hooch08 26-Dec-17
loopmtz 26-Dec-17
18-Dec-17

whipranger's embedded Photo

18-Dec-17
Congrats, very nice ram

18-Dec-17
Nice trophy. Nice bow. Nice photo. Congratulations on your success!

18-Dec-17
congrats!

18-Dec-17
Awesome. What kind of recurve?

18-Dec-17
Congrats on a great trophy.

18-Dec-17
More sheep wid sharp sticks! Congrats! Great job!

18-Dec-17
Grats! Tell us about the hunt!

18-Dec-17
It's a Cascade Golden Hawk Magnum. The hunt started by accident, I only put in for desert because I didn't have enough to apply for rocky Mtn. Pretty remarkable I drew the only nonresident tag.

18-Dec-17
Congratulations. That is such a super tough tag to get as a NR, and you most definitely made the best possible use of it!

There have been very few Desert Rams taken by bow in the entire history of the hunt in Colorado.

18-Dec-17
Awesome please tells us the story.

18-Dec-17
Waiy to go, congrats...

18-Dec-17
Sto-ry, Sto-ry, STO-RY!

18-Dec-17
Awesome, congrats!

18-Dec-17

18-Dec-17
First I'd like to say thank you to fellow bowsiters that gave me info on the unit. Ill add story tomorrow

18-Dec-17
Wow! Now that's an accomplishment! Congrats. Do we get a story?

18-Dec-17
It's hard enough to draw the tag, but to get him with your recurve was a true accomplishment! Nice job.

Mike

19-Dec-17
How awesome is that! Way to go!!

19-Dec-17
Good job! A ram with traditional equipment is a real accomplishment. Would love to read the story!

19-Dec-17
Awesome, Paul! Looks like a good one!

19-Dec-17
Damn nice Ram

You did great

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

19-Dec-17
In this area the majority of the sheep a shot along the river. I knew the other 3 hunters would be going down river in jet boats and using rifles so I did some ground pounding farther up the canyons. There's nothing like stalking something only to have it blown off its feet in front of you. Day one I found a nice ram in some cliffs and spent the next 5 hours trying to get to him, but the closest to his level I got was 80yds above him. Day two found a group of sheep that included a couple of small Rams. Day 3 my dad came up to help. After hunting most of the day not seeing any sheep, or sign we decided to try moving down and glassing on the river till dark. I had ran into a DOW officer and they had informed me two Rams had been shot opening down river. With only a little over an hour till dark I raced my Toyota to hopefully find a place to glass. Using maps and not knowing the area I picked what I thought was good glassing point, but no road closed atv only dam! We turned around and we went to what the map showed as a open road. Luckily this one was open I parked and was getting out the spotting scope while dad glassed. Didn't look like a very promising spot but sheep had be shot there in the past. As the sun set I had to take care of some business only to be interrupted by dad saying he found a sheep. I got the scope in position and found over 40 sheep. Several Rams nothing huge but a place to start in the morning.

19-Dec-17
Sa-weet!

19-Dec-17
CONGRATS!!!!!

19-Dec-17
Fantastic! Congrats! I’ll be following along on this!

19-Dec-17
So happy for you! Thanks for sharing. I admire that you were committed to stick and string. Enjoy your success! C

19-Dec-17
So glad your Dad was able to get out there with you on this hunt!

Lots of hunting experience right there...

19-Dec-17
Very satisfying I am sure. Congratulations on a fine trophy! Sometimes it is definitely better to be lucky...

19-Dec-17
Awesome!!!

19-Dec-17
Way to go, congrats!

19-Dec-17
Great story so far, keep it coming. Big congrats to you and a fine ram and what a great picture as well.

19-Dec-17
Incredible to say the least. Congrats!

19-Dec-17
Super cool........sheep.........recurve............wow! BIG CONGRATS TO YOU!!!

19-Dec-17
Well done! looking forward to the rest of the story! Also where are you from?

19-Dec-17
Nice!!! Congrats!

19-Dec-17
Paul, Congrats on a CO Desert with a recurve!!

Is your Dad's name Gary?

