Bowriter 12-Jan-18
Franzen 12-Jan-18
South Farm 12-Jan-18
APauls 12-Jan-18
South Farm 12-Jan-18
DanWesson357 12-Jan-18
APauls 13-Jan-18
11-Jan-18
My column on post season scouting ran today. Reached about 60,000 readers in four counties. Emails have started coming in-about what I expected-but can't help but laugh at some of the comments. My fave, so far, is, "Might as well scout. U of TN sucks, Titans are almost done and I hate basketball." Most are in the vein of, "Why scout? I let my cameras do the work for me. Or something along those lines. One guy and I'll answer his email, asked what the difference was between a rub and a scrape. I like the legitimate questions and like helping them out when I can.

11-Jan-18
What do you think is most important? Pre-season, Post season, or In season? I prefer in season and post season and rarely even do pre season anymore.

11-Jan-18
Arrowhead- for me, scouting in Jan.-Feb is by far the most important. You can anywhere, do anything and by the time the season gets there, deer are use to it. I do almost no, pre-season scouting any more and none during the season other than what I see going in and out. I try to keep my hunting areas as undisturbed as possible. Having said that, quite possibly one of the best forms of scouting is blood trailing wounded deer. If you pay attention, you can learn a lot.

11-Jan-18
As soon as the season’s over, I start scouting for some great deals on trail cams on sale!

12-Jan-18
JTV you are missing one great thing to look for if you are hunting public ground. Think about "crossings". Doesn't matter if it is fence, stream or road. Finding those crossings may taker some thought and understanding but a road crossing can be a real find if you understand what time of day to hunt it. I could write an entire column on just that aspect of post season scouting. And tell me, the first year you deer hunted, did you know the difference between a scrape and a rub? And depending on where he is from, the terminology may be different. I never laugh at serious questions, no matter how "stupid" they may seem. We all had to learn.

12-Jan-18
I think post season scouting is good, but it's only a piece of the puzzle. My experience with post season scouting on public land is just to get to know the area well. It isn't going to help you shoot a deer if you rely on that alone come season, except maybe if you luck out and nobody else is hunting that spot come season. If there is any pressure, you almost have to scout during season, and late season definitely requires current scouting intel.

12-Jan-18
I could care less what time of year is best for scouting. I think if most of us are honest with ourselves we scout more to satisfy our souls, our longing to be out in nature exploring for what thrills us, than we do with any thought of it leading to any real tangible "success"...as in another rack on the wall. If it ever gets more serious than that, the fun is over and I'll hang up the bow and go fishing.

12-Jan-18
Sounds like your definition South Farm. I scout to kill, and I find that enjoyable. But in a way, I guess it is to satisfy my soul in the long run.

12-Jan-18
Took you 3 sentences, but you came around APauls;)

12-Jan-18
Yup, late season flintlock hunt here in PA then scout, trap, yote and fox hunt all just to get out and beat the cabin fever and pick a new tree or new approach make mental notes and see things I could never see pre season. Might take some pics this year or actually write some stuff down.

13-Jan-18
lol hey well when someone is right they're just right - I can admit it ;)

• Sitka Gear