Trial153 20-Dec-17
Z Barebow 20-Dec-17
sticksender 20-Dec-17
LONEBULL 20-Dec-17
Z Barebow 20-Dec-17
standswittaknife 20-Dec-17
19-Dec-17

Bowboy's Link
Did any of you see this? Basically outfitters want more elk tags for there clients. What are your thoughts?

19-Dec-17
Doesn't matter what we think. There is no plan, currently. And any plan that increases the nr take from the roughly 18% we currently get will likely never pass. The region concept is foolish without the nr being able to disperse to the wilderness areas.

19-Dec-17
I read it as tho more non res will get tags. But that doesn’t necessarily mean a nonres will hire an outfitter.

What are your thoughts as a WY resident Craig? Along the same lines as stated in the article?

19-Dec-17
I think it should stay status quo. I'm not sure if it would benefit Nonresidents unless they use the services of an outfitter which may be a requirement to apply.

19-Dec-17
I just assume keep it the way it is. Like the article states at the end, increase tags and decrease the experience.

19-Dec-17
As a non resident I would gladly pay an outfitter for the chance to hunt WY if it would increase my odds of drawing a tag.

19-Dec-17
As an NR, I say leave it alone. As has been mentioned, part of the allure of Wyoming is the quality of experience no matter the tag. General or LE.

19-Dec-17
I agree with those who say "leave it alone."

I'm a non-resident and I find Wyoming to be very generous to non-residents, compared to most other western states. Even with the Wilderness Area guide requirement, Wyoming is still generous.

If this passes, I predict Wyoming residents will get serious about legislation that cuts deer and antelope down to the 10% found in many states, a far cry from the 25-40% non-residents get for those species. And the elk percentage may stay there for a couple years, but when Wyoming residents get PO'd, expect that to come down to 10%, also.

Often, a good situation is just too good for some folks and they have to mess with it. I hope this proposal dies a quick death.

20-Dec-17
I agree with most of you. Leave it alone. I am a non res.

The outfitters are already getting state sponsored welfare with the "no non-res in a wilderness area without a guide" ridiculousness. Until that is fixed, I wouldn't support giving WY outfitters ANYTHING else.

20-Dec-17
Lobbyists

20-Dec-17
I predict this will be a tough sell to the residents. Who knows though there is a member on the WGFD Commission with strong ties to the outfitter industry so you never know.

20-Dec-17
If you think it can't be done, just look at what they did with landowner tags in Colorado which is basically the same thing, more tags to non residents or to people with deep pockets and not to me

20-Dec-17
If its something outfitters want, it's a bad idea.

20-Dec-17
Wyoming resident desire to further limit NR numbers should also have the desire to dig deeper into their wallets. Back in 2000 I came accross a few residents who were quite vocal about me a NR with a Shiras moose Tag when they had been applying for years and coming up short.

I said maybe if they charge resident the same as NR he would get a tag quicker. (Around $35 versus $900 at the time) they said they never pay that and said I was lying about price. Showed them the tag with the cost printed on top. Pretty quiet. I did say that actually a resident did get a allocated NR tag as the unit was undersubscribed back then. Of course he only paid the $35 for it.

Talk a good plan need pay for good plan.

20-Dec-17
Thanks Big Fin. You're right, in that sometimes a good situation is best left alone.

20-Dec-17
When opportunity becomes money centric hunting looses.

20-Dec-17
Huntcell- On another thread, WB posted video from commission meeting where this was brought up. (By an outfitter). I do not think residents are trying to sell this idea. At least on Bowsite, it is not NR DIY folks who are trying to promote idea. I will let you fill in the blank.

20-Dec-17
As a NR I would support this change under one condition....if the NR wilderness outfitter rule is rescinded. Otherwise better to leave well enough alone. I won't be totally shocked if this tag proposal manages to get passed though. The pro-outfitter sentiment seems to be a powerful force with the powers-that-be in WY.

20-Dec-17
I think there would be a better chance of Trump leaving his wife for Rosie O'Donnell than the outfitters giving up the wilderness law!!

20-Dec-17
LONEBULL- I would agree. I didn't even consider sticksenders idea. Even if it were bundled together, that provision would be rescinded in final negotiations and everyone would stand around wondering what happened. Except outfitter lobby. (Think NM 84/16 R/NR split from several years back)

20-Dec-17
This happened in Colorado as the guides teamed up with landowners and stole another 5 percent so they could get more clients.

• Sitka Gear