LINK 09-Dec-17
Bowboy 09-Dec-17
YZF-88 09-Dec-17
arctichill 09-Dec-17
Nick Muche 10-Dec-17
07-Dec-17
Trying to settle on a new pack and my first Kifaru. Thanks for the help

07-Dec-17
Duplex frame and nomad for me for elk, late season for deer. Also used spike camp and tahr. To be honest I liked them all

07-Dec-17
For longer trips and carrying a good bit of gear I'm still a fan of the Timberline 1 internal frame. Comfortable, and a good pocket layout. For shorter trips the Bikini frame and the Tahr work well for me.......just carried out a whitetail in it.

07-Dec-17
Hunter frame and nomad with grab it. Love it! I just keep strapping things down. On a turkey hunt with my daughter I had an obscene amount of stuff strapped between the 2 wings.

07-Dec-17
I've got the hunter frame and an apollo pack and, a Mountain rambler pack. If I could only have one it would be the Mountain Rambler. Goes from a day pack to a 7 day pack with about 20 seconds worth of buckle changes. I use the apollo and a grab it for day hunting too. It's smaller and just big enough for a days worth of cold weather clothing, optics, food, gear, and water, while having the ability to pack out a whole deboned deer. I used it to pack out two deer this year and it's the berries as far as I'm concerned

If I only intended to own one bag, I'd get a Rambler or something similar in size. They all compress small regardless of size. The only requirement besides that would be a meat shelf option to pack meat between the bag and frame. Putting your meat right against your back, in a 14 inch wide, 29 inch meat sack, keeps the pack job easy not having to worry about it flopping around, balling up, and getting blood over everything in the pack. Plus, a meat shelf option allows you to buy a smaller, lighter, more affordable bag.

The price tag can be shocking. But, after endless miles of heavy pack training, this spring, summer, and fall, and a touch over 59 miles in 10 days of November deer hunting while packing meat and gear, I will say I only wish I had done it sooner. They are worth the investment plus some as far as I'm concerned. God Bless

07-Dec-17
I've got a one year old Kifaru Reckoning with a Guide Lid........nice pack and the best yet. I've still got my 17 year old Kifaru Long Hunter with lid and my Kifaru KU5200 (Ultralight). All three are good, but the new one is the most comfortable for heavy loads. Heck I even have an original Mt. Smith climber's pack that Patrick Smith made back in the mid '80s (Golden, CO) in the early days of their existence......they have come a very long ways since that one!

07-Dec-17
Fulcrum, can do just about anything.

07-Dec-17
It's an oldie but a goodie and that's my Late Season. Simple but functional. I love it. Also have a Duplex Frame with a Longhunter Lid and a Cargo Panel in a Pod. That is also a very versatile but simple set up that you can do just about anything with. I'm normally a gear nerd when it comes to stuff like this but after I bought those two I quit looking.

07-Dec-17
Fulcrum...The most versatile pack I’ve ever owned, and I’ve owned a “few”.

07-Dec-17
Hunter Frame, Nomad, Longhunter Lid and Camp Bag! Not been anything it wouldn't pack that I tried!

07-Dec-17
I have only had 2 kifaru packs so my favorite will be limited.

I have the original T1. It’s my go to pack for training now days. For what I want in a bag on say a 10 day pack in hunt it would be perfect.

My other kifaru is a hunter frame with a cargo panel. On the back of the cargo panel I have a large side pocket and a large belt pouch. For day hunt mode it’s perfect. Not exactly sure how much weight I have carried with it. I did carry both hambs deboned from my elk, the shanks and heart as well as the head and antlers. The pack was heavy but felt good on my back. I haven’t done it yet but for a few day spike in hunt I would just throw food and camping gear in a large dry sack and throw it in between the frame and cargo panel.

07-Dec-17
I have the Escape and evade pack with a lock it pocket for day hunts. I have the duplex frame, with timberline pack, grab-it, guide lid, and cargo net. I have a lock it pocket, several small internal pockets and belt pouches.

Now, I have for sale on Archerytalk my nomad, cargo panel, a camo lid and gun bearer. PM me for a price...I have more than I need.

07-Dec-17
"Fulcrum...The most versatile pack I’ve ever owned, and I’ve owned a “few”. "

And by a "few", you mean..."all"?

08-Dec-17
Duplex frame with an EMRII is my favorite Kifaru setup.

08-Dec-17

arctichill's embedded Photo
arctichill's embedded Photo
I like my Duplex frame with the Reckoning bag.

08-Dec-17
My "favorite" Kifaru pack is my only Kifaru pack....Mountain Warrior on a Duplex frame. Extremely versatile....doubt I'll ever need another pack.

08-Dec-17
Thanks for all the help so far. I guess I should have asked for current production models because I can’t find a few that some of you have listed, but that’s a great testament to the product. This will replace my 70L backpacking pack and hunting packs. I’m leaning toward either the Reckoning or Fulcrum. I found a few comparisons of those two on YouTube. Correct me if I’m wrong but it seems like the biggest difference between the two is the wing style pockets on the Fulcrum which add about 30L that I could add to the Reckoning down the road if I wanted? I like the DT1 but they are discontinuing it so they only have grey and multi. I’m not sure why but I want ranger green. Keep the information coming and thanks again!

