Bow Crazy 05-Jan-18
hooch08 05-Jan-18
hooch08 05-Jan-18
skipmaster1 05-Jan-18
Lee 06-Jan-18
04-Jan-18

hooch08's embedded Photo
hooch08's embedded Photo
Background : Both deer bow killed in Tx Hill country. Deer 1 8pt with broken/healed front leg guessed 3yrs old on hoof. Deer 2 10PT guessed 4yrs old on hoof.

04-Jan-18
www.deerage.com

If you want the correct age it’s a great service. They’re in TX too:)

04-Jan-18

midwest's Link
deerage.com

...at my link

04-Jan-18
I can. It's not an exact science, is pretty accurate to 4.5 yrs old. Take some photos, close as you can with all the teeth, straight down, both sides with the inside (tongue side) most important. My email is [email protected] BC

04-Jan-18
Charlie and I typing at the same time!

04-Jan-18

hooch08's embedded Photo
hooch08's embedded Photo

04-Jan-18

hooch08's embedded Photo
hooch08's embedded Photo
Deer 1....thinking he'S slightly older than my original guess of 3.5

04-Jan-18

hooch08's embedded Photo
hooch08's embedded Photo
Deer 2

04-Jan-18

hooch08's embedded Photo
hooch08's embedded Photo
The 2 skulls side by side....never killed a deer missing teeth.

04-Jan-18
You will be lucky to guess the age of deer one. It's quite old, but the missing teeth affect wear.

I'd guess 8 plus. Send in the front teeth. It's pretty cheap and then you know.

Guess for 2 is 4.5.

04-Jan-18
I agree with LKH.

Send em both in. It's always interesting seeing the results.

04-Jan-18
Agree with above. Deer 1 has excessive wear. He's old.

Send them in. Well worth it imo

05-Jan-18
It`s hard from those photos as you need to look straight down on the bottom teeth. What you`re looking for is the dark brown and black line in the molars...along with the general tooth condition. As the deer ages these colored areas change in size in the tooth and teeth will appear flatter and less "sharp" so to speak. There are some various photos that can help you out. These are rough guesses as diet can effect it but not much.

05-Jan-18
I took a credited course in college on deer aging jaw bones. As others said, its not an exact science. I've aged a lot of jaws mostly in that course and its a way to get a rough age but the cementum is the for sure way to go.

05-Jan-18
One is very old - 6.5+ - probably 8+ but the missing teeth might be causing more wear and two is 3.5 - 4.5. That being said it isn't an exact science - use Charlie's source if you want to know for sure.

Lee

05-Jan-18
I think Lee's nailed the ages (or is darned close). Deer #1 - I'd say is 'minimum' of 6.5 (possibly older) , while I'd say #2 isn't more than 3.5.

What part of TX did you take them?

05-Jan-18

Jack Harris's embedded Photo
Jack Harris's embedded Photo
53 years old. Could use some whitener, and a little chipped up from cutting fishing line.

05-Jan-18
Deer #1 - much older than 6.5 yrs old. I age a lot of teeth and rarely see teeth like this. You are looking at 9 years, if not older than 10. When you see the first molar, fourth tooth from the end (oldest tooth in the mouth), wore down to the bone you are looking at a rare deer. Send that one in for sure. That's pretty special.

Deer #2 - can you take a photo, straight down? From what I'm seeing it looks like a solid 4.5 yr old. Could be a 5.5 yr old. A better photo and I might change my mind.

Good stuff, thanks for posting. BC

05-Jan-18
Problem is I don't have any incisors on deer 1...either lost them or came out during boiling. I posted because I've never seen teeth this worn, and suspect he might not have made it another year (did you notice 3rd molar abcessed through the bone....bet that was comfortable ). I think I'm pretty decent at aging on the hoof, but I was waaaay off on this one. Looking at the picture, he does have a fair bit of grey, but no roman nose. Body wise, no loose skin or hanging belly. He did have a broken right leg, which had healed...and ultimately the reason I decided to take him.

05-Jan-18

hooch08's embedded Photo
hooch08's embedded Photo
Problem is I don't have any incisors on deer 1...either lost them or came out during boiling. I posted because I've never seen teeth this worn, and suspect he might not have made it another year (did you notice 3rd molar abcessed through the bone....bet that was comfortable ). I think I'm pretty decent at aging on the hoof, but I was waaaay off on this one. Looking at the picture, he does have a fair bit of grey, but no roman nose. Body wise, no loose skin or hanging belly. He did have a broken right leg, which had healed...and ultimately the reason I decided to take him.

05-Jan-18
Deerage.com can age molars too

06-Jan-18
He is EXCEEDINLY old! I said 6.5+ earlier as he is no doubt mature. Oldest deer I have had aged - I use Matsons Lab out of Montana - was 14.5 and she did not have that much wear! Be interesting to see how old he was! Lee

• Sitka Gear