walk up Waterton Canyon in Denver.

08-Dec-17
Nva, I have driven by the sheep near Crawford NE in bow range and they never lifted their head from grazing....

09-Dec-17
James,

I do not question that.

Animals of all species can become comfortable with living in close proximity to humans.

Witness Boulder City, NV and Palm Desert, CA.

But in the wilds of Nebraska? Not so much.

10-Dec-17
Something tells me the residents who've drawn their Nebraska sheep permit are pretty appreciative of the auction hunter's who've donated so much. Several times I've had to defend a friend who has purchased five Kansas elk permits via auction tags. Ed started with nothing, built it up through hard work and intelligence. Lost most of it in a divorce and then made it all over again. Totally self-made man. My response is now, "If you can't afford an auction permit to support game management, that's your fault, not his."

10-Dec-17
I guess it’s the word donation that seems not To fit. Maybe investment would better apply. When I give a donation I generally don’t expect or receive anything in return. With and investment some return is expected.

10-Dec-17
"If you can't afford an auction permit to support game management, that's your fault, not his."

Just because one person can afford it, and another can't (or can and doesn't want to buy the tag), does not provide justification for the existence of auction tags. You are assuming that all that are opposed to such tags are suffering from sour grapes, which is just not the case. There are certainly both positives and negatives from allowing such auction tags.

12-Dec-17

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
From the paper
wildwilderness's embedded Photo
From the paper
Very nice ram

• Sitka Gear