stick n string 11-Jan-18
Too Many Bows Bob 11-Jan-18
12yards 11-Jan-18
LONEBULL 11-Jan-18
stick n string 11-Jan-18
Tim in Wyoming 11-Jan-18
Bowboy 11-Jan-18
11-Jan-18
I'm 60, right-handed and bowhunted with longbows and recurves for many years. I was diagnosed with low tension glaucoma in 1995 and finally lost all central vision in my right eye about 4 years ago. My left eye is going but is still hanging in there. I bought a lightweight Samick Sage lefty recurve and taught myself to shoot lefty. My accuracy is not what I'd like it to be for hunting and I also ended up with joint issues in both elbows. I did not bowhunt last Fall and miss it. I'm thinking of hunting elk with a lefty crossbow. Never even held one and I am wondering about what to look for in a set-up for chasing elk in Wyoming... poundage, bolts, style for carrying up and down the mountains all day, scopes. Any advice would be welcome and greatly appreciated.

11-Jan-18
I met a elderly guy this year who hunted elk with a Crossbow. It was a PIA to carry around the elk mountains. Made him very tired at night. That was the major challenge. Good Luck

11-Jan-18
Thanks, Charlie. I keep thinking about it but I can't picture myself effectively hunting the hills with one of them. Just wishful thinking, I guess.

11-Jan-18
There are some options that will make toting it around the mountains a lot easier. I would strongly consider the reverse bow systems like the Raven (though I do not like the scope mount), this will slim it down. Traditional Xbow strings when cocked take up a lot of real estate. I'd also look into a double shoulder sling. Wyoming requires a 20" bolt I believe, so thats something else to consider.

11-Jan-18
Thanks, OHIO. Here's the game and fish reg... "For the taking of any big or trophy game animal with a crossbow, a hunter shall use a crossbow having a peak draw weight of at least ninety (90) pounds and a bolt of at least sixteen (16) inches in length equipped with a fixed or expanding point broadhead that when fully expanded cannot pass through a seven eighths (7/8) inch solid ring." Probably not something I will end up pursuing at this time.

11-Jan-18

ohiohunter's Link
Oh, 16", that won't be a problem.

This is one of the ravens, its slick, but that scope mount looks like a recipe for disaster.

11-Jan-18
Quite a set-up!

11-Jan-18

SixLomaz's Link
Use a backpack for crossbow field carry. You will be much happier. See the above link. There are other options if you research.

11-Jan-18
Well I just had heart surgery and can not hunt, even though I have some recovery time left.... working on pulling the recurve and compound, but in the mean time I bought a cross bow...... I am in Wisconsin, you can find anything here.....

I shot the Excalibur, the Ten Point, Barnett, Raven etc,,,,, all of them were either too awkward, too heavy or too expensive......................

I bought a Parker Thunder Hawk,,,, for 650.00 a nice set up, quieter than the others, although the xbow is never going to be real quiet. Weighs just under 6lbs, and has a life time warranty.......

Takes a deep captured nock, on the string,,,,, just shot a deer with mine last week.......

I am very happy with it, came with illuminated scope, and is a nice one,,,,,, when I am back at it, I will use it for turkeys and bears,,,,,,,

11-Jan-18
I can't be understanding that right, does that say the Broadhead cannot have more than a 7/8 inch cutting diameter? I feel like that has to be a really stupid question but that's how I read it?

11-Jan-18
I had cataract surgery and it was one of the best things I've ever had done. Before you go getting a crossbow, I'd look into that if you have the insurance to cove it. The recovery time is minimal and now I have almost 20/10 vision. TMBB

11-Jan-18
I think glaucoma and cataracts are two different things. Not sure surgery can help.

11-Jan-18
stick n string, It has to be a minimum of 7/8 of an inch. It can't pass through the 7/8 ring meaning it would be larger than 7/8 inch. Hope that helps.

11-Jan-18
Ahhhh, yup, stupid question. Thanks for explaining it to my simple mind, i didnt think far enough.....

11-Jan-18
Thanks, guys. I appreciate all the helpful info. I will probably stick with my Sage recurve (get it? "...stick with my recurve.." I crack myself up! :) ) My effective range is about 12 or 15 yards but I will keep after it and see what summer brings.

11-Jan-18

Bowboy's Link
You might look at the draw loc vertical crossbow.

• Sitka Gear