Jaquomo 08-Jan-18
LKH 08-Jan-18
Bowfreak 08-Jan-18
otcWill 08-Jan-18
Glunker 08-Jan-18
Bob 08-Jan-18
Jaquomo 08-Jan-18
08-Jan-18
Got my Outdoor Adventures Catalog today- list of hunts around the world and costs. Had to laugh. In 1968-69 was guiding antelope hunters on what is a premiere ranch today. We charged $230 a day for a rifle hunt. Very few hunters needed a second day. What a difference a few decades make.

08-Jan-18
No doubt about it Bowriter inflation is very real and the price keeps spiraling upward. With most hunts the longer you wait the more they will cost. I think inflation is one of the most overlooked factors when people plan for retirement as well. Cheers!

08-Jan-18
The price of gas and milk is higher too.

08-Jan-18
You can almost bank on 3% average each year.

08-Jan-18
What does an antelope hunt go for now?

230 for 7 days is still $1600

08-Jan-18
I think $230 a day for an antelope hunt in 68 is high. I went on a 2 day rifle antelope hunt in 1984 in Wyoming for $450, the license cost $25. A lot of guided antelope hunts that I see in Wyoming today are $2500 plus a $375 license. I was working in a factory making $24,000 a year. I would need to be making $150,000 today to be the same.

08-Jan-18
+1 Pyrannah. It's almost $1,700 a day.

Guess the good old days where the same as the good new days.

08-Jan-18
Sage Buffalo, yep. $230 a day in 1968 was the equivalent of $1,580 a day today. I don't know of anyplace that charges anywhere near that for antelope now. You can go on a hell of a guided elk hunt for that. So despite what some whiners say, it's actually cheaper to hunt today than back in the "good old days".

08-Jan-18
You can blame it all on SEX. There is far to much sex going on and as a side effect, way too many rugrats. Rugrats grow up eventually and become hunters. Too many hunters places excess demand on the hunts available.

Then the capitalists find out about the excess demand and there go the cheap hunts.

I'm still going back and forth on whether I want to blame SEX or the capitalists.

08-Jan-18
Sounds to me like deflation. I wouldn't pay $230/day to antelope hunt now.

08-Jan-18
I wouldn't pay anything to hunt lopes aside from tag cost. Landowners generally couldn't care less about them. I've yet to meet a landowner that hunts them and better than half I've talked with have said "have at it".

08-Jan-18
What caught my attention is a $19000 moose hunt. A big part of the problem is hunters willing to pay that amount. Not worth 3 elk hunts. The Canadian that I think shot a world record grizzly years ago. What struck me was he something like 10 grizzly, brown bear hunt that he botched until the last one and he gets a WR. Correct me if my memory fails me. From what I read he needed more than a guide to get a bear. A guy like that is buying so many hunts the cost goes up for everyone.

08-Jan-18
Bowfreak I'am pretty sure the deflation happens after the sex.

08-Jan-18
SMH. The prices aren't going up relative to the Average Wage Index and inflation. That $19,000 moose hunt is the same as a $3000 moose hunt in 1969, which is about what a top end moose hunt cost back then.

Thing may change when we have 30% fewer hunters to pay for hunts. The number of hunters in the US peaked in 1971 and had been steadily decreasing. But more Boomers with disposable income are willing to pay for hunts now. In 20 years guys may be on hunting forums complaining about how moose hunts used to be cheap at $19,000, how a CO NR elk tag was less than $700, and how "expensive" hunting has become.

• Sitka Gear