DartonJager 02-Jan-18
deerslayer 02-Jan-18
Kicker Point 02-Jan-18
Yogibar 02-Jan-18
30-Dec-17

TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
Just found this out.

Very sad indeed and very nice all around guy.

Really enjoyed his videos and photos and the contributions to Deer & Deer Hunting.

30-Dec-17
I’m sorry to hear this. I enjoyed his writing.

30-Dec-17
I hate to hear this. I looked forward to his articles in Deer and Deer Hunting magazine, one of the few I still read. Every time I ever saw him on tv he seemed like a down to earth good guy. RIP Charlie.....

30-Dec-17
That is a loss to the hunting community.

30-Dec-17
Hoax...

30-Dec-17
Wow, a great loss for the hunting community. RIP Charles.

30-Dec-17
I couldn't find anything on him.

31-Dec-17
I think this is a hoax also. Treestand, are you sure?

31-Dec-17
Looks to be legit. RIP.

From Deer and Deerhunter: "It is with heavy hearts and deep sadness that we report the sudden passing of longtime D&DH Senior Field Editor Charles J. Alsheimer of Bath, N.Y. Charlie was not only our longest-tenured contributor (since 1979), he was a very dear friend to everyone on our staff. His insights on deer behavior and hunting helped educate countless thousands of whitetail fanatics. Rest in peace, sir."

31-Dec-17
No hoax. Rest in peace Charlie.

31-Dec-17
Oh man, what a loss to the hunting community. RIP.

31-Dec-17
Good Man, always enjoyed his talks, books, articles and pictures. Spoke a lot of truth. Loved life, hunting and the lord above. He's in a better place. My heart felt condolence to the family. God bless.....

31-Dec-17
RIP

31-Dec-17
I am sure he will be looking down on us as we enter the field. my best, Paul

31-Dec-17
RIP. One of the best.

31-Dec-17
Wow, I met him quite some time ago. He used to do a lot of filming and study deer behavior at Avery's deer farm in the Adirondacks. I was visiting there with my kids back in the 90's and he happened to be there. Talked to us for a couple hours!! Great guy and as everyone has said a big lose to the deer hunting community! Shawn

31-Dec-17
One of my favorites. I didn't buy into his rut/moon phase stuff. But he did a ton of great stuff.

31-Dec-17
What a great and passionate guy....will be missed by many. I learned a lot from Charlie!

Mark

31-Dec-17
May God rest his soul. Charlie was a guest speaker at our Annual Banquet a few years ago. What a humble man of God he was. He took the time to speak with whoever wanted to ask him a question. He devoted decades of his life to observe, film, and learn about whitetail deer behavior. This is loss for the entire hunting brethren.

31-Dec-17
Always wearing a smile! He was closer to the Whitetail than most!

31-Dec-17
Man. This is terrible news. RIP Charlie!

31-Dec-17
You know... with all of todays " fake" news, and social media, who know what the heck to believe anymore...... really.

I checked the D&D site also to make sure, this would have been great fake news.... but its not.

Godspeed Charlie, keep watch over us all.

31-Dec-17
RIP sir. You did good!

31-Dec-17
He will be missed. I have read and observed his wildlife photography for many years.

He was a true "student" of whitetails and their behavior. Through his studies and observations, he inturn taught us.

He will be greatly missed. Prayers for his family.

31-Dec-17
Well damn, RIP MR. Alsheimer...

31-Dec-17

TREESTANDWOLF's Link
Just wanted to add one more great story about Charlie and his last hunt, this year.

31-Dec-17

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
I bought this book back in 2004 when I started hunting. Still page through it once a year. RIP Charlie.

31-Dec-17
I remember when he would write articles with pics of Big Jim from Avery’s Deer farm in the ADK’s.

RIP Charlie

31-Dec-17
Every time I look at a full moon, I think about his philosophy on the correlation of the 2nd full moon past the fall equinox and rut.

With the announcement, I am guessing he died on 12/31/17. If so, he died within one day of a full moon. 1/1/18 is full moon.

31-Dec-17
Looks like Charlie died on Saturday,12/30 not Sunday, 12/31.

31-Dec-17
RIP

01-Jan-18
Sorry to hear. I didn't think he was that old. I read a lot of his stuff. Seemed like a good guy.

01-Jan-18
Terrible news, he was one of my favorites. Prayers for him and his family. He had the ability and means to keep tabs on bucks with his research. One of my favorites was when he documented the life of a buck from a yearling to death. Amazing to see antler development and body changes over the deer's lifespan. Another was when he and his son set out to kill 2 old tagged does on his property and the challenges that they had killing them. He will be missed.

01-Jan-18
Sorry to hear of his passing. He will be missed by many.

01-Jan-18
I attended his seminars a couple of times at a local high school, followed by a wild game dinner. His photography was superb! Back in the film days, I remember seeing him in action taking photos at Avery's in the Town of Arietta in the NYS Adirondacks. He took photos there in their captive deer yard before he started his own operation near Bath, NY in the South Western portion of the state. I doubt that there has been a Deer & Deer hunting magazine without one or many of his photos since he started there!

He was a disciple of Jesus Christ and spoke eloquently about his faith. He also survived a high speed head on collision (old person was going the wrong way on I-88, a 4 lane road) and spoke that he "could have become a great spokesman for airbags" which saved his life.

He also wrote about Lyme disease. He was sure that he had never been bitten by a tick and thought it was mosquito or black fly transmitted. His disease was preventing him from focusing his camera (manual focus back then!) as well as other physical ailments. A fellow outdoor writer from PA clued him in and Charlie traveled to PA to the Dr. that the other writers wife had gone to. Meds cured him.

He is now at rest with the Lord. Many bucks are safe now and I'm sure his photo & writing legacy will live on....

01-Jan-18

Full_Curl's embedded Photo
Full_Curl's embedded Photo
He was a true gem and will be missed by many. I learned a lot about deer and life from him... RIP Charlie. God bless.

02-Jan-18
When Charlie talked about God and Country at his seminars you'd be hard pressed to find a dry eye in the place.... and most were grown men. Prayers to his family who he always talked lovingly about...God Bless.

02-Jan-18
Great guy, so sad.

02-Jan-18

Full_Curl's Link
Full obituary.

02-Jan-18
As it is truly worth repeating Charlie Alsheimer was one of the very, very VERY few deer hunting writers that ACTUALLY wrote articles worth reading. Was my personal favorite and I not only respected him but I really did admire him. Quite simply put with his passing, there is almost no one left worth reading their articles. I started reading D&DH because of him and have maintained a continues subscription for over 20 years because of his articles. I liked and respected him after reading but one of his articles in my first issue of D&DH because #1-it made sense to me and #2-he never tried to sell me some new wiz-bang gizmo, only good sound advice. He was the reason I subscribed to D&DH in the first place. Been working 80 hrs a week for the last two months to cover some extra auto repair costs and my son had surgery on his ACL so I haven't been able to read my last three copies of D&DH, so this is sad news to me. We lost a true great of hunting knowledge and a real statesman of hunting ethics. RIP Charlie. Deer hunting community will never be the same.

02-Jan-18
I was very bummed I found this out. Great guy, and a fantastic photographer..... The greatest legacy he has is that he used his talents and platform to spread the good news of Jesus Christ. I look forward to chatting with him some day soon!

02-Jan-18
May God shower His grace upon the Alsheimer family at this time Charlie was a wonderful writer, photographer, and person.

02-Jan-18
One of the most knowledgeable authors on whitetail deer! I do not think there are many left like him out there! Thank you for shar8ng your life’s work with us, we have all benefited from your experience!

• Sitka Gear