Lefty 18-Feb-18
BOHNTR 18-Feb-18
wyobullshooter 18-Feb-18
Jaquomo 18-Feb-18
bigswivle 19-Feb-18
BobH92057 19-Feb-18
BULELK1 20-Feb-18
28-Dec-17
I have been Processing out this week to retire on the 30th.

Exit interview today and all the final turn in of work related equipment.

35 years with a 7 year break while I ran Llama Adventure Treks on my Forest Service Permit over above Flaming Gorge Lake in the '90's.

Anyone else going to 'Everyday Is Saturday' this year?

Good luck, Robb

28-Dec-17
Now quite yet- I've got about 20 years left! Congrats Robb!

28-Dec-17
I literally sold the farm when I was 55 and thought I would hunt and fish the rest of my life. Didn't happen. A year or so later I was going nuts with boredom and went back to work for the guys that bought out part of my business. It wasn't what I thought it would be.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your retirement.

28-Dec-17
Congrats, Robb! Probably a half dozen years more for me.

28-Dec-17
Congrats Robb, good for you. I’m ready, just got to pull the trigger. Been talking to guys who are retired and haven’t had many tell me they regret it. Good luck.

28-Dec-17
Robb, congratulations, I may let go in two years but need to learn to live on less.

28-Dec-17
Congrats Robb! Enjoy your freedom!

28-Dec-17
Congrats Robb! 31 Jul for me. Can’t wait!!!

28-Dec-17
Congrats Robb. Probably another 3yrs for me.

28-Dec-17
Congrats. I am eligible March 1st but will probably keep working for awhile.

28-Dec-17
Congrats. Go out and do what you want to do.

I am sure it will be surreal the first couple of days. I had one of my guys retire in March. He wanted to come back after a week. I told him we wouldn't backfill his position for a month and he should take that month and think about it. He called me back a week later and said he was going to stay retired. I talked to him last week and he said he couldn't believe he wanted to come back. He said this has been the best 9-months of his life.

I have 25-years left or until my financial advisor tells me I hit the number I need.

28-Dec-17
Retired in 2014 after being a custodian for 29 1/2 ,years.school district offered a buyout and I took it.was totally burnt out.best move I ever made.works not everything.

28-Dec-17
13 calendar months. Subtract 9 weeks of vacation from that is all I have left to work.

C'mon Saturdays!

28-Dec-17
Yea, 16 years ago and never looked back although I did do some odd jobs, like house painting with a friend for a few years. I hope you developed a good retirement plan and have an understanding wife that supports you in your "at home stays". Now look out for the "honey do's" list, and keep busy. And then when hunting seasons roll by, you will be ready and able. Keep healthy because that is what really counts in our later years. my best, Paul

28-Dec-17
That's awesome Robb, Congratulations! I have about 15 more years, I wanna walk at 65.

Good Luck and enjoy life brother!

28-Dec-17
Robb, Good going i'm going on ten years and loving it, A few short jobs in MT. Wy. and Ak. just for fun. life is good. may come down to UT. for mule deer this year will let you know. J.C.

28-Dec-17
Congrats Robb!

My goal is to be financially able to retire by age 62. That's six years out. Currently a couple years ahead of schedule...but not counting my chickens yet....LOL!

28-Dec-17
Thats awesome Robb! Congrats.

I can retire in 7. I am only 46 so I don't plan to leave unless Gov. Bevin forces me out at that point with his proposed pension reform. We need it badly in KY as the pension is in terrible shape.

28-Dec-17
So jealous!

My upper end target is 5 more years, sooner I hope. Financially things line up within the next 12 as we will be mortgage/loan/debt free, then wait/keep building the nest egg for the financial analyst to say "go". If I hang til 58 work will carry my health insurance, at least what they pay now, until I hit medicare age. So that's my upper end 5 year plan. Hopefully sooner.

28-Dec-17
Not yet.... both sons in Optometry School so I'll practice 7 more years to have some time with them then hang the spikes up.....Congrats to you Rob

28-Dec-17
Congrats to those who retired or are getting close. I was put out to pasture at 51. Had 30yrs in the CG and went as high as I could. It was time to go and I knew it.

