wyobullshooter 05-Dec-17
Ny308Hunter 05-Dec-17
Arrowone 05-Dec-17
Quailhunter 06-Dec-17
Brotsky 06-Dec-17
rooster 06-Dec-17
Zbone 06-Dec-17
05-Dec-17
I’m new to the safety harness game. While putting on the safety harness or forgetting to stuck the tether with carabiner attached, it’s only a matter of time before I knock out a tooth.

Any tips not getting hit by the carabiner?

Do you leave the carabiner on the Prussic knot?

05-Dec-17
I’m new to the safety harness game. While putting on the safety harness or forgetting to stuck the tether with carabiner attached, it’s only a matter of time before I knock out a tooth.

Any tips not getting hit by the carabiner?

Do you leave the carabiner on the Prussic knot?

05-Dec-17
don't swing your harness too hard. I've always left my carabineer on my tether strap. never had a problem with it swinging around and hitting me.

05-Dec-17
I leave it on my harness. For some reason people love to steal them if left on the tree strap. I've never hit myself but one option would be to hang the carabiner from the belt itself until you climb. Mine has rings for attaching a linemans belt that it could be snapped onto.

05-Dec-17
I dont see any need for a caribeaner...I loop my safety strap thru a strap 'round the tree...dont need the weight, dont need the buckle...and yes....punch out a tooth

05-Dec-17
SJJ - You have a photo of how you do that?

05-Dec-17
Be more careful? No, seriously.

I prefer to keep mine on the harness tether. I use the lightweight ones from HSS.

05-Dec-17
I’m with Grunt-N-Gobble. Been using an HSS system for a long time. Conking myself on the head has never crossed my mind.

05-Dec-17
IF I use a carabiner, it stays on the tree strap. But I usually just strap direct now. One less thing, ya know?

05-Dec-17
On my Muddy harness I clip the carabiner onto the shoulder harness. Zbone I think he is putting the tree strap through tether loop before attaching the safety strap to the tree.

06-Dec-17
I ordered a few lightweight climbing ones years ago. Don’t remember what site but they had a huge weight limit and weigh a fraction of the steel one my harness came with. Could still chip a tooth but I don’t think it can knock me unconscious. :)

06-Dec-17
I replaced mine with a Black Diamond Aluminum carabiner. I attach it to the top loop on my Kuiu bino harness until it’s time to climb the tree and hook up.

06-Dec-17
Mine stays connected to my harness tether. It hangs over my shoulder for the walk in. SJJ, obviously you are not connected to a life line while climbing up, unless I misunderstand your post above. In my world it's hook up first, then climb up.

06-Dec-17
Why I ask because I climb telephone poles almost daily for a living and use a leather linemans belt when climbing with hooks (climbers),,, but when using a ladder up a pole, I secure the ladder to the pole and cable strand and use a rope and prussic knot to my linemans belt but at all times looking for any informative ways... Thanks...

• Sitka Gear