md5252 12-Jan-18
huntinandfishin247 12-Jan-18
Wolverine 16-Jan-18
IdyllwildArcher 16-Jan-18
11-Jan-18

Griz34's Link
New bow sight from Garmin.

11-Jan-18
Lol WOW. This will get interesting. Cool technology. I say no though. Too much. Just because we can doesn’t mean we should.

11-Jan-18
Imo..what a piece of crap,,,how about an automatic bow puller,or a motorized back pack carrier..or a laser guided BH...archery ,archery ,archery,,..yeah I know...

11-Jan-18
LOL- I guess about 30-years ago, couple of us old gray-beards were talking and somebody said something about..."Someday, somebody will invent a sight that you just point and makes all the adjustments for you. Just put a dot on them and shoot." This was about the time they came out with lighted pins. Oh...BTW- They have automatic bow pullers.

11-Jan-18
Pretty cool but think I'll stick with my good old HHA single pin! If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Man!! that things almost as much as my Mathews!

11-Jan-18
I'll play. What does it change? Takes some of the guesswork out, but that same guesswork can be taken out with the equipment we have today already. Just does it faster and better (I assume here). I don't really see what the issue with this piece of equipment is. Might eliminate some bad shots due to misjudgements, or ""äccidentally using the wrong pin."" I've got pins and I've got a rangefinder. How is a pin and rangefinder in one all of a sudden a bad thing?

If this thing is unethical, then shouldn't you believe that rangefinders themselves are unethical? Sure it costs a lot, but look what people spend on a bow, some every year. There's a market for it, and I don't have anything against it. I find it amusing that bowriter chimed in. John is using a crossbow this year. And while he may not be calling it archery, he has admitted how much fun he has had hunting this year. In fact we get nearly weekly updates on how his hunting is going. All because he is having fun. Which is AWESOME! It's all about having fun. I really don't see the dilemma on this one.

11-Jan-18
Looking into the warranty. Got the okay from my wife. This looks awesome!! My range finder and pin assembly cost close to the price of this sight . My bow is only two years old and I was gonna order the RX1 turbo,now I believe this a better investment.

11-Jan-18
I would assume it's not even legal in a bunch of states. I'm pretty sure where I live in South Dakota we still have a law prohibiting bow mounted electronic devices.

11-Jan-18
Bowriter, not many of us left on here that have any idea where this sport came from. We were the unpaid field testers for so many companies. Not sure if this is progress or not though.

11-Jan-18

smarba's Link
I'd suggest switching to the Garmin thread where this is already being discussed.

11-Jan-18
Next thing you know they'll have electric pedal-assist bicycles built especially for hunting...

11-Jan-18
Lol Jaq...

11-Jan-18
They already do have pedal assist bikes. I tried one out at the 2016 P &Y Rendevous.

That said I echo : "..not many of us left on here that have any idea where this sport came from. We were the unpaid field testers for so many companies."

Archery is supposed to have a level of difficulty. That's is why we practice, limit our shots to our effective range and only with proper body positioning of the target for maximum success. There has only been about a few hundred discussions on this already.

"I have the impression that the American sportsman is puzzled… He doesn’t understand what is happening to him. Bigger and better gadgets are good for industry, so why not for outdoor recreation? It has not dawned on him that outdoors recreations are essentially primitive, atavistic, that their value is a contrast value; that excessive mechanization destroys contrasts, by moving the factory to the woods or marsh."-Aldo Leopold Sand Country Almanac (1930s).

Yeah Aldo the father of modern conservation efforts, also a bowhunter. Very smart guy

11-Jan-18
Here is another Aldo Leopold quote: There is value in any experience that exercises those ethical restraints collectively called sportsmanship. Our tools for the pursuit of wildlife improve faster than we do, and sportsmanship is a voluntary limitation to the use of these armaments. It is aimed to argument the role of skill and shrink the role of gadgets in the pursuit of wild things.

11-Jan-18
Mr. Leopold was WAAAY ahead of his time. There's a lot more that he wrote on this in his "Sand County Almanac With Essays From Round River".

I was first exposed to his writing in my sophomore year at Wyoming in a forestry class I had. We only had to read one chapter but I devoured the whole book in short order. I remember thinking......"Now THIS guy get's it!!!"

