casekiska 31-Dec-17
Jack Harris 31-Dec-17
Arrowhead 31-Dec-17
30-Dec-17

Jack Harris's embedded Photo
Took a late season doe last night. It was stressful with several mature due, little cover with snow on ground and all leaves down. It was 10 degrees, had my hands in muffler, bow on hook. Was waiting for an opportunity to pick up bow drawn and shoot so I didn't have to hold bow longer than I wanted to. Well I got bow in hand then the one just out of range locked in on me so I had to wait for her to turn head to draw. By this time I am shivering, but had this nice doe 20 yards quartering away the entire time. Eventually I got to let the arrow fly, aimed for last rib, expecting an armpit exit... Shot looked good, she walked off 20 yards and immediately bed down on all fours, laid her head down and expired in about 20 seconds or less... Wow that was easy. I could not find arrow. It was in her... Well the fletching was just barely sticking out her ass!

I think I cut the femoral, and autopsy showed holes in lungs, BH stopped at opposite shoulder... Never clipped the femoral before, but damn it sure was effective...

I just want to thank TBM for all his past infinite wisdom, as I can now say I did the "ham blaster".

30-Dec-17
Yep, classic Hamblaster! Gets them every time!

30-Dec-17
I am glad you took her down cleanly. Although the shot placement did not meet you expectations the result was as hoped. Enjoy her at every meal . I am glad for you.

30-Dec-17
Congrats!!

Mark

30-Dec-17
Was it tough to untie that rope from the tree it was tied to :) I need to try that shot I missed 3 different bucks under 20 yards broadside with the bow this fall. 2 ducked and one I just shot under !

30-Dec-17
Good job jack.

30-Dec-17
Again, congrats.

30-Dec-17
Steep Quartering Away! Deadly. Nice shot

30-Dec-17
Way to go, Jack!! Hamblaster did the job! I'm just gonna say it..... HOW DO YOU LIKE ME KNOW?!? :-D

30-Dec-17
HDYLMK ! You learned well grasshopper........

30-Dec-17
doe wt back straps, seasoned, rapped in bacon, grilled med rare. O'boy. my best, Paul

30-Dec-17
Thank goodness you saw her go down, Jack. Tracking spiders are useless below 40 degrees!

One thing that I do on late season sits is I use a heavy mitten on my bow hand and put a hand warmer inside. Inevitably, one of those dirty, rotten, nosey, suspicious does always seems to pin you down as soon as you get your bow in your hand. Congrats on the doe!

30-Dec-17
I did the same thing to spike elk once, but it was with a .30-06 and a 150 grain Barnes TTSX.

30-Dec-17
4 of us hunting a great lease,,,one of the guys group texts us all,,I just shot s big one.....right in the ass. We gathered,,gave him hell ....then walked 35 yards to the very dead buck,blood sprayed like a horror movie,,,,who knew about that pesky artery in the hind quarter....he said he did,,,,

30-Dec-17
What kind of broadhead? Sure did the job:) Have to say I’ve had my share of femorals. Lights out!

30-Dec-17
Nice Job Jack....

30-Dec-17
Doesn't look like luck to me Jack. It looks like a good shot on a hard quartering deer bro. Congrats

30-Dec-17
Thanks all - that is why I love quartering away shots - the margin for error is so much wider than any other shot... My September Doe was almost same angle, but instead of a few inches back from where I wanted (hamblaster), it was a few inches forward and exited the brisket... That doe went 100 yards with a paint can blood trail was the only difference.

31-Dec-17
I do not think this was luck at all. It was a good hit on a deer at a hard quartering away angle. From the looks of the amount of penetration achieved and from the looks of the angle of the arrow I imagine your arrow severed tissue in the intestines, stomach, liver and lungs. What's not to like about that!?! In my book that's a killing shot every time. Good shot. Good hit. Good kill. Congratulations! Hope you enjoy the venison.

31-Dec-17
^^^ I know it was a lethal shot, just that it was my first "hamblaster" in 33 years of bowhunting. My goal on quartering away shots is always to get both lungs, which based on the autopsy was achieved... The femoral artery was the added bonus in this case.

31-Dec-17
Jack it takes a REALLY BIG MAN to admit he is wrong and TBM is right. You will go down in Bowsite history as reaching that next level. Congratulations my man. No seriously Contrats on a good kill. I need some of that luck myself. Shot two deer that are still walking and missed another. I only have one for the dinner table this year.

• Sitka Gear