Pat Lefemine 13-Jan-18
Pat Lefemine 13-Jan-18
dm/wolfskin 14-Jan-18
JTV 14-Jan-18
Pat Lefemine 14-Jan-18
Ksgobbler 14-Jan-18
06-Jan-18

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
I’m shooting a custom build AR in .204 Ruger.
I’m shooting a custom build AR in .204 Ruger.
Matt is shooting a Ruger precision rifle in 6.5 creedmore.
Matt is shooting a Ruger precision rifle in 6.5 creedmore.
Last couple years we ran a thread from our annual Kansas predator hunt. Most people seemed to enjoy it so I’m going to post it again. It’s a rifle hunt so if this violates any rules the moderators can delete it.

We arrived this afternoon and made sure our rifles were dialed in. Both we’re dead on at 200. Tomorrow morning the killing begins.

06-Jan-18
Bring it!

06-Jan-18
May it never end !

06-Jan-18
Love this stuff

06-Jan-18
Rifle blah blah. Post it up!!!

06-Jan-18
Can wait to read this

06-Jan-18
Look foreword to it every year Pat . Thin um out !!

06-Jan-18
“It’s a rifle hunt, so if this violates any rules the moderators can delete it”. Yeah, right! I think Charlie is still concentrating on killing deer, so I think you’re ok there!

How many days are you guys hunting? Do you use mouth calls or electronics?

06-Jan-18
Do the moderators have to check with the boss before deleting it? ;-)

Love this annual thread.

06-Jan-18
Shoot’em up guys...

06-Jan-18
You're getting warmer weather at least after the deep freeze. Where about you all going to be?

06-Jan-18
Huh. Who'da thunk. Traveling to KS in January to get out of the cold???

Have a great hunt, whack-a-yote.... will be following for sure.....

07-Jan-18
Hope you get a pile of them. Good luck! Can't wait to see some pics.

07-Jan-18
T-Roy, here for a week. We’re using all Foxpro calls. A shockwave e-caller with decoy, mouth calls, and diaphragms.

We’re in Comanche county, same place we deer hunt except we have permission on lots more ground. About 40k acres.

I’m also going to video some of my sons kills. He’s gonna hog all the shots anyway so it gives me something to do!

07-Jan-18
What weight and type of bullets are you each shooting?

07-Jan-18
We could use some dead ones, they are running the deer out on the ice and killing them.

07-Jan-18

First set called 3 and we each got one. Good start!

Steve, Matt is shooting 140 and I’m shooting 32

07-Jan-18
good shootin' .. 2 out of 3 aint bad ..

07-Jan-18
Good job. I have a farm in MO you can try.

07-Jan-18
Great stuff. Cant wait to see some video footage.

07-Jan-18
Kill em all good luck guys Lewis

07-Jan-18
Nice!!

07-Jan-18
Those 140 gr 6.5 creedmoor bullets pack enough punch to drop anything up to an elk easily. I shot my giant mule deer last year with the Hornady 129 gr SST and it knocked him over at 370 yds.

07-Jan-18

Matt just got his first ever with mouth calls. Called two, killed one.

07-Jan-18
Make 'em bleed !

07-Jan-18
That looks like prime yote country.

07-Jan-18
If I hadn’t already bought my .308 the Creedmore definitely would have been bought. Great round.

07-Jan-18
That 6.5 Creedmoor is a hell of a round....

07-Jan-18
Good job guys, predator control is essential to game management.

07-Jan-18
Slow afternoon. Only called one in and both Kent and I mmmmmissed

08-Jan-18
They wise up quick don't they?

08-Jan-18
Sweeeet!

Congrats guys and keep it coming!

Mark

08-Jan-18
Went pheasant hunting yesterday and ran one out of a patch that looked nearly jet black. Will be trying to call him and his buddies in soon. Keep up the good work!

08-Jan-18
MMMMMMISSED ??? Hell! I ain't ever missed a coyote !

Much :-)

08-Jan-18
Have you guys seen any carrying a piece of deer in their mouth?

