t-roy 12-Dec-17
Scrappy 12-Dec-17
drycreek 12-Dec-17
The last savage 12-Dec-17
GF 12-Dec-17
12-Dec-17

Scrappy's Link
GUN TOPIC, ok you have been warned.

Iowa's shotgun seasons are in full swing and as usual the idiots are blasting each other.

12-Dec-17
Crazy! I'm thinking it but it's not funny, if there is an Over/Under for the season. Sad to hear and hoping for no more!

12-Dec-17
But maybe he was practicing QTM?

12-Dec-17

Scrappy's Link
A buck and three doe jump from overpass. On down the page there is a video of it. I can't find a date for this but it seems to have come from this weekend. So I assume this is the results of a deer drive. I know the gun seasons are a necessary tool to manage the deer heard but this is crazy.

12-Dec-17
Two of it "idiots" as some would identify them were brothers age 11 and 13.

Officials with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources says an 11-year-old was injured Sunday on private land in Johnson County when his 13-year-old brother accidentally shot him. The DNR says the brothers both shot at a deer in a field and when it ran between them the 13-year-old continued shooting and hit the other boy in the hip.

12-Dec-17
Ok Bou I get your point there kids but what would you call the adults that should have been supervising those kids. Yes thats right idiots.

12-Dec-17
Deer drives out to be outlawed as there are far more near misses than at any other time. Have friends nearly shot because of them and have now learned to sit in a tree stand on drives. Drives are not hunting, it's shooting at moving targets much like the two boys in Bou's post

And where were the parents of these 11 and 13 year olds brothers? Don't most states required an adult to accompany a minor under 16?

12-Dec-17
In Wisconsin you can be toddler in diapers and go hunting. Supposed to be supervised however. We all know how "not" responsible parents can be, just look at life in general.

12-Dec-17
I know a guy who goes down there every year to party hunt and it’s nothing for him to go through a hundred slugs.

He makes it sound like that’s fairly “normal”

12-Dec-17
Missouri continues on with his one man crusade.

12-Dec-17
Accidents happen. Glad all appear Ok.

12-Dec-17
Three accidental shooting is three too many. That said, it does not seem to be out of line with historical averages.

12-Dec-17
“So I assume this is the results of a deer drive. ”

Based on what? Could’ve been, or could’ve been the buck chasing the does and the lead made a bad decision.

You can counter that the “report” in that link said that the buck went first, it there was no mention of a drive in the area....

Just sayin’...

Not much to be gained by condemning Deer Drives based on one fluke outcome when we don’t even know that a drive was involved, is there?

I’ve got no use for people who are careless around weapons, but I’ve been involved in a few carefully coordinated deer drives, and personally, I’d rather be part of a Drive than be Still-Hunting through an area where there are guys in trees who don’t know where I am or they I’m there. By the same token, I’d rather be with the Drive than up a tree and have unknown hunters working through the area. Just have to adapt the method to the circumstances...

12-Dec-17
I dread the gun seasons here. Lots of ethical guys out there, but there are also more than a few armed idiots as well that have no ethics whatsoever. They cruise the gravel roads looking for an easy opportunity to snipe a deer. They will also use the excuse that they wounded a deer to go onto private ground to “look” for it. Then they commence pushing that land to try and drive deer to standers located on the property line. By law, they have the legal right to go onto private land to try and retrieve a wounded animal as long as they are unarmed, which I don’t have much of an issue with, however, they don’t even have to make an effort to contact the property owner before doing so, which I think is a total crock of $hit! The property owner should be able to have a say in when, how many go, etc.

I had a friend have to deal with this yesterday. They supposedly wounded a buck that went onto my friends place. They, at least, called him to let him know they were going in to look for the deer. They went in the following morning with “5” guys to look for the buck, which they never found, but in the process, pushed a bunch of deer out and shot another buck and a doe to the standers. He had to work that day, so he couldn’t be there to somewhat control the situation. He intensively manages his ground strictly for archery only and these guys know that. The piece they had permission to hunt was about 10 acres that adjoins my buddy’s place which is around 320 acres. I am in the same situation as all of our ground is strictly archery only. It’s a running joke with some of the locals about trying slip through our ground during the shotgun seasons. I know this all probably sounds like sour grapes to some, but it’s my view on the situation, and I see no humor in it.

12-Dec-17
I used to hunt muzzleloader a number of years ago and I had no use for the deer drivers. The trucks would pull up on the concession and a bunch would pile out and push the push fron one end of the consession to the other whether they had permission or not, when you confronted them they would threaten you, just you and 12 idiots out in the bush.

12-Dec-17
I ain't gonna lie, I often wonder about IA gun hunters. I bowhunt public land when I get drawn and it is impressive how many beer cans i see out in the woods. Mostly Bud Lite, dilly dilly.

12-Dec-17
"I ain't gonna lie, I often wonder about IA gun hunters. I bowhunt public land when I get drawn and it is impressive how many beer cans i see out in the woods. Mostly Bud Lite, dilly dilly."

Probably from NR bowhunters. We Iowans drink Busch Light. ;-)

12-Dec-17
12yards....I’m all for putting them in the Pit of Misery!

12-Dec-17
Gf the video clearly shows the buck jumped first and if it did happen this weekend then yes there would have been deer drives in the area. So it is very easy to assume it was a result of a deer drive.

Anything anyone can say doesn't change the fact that deer drives are extremely dangerous as well as having a bunch of wounded deer. Come to iowa next week and drive around and you will see a ton of dead deer in the fields. They are easy to find just look for all the bald eagles feeding on them. As well as all the three legged deer you will see trying to run from your vehicle because you drove down the road to slow and spooked them.

Not trying to pick a fight cause I know that the gun seasons are a necessary evil for managing deer.

12-Dec-17
I hunted driven deer once in Kansas. A friend and myself were rifle hunting with an outfitter years ago. We would sit each morning and evening and they would "drive" at mid-day. That was my one and only dose of that. It ain't for me.

12-Dec-17
Up in Pennsylvania once ,I was canoeing down a river in nov...a damn nice buck was laying near a bridge there was 40 ft of flat ground until it met the water..he was broken up but not dead,,I went up to the farm that boardered creek,,,the farmer said a lady stopped there the evening prior,,,she had almost a buck head on,, on the bridge,,but he jumped over the railing...50 ft down,,and there he was....

12-Dec-17
Scrappy - I haven’t seen the video, but there’s a pic on the “deer suicide” thread that looks to me as though the buck is bringing up the rear... I’ll let you be the judge!

Tell ya, though... if I had problems such as T-Roy described, I think I would buy myself a drone and send the footage to F&G

• Sitka Gear