19-Dec-17
Most excellent Paul ! Congrats !

19-Dec-17
Incredible! Congrats

19-Dec-17
wow! That is cool. Congrats!

19-Dec-17
That is the ultimate stickbow accomplishment. I don’t think I will have that dedication if I am ever drawn for any Desert sheep tag. Congratulations.

19-Dec-17
Paul, way to get it done with a recurve!! I've been anxiously waiting to see how your hunt went, looking forward to the rest of the story

19-Dec-17
Congrats on a fine trophy!! I was going to ask which unit but I think I know from the start of your story. I was with my cousin 3 years ago when he took his Desert on the Delores....awesome hunt and even better animals!!

19-Dec-17
Great going! You’re in for some of the finest eating too.

19-Dec-17
Wow what an accomplishment!

19-Dec-17
The next morning we got to our spot to glass again to see if we could locate the sheep again. After a few moments we found them but the herd had shrunk to 20 some. I think the group that left was pushed over from the gun hunters. Now to pack the kayak half a mile down off the ridge to the river. After getting kayak and gear down I loaded up for my first time ever In a kayak. A little shaky but I made it waved to dad and he left headed home. Wish he could've got across to hunt with me. I charged around the ridge to gain some ground on the herd. While working around the back side I see several sheep below me. After watching for a few minutes several more come down off from my side and joined them. Dam did I spook them did they smell me what caused them to leave was running through my brain. I backed out of view and climbed to the top and started around the other side to start over. Just walking down the ridge frustrated and I come over on the original group I started after. They hadn't move those were different sheep, but big oops as the herd is standing there looking at me at 40yds. I just stood there looking thinking I just blew my chance. After a few minutes sheep still watching I decided to retreat and pout, as I walked parallel to them they just stood there. Dang I wonder if slightly angle to them if I could close the gap. 40 is out of my range i needed 30 and in. I managed 30 and got ready waiting for a ram to be open and clear, after what felt like days a nice 3/4 curl was clear. I raised and drew thinking full draw, pick a spot but SHEEP FEVER took over. As I jerked the snot out of it and sent the arrow 5 ft to the right and 3 ft high. I wanted to puke. Sheep ran away and I sulked all the way back.

19-Dec-17
Keep it coming good stuff!

19-Dec-17
The next day found me back where the sheep were after hunting a couple hours I found them again. I spent most of the day waiting for them to get somewhere stalkable. Finally they moved around and started heading to where I could intercept them. I was able to move along a rim of rocks looking down on the herd patiently waiting as they moved closer then away several times. I had them 55 yds and feeding closer. With the sun starting to set I waited just as everything looked promising the lead ewe snapped her head up looking to my right. I slowly panned to the right to see 3 more ewes and a nice 3/4 coming down. I'm stuck between two groups and can't do anything. The second group moves down and gets to about 60-70 feeding, then the ram beds down facing my direction. As the sun sets I have to just stand up and walk away. Listening to both herds run off in the dark. Then I still have to cross the river in the dark, if you've never kayaked up stream so you can make your way across to the only landing point in the bank in the dark DON'T

19-Dec-17
More..more..more!!

19-Dec-17

Group I fell apart on
Group I fell apart on

19-Dec-17

Group next day at 55yds
Group next day at 55yds

19-Dec-17
Glad you made it across the river and didn't end up in westwater in the dark. Must of been a hell if a pack back up to the truck

19-Dec-17
Spent the next day back hoping for another chance but sheep weren't cooperating. The fallowing day I found some different sheep to go after and after a long stalk they busted in range. 2 Rams and 3 ewes ran up and looked down at me roughy now 50-60 yds away while 1 ram ran past me and up on the cliff at17 yds. He stopped almost broadside looking at me. Flustered I rushed the shot a sent it just low into the cliff wall. Dam choked again. Anothe long walk and kayak ride back. I couldn't resist the fallowing day and returned to where I had seen the most sheep. Another long day of stalking and I'm in range. Just have to wait for the shot. Finally a opportunity 30yds broadside and feeding, take my time and send the shot just low again. Disgusted again sitting there watching the biggest ram so far walk over the hill ( 160"ish) The next few days I tried several different places the DOW believed there were sheep but I logged 53 miles on gps tracker and never saw any sheep or sign.

