YZF-88 05-Jan-18
ELKMAN 05-Jan-18
Bowboy 05-Jan-18
Nolan McDonald 05-Jan-18
YZF-88 05-Jan-18
BULELK1 06-Jan-18
Bowboy 06-Jan-18
04-Jan-18
Thinking of hunting the Wasatch area for mule deer does anyone have any suggestions.

04-Jan-18
I hunted the front near Sandy/Draper back when I lived in Utah. Saw plenty of deer and a few nice bucks, but expect plenty of company if you are anywhere near SLC. Also, I'd suggest doing more spotting/planning instead of hiking, especially once you find a deer you want to stalk. The oak brush gets really thick and you need to plan carefully to avoid getting stuck without a visual in a sea of 7 foot high tangled mess.

05-Jan-18
You'll see plenty of people anywhere along the front. Its a very popular hunt and just part of the deal. If you want to see entertainment, checkout all the trucks and spotters in the canyons mid-November. Some good bucks are around. Glass enough and you'll find something to chase and have a good time.

05-Jan-18
Get in shape

05-Jan-18
The Wasatch is a good hunt just get away from the others hunters and you'll be fine. I've seen some monsters pushing way over 200. Like stated the oak brush is an obstacle at times.

05-Jan-18
Doc, are you thinking general season (late August to mid September) or extended archery (September to November 30) rut hunt? The late hunt will be frustrating if you are not familiar with the area. There are no areas to camp close to the hunting unless you put on a backpack and camp on the mountain and it is extremely cold in November. In August-September backpacking is the best way to hunt because its a long steep hike to the higher and better hunting. Deer numbers continue to decline every year, due to lots of mountain lions, we see tracks on most hikes and my friends son has several pictures on his trail cameras. There are some huge bucks, but its a tough hunt.

05-Jan-18
I will caution you on camping during the early season and thinking you'll have the place to yourself. Weekdays are your friend...especially if weather is iffy. Really cuts down on the pressure. Not trying to be negative. The hunting can be good. Just don't want you to be surprised.

Like someone else said, get in shape. It ups your odds a little. Especially if your finding them higher than normal due to pressure (like around 10k-11.5K)

06-Jan-18
Hey Doc you are getting some very honest intel already.

If ya could make 2 trips would be really good for you and might even increase your success.

Maybe a trip in late August, something like a Sunday--Sunday weekday hunting. If ya camp, there are some nice campgrounds with in the WF area.

If ya bushwack camp/bivy out then beAWARE we have som 'uge rattlesnakes on the mountain.

Come back in Mid- November same gig Sunday---Sunday and hit the Mid-week as most are @ work. Hotel it instead of camping.

Good luck, Robb

06-Jan-18
Also those late hunts can get some serious snow. Like stated the week days are the best times to hunt.

• Sitka Gear