One bit of advice to those getting close to retiring. Make sure you and mama are on the same sheet of music with plans and expectations for each of you.

28-Dec-17
Congratulations on your well earned retirement! I wish you good health!

I retired last December, 2016, after 41 years at UPS, the last 17 as a Feeder Driver. I was 60.

I don't regret it for an instant.

I ice fish, spring fish, spring turkey hunt, golf 2-5 times per week, more fishing, yard work, watch our 2 granddaughters, bow hunt, you get the idea.

If any tells you that "you'll get bored, or I was bored"...shame on them.

You don't get anything added at the end, if you work longer now...

28-Dec-17
Congrats Robb!

28-Dec-17
Retired 3 years ago at age 51, I work part time now. It’s a big advantage having more time to hunt , especially during the week. Have fun.

28-Dec-17
I wish! Congrats Robb!

28-Dec-17
Started in August after 50 plus years takes a little bit of getting used to but so far so good good luck Lewis

28-Dec-17
I’m planning for it, but not planning to for quite some time.

Congrats Robb! Enjoy every minute of it! I’m curious. What did you do for living?

28-Dec-17
That's awesome. Congrats Robb. Hope it is everything your expecting and more.

28-Dec-17
Robb, congrats on your "graduation"

I'm 10 yrs past and have loved everyday. Have truly been blessed.

You will be so busy, a regular job would just be a hinderance!

28-Dec-17
Retiring no no later than June1st. At the age of 65, hoping i have a few more elk hunts left. I admire what Paul is able to do. He is truly an inspiration to all elk hunters.

28-Dec-17
2 Years and 343 more days to go but who's counting.........boredom ?? Bring it on........

28-Dec-17
I'm 55 and I plan on a couple more years before I'm out. Can't wait.

28-Dec-17
I guess I retired a little over two years ago, when oil hit the bottom. I still wouldn't mind working, but I'm not up for the seven day weeks anymore. It does let me do my hunting and food plotting when I want to instead of when I have to, so that's a good thing. The only downside to retirement that I see is greatly reduced income :-)

Good luck Robb !

28-Dec-17
Congratulations, Robb! I bailed at 60 and never looked back. I can't imagine going back to work. I'm busy all the time, no job stress, lots of volunteer stuff to stay as engaged as I want.

You'll know you're finally "there" when you continually have to look at the calendar to know what day it is, in case you have a Dr. appointment or something. For me, that took about a year. Now every day feels like Saturday, though I do plan some stuff on weekends to hang with some unfortunate friends who still have jobs.

28-Dec-17
14 months and six days but who is counting? Just bought some land in Wyoming that will likely factor in to the plan.

28-Dec-17
Congrats Robb....enjoy!

28-Dec-17
I retired May 1st in 2017 and turned 66 May 4th. Don't miss work at all. What day is anyway?

28-Dec-17
Congrats Robb!

I'm with cnelk, 13 months minus 10 weeks of vacation if I choose to use it all rather than cashing it out... Can't frickin wait!

28-Dec-17
Congrats Robb!!!! I'm on the work until I die plan so I won't have the pleasure of retirement.

28-Dec-17
Congrats Robb. I’m 46 and am planning on calling it quits at 62....subject to change I suppose. We talked about retiring to Colorado for several years. I just made that a lot more likely with a job transfer here.

28-Dec-17
Congrats and Godspeed. Personally, I suspect retirement is one of those highly valued ,yet, unwittingly deleterious social constructs. Similar to "adolescence." The successful retirees I know are the folks who can substitute hobbies and volunteer work for compulsory employment and still be validated intellectually, spiritually and emotionally. They work the same or more; they just do what they want. There's a life lesson there.:)

28-Dec-17
Welcome to the brotherhood!!

Driving to Illinois right now for 16 more days of whitie hunting. I’ll have to wait till then to do my whitie report card:)

9.5 years out for me. My wife had me figure out how many days I hunted in 2017. 117 Ha “every day is Saturday”!

I really admire guys that love their job but it wasn’t to be for me!