19-Dec-17
Paul, congratulations on the tag and ram and say Hi to your father for me! Kurt

19-Dec-17
After the 3day death march I spent the morning glassing finding nothing. I went back to where I had gotten into sheep. Deciding to make a hunt for the evening I headed back across river. Hunting my way up and around threw all the places I had seen the sheep. Finding nothing dang it apparently you can only spook sheep a handful of times before they leave the country. Making my way back early enough so the return boat ride is during daylight I run into the sheep which had been in some low cliffs along the river. I quickly move to get in position as the now bumped sheep move onto the next hill. They stop and look back all standing in a line. The sheep is a nice ram I raised and shot. This time my arrow finds its mark. The ram runs over the hill as I also ran to be able to see where he goes. I can see the ram make it up the next hill stop and stager then fall. I think I only touched the ground twice covering the 150 yds in 2 tenths of a second to his side. The impossible dream of getting a desert came true.

19-Dec-17

Loaded up for the final trip across, the rope on the ram was tied to my waist
Loaded up for the final trip across, the rope on the ram was tied to my waist

19-Dec-17
What a cool hunt! Congrats again. How many desert sheep do you see pictured in a kayak!!!

19-Dec-17
Great story thanks for telling it! Congrats bud!

20-Dec-17
Congratulations... great story

20-Dec-17
"Goats from Boats!"

20-Dec-17
it is a sheep

20-Dec-17
I understand its a sheep.

Do you understand that doesn't rhyme?

20-Dec-17
so misclassify an animal for a rhyme?

20-Dec-17
Awesome hunt! Congratulations!

20-Dec-17
Good Deal !

20-Dec-17
Awesome hunt, fantastic story! Thanks for sharing it with us. I can only imagine the rush you had. You gave me the feeling when you said you only touched the ground twice to get to him, LOL. Also like your pictures. Is a good an understanding of what your up against.

I would have tied the rope from horns to kayak though, not my waste. js.

20-Dec-17
Tying rope to kayak would've been safer, but had I flipped I was going with the ram the kayak i didn't care if it went to the ocean. Lol

20-Dec-17
Awesome adventure, Paul! Congratulations on a great hunt and trophy!

Maybe a moose tag next year;)

20-Dec-17
Awesome!

20-Dec-17
Congrats & thanks for sharing!

20-Dec-17
Incredible! Living the dream! Thanks for posting

20-Dec-17
Yes, the mental side of sheep hunting is the hardest! Way to stick with it and congrats.

21-Dec-17
Dream come true for sure! Congrats

21-Dec-17
I have know a few guys that had wanted to kill that Colorado Desert Ram with their bow but then gave up and shot it with a rifle. Thanks for sticking with the stick.

I guess the only way I will draw that tag is to leave Colorado, get residency in another state, and then apply as a non resident. I am glad you get the tag. my best, Paul

21-Dec-17
Ha! Paul I know you're joking of course...resident odds being 4X better than NR.

Congrats again to whipranger!

21-Dec-17
Congrats!!!

21-Dec-17
congrats, cool story.

21-Dec-17
Awesome man!

21-Dec-17
Can't use a rifle if you don't own one

21-Dec-17
Awesome trophy!!! Well done!!!

21-Dec-17
Congrats!!

22-Dec-17
Great story and what a hunt. Grats! Thanks for taking the time to tell us about it.

22-Dec-17
Great story, congratulations

22-Dec-17
Talk about perseverance! Great job, thanks for sharing.

22-Dec-17
Great sheep, and a heck of a story and pictures, congrats, Peter.

22-Dec-17
Great story and congratulations on an awesome trophy! Good job sticking with it through all the adversity. Misses happen with any sort of bow (Yeah, I know too well..) but you kept your chin up. Great effort!

25-Dec-17
Congratulations on a great hunt, well done

26-Dec-17
Sheep with a recurve. ....is that even possible? ???

Phenomenal!

26-Dec-17
Very cool. Good job!

• Sitka Gear