Contributors to this thread:
CBly1103 13-Dec-17
GLP 14-Dec-17
HULLHEAVER 14-Dec-17
Jaquomo 14-Dec-17
splitlimb13 14-Dec-17
ghost stalker 14-Dec-17
13-Dec-17
Hey all. I'm new to the forum and archery hunting in general. I'm currently researching an elk hunt to go on with my dad in 2-3 years. I would prefer it to be a pack-in type hunt and I'm shooting to stay under a $5,500 hunt cost (I know tags are extra $$). The two I have found that are on the top of my list right now are Swift Creek Outfitters WY and Colorado Outfitters. Does anyone have any experience with these outfits or have others they recommend?

As a follow up, what kinds of questions do I need to be asking when I contact the outfitter to make my final decision?

Thanks in advance!

14-Dec-17
I used Colorado Mountain Adventures twice once in 2010 and in 2013 got a 5 pt in 2013 both hunts were great! I would use them again. Greg

14-Dec-17
Ask for references long before making your decision. Ask for both successful and unsuccessful clients and CALL THEM. (Especially the unsuccessful) Make a list of questions before you call but let them tell their story, but be sure to get specific questions you have answered. These may include: quality of equipment tents, cots, food, pack stock, field care ect. The price point you listed will most likely be a drop camp so be sure to ask what exactly is included and not included. Is packing your Elk out included in the price or will it be extra? Do they have camp pre set and provide tents and cooking supplies? Is there a good water source close to camp? Do they provide a cook or a certain amount of food for your trip? What type of food is it? Mountain house or real food? As you get these questions answered, you will have a clearer picture of what to expect. Good luck

14-Dec-17
Also check out Comanche Wilderness Outfitters in N. CO. They have pack in camps adjacent to Rocky Mountain National Park.

14-Dec-17
You should start applying for N.M. the wilderness hunt with Tom Klumker is outstanding. You won't be disappointed. Just in the draw results more than likely.. San Francisco River outfitters

14-Dec-17
Why are you going the outfitter route? Nothing against outfitters, but if you are planning on going in 2-3 years you have plenty of time to learn how to call and research areas to do a diy hunt in Colorado and you can take that $5500 that you would have paid the guide and instead buy all the equipment and gear you need for the hunt and then make it a every year hunt with your dad instead of maybe every few years.

• Sitka Gear