Over night success takes about 30 years. Spend less than you earn every year and no matter what your income level you’ll be fine:)

By the time you have money you have no time!! Best keep my eyes on the road! C

28-Dec-17
I plan to stop working my current job and drawing my pension on or near 8/25/18

I already have other job offers for after, as I will only be 55.

I do plan to take 6 months off if I can swing it before I start my new career.

28-Dec-17
"Not yet.... both sobs in Optometry School so I'll practice 7 more years to have son.e time with them then hang the spikes up.....Congrats to you Rob"

I hope that's a typo Steve. Your boys are too big to refer to them like that. :)

28-Dec-17
I did in 2014 and tho I loved my career (LE), I'm busier and happier now than ever. My time--> is MY time....I hope your retirement is the same.

28-Dec-17
4 years to retire. Rehabbing from knee replacement 4 weeks ago. 55 retiring at 59. Have to work one more year as we just purchased 52 more acres of hunting land. Then hunt as my wife and I wish.

28-Dec-17
Retired at 62, volunteered at the CAF which morphed into a full time job restoring a B-17. When it was back flying my wife retired and we now live full time in the mountains of AZ. There is not enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do, but I hunt a lot. Work on honey doos a lot and enjoy great neighbors.

Took a great bull elk at 72. Now I need to get one for my wife.

Terry

28-Dec-17
I retired in July 2017. For me I'm still adjusting. Actually hunted less last fall than previous years but went on spur of the moment trips like to Yellowstone last September with my bride of 30 years. Now, I'm going through PT for the next 3+ months after having a total shoulder replacement two weeks ago with plans of bowhunting again this summer in Namibia and elk hunting this fall.

28-Dec-17
Good luck on your upcoming retirement. I don't know how some of you younger retired guys can swing it but I am jealous. I wish I could retire but still too young with young kids. Maybe in 12-15 years or so. My wife is 6 years younger than me and owns a small business, so I cover health insurance now. I already let her know that she will need to cover my medical insurance so I can retire early. See how that works out.

28-Dec-17
Rob, awesome! Good luck in starting a new chapter! I turned over the reins nearly 9 years ago & have no regrets! It seems like I'm busy everyday, I suspect you will be too! Good Luck my friend!

ElkNut/Paul

28-Dec-17
3 years and 9 months to go. Not that I am counting. Will be 55 then. It can not get here soon enough.

28-Dec-17
Went 3/4 time when I was 62. Then tried half time for another year. Finally said regular half time still ties a man down too much. So went casual for the last year. I’m finally down to just a couple of days a month. I’ll be 65 in June. I’m never bored and always busy (as I want to be) and can’t imagine working again!

I think the most important part of being able to retire happy is to be able to afford the lifestyle you want without financial hardship. If you are happy with “little” then less is needed. Some of the most unbhappy retirees I’ve encountered are one’s that retired with average means and above average expectations. Made them envious and miserable! Should have stayed working a few more years.

Contentment can be elusive, but thankfully is not strictly tied to wealth. More to outlook and attitude.

28-Dec-17
Right on Robb!! Don't slow down brother!! Too many guys i know worked like madmen,masons,carpenter's,concrete guys,,,only to kick up there foot on a Florida barstool and drop over a few years after "retiring ". Hit it hard buddy ,,,,the great outdoors.......all animal's BEWARE!!!!!!

28-Dec-17
May retire this summer. That will make 43 yrs. in gas pipeline business. At some point you need to go to the next stage of your life . Just have to pull the trigger. It is a big decision. Wish you a great retirement Robb.

28-Dec-17
Congrats Robb I have 5 years left I'll be 58. Can't come soon enough!

28-Dec-17
Good Deal Robb! Congratulations!

28-Dec-17
Congrats! I have 3.5 years left. My wife has 2 days left! Yes, I am jealous.

28-Dec-17
Congratulations, Robb. I’m a little over a year away.

28-Dec-17
Congratulations & JUST ENJOY it. 16 years ago for me & it's been Family, water parks (15 g-kids), fishing, bowhunting & archery tournaments.. It goes fast.

