greenmountain 14-Jan-18
hawkeye in PA 14-Jan-18
Zbone 21-Jan-18
texbow2 21-Jan-18
XMan 22-Jan-18
XMan 22-Jan-18
XMan 22-Jan-18
09-Jan-18
So I had a normal buck last year he was a little feller, nothing special and this year he was close to 130 but he never shed his velvet, he's like 3 1/2 this year and not a bad deer. He looked amazing until about a month ago he had a doe and was forced to fight for her and his velvet got messed up and he was bleeding pretty bad. I lost sight of him and thought he might have bled to death. My neighbor however has pics of him and he broke his main beam in half, its a bloody stump now, he seems ok but will he shed his antlers? He did not grow progressively bigger throughout the year, but his antlers are still alive or the velvet it. I know that is caused by a testicle injury. just curious what say you guys.

09-Jan-18
That would be my guess as well. Prob got his nuts caught on something. Glad I don't hop over fences naked

09-Jan-18
Grunter, especially as we get older gravity tends to take charge. Do you think he will shed them or they will just start to grow again?

09-Jan-18
Isn’t antler drop triggered by decreasing testosterone levels? If one or both of his man berries are hanging on a fence somewhere, his t- levels must be way out of whack.

09-Jan-18
If i can kill him next year Ill let you know what i find.

09-Jan-18
If he lost his nutz, my guess his rack will still keep growing with age regardless if broken... Seems strange if he did loose his nutz, he'd be fighting over a doe...

09-Jan-18
If i can kill him next year Ill let you know what i find.

09-Jan-18
Zbone, he just lost his nuts, not his mind ! :-)

09-Jan-18

Surfbow's embedded Photo
Surfbow's embedded Photo
There's one neighborhood that doesn't lose his velvet, odd little guy for sure...

09-Jan-18
It’s a transgender so it’s off limits.

Be Careful€:>

09-Jan-18
Surfbow - You sure that ain't a muley doe... Read somewhere once where most antlered does stay in velvet year round...

09-Jan-18

MDcrazyman's embedded Photo
here are pics after broke.

09-Jan-18

09-Jan-18

09-Jan-18
These were as of 6 jan 2018

09-Jan-18

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Nutless wonders.

09-Jan-18

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
The deer that is. Haha. Both of these had no sack. They just keep growing and never shed.

10-Jan-18
They're in CA, there's your answer, not surprised... ;)

10-Jan-18
I have a velvet shed antler.... so I say yes it will shed.

10-Jan-18
DL - I've seen one buck like that in 30+ years of hunting and he was a little guy. That is amazing you shot two! Pretty rare I am sure.

Lee

10-Jan-18
Unlike the ones DL showed, he did stop growing and has stayed the same. thanks for input.

10-Jan-18

Surfbow's embedded Photo
Surfbow's embedded Photo
The one I saw could be a doe, here's a pic of "it" the next year...

10-Jan-18
Time will tell, but due to his/her hormonal imbalance, it would think he would NOT shed his rack. I killed a "pseudo hermaphrodite" WT about 15 years ago and that deer had never shed it's antlers. Wildlife biologist told me the occurence was 1/100,00 at that time. It will be cool for you to follow him to see what he does.

10-Jan-18
He was normal and shed last year, something happened from shed time. It will be interesting for sure.

10-Jan-18
GBTG - Can you take a picture of the velvet shed and post it, I'd like to see that, especially the pedicle...

11-Jan-18
Just had a big non- typical that was shot and was in full velvet during Wisc. gun season. Did a necropsy and his nuts were up inside of him....never descended but still caused the condition.

14-Jan-18
I've seen two that never shed. I was told they are called "stags"?

14-Jan-18
I guess we have a lot of stags in congress based on progress of this decade.

14-Jan-18
In 2010 I arrowed a nice high 7 point whitetail buck in our firearms season in full velvet. When I made some phone calls I was informed that it is rare but not unheard of. Although the first question was is it a female deer. The surprising part is I live in a hard hunted area and no one had seen him all season.

21-Jan-18
GBTG - Received the pix, thanks.... Curious what month did you find the velvet shed... Very unique...

21-Jan-18
We shoot several of these each year on our lease in central Texas. I talked to a biologist at a cwd check station and he said there is a certain plant they eat that can affect their hormones and cause testicles to shrink and antlers not to loose velvet. They don't rut and are usually the heaviest deer we shoot.

22-Jan-18
I have a buck just like this in IL, will share pics later. This buck was wounded last gun season and from what we can deduce from pics, the shot hit him in the leg and got his testicles. He didn’t shed this season and after a few fights he’s all broken up. I asked a biologist about this and he said no testosterone is the issue and survival rates now that he’s all broken up is extremely low. The antlers have open wounds and are prone to infection. He gave the deer a 10% chance of survival and mentioned the deer will not shed his antlers. I am hoping he survives and turns into a freak.

22-Jan-18

XMan's embedded Photo
Here he is broken up
XMan's embedded Photo
Here he is broken up

22-Jan-18

XMan's embedded Photo
Here he is in Nov, still in velvet.
XMan's embedded Photo
Here he is in Nov, still in velvet.
XMan's embedded Photo
Here he is in Dec with the first sign of fighting and damage to his rack.
XMan's embedded Photo
Here he is in Dec with the first sign of fighting and damage to his rack.

• Sitka Gear