11-Jan-18

midwest's Link
Yeah, there's already a thread on here about the Garmin.

I think the IQ rangefinder sight is a much better and robust idea. At my link....

11-Jan-18
Groundhunter ,happy wife ,happy HUNTING! No way I would drop that coin without running it by her first!

11-Jan-18
Tony, yes, it was a joke. We can't use them (Rambo bikes) on public land here in the West on any roads or trails closed to motorized vehicles. Otherwise I'd have one.

11-Jan-18
Damn, I just bought $750 worth of AR pistol and reflex sight ! Was I supposed to ask my wife ? I hope she don't whoop me !:-)

To the subject at hand, it looks like western hunters could benefit from this sight the most, and that's where it's gonna be illegal......the most. Old fart like me has no business shooting farther than thirty anyway.

11-Jan-18
Wow, $799- $999.... bit steep for my little whitetails...... My wife already said no... LOL

12-Jan-18
I went to get a new bow with this sight and I asked if he took trade ins....he said "Bows?"...and I said "no...Cars"....WTF.

12-Jan-18
One thing nobody mentioned. Not one of us is forced to buy one. There are no laws that say you must use an advantage. It is our decision to make any hunting as challenging as we wish. Look at the advancements in muzzleloaders or shotguns. We cannot and should not hold back technology. But we can opt not to use a product. I never shot a multiple pin sight or a release or (shudder) a peep. I never used a stabilizer. I lobbied against mechanicals in the early days when they all sucked ditch water. Those were my choices. I was violently opposed to crossbows. I won't use a feeder or a trail cam. Thise are or were my choices. Today, I don't give a tinker's dam what anyone uses as long as it is legal. That is their choice. I was, am and will always be a bowhunter, no matter what equipment I use or you use. I have an old Champion Attack One bow in my equipment room. If I could still pull it, I would be using it. It has one pin, no kisser button, no peep and I would shoot fingers. I dream that someday, technology will allow me to once again be able to pull it back. Want to know what thebiggest threat to bowhunting-in fact, all hunting is-Look in a mirror.

12-Jan-18
I can see mpauls point but I disagree, this is different from your rangefinder and pin sight. It takes some of the human factor out of the sight. I’d like to play with it but don’t want to hunt with it.

12-Jan-18
Bowriter , that is the most true statement I've read! Good form.

12-Jan-18
No thanks, I'm waiting for someone to come out with a game camera with a remote control bow or gun attached, so I can shoot one from the couch. Should be worth it, that would save on a rangefinder, ozonics, expensive clothing, treestand, safety harness, etc....but most importantly my time. Pay a kid down the street to get it, gut it out and maybe even bring to the butcher for me after the hero shot. Sweet reward will be when I have a personal chef cook me up a nice backstrap....Ahhh, that's the life...lol

12-Jan-18
Knowing how to track, stillhunt, get close, or figure out a deer's patterns, along with patience and just being out there, beats technology every time. Not many deer up here. What good is all that tech if you can't find a deer in these brushy woods where even a rifle shot is 40 yards and under? Excluding bull luck, you have to hunt a big buck up here before you can shoot him. I hunt with a longbow and am more successful than most rifle hunters because I hunt hard. Because of coaching, I do 90% of my hunting during gun season. You have to be in the woods to kill a deer up here, not riding the logging roads, unless you are lucky. I am not lucky so I have to hunt, which means doing a lot of walking and scouting.

12-Jan-18
I don't see how this is any different than ranging an animal with a handheld range finder and then using the proper pin. You still have to be able to hold steady and make a shot to set up the sight by shooting different distances and adjusting it just like a fixed pin sight. I honestly don't see where this sight does anything for you. You have to sight the sight in just like regular sight. You have to push a button to range the animal just like a regular rangefinder. The only thing it does is it only shows one pin when you are ready to shoot, thus eliminating the chance of using the wrong pin if you have done your part right.

12-Jan-18
People will still miss easy shots even with this gadget.

12-Jan-18
Wait for generation 2 or 3 without the wires.

16-Jan-18
I would say the one key benefit from this device is you have 1 pin for every exact yardage with no guessing in between pins.

16-Jan-18
Not legal in a lot of states.

• Sitka Gear