WV Mountaineer 13-Jan-18
BIG BEAR 13-Jan-18
Shawn 13-Jan-18
BigOk 13-Jan-18
Knothead 14-Jan-18
TGbow 14-Jan-18
WV Mountaineer 14-Jan-18
10-Jan-18
Hey all, Thanks in advance for your responses. I am looking at getting new boots. On a bit of a budget but I am looking for a good all weather boot. I figure some insulation could be good for late season but not sure if it would be too hot for early season archery hunts. I was thinking about these three boots. Any thoughts or recommendations?

http://www.irishsetterboots.com/USD/product/hunting-boots/00880-elk-tracker-gtx-880 http://www.irishsetterboots.com/USD/product/hunting-boots/02888-9-tan-udry-400gr https://www.scheels.com/p/mens-crispi-west-river-gore-tex-hunting-boot/48900005581.html

Thanks, Drew

11-Jan-18
definitely look at Scarpas ready to go right out of the box.

11-Jan-18
LOL, budget and scarpa have no business being in same sentence.

Drew, you're gonna have to be more clear about what these boots are for. Early season rabbit, deer, elk, sheep... lots of seasons w/ an early part.

11-Jan-18
Those are all great choices. If I were buying a pair I would look at the Crispi's, Scarpa even Kenetreck (expensive) boots. Irish Setter is good too. The Elk Trackers are 10" tall which might make it harder to walk around. I would look for comfort and traction. Try stuff on at stores if you can.

12-Jan-18
tough to beat a pair of lowa tibets gtx

12-Jan-18
I got a pair of Lowa Caminos last year. By far the best boot I've owned. A great compromise between a heavy duty sheep boot and a lightweight hiker. Go to shoebuy.com and sign up for their email spam. They have 30% off sales all the time and you'll get them for around $200.

12-Jan-18
How do the sizes run on the lowas?

12-Jan-18
If you are on a budget I would definitely look at Sierra Trading. It's tough to beat Lowas and Scarpas. I've bought a number of $200 to $300+ Scarpas and Lowas over the years from Sierra Trading for around $100. That's a heck of a deal for some of the best boots available. I wear boots all winter for work here in Colo and have never bought insulated boots. I always buy mine a tad bigger so I can add insoles that work for my particular feet. You can likely find 20 to 30% discounts at Sierra and possibly other online shoe stores. I've never had a problem breaking in Scarpas or Lowas...but have super tough feet.

If I was going to buy 1 boot it would be something similar to Scarpa Kailash. I have a pair of Lowa Tibets that are taller and offer more ankle support but are a tad heavier in weight. If I hunt in deep snow I often use Tibets. I would have a tough time being quiet stalking game with stiff boots similar to Tibets. Lowa Renegades are super light and have quiet soles for stalking. On my Alaska sheep and mtn goat hunts I often use my Scarpas. If I was going to cover gobs of country or trying to be quiet/stealthy I might grab my Lowa Tibets. All round something similar to Lowa I bought a pair of Lowa Vantage about a year ago that I am anxious to try out that will replace my Scarpas...after they finally wear out. I make sure every pair I have has gortex!

With that said take a look at what ST and others have available!

13-Jan-18
It seems to me Sierra used to offer coupons above and beyond the already discounted prices. I’m not having any luck finding one now.

13-Jan-18
Get the Zamberlans and you will never look back. Either the Lynx for a ultra light easy boot, or the or the Guide GTX/Outfitter GTX for full blown mountain boot. Best boots on the planet. Second in line would be Crispi. You can find awesome deals on both if you pick your spots on camofire.com, and or blackovis.com

13-Jan-18
I’m trying the Crispi’s now, so far, so good...

13-Jan-18

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Pic of my Meindl boot. They are outstanding imo.

13-Jan-18
Oops I just assumed winter boots. Never mind.

13-Jan-18
An Insulated elktracker isn't the thing for running up and down mountains in warm weather. They work well in cool and cold weather though. I'd go 400 gram for colder use. I have two pairs I hunt in exclusively and they do great in cold weather. None leak. And, I'm pretty sure both will last a lifetime for just hunting. If you bought them uninsulated, I think you'd be really happy with them in the mountains. They are very comfortable and have a great sole for steep ground. Not excessively heavy either.

However, For the longest wearing, most rugged, warm, water proof boot I've ever owned, I prefer American made Chippewhia's. I've been cruising timber in a pair for 4 years now and they hardly show any wear on the sole's. A pair of the Irish setter elktracker's I used prior to these, lasted less than a year with everyday use. Lifetime warranty on the Chippewhia's too. They aren't cheap though so if you go this route, be prepared to spend quite a bit more money than buying the others.

13-Jan-18
How do they do lifetime warranty on boots ?? I'm sure they're not going to fix or replace boots because of normal wear.... Maybe if a seam split or something ???

What stores sell Lowas ?? I'd like to try on a pair....

13-Jan-18
I just bought my 3rd pair of Irish Setter Elk Trackers and they are a great boot. I have the ones with 1200 gram thinsulate. A buddy and I figured out years ago a boot with thinsulate can insulate against heat as well as cold. Never have an issue wearing mine in warm weather or cold. Great boot IMHO! Shawn

13-Jan-18
I love my 1000 gram Irish Setter boots. I agree with Shawn on how they work in both hot and cold.

13-Jan-18
Check out Crispi. I have a pair of their Summit GTX. Top rated boots!

14-Jan-18
Meindl is my new boot of choice. Most comfortable boot I have ever owned.

14-Jan-18
I just got a pair of Kamik Hunter boots with the liners. Can any of you Northern fellas tell me if it's best to wear thick or thin socks? I ordered them a half size up and they fit good butbI dont think I will be able to wear thick socks with them.

14-Jan-18
I have no idea Big Bear. However, when these wear out I intend to find out.

• Sitka Gear