28-Dec-17
I retired from teaching in 2007 when they offered us older teachers buyouts. Free healthcare that dissolved after one year. They were in a bind and i went back for a year and a half when the teacher who replaced me didn't pan out. I continue to coach two varsity sports, teach PE one day a week, and spend a lot of time in a studio as a sessions player. I just finished working on an educational album and just got contracted for another due in a month. I guess at 71, I am not retired.

28-Dec-17
Congrats Robb! I retired in 2002 just 3 months before I was 55 and haven't look back. I'm hoping for another 15 years and then the good Lord can put me out to pasture.

28-Dec-17
Congratulations.... I retired a few months ago... against my will

28-Dec-17
Congratulations Robb! It was the best thing that I ever did.

28-Dec-17
I retired in September. I should have left sooner. Congrats enjoy

28-Dec-17
Congrats!!! Im guessing a hunting trip out east with Don V is in the works? :)

28-Dec-17
Congrats, Robb! We'll talk soon!

28-Dec-17
Congrats Robb! Been happily married now for 38 years. If God allows me to live, I will be 62 in 4 years. Finically ready or not, I will be gone. Life is way 2 short to worry if enough money will be there or not. My early retirement portfolio looks great. Hope you nothing but the very best that Life has to offer. Great each & everyday as a Gift & stay ready to meet Almighty God. Enjoy your retirement to the max! God Richly Bless

28-Dec-17
Congratulations Rob! Bet you’ll like it!

I retired once at 56 then again at 62. Work a day a month or so yet when it doesn’t interfere with hunting! Built a new house as the general contractor and did all the landscaping. Also had time to arrow a Roosevelt elk, Brown Bear, Stone Sheep, Dall sheep, moose, Musk Ox and a few Coues deer, whitetails and black bears since I retired. Life is short, hunt hard! Good luck!

29-Dec-17
March 14, 2024. Could have jumped on December 1st, but got a promotion and promised the Director I’d give him 7 years to help get the new Gas Storage program up and running. The wife will be 59 1/2 then and house will be paid off.

29-Dec-17
Great reading fella's-----> Thanks for sharing.

Kinda screwy year as my unplanned divorce was final on August 4th/2017 so I had to back up my retirement till the end of the year.

I looked at lots of hunting options like combo Alaska Dall, moose grizz and many other options like that.

I came with in a hair of submitting my deposit for my dream hunt Marco Polo Ram but I just wanted something more for my $$$ than another hunt! and maybe two weeks of 'Memories'.

I still have the daydreams but not so much the desire to $pend on more hunts.

So I spent the $$ on a Retirement Gift for myself, I get some pix together and share.

I did a tour in 'Nam via the US Navy.

I just retired from transporting Secret & Top Secrect Explosives and NWRM assets for our National Defense Department.

I will admit that I was one of those type guys that loved my job.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Good luck, Robb

29-Dec-17
Did it 18 years ago. I'm actually better off today than when I was working full time. Just a tip: Use up all your vacation and sick leave before you leave. The policy where I worked on sick leave was use it or loose it! I tried to be mister nice guy and also a (dumb ass) and gave them back over 2 months of sick leave instead of using it.

29-Dec-17
Robb, sometimes the unplanned circumstance works out better in the long run...

Countryboy, life is short, but you also need to think about your wife's future. If you don't have a long term care policy of some sort, look hard at one. My mom is in a nursing home, costs $100,000 a year. Medicare pays zero. Medicaid will kick in when every penny is spent but there is a shortage of Medicaid eligible beds and it's only getting worse. And the surviving spouse is basically bankrupt and destitute at that point.

29-Dec-17
Wow, glad to hear you could still retire after a divorce! Congrats.

While I'm not retired per se, I am self employed with no real income currently or work to do. My wife works, and I spend so I'm good with status quo for the next 18 years until she hits 65. It is the best plan I have been able to come up with since birth...

29-Dec-17
I am ready too retire now but the Boss (my wife) tells me I have to wait for 2 years until we launch our next Rocket as she wants to go to the launch, Orion Spacecraft that will orbit the Moon and return to earth which is our last test flight prior to manned flight back to the Moon and eventually onto Mars. Am thinking about seeing if they will let me work part time taking 5 months off each year.

29-Dec-17
I tried retirement, found it to be a waste of time for me. Took classes and developed a new career path.