08-Jan-18
Remind me please? Is Matt the famous tracker?? lol

08-Jan-18
Yes, Matt is the one from The tracking video. He’s 20 now.

Tom, we hunted Woolfolk’s creek this morning. I kept an eye out but no sign of your buck.

08-Jan-18
We called a bunch of spots but they are not calling today. They are being difficult.

08-Jan-18
Keep up the killin. Your not far from me. I am from the SW part of Pratt Co. I have never seen so many yotes as I have this year around the house

08-Jan-18
“”. It’s a rifle hunt so if this violates any rules the moderators can delete it.”” Pat F.

Does the site owner have sense of humor or what! <<<<<~~~~~>

08-Jan-18

Warning. Offensive photo! Matt and I split up. He called in one and dusted it. I got skunked. Rough day, nothing was responding.

08-Jan-18
The last one Matt killed when you two split up looks extremely pale colored in the pic. Is it light colored or just looks that way in the pics? Do you guys do anything with them?

09-Jan-18
Well it looks like Matt's last dog died with a smile on his face! FWIW.

09-Jan-18
Come on Pat, make their eyes pop out, I really like those photos. ;)

09-Jan-18
It’s been terrible. We called a dozen of our best spots- zero. For the afternoon We split up. Matt called one in. I saw nothing. Bad weather moving in next two days, 50 mph wind gusts. Rough,

09-Jan-18
Pat. Do you think there are as many yotes out there as there were since the fires went through? I used to hunt deer around Ashland and there don't seem to be the numbers there were pre fire.

09-Jan-18
Yes, there are tons of coyotes here. They’re just not in the mood.

10-Jan-18
Ugly headshot by Matt. Not sure I should post.

Just killed a double.

10-Jan-18
Don't be silly, of course you should post it.

10-Jan-18
With what you've posted in the past I can't imagine what that head shot must look like.

10-Jan-18
Pat,

Since you have been doing this for a number of years do the owners think you have reduced the numbers? Any positive impact on fawn survival rates in their opinion?

10-Jan-18

Matt’s headshot coyote
Matt’s headshot coyote
Here’s a pic, not too obnoxious

10-Jan-18
That coyote has the “Oprah Winfrey” look going on.

10-Jan-18
he sees a mouse, very hungry.

10-Jan-18
Looks like a fun time!

10-Jan-18
I'd run the more graphic pics by a mod first, just to make sure.....

Too cool... How many more hunts left?

10-Jan-18

Here’s mine

10-Jan-18

We’re at 7 count right now. Our record is 14. Got a ways to go.

11-Jan-18
Nice! Keep at it boys. I hope that you are skinning those. Those pale yotes should be worth something. Is trapper Bob around?

11-Jan-18

Last minute coyote
Last minute coyote
Can’t believe I found the decoy topper after the owl flew away with it!
Can’t believe I found the decoy topper after the owl flew away with it!
Today was a write off, until the last few minutes of the day.

Weather was horrible. Cold front moved in overnight and that brought 30mph sustained winds and 50-60mph wind gusts.

However we called that late afternoon and the winds died down at the last minutes of shooting light. A coyote came in and Matt smoked it.

But the best part of the hunt wasn't the kill. An owl landed next to us. He watched us for 5 minutes, then he flew out and attacked my Foxpro caller and took the decoy topper off the cable and flew away with it. I watched him fly 200 yards and land in a cedar tree. When Matt grabbed his coyote I walked out to the tree and my decoy topper was laying on a cedar branch. Not the tasty snack he thought he had captured! We got a great laugh off that.

11-Jan-18
Dang great job,,,I'm sure y'all can up that record!

13-Jan-18

Our only dog all day Friday.
Our only dog all day Friday.
Our trip is over and it was a little rough, but we had a good finish. I'll try and catch you up.

After the horrible winds and cold weather it turned cold and still and Friday. Perfect. But we only called in one and I shot him at 120 yards.