08-Dec-17
Have you guy's weighed the packs all by themselves? Im curious how much each pack weighs, specially artichill Duplex Frame pack. I bought a Badlands external frame pack a few years back. I really love the thing, except it weighs nearly 9 pounds all by itself empty.

08-Dec-17
That’s a “fair assessment “ Matt.

08-Dec-17
My wife has all ready got a Kifaru gift card for me for Christmas and hinted I had one comming from some one else. So after Christmas I’m getting a hunter frame and reckoning bag. Seams like the reckoning is the most versatile as either a 10 day pack bag or a strip down compressed day pack. Even in daypack mode I tend to carry to much crap up the mountains-first aid, breakdown and packout stuff, and usually too much food.

08-Dec-17
Gotbow...Go to Kifaru's website. They have a chart with all of the weights. Yes, I've weighed all mine and they really vary depending on options, accessories etc. I've got Kifaru's that weigh 6 lbs and I've got some pushing 9.

08-Dec-17
I have several Kifaru packs. My latest is a Mountain Warrior on a tactical frame. It packed out elk quarters easily this year, and is rock solid on my back. Last pack I'll ever need. For daypack duty, my favorite is the Late Season, which has also packed out a lot of elk quarters.

The two top choices for me were the Reckoning and the Mtn Warrior. Both are excellent, well-designed and bulletproof packs. On the weight issue, when you pick it up, particularly with a full water bag, they feel heavy. When you put them on with an elk quarter, or a whole quartered deer, sudddenly they feel just right.

08-Dec-17

LINK's embedded Photo
Reckoning bag specs
LINK's embedded Photo
Reckoning bag specs
LINK's embedded Photo
Hunter frame specs
LINK's embedded Photo
Hunter frame specs
Artichills bag weighs 2.13 the frame is 3.13 with aluminum stays, take off 9 oz if he’s using composite stays. If you quit there that’s 6lbs 1-10 oz. it appears artic has a guide lid 11 oz and 3-4 belt pouches at 3 oz a piece so add another 1 1/2#s or so to the initial weight. Probably 7lbs 8 oz and for a 5-6 day trip or less you wouldn’t need the pouches and Guide lid.

08-Dec-17

LINK's Link
Reckoning video at the link.

08-Dec-17

08-Dec-17

kota-man's Link
Lets try this again...Add the frame of your choice and any accessories and you have your finished pack weights.

08-Dec-17
Thanks Kota-man, I didn't realize they would include over all pack weight. Those weights are impressive!

08-Dec-17
Well I bit the bullet and ripped off the bandage. Reckoning with guide lid and a couple of pockets. This will be the last “last” pack I buy if my wife asks. Thanks again for all your input

08-Dec-17
My first Kifaru pack was a Spike Camp. It was bought in 1998, and still good as new. And if I didn't have 5 other Kifarus, it would still be hauling out elk quarters for me. Money well spent. You'll love the reckoning.

08-Dec-17
Eric...Those weights DON'T include overall pack weight. You have to add the weight or your frame and accessories to those weights. People set their packs up so differently, it is hard to list overall pack weight.

08-Dec-17
Thanks Cory, I see that now. Still looks like worse case frame and accessories is at or under the pack I have now.

08-Dec-17
Here is what I have... Duplex Frame: 3lbs 5 ozs Highcamp: about 2lbs Guide lid: 11.5 oz Grab it 5 oz Cargo net: 11 oz two belt pouches, 2 snap lock pockets....less than 10 oz.

All total weight empty: 6.43 ounces. My badlands packs, weighed about 8 lbs...my eberlostock weighed in close to 9.10 ounces empty. Both of those packs killed my back if loaded down. The kifaru...I won't give up.

08-Dec-17

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Here's the Reckoning using the meat shelf.

08-Dec-17
Nick, heck of a nice ‘bou! Congratulations!

09-Dec-17
Link....Thanks for educating me on my pack! Lol....All I know is that I can carry a serious load with that thing.

09-Dec-17
Great pic Nick

09-Dec-17
Does anyone use the Native as a day pack (clothing layers)? I can see the usefulness of combining the Native, the Cargo panel and a few well placed pockets for pretty much any day excursion that may end up meat heavy.

09-Dec-17
If you're on facebook, there's a facebook page, Kifaru Insiders, that may be helpful. And both Aron Snyder and Frank Peralta monitor it, to help folks with problems or questions.

09-Dec-17
Great suggestion, bk. Thank you.

09-Dec-17
Atmrtichill it wasn’t my intent to educate you on your pack.. just attempting to help gotbow with the question he had. I’m sure your pack could be a few ounces or even 1/2lb different but I was trying to give him a general idea.

09-Dec-17
Nick nice bou. How much weight do you think your packing?

09-Dec-17
Duplex frame and a Mountain Warrior have served me well. Great for a day pack or packing in camp. Also worked great for pack-out. Don't even bring my Kelty Cache Hauler anymore.

09-Dec-17
Link, I'm sure the info was helpful to him, because it was to me. Thanks again.

10-Dec-17
Bowboy I'd guess that was near 100 or so. Half of a caribou and a 40lb head/hide.

• Sitka Gear