Chasewild 06-Dec-17
Bowfreak 06-Dec-17
Bowfreak 06-Dec-17
Buffalo1 06-Dec-17
Mad Trapper 07-Dec-17
Wapitidung 07-Dec-17
Yellowjacket 07-Dec-17
06-Dec-17
I switched to a back tension release two years ago due to some miserable target panic. Wish I would made the switch two decades ago.

I currently shoot the Carter Squeeze Me. The release requires the shooter to first depress the trigger AND THEN initiate back tension until the release breaks which looses the arrow.

I dislike the fact that I have to depress the trigger (the safety) before I can begin my back tension.

Is there a back tension release, or perhaps a hinge, that DOESN'T require a trigger/safety to be depressed? I have not shot a hinge release.

In the alternative is there a punchomatic trigger style release that has a very hard but crisp release weight? For example, the carter finger style releases get quite a few recommendations...

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

06-Dec-17
Most hinge type releases do not have a safety. However, you better make sure you are drawing the bow with your index finger, if you pull with your whole hand there is a good chance the release is going to go off during the draw cycle and you will end up with a bloody nose. Scott makes a hinge type release called the long horn hunter that allows you to pull the bow with a wrist strap, and then grab the release at full draw, but I have never shot it. I hunt with a T.R.U ball sweet spot, it is a hinge type release with a safety that I roll my thumb across to disengage the safety. It took a little while to get the hang of it, but now its like second nature. I like the safety, especially in a hunting situation. Good luck, I certainly know where you are coming from in regards to wishing you made the switch sooner!

06-Dec-17
The Carter Backstrap is the opposite of the Squeeze Me. You depress the trigger to draw the bow, let off the trigger, then start back tension.

06-Dec-17
Chasewild I went through the target panic ordeal and switched to a hinge release 4-5 years ago. The best thing I ever did. I have been shooting the Scott Longhorn Hex for both target and hunting. I started off with the half moon set to click and switched it over a couple years ago so there is no click.

I'm not sure how the Longhorn Hunter differs from the Hex but there is no safety to disengage.

06-Dec-17
Plenty of hinge releases don't have a safety mechanism. Along with the Backstrap you have numerous handheld tension activated releases too. Carter (Nock2it or Evolution) and Stan Element are all good choices.

06-Dec-17
I had the same issues with TP. Get a hinge. I've been hunting with mine for two years now and will never go back. I currently shoot a truball four finger swept with no clicker, but I hang my pinky off due to my large hands. I draw back with my thumb on the peg and all weight on my index finger. It's nearly impossible to misfire that way. I draw, get to anchor, release the thumb and start my engine and arrow is gone. I started with the moon pretty slow, but now that I've gotten used to it, I like it really hot. No room for your brain to get in the way that way.

06-Dec-17
Carter Nock 2 It is a thumb trigger release. The Silverback is the back tension.

06-Dec-17
For a heavy but crisp index finger release, the Carter Like Mike can be set to 5lbs. pull. Double sear with no springs to change out. "Like breaking glass".

06-Dec-17

RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
I posted this release on another thread. I train with one all year. Best thing I bought to cure target panic or aiming issues.

06-Dec-17
Man, bunch of great thoughts here. The thought of yet again trying a new release style (i.e. hinge) gives me pause. But I'll go down to the shop and see if I can try it out.

06-Dec-17
You are right Nick. I got them backwards. Silverback or Evolution both made by Carter.

06-Dec-17
I think the best way to cure target panic is to become a puller vs an aimer. If you are a puller you look at the spot you want to hit, do your best to ignore the pin or at a minimum not care what it's doing, and concentrate solely on pulling through the shot. You have to be ok with your pin moving on or off the target and just let it happen. If you trust it you will hit where you are looking better than what your pin would reflect. It is very surprising to see this happen but that is how it works.

06-Dec-17
For what it is worth- I don't have a back release and have never tried one. I use a Trufire Hardcore Four Finger release. The release offers 3 trigger pressures: 6 oz., 24 oz. & 50 oz. I have experimented with all three trigger pressures. I seem to have less anxiety ( release anticipation) and better shot accuracy with the heaviest trigger release weight.

07-Dec-17
I hunt with a True Ball Abyss which is a T handle trigger release. In the off season, I shoot a True Ball Fulcrum which is a pure hinge and is otherwise identical to the Abyss. I shoot the Abyss with back tension as well, but I have the trigger if I need it. My son hunts with the Fulcrum hinge and I would have no problem doing that as well, but my current system seems to work for me. Shooting a hinge is the best way to deal with TP. It just takes some time getting used to. Switching between the two types of releases ensures that I am not unwittingly developing some bad habits with the trigger.

07-Dec-17
I've been trying a Stan Black Jack Henge. Like it.

Wap

07-Dec-17
I've had great success with the Stan Element. More reliable than the Carter Evolution in my experience for that style of release.

• Sitka Gear