13-Jan-18

Good start. Called in two and dropped the 2nd at 120 yards.
Good start. Called in two and dropped the 2nd at 120 yards.
We were hoping to beat our 2017 record of 14. We were far short at 9 when we started Saturday's hunt. I dropped Matt off at the Canyon's where he was going to call and still-hunt his way across the 5k acres. I took the truck to do a bunch of short sets close to the road. On my first hunt I called in a coyote but he walked in front of me at 30 yards and there was zero wind and I couldn't move. He turned and left. I then switched from a jackrabbit distress call to a pup distress call and a different coyote ran in which I dropped in his tracks.

13-Jan-18

Yesterday this 400lb calf was intact. Coyotes consumed 200lbs overnight. Unreal!
Yesterday this 400lb calf was intact. Coyotes consumed 200lbs overnight. Unreal!
Despite being a tricky shot at 150 yards My .204 Ruger round was on the money and the coyote never even flinched when I dropped him off the calf he was eating.
Despite being a tricky shot at 150 yards My .204 Ruger round was on the money and the coyote never even flinched when I dropped him off the calf he was eating.
My next stop was unsuccessful. I decided to try and stalk a dead calf that was put out the previous day. I had scouted it out and there was a fresh 400lb calf dropped off by Kent. A coyote had found it yesterday and part of his leg was missing. So even though it was daylight, I carefully worked the wind and stalked the calf. As I got into position I pulled up my AR15 and there was a coyote tearing into it. The shot was 150 yards and all I could see was the top half of the coyote. But that was enough. I dropped him on the spot. When I walked up to the calf I was blown away. In just one night half of it was gone. 200lbs!! These coyotes are unreal.

13-Jan-18

Matt with our pile of coyotes from the week. We shot very well, but the coyotes were not responding as well to calls as they had in the past.
Matt with our pile of coyotes from the week. We shot very well, but the coyotes were not responding as well to calls as they had in the past.
When I got back to the truck Matt had texted me that he killed his 7th coyote of the trip. That put us at 12, just two shy of our 2017 record of 14. I did two more sets but no more dogs were called.

So we ended up the hunt with 12 coyotes. Not bad, not great. We were shooting very well, but we've called in a lot more coyotes in the past and missed a bunch. This trip we called in far less, but our shooting was excellent. I think we ended up with an 80% kill/shot rate.

13-Jan-18

If Enterprise only knew how we used their F150 Rental Pickup!
If Enterprise only knew how we used their F150 Rental Pickup!
Matt took an 850 yard shot and hit inside a pie plate with his new 6.5 Creedmore. Impressive.
Matt took an 850 yard shot and hit inside a pie plate with his new 6.5 Creedmore. Impressive.
Matt has been dying to try out his new Ruger Precision rifle in 6.5 Creedmore on long distance. I must admit I was skeptical when he took an 850 yard shot at a distant cut bank. He runs this ballistic shooting app off his phone called shooter and had to adjust his Vortex scope based on what the app recommended. Damnit if he didn't hit the dark spot on that bank dead on. I tried it and was off by less than a foot. That is one hell of a rifle and a long distance round. That was the longest shot I have ever taken. Prior to that I hit a Prairie Dog at 600 yards, but that was after 5 boxes of shells!

Great fun. Next to bowhunting there is little I like more than calling predators and killing coyotes. It's never a slam-dunk. I think we averaged about 1 out of 8 sets. We've had some years where we called 1/3 so this was a tough week.

14-Jan-18
Good stuff Pat.

14-Jan-18
What calls are you using on the electronic caller... rabbit or 'yote ?? .. which ones to be exact ...howls, challenges, Jack bunnies or cottontails ??

I still havnt went out (damn work obligations), this would have been a great morning... dead calm, 2 degrees, frosty with 1 inch of snow back down .... calls would travel great this AM ....drats ...

14-Jan-18
We tried everything but my goto call is called jackrabbit frenzy. All our dogs were killed on that clip except my last one which came in on a pup distress. It’s a custom clip that I load onto my foxpro.

14-Jan-18
Nearly all th coyotes we have shot this year have come to a pup in distress call. It’s rare for us to use any prey calls.

• Sitka Gear