onX Maps
Do any western states allow subpermitee?
Moose
Contributors to this thread:
huntinandfishin247 17-Dec-17
MQQSE 17-Dec-17
Bou'bound 17-Dec-17
wyobullshooter 17-Dec-17
Bowboy 17-Dec-17
Ambush 17-Dec-17
WapitiBob 17-Dec-17
Bowboy 17-Dec-17
Ambush 17-Dec-17
WapitiBob 17-Dec-17
Ambush 17-Dec-17
LKH 17-Dec-17
Ucsdryder 17-Dec-17
Topgun 30-06 17-Dec-17
llamapacker 17-Dec-17
MathewsMan 18-Dec-17
sticksender 18-Dec-17
Ambush 18-Dec-17
smarba 18-Dec-17
17-Dec-17
Hello Bowsite members and moderators. I am a new member and wanted to ask a question about big game hunting in the western states. Do any states allow subpermitee hunters on a license such as Maine and New Hampshire do for moose? This allows two people to be shooter on a single animal. I have been researching on the fish and game sites and have not seen it.

17-Dec-17
I have never seen it other than back east.

17-Dec-17
No

17-Dec-17
Not in Wyoming

17-Dec-17
Nope! The tag holder is the only one who gets to hunt.

17-Dec-17
It's a good way to give more hunting opportunity on the same number of tags.

In BC we have shared hunts for moose and bison on draws. Two people can apply together for one tag. Three or four can apply together for two tags. It ensures that hunting partners can have a better chance of hunting together. Any one of the group can shoot an animal, but you may shoot only one animal.

Bison was a real tough deal for some tag holders. It's near impossible for a single hunter to deal with a bison in the terrain they live in. Throw in bitter cold and snow and it borders on impossible. And it's also difficult to find partners that can give up vacation/hunting time to go as ride-along's just to help out. Now a group can go and all be hunting. You don't have to hunt together but you must be able to contact anybody in the party to notify of a tag filled. So far it has worked very well.

I would think that a big elk in rough country could be the same.

More people hunting and the same number of animals killed sounds like a win.

17-Dec-17
Party hunting in the west doesn't end when one animal is killed.

17-Dec-17
Your right Bob still happens especially with elk.

17-Dec-17
Not quite the same as party hunting. A hunter may not kill more than one animal. It’s not the same as four guys going out with four tags and one guy shooting all four tags. It’s four guys splitting two tags and two of them shooting two animals. It could be any two of the four hunters.

But I agree you can’t stop poaching with regulations. But why not give legitimate hunters a better hunt and opportunity for the same number of tags issued.

How about three good buddies splitting a highly desirable draw tag. Any of the three could shoot it and all three are hunting. Three times the chances at hunting a great tag for everybody’.

17-Dec-17
It's the definition of party hunting in the west; the party hunts off one tag. Common in the 60's and has gradually gone away for the most part although some families out here still do it. You assume they all hunt together which isn't the case and how multiple animals get shot, which is why it's illegal in all western states.

17-Dec-17
Like anything else I guess. Good folks get screwed by the actions of a few.

Law abiding citizens are very easy to regulate.

17-Dec-17
In AK proxy hunts are allowed for bou and moose for those disabled or over 65. There are quite a few conditions for those who do it or those one the receiving end. Only residents can participate.

17-Dec-17
As busy as the Colorado woods are already, I can’t imagine 4 guys hunting for 1 tag !!!!

17-Dec-17
From: Ambush 17-Dec-17 "Like anything else I guess. Good folks get screwed by the actions of a few. Law abiding citizens are very easy to regulate." That is not really true because good folks would still have to be hunting together the same day to avoid killing more than one animal like could happen if they were hunting separately. The only way you could hunt separately to avoid killing more than one animal any particular day would be to have radios or cell phones to call the other guys if you shot an animal so they would immediately stop hunting. What if two people shot animals within a few minutes of each other before they contacted each other and then you would have an illegal animal on the ground with two on the ground and only one tag!

17-Dec-17
The simple answer is this is not legal in any of the western states. A more complete answer would point out that several western states allow "mentor" tags, where a licensed adult hunter can allow a youngster under the adult's supervision to fill the tag. This does not translate into allowing 2 adults to hunt off of one tag. This "eastern" practice does not translate well into practice in western hunting, and is not likely to be embraced by many western hunters. Bill

18-Dec-17
Arizona has some allowances for transfer of tags- not really the same thing your inquiring about.

18-Dec-17
Hopefully the subpermittee system never catches on in the west for draw tags. I'd be worried about a big hit to draw odds. Just apply all of your non-hunting relatives and friends, and list yourself as the subpermittee. As long as they'll agree to tag along on "your" hunt when they draw, you're good to go. This definitely occurs on a massive scale in the New England Moose draws, all of which allow sub-permittees.

18-Dec-17
Sounds like an unpopular idea for everyone so far. I can say that it works well here in BC, but then we have massive amounts of difficult to access country. And if you want solitude, there's plenty available. But since I hate crowds, I can readily see the concerns that too many people on too few acres cause it to be "people polluted".

But as far as over crowding an area? I've read many stories of guys that drew a premium tag and it often follows a set pattern. "Can't believe I drew this awesome NR tag. It's a nine hour one way drive but my cousin, two of his buddies and a previous tag holder were all eager to scout for me...... Wow, here I am opening day! One of my cousins, my brother and an Uncle are here to help me!.......... My Dad has to get home and my two cousins have to get back to work, but the previous tag holder and a great friend are coming in when they leave, ................ What a super hunt and I couldn't have done it without.... long list of friends, family.

18-Dec-17
Bingo Sticksender. It already goes on here in NM where guys have their wives, cousins, uncles apply and then use their tags (which is illegal). If that system were to be legalized it would be crazy out of control.

• Sitka Gear