29-Dec-17
I can go in March of this year. I won't retire completely. I'll start pulling S.S. and cut way back, but I still don't have the urge to make everyday Saturday...Yet !

30-Dec-17
The divorced played out well for both of us.

We each kept/have our own retirement pensions ect

We split 50/50 all of our joint savings acct.s

Kept our individual IRA Roth's ect to our selves.

I kept the home here, sold the Wyo property and she is building her retirement home in the 4-corners area to move to in 2019.

We both are pretty content.

Good luck, Robb

PS- I have a couple bud's that always bragged about their Young wife....now at mid to late 50's they are divorcing and paying child support, spousal support and lost boo-coo retirement pensions %.!!!

30-Dec-17
Retired 1 year ago today at 52yo. I believe, and experience, as ground hunter states: you'll do in retirement what you did before. I didn't have enough time to do all I wanted before and I still don't have enough time. In fact, I'm busier now as I ever was before because I've always had more interests than I can tend to with a "both feet in" style I typically have.

Staying out of consumer debt (quit borrowing to buy cars and stuff), buying a modestly valued house and paying it off very early, saving max tax deferred every year as allowed, cooking for ourselves vs restaurants (one of the biggest savings!!), and being mindful of perpetual account draining holes (mag subscriptions, little used memberships, and all that stupid crap money gets blown on, etc), doesn't only allow saving more, it also has the benefit of you living every year on much less income than you could have. I refer to it as burning the candle of a comfortable lifestyle at both ends. Meaning: you may save near half your income and the converse of that is it only cost half your income to live a good life. And that latter is because people always learn to live at their paycheck level, whether it goes up or down.

Most scoff and act like it's not realistic but it's truly follows: It's not that we could and other can't; It's that we did and other won't.

30-Dec-17
I retired at 57. One of the best things I ever did. As others have said, I've been busy and never get bored. Keep active, that's the secret.

30-Dec-17
Little more time left for me. Good luck and enjoy!

30-Dec-17
Retired 7/16 at 62... lost 2 fishing buddies 1 in Iraq, 1 to cancer... lost lifetime hunting buddy to a heart attack...have 22 pts elk 22 deer Colorado, max elk deer antelope wyoming, 11 pts elk deer and ? Moose...guys u will run out of time before money...remember they stuff cotton up our a** not money when we die pull the trigger...life is short.. go hunt

30-Dec-17
Rock, do you work for Lockheed?

30-Dec-17
It's not for everyone. I know some high achievers (career-wise) who couldn't adjust and had to go back to work. I know others who have no passions and will work until they drop.

That was never a problem for me. Besides my hunting-fishing-adventuring problem, I work with wounded and disabled veterans, youth fishing, manage two big private fisheries as a volunteer, am on three boards. I am as busy as I want to be and feel fulfilled.

I guess its about what you value in life. Some want to be defined by how much money they can accrue before they die, some collect career accomplishments as trophies, while for others a structured job gives them a purpose in life and a social network. People who can walk away from those needs and focus that energy towards themselves, their families, and others are truly "retired" from the machine.

31-Dec-17

BULELK1's embedded Photo
Big Red is BULELK1 and Lil Indi is ordered BULELK2
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Big Red is BULELK1 and Lil Indi is ordered BULELK2
I started a small savings account for when I retired way back when I first got out of the Navy.

My dad kinda lit the fire in me to do this as he had done it and it added up fast over the many years.

I had a Retirement gift savings acct. @ $45k----So I 'could' fudge it to an even $50k

Like I stated above, I looked into many hunts and some High End offerings. I just couldn't pull the release for a hunt and another Dead Head on the wall if I did indeed harvest.

Soooooooo

I went for BULELK2

Cash/title out the door. ($45k final cost)

Good luck, Robb

31-Dec-17

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
First Snowshoe trip up Mill Creek Canyon with 67 miles on it

31-Dec-17

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I took it on my elk hunt in Wyoming and added a small enclosed trlr 5 x 8 and it towed great/averaged 13.9 MPG for the trip and used 4x4 a couple times.

31-Dec-17

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I like the Indigo Blue color and I am doing so much more snow shoeing this year already.

