Ned 31-Dec-17
WapitiBob 31-Dec-17
Fuzz 01-Jan-18
Drop tine 01-Jan-18
Genesis 01-Jan-18
OFFHNTN 02-Jan-18
Gator 02-Jan-18
31-Dec-17
Not wanting to hijack a recent thread I'm in need of advice with a back tension release.... I am looking to improve my shooting accuracy and cure a mild case of occasional target panic. I have no experience with them and could use info for a starting point.

What style and/or brand? Wrist strap or no? And why? Recommend any literature?

Thank you! FUZZ

31-Dec-17
I am not sure how long I suffered from mild/occasional target panic but I do know that it went out of control about 7 years ago. I got to a point where I wouldn't shoot with my buddies. Heck, I couldn't even draw my bow back without dumping the arrow. It was crazy and I was just about to throw the bow away. I know it cost me some fine animals.

I bought Idiot Proof Archery by Bernie Pellerite. There are many good books but this is the one I bought and it helped me. I would send it to you but I gave it to someone else a couple of years ago.

After reading the book I bought a hinge release (Scott Longhorn Hex). There are many good releases out there so check around. Ideally you could go to your local archery shop and shoot a couple or ask some of the guys that already are shooting a hinge at the range. I spent an entire winter shooting 3-10 yards in my basement learning back tension and developing a shot sequence.

Keep in mind that you can shoot a trigger release using back tension but for me I cannot. A lot of people will call a hinge release a back tension release. Some trigger releases have a hinge/hook like the short n sweet. Others here will give good recommendations.

Today I shoot with confidence knowing my arrow will hit the mark. Good luck. You are on the right path.

31-Dec-17
I use the Silverback which is made by Carter and sold by John Dudley. It's helped me a lot with target panic. check out his channel, he has lots of helpful info. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvKy1KTll5E

31-Dec-17
"I am looking to improve my shooting accuracy and cure a mild case of occasional target panic."

Ha! That's like a woman asking for a cure for a mild case of occasional pregnancy. You either is, or you isn't.;-)

To hitchhike on what Butternut posted, I also highly recommend Bernie Pellerite's book "Idiot Proof Archery". A release is only part of the equation. Unless you develop a proper shot sequence, it doesn't matter what type release you use...you'll struggle. The easiest way to keep the TP demon at bay is to execute a surprise release. You didn't develop TP overnight, and you certainly won't learn to control it overnight. By following Bernie's program for 5 weeks with a Carter Backstrap release, I went from suffering with a 20yr long world-class case of TP, to being able to float my pin on the spot I wanted to hit until the release fired. In other words, I went from HOPING I would hit somewhere in the vacinity, to KNOWING I would hit the spot I wanted. Life became good again. Instead of dreading shooting, it once again became fun! You just have to dedicate the time, blood, sweat, and tears in order to overcome TP.

I was never comfortable shooting a hinge, but because of following Bernie's program, I'm able to execute a surprise release with my index-finger release (Carter RX-1). I don't squeeze the trigger. Once I'm settled in at full draw, I simply start to slowly pull my release arm straight to the rear. Within 2-3 seconds, the release fires. When someone says "backtension release", it's kinda misleading. You need to maintain backtension regardless of which type release you use.

Word of caution. Regardless of which style release you choose, invest in one that's high quality! You don't want to feel ANY perceived movement of the trigger. You want it to break like glass. If you feel movement, you'll anticipate the shot. Anticipating the shot is a sure-fire way of inviting TP to rear it's ugly head! Good luck!

31-Dec-17
I agree with bb. Watch every video and listen to every podcast you can by John dudley. He's the best in the game and flies around the world coaching archery.

31-Dec-17
Lots of good advice here I would only add its probably going to take longer than you think to fix target panic. notice I said fix not cure target panic. Every spring I have to reinforce my shot sequence . and relearn to not anticipate the release. Recently I started using an increasing tension release( Carter Attraction) and prefer it over the hinge releases I used in the past. You can cheat with a hinge release ( twist or unequal finger pressure) and make it fire when you want it to, not a surprise, I have my increasing tension release set about 3-5 lbs above my holding weight and haven't found a way to cheat. You have to pull that 3 to 5 lbs for it to fire. I find the increasing tension release works better than a hinge for me. Good Luck its a lot of work but worth it, Ron

31-Dec-17
I will say this about Pellerite. It worked for me for a while, I used his release and it worked until I discovered a way to beat the release and punch it. Anything with a trigger or needs to be manipulated to fire (hinge) I "punch" remove the trigger and i'm fine. It's a work in progress for me.

