wifishkiller 20-Jan-18
swampokie 20-Jan-18
Missouribreaks 21-Jan-18
Tim in Wyoming 30-Jan-18
Olink 30-Jan-18
GF 31-Jan-18
PECO 01-Feb-18
11-Jan-18
I'm 60, right-handed and bowhunted with longbows and recurves for many years. I was diagnosed with low tension glaucoma in 1995 and finally lost all central vision in my right eye about 4 years ago. My left eye is going but is still hanging in there. I bought a lightweight Samick Sage lefty recurve and taught myself to shoot lefty. My accuracy is not what I'd like it to be for hunting and I also ended up with joint issues in both elbows. I did not bowhunt last Fall and miss it. I'm thinking of hunting elk with a lefty crossbow. Never even held one and I am wondering about what to look for in a set-up for chasing elk in Wyoming... poundage, bolts, style for carrying up and down the mountains all day, scopes. Any advice would be welcome and greatly appreciated.

11-Jan-18
I met a elderly guy this year who hunted elk with a Crossbow. It was a PIA to carry around the elk mountains. Made him very tired at night. That was the major challenge. Good Luck

11-Jan-18
Thanks, Charlie. I keep thinking about it but I can't picture myself effectively hunting the hills with one of them. Just wishful thinking, I guess.

11-Jan-18
Thanks, OHIO. Here's the game and fish reg... "For the taking of any big or trophy game animal with a crossbow, a hunter shall use a crossbow having a peak draw weight of at least ninety (90) pounds and a bolt of at least sixteen (16) inches in length equipped with a fixed or expanding point broadhead that when fully expanded cannot pass through a seven eighths (7/8) inch solid ring." Probably not something I will end up pursuing at this time.

11-Jan-18
Quite a set-up!

11-Jan-18

SixLomaz's Link
Use a backpack for crossbow field carry. You will be much happier. See the above link. There are other options if you research.

11-Jan-18
I can't be understanding that right, does that say the Broadhead cannot have more than a 7/8 inch cutting diameter? I feel like that has to be a really stupid question but that's how I read it?

11-Jan-18
I had cataract surgery and it was one of the best things I've ever had done. Before you go getting a crossbow, I'd look into that if you have the insurance to cove it. The recovery time is minimal and now I have almost 20/10 vision. TMBB

11-Jan-18
I think glaucoma and cataracts are two different things. Not sure surgery can help.

11-Jan-18
stick n string, It has to be a minimum of 7/8 of an inch. It can't pass through the 7/8 ring meaning it would be larger than 7/8 inch. Hope that helps.

11-Jan-18
Ahhhh, yup, stupid question. Thanks for explaining it to my simple mind, i didnt think far enough.....

11-Jan-18
Thanks, guys. I appreciate all the helpful info. I will probably stick with my Sage recurve (get it? "...stick with my recurve.." I crack myself up! :) ) My effective range is about 12 or 15 yards but I will keep after it and see what summer brings.

11-Jan-18

Bowboy's Link
You might look at the draw loc vertical crossbow.

19-Jan-18
You might want to go to Crossbownation.com. Lots of knowledgeable guys on their and good information. Save up your Cabelas points. I got my bow for $48 with all the points I had saved up.

19-Jan-18
What i can tell you is that my father has a Tenpoint Titan SS and its a sweet shooter. Its fun to shoot the thing and its very accurate.

There are several companies making the reverse style limb models that i would assume be easier to carry. Smaller profile. They are going to be on the heavy side no matter which model you buy. Have a pack with a gun stock carrier that you can position in the middle and then lashing it down would probably be the best way to carry it.

20-Jan-18
Yep should work amazing for you with drawing down on an elk being the most challenging part of the hunt. Like others mentioned get a light one and find a convenient way to carry it! Glad crossbows are allowed for folks who don’t have the privilege of using a traditional or compound bow

20-Jan-18
Tim, I understand not wanting to go to the Xbow, but it's really not that big of a deal! Do what you gotta go to get a good effective range and then go kill something. If I ever came to the that fork in the road, I would not hesitate to shoot one! Haters can hate, and hunters will hunt. Go have fun and take a serious look at some of the suggestions above. Sorry to hear about the health concerns, good luck and God Bless!

20-Jan-18
I hunt cow elk in WY pretty much every year. Have had 4 shoulder surgeries and sometimes shooting my longbows is tough. Compounds are far worse. I've used a crossbow a few times . Never shot an elk with one but my brother has killed 3.

They will do the job, but are truly a giant pain (literally) to carry in the bush. Avoid the heavy ones, be sure you can carry it on your back, and check out the scope mounts. They are often not very strong.

20-Jan-18
I'd look at the Excalibur matrix series, pretty light weight and accurate. I set one up from time to time, for night hunting hogs.

20-Jan-18
Parker thunderhawk. You will love it! amazing little package

21-Jan-18
I would not spend a lot of money. I have seen the Barnett shoot and it would be absolutely devastating to elk at effective longer ranges. Good luck.

30-Jan-18
Thank you very much for taking the time for your suggestions and comments. I don't know what I'm going to do but I'll be out there, even if it's just with a camera.

30-Jan-18
I don't quite understand the comments about a crossbow being a pita to carry around. Have you looked at any of the latest crossbows? They are pretty small and aren't much different than a slinged rifle (in terms of carrying).

31-Jan-18
Maybe I’m just feeling ornery, but I would switch to a muzzleloader and not look back!

01-Feb-18
I had a crossbow for a while, did not like carrying it to the back of the 80 acre farm in Michigan, can not imagine trying to hunt elk with it. The new slim reverse ones may be better, but not to me for the money they cost. How do they hold value? Is this years latest and greatest a POS next year, like with the compounds? If so that's great for you, look for one a year or two old. For me, I tried one and was very diasappointed. I agree with GF, I would just use my muzzle loader, or rifle, and buy a new rifle instead of looking at a crossbow again. And I have thought about it a lot lately as I have a shoulder issue. One last thought, go shoot a bunch of them. They are fun to shoot in the store, but try to find one you can borrow for a day and really spend time with it. Take it on a walk or hike. You decide if the thing is for you. You may love it, hate it, or find it tolerable to keep you bow hunting.

• Sitka Gear