Snow Basin Ski resort in the background

There ya have it!! haha

Thanks for looking/sharing your thoughts

Good luck, Robb

31-Dec-17
Haha fixed it Mark!

31-Dec-17
Nice vehicle there Robb. Those place look awful familiar to me. Enjoy your retirement!

31-Dec-17
That jeep looks bad ass, Robb! cityhunter would be jealous!

31-Dec-17
Congrats Robb...I retired last March@62 and haven't Missed it a Bit (some of my Co-workers maybe)...People have told me the "you'll get Bored" comments but I've always believed their are different "Starters" in People...Some are Kick starts-Pull-Starts-Jump Starts-Push Starts-No Starters-Etc...But...If YOU are a Self Starter...There's No Time for Boredom...Good Luck Sir Great Times ahead...4finger

31-Dec-17
I am 60 1/2. I am looking at retiring at 62. I have talked to guys that have retired at 62. Best move they made. I was told the difference in money ranges from 150-200 a month. I have been working in health care for the last 25+ years. I have been taking care of people for along time. I have my health and my back. Plus, on april 28, 2015, I had surgery. They lost me on the table. They did bring me back. I was lucky. Now I am looking at doing for me. It's my time. Even my wife is looking at it. She has been a teacher for 35 yrs. I want to travel with her an visit people that I have met on bowsite from Colorado. An I am sticken to it.

31-Dec-17
My pay would be cut more than $200 a week. I would retire today if that was the case.

01-Jan-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Hey thanks!

I am most proud/content to be Debt Free as everything I own is actually Owned!

After tax deductions and my Single/High Option-medical & dental, I will bring home right at $5k a month, yeh bring home and with just $450 Utilities & about $300 eats/groceries, I will be saving over 1/2 my monthly bring home for those future rainy days.

Happy 2018!

Good luck, Robb

01-Jan-18
I already know what my pension will be, so Im already adjusting my 'take home pay' to that amount. Following a budget and still doing the things I typically do

01-Jan-18
Robb, sounds like you're in good shape.

I had an interesting discussion with my financial guy a couple weeks ago. He specializes in retirement planning/management for a whole bunch of folks. His belief - and mine too - is that in our part of the country (Colorado Front Range) a debt free couple needs around $5000 a month in today's dollars to have a good quality of life and do some things they really enjoy. Of course, that depends on cost of living in the area.

This is based upon his work with hundreds of retirees. We underestimated our budget needs in our pre-planning until we started accounting for everything now and possibly in the future. He said that's normal, as most people think optimistically like we did. Things like new tires, new roof, house paint, new furnace, new lawn mower, vehicle repairs, insurance, LTC insurance, property taxes, unforseen medical, etc.. all add up and tend to creep upward as people grow older and need to rely on (pay) others for tasks they used to do themselves.

His advice to many who think they have enough to retire is to work a couple more years and build a little bigger nest egg to cover things that might strain the pension and social security income.

01-Jan-18
Jaq and Robb. I hope you are right. My plan is to retire in August w/ 6000 a month and I am scared that will not be enough. My financial planner who is a fanatic hunter says I should of retired 2 yrs. ago. And he says he tells most clients to keep on working. And yes I am debt free and have free gas for now. Been watching this thread closely> AGAIN wish you well Robb! Greg

01-Jan-18
Robb, Did a tour in Vietnam myself with Naval Advisory Group Saigon. Recently dissolved my LLC after 24 years and now work for someone else and it's like being semi retired. I should have invested when my business was cooking along but I spent too much money on trips with my wife and on hunting trips! Our house is on the market now and when it sells I am headed for Louisiana and plan on spending a lot of time fishing in the marshes and hunting.

02-Jan-18
I 100% agree Lou

It certainly depends on where ya live/retire to be comfy with the Amount of Take home in retirement.

My life coach told me not to make any big decisions for about 6 months after I retire, like selling my current place and moving to Northern Arizona or to Wyoming.... She didn't think my idea of moving to Belize was of any real value.....BUMMER!! haha

Gene-------------- I hope ya filed for Agent Orange Compen$ation as most of us 'Nam guys got plenty of it all around us.