31-Dec-17
bb I have tbe same problem. I compared Pellerite and his methods with Larry Wise and his core archery methods and found them to be about the same. I did find the increasing tension release kept me honest. If you find a way to beat it please dont tell me. LOL Ron

31-Dec-17
I can beat it but it requires I just yank it, ask me how I discovered that. I'm using the silverback and it has been an incredible game changer for me I also have the exact same version but it has a thumb trigger, I was able to fire that one for a while with just back tension now I punch the trigger. When the weather gets warmer I have to spend time to work on that. The release that only fires by increasing tension is perfect for me.

31-Dec-17
Take a look at John Dudley's nock to it release. http://www.nockonarchery.com/archery-gear/89-nock-on-custom-release.html It's a thumb release. Since I have been using it I had zero problems. Also, look it up on YouTube. He has some good videos on it.

31-Dec-17
Can you guys speak to your accuracy with the thumb release vs index? I haven’t had TP issues but am considering these for increased accuracy.

31-Dec-17
I don't think it makes much difference in terms of accuracy if you can fire both by using back tension rather than depressing the trigger with your finger. most of the thumb releases have a crisp trigger break where there is no perception of movement which is key. some trigger releases are like that some have a lot of movement before the release fires. I think it's easier to fire a thumb trigger release using back tension rather than an index finger release but whichever you use the key to accuracy is making it fire by increasing tension rather than depressing the trigger.

31-Dec-17
Ucsdryder, If you are fighting Target Panic You are teaching yourself to wait for something to happen as opposed to making it happen. For certain personalities giving up control is very hard to do. So the less sensitive the better for accuracy. The index release is the most sensitive (easiest to anticipate) the Thumb release is less sensitive than the index followed by the pinky release being less sesitive than the thumb. Probably the best results would come from a release that you pushed a button to activate and sometime in the next 10 secs or so it will fire. but it is too expensive to market and is still in development stages. I think we will see that in the future. Ron

31-Dec-17
Thanks very much for all the great ideas and advice. I said "occasional" TP because when shooting, about every 10th arrow I perform a helluva "yip". The guys I shoot with all get a big kick out of it. They always tell me "let down and start over!!" My reply is always "Nope! I gotta own it!" and keep holding until I shoot. Horrible I know, but it's become a running joke.

It used to be much worse but started shooting a lot better after using a slow steady squeeze and better quality release. I just want "next level" accuracy to increase my confidence. An African and/or moose hunt are becoming a real possibility in the next 2 years and I want nothing to take away from the experiences.

Thanks again, your advice is greatly appreciated!

31-Dec-17
I had terrible TP as well. Go buy a tension release like a Stan Element, or Carter Evolution or Silverback. Take your sight off and just work on pulling through your shot on a blank bale...follow John Dudley closely! I wish I would of discovered him and tension releases 30 yrs ago...

31-Dec-17
"Probably the best results would come from a release that you pushed a button to activate and sometime in the next 10 secs or so it will fire."

...and the timing of the release would vary with every shot so you could never anticipate it.

31-Dec-17
We really are our worst enemies. Concentrate on the process and not the results and you are on the right track.

31-Dec-17
Bernie also sells back tension releases, and a trigger release that can only be fired using back tension that you can train your mind with, then switch to a regular release if you desire. I just shoot and hunt with the trigger release he sells.

31-Dec-17
Scott bought the patent for a new electronic release a cpl years ago.

01-Jan-18
Thanks again for the tips! I will take everything into consideration!

01-Jan-18
Another vote for John Dudley and the Carter Evolution. Follow his stuff, use the release and follow the process. Makes a huge difference. I used the get the occasional yip and anxiety as I lined up and didn't know what was going on. Almost gave up shooting because it destroyed the fun of shooting.

01-Jan-18
Glad I worked at shooting my trigger with back tension.....yip free for 15 years

02-Jan-18
Fuzz, look at the TruBall Sweet Spot for a first hinge (back tension) release as it has a safety feature on it.

Now would be a great time to learn and get over your TP as most hunting seasons are over. Put all your other releases away, get a hinge (back tension) release, stand 4 feet from a target and shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot, close your eyes and shoot. There are several ways you can shoot a hinge and get a surprise release, find the one the works best for you. Good luck!

02-Jan-18
Another vote for the silverback. So much to be gained by showing back tension is not that difficult to learn. I experimented with different releases some helped some didn't before trying the sliverback.

• Sitka Gear