Good luck, Robb

30-Jan-18
Congratulations on retirement, Robb!

Glad to see you turned out alright with all the other stuff.

30-Jan-18
10 Years for me until we can live off wife’s pension then limp on until I can pull off my 401k! Which is kicking ass lately!

30-Jan-18
Congrats to all new and soon to be retirees!!

Jealous

30-Jan-18
Congrats Robb! Live it up brother! Sure would be nice to know how much time we have here! Pretty sure we all would have our finances calculated to the last dime!

30-Jan-18
Congrats!!!!

I've been retiring for the last 10 years or trying to figure out how to!!! ;)

30-Jan-18
Been retired 5.5 years - work is way over rated. Don’t know how I had time to do anything! My days are always blissfully full!

01-Feb-18
My retirement date is Friday, Jan 30th, 2037, the day before I turn 54. A long ways off still, but I've been putting money away since I was 14, and on track to bring that date in sooner, but not adjusting the plan yet with almost 19 years to go. Really do wish that financial planning was part of the education system for kids when they were still in school.

03-Feb-18
I HAVE LOOKED AT EVERYTHING. THE DIFFERENCE GOING OUT AT 62 VS 65 IS 200.00 PER MONTH. THAT IS WITH SS. I WILL GET ABOUT 150.00 FROM MY STATE JOB.(WILL HAVE 5 YRS. IN) I WILL HAVE INSURANCE, PLUS WHEN MY WIFE RETIRES, SHE WILL GET 80% OF HER PAY. I HAVE 1 1/2 YRS. SO JUNE 2019. THAT IS WHEN I WILL START DOING FOR MYSELF. I HAVE BEEN IN HEALTH CARE AND DOING FOR OTHERS FOR ALMOST 30 YRS. IT IS TIME I DO FOR MYSELF. FOR OVER 20 YRS. I WORKED IN THE ICU. I HAVE SEEN MY SHARE OF THINGS THAT HUMAN NEED NOT TO SEE. RIGHT NOW, I WORK AT A UNIVERSITY THAT IS THE ONLY UNIVERSITY OR COLLEGE THAT PROVIDES 24-7 CARE FOR DISABLED STUDENTS. SO THAT THEY CAN GO EARN A DEGREE. BUT THE BIG THING IS, ON APRIL 28TH, 2015. I DIED. I HAD TO HAVE SURGERY,(NOT CARDIAC) THEY LOST ME ON THE TABLE. THEY WHERE LUCKY TO BRING ME BACK. YES, I DO HAVE A DIFFERENT OUTLOOK. WHEN I DO RETIRE, MY WIFE AND I ARE ROADTRIPPING IT TO YELLOWSTONE. SEE SOME FRIENDS IN WYOMING AND HOPE TO VISIT SOME BOWSITER IN COLORADO. SO, I SMILE AND KNOD, AN TRY NOT TO GET HURT.

04-Feb-18
I retired on the first day I could do it with no penalty, my 60th birthday last November. I heard many telling me that I would be bored, what will you do all day, etc. It has been busy and a blast so far, but I consider myself a rookie at it. I love it and don't miss work at all. Lots of trips planned, and I don't mind the "honey-do's", in fact, I kind of like to fix things. My dad did not make a year after his retirement before he passed, and a good friend and co-worker didn't make a month, at 64 years old. That and the fact that I think I can afford it was enough for me. If the 4% rule is any guide, I/we should be fine.

04-Feb-18
I used to always think about it but when I am 100% honest with myself, I like having a place to go to every day. I really enjoy what I do and I know I would be bored to death if I had too much time off. I'm a HS teacher and even though it doesn't allow me to take off very much time during hunting seasons I get enough time off. I am contracted to work 186 days a years so I basically have half the year off anyway. Lastly, when I am off I spend way too much money.

I'm happy for everyone that is enjoying their retirement but I'm going to keep punchin' that time card. Who knows, one day I may change my mind.

04-Feb-18

4FINGER's embedded Photo
4FINGER's embedded Photo
If You Can...Then Do it...Your Not Getting any Younger ;)...You will Never get Bored when you have things to Do/See...4finger

04-Feb-18
I'll be 66 in August. March 2nd, I'm hanging up the welding hood for the last time.

04-Feb-18
Congrats Robb! So happy for one of the really good guys on the form. I was forced into an early retirement last year at 58 and found another job to take me to 60 ish. My wife and I will retire this fall and we feel ready emotionally and financially. You can't buy back time but you can adjust your lifestyle to available money. Fact!

04-Feb-18
Boris, your life began on April 28, 2015. Every day is a gift for all of us, but you know that better than anyone. Live it well, my friend!

Hopefully you can make it to Fort Collins on your trip, and we'll plan a Bowsiter get together in your honor!

In my 3 years and 9 months of retirement I haven't been bored for one minute. I feel blessed for each new day.

05-Feb-18
Good for you guys!

I totally agree Lou.

As I look back it is like how did I get anything done and work because it seems like I am always doing something and running out of time each day! haha

Good luck, Robb

05-Feb-18
Congrats to all of you that are loving retirement!

After 35 1/2 yrs, I am retiring March 1 from what I can honestly say for me is the coolest job in the world. Not too many people love every minute of their jobs. I am a taxidermist and exhibit artist at one of the top natural history museums in the country. Non profit organizations are struggling, so budget cuts forced the near elimination of the exhibits dept., and I am a casualty of those cuts. I have been blessed to have so many great years there, now I have to look forward and pursue other revenue options because I am too young to hang up my paint brushes...besides, I have too many hunts planned to pay for! Grin! I'm treating myself to a Jicarilla elk hunt as a retirement gift.

You hear of so many people that work their whole life and look forward to retirement, only to have health issues or even die shortly after. As Lou said, every day is a gift! Open your gifts and enjoy them to the fullest! I wish you luck, Robb...and everyone else enjoying retirement life!

06-Feb-18

LaGriz's embedded Photo
LaGriz's embedded Photo
Will be 63 in July. Hoping to keep working until Oct. Cobra Insurance will be expensive and will short of age 65. With all my protesting and griping I don't want any F - - - Obama Care option if I can be avoided. Looking forward to having time for Grandkids, Friends, and organizations like; LTB (Louisiana Traditional Bowmen) and RMEF. Of course I want to hunt more and escape from the So. Louisiana summer heat/humidity. I truly miss the mountains and visiting two weeks a year is not nearly enough. Good luck to all that are retired or are planning too soon!

LaGriz

06-Feb-18
Already there, congrats Robb, fish and game beware.

06-Feb-18
Congrats sir! Nope I’m one of the bowsite babies lol

11-Feb-18
I need some info on getting the paperwork started. I am looking at retiring in june 2019. Should I get the paperwork started in Jan. 2019? As I look at it, I have 210 work days left. I'm really not counting.

18-Feb-18
I retired the first of November. I was an educator and loved what I was doing, I was really good at any job they started throwing at me, Unfortunately for a number of us at the far right bottom of the old pay scale we had to go. I was the last of them all. The new pay scale takes twice as long if possible and the bottom (highest paying ) is10% less. . I had plans to work until I was 65 or more, did I say I loved my job. A number of health issues were coming into play. My wife said she wanted to spend some of our money together! Ive been busier than ever working at my daughters homes, my health seems to be improving, and I like it. We adjusted our (her) spending. Only real problem is insurance. I wish we would have planned a few things differently. Right now it seems like when I was self employed,.. work hard, play hard, sometimes sleep.

18-Feb-18
Less than 60 days away for me......

18-Feb-18
5 months, 12 days, 5 hours, 13 minutes, 33 seconds, but who’s counting? Ha!

18-Feb-18
3 years and 10 months and STILL retired! There is not one day I've woken up and thought. "Dang, I wish I could get on a plane today and fly someplace for a one hour meeting"...

19-Feb-18
Thursday morning if I hit those #s, if not, about 35 more years

19-Feb-18
5 years 1 month to go. Northrop Grumman.

20-Feb-18
I worked around quite a few Lockheed Martin and Northrup Grumman folks with my job under the National Defense Department.

Some real good retirements for you folks.

Congrats on your retirement plans!

I am Loving Life for sure.

Good luck, Robb

• Sitka Gear