LKH 11-Jan-18
Shrewski 11-Jan-18
midwest 12-Jan-18
SBH 12-Jan-18
nvgoat 12-Jan-18
nvgoat 12-Jan-18
jims 12-Jan-18
11-Jan-18
As a non resident, I've got 10 points heading into the draw. Max pool is 12. I just read an article recommending some great units to apply - yet every unit required the max points last year from what I can tell. (both special and regular required 11). So, is there any chance to draw a unit that required max points last year if you don't have max points again this year? I'm making the assumption that there were/will be more applicants for first choice that had max points than tags available. This is a once per lifetime hunt for me. I'd hire an outfitter. Thinking I'd like to archery hunt and then return with rifle if I'm unsuccessful so I would NOT apply for an archery only tag.

Hope I said all this sensibly!

11-Jan-18
You do have some good options, but you will need to filter through them.

The top units are low % draw for max points. Most do not issue any tags on the random draw so your chances are basically nil for the max point units.

There are a number of very good options that you can draw for less than max points - especially if you are planning to go with an outfitter. Several of the units that consistently turn out the biggest bulls in the state can be drawn for way less than max points - mostly because they are big wilderness country that a non-resident will need to hire a guide to get back in there to the best country for hunting. Most of those also have grizzly bears and wolves that tend to deter many non-resident hunters.

If you want to do archery with the option of coming back for a rifle hunt, you will need to draw a rifle hunt in a unit that allows the early archery hunt (some don't). If you are going to hire an outfitter, talk to him about what you want to do.

If you are waiting to be in the max point group, I would anticipate a very, very long wait. There are a lot of guys ahead of you and the % draw with max points in some of the hard to draw units is below 20% with maximum points.

With the prices continuing to go up for non-resident hunters in Wyoming, you are probably better to figure out a top end hunt that you can draw and just doing it. There are definitely bulls every bit as big (and maybe bigger) in many of the lower demand units than in the highest demand units.

11-Jan-18
Treeline you confirmed what I was thinking. A person reads these articles telling you about the fantastic opportunities but if you aren't max points you won't draw so why bother?

I'm with you on just applying in a top end unit that likely requires 9 or 10 points because there's so many people with 11 & 12 points that a person will never improve their position unless you are age 30 or younger. (I'm 51)

11-Jan-18
Tell me about it! I am 50 and in that Max -1 crowd for elk and antelope.

Although there are a number of great hunts up there that could turn up a whopper - especially if you are willing to pay for access or hire a guide.

I may step out of the moose point game up there or use my points for a cow.

Sitting on 17 for sheep and still not in the running!

11-Jan-18
Yes, that minus one max point thing is a ass kicker! If you want to burn points, there are some good hunts out there though...

11-Jan-18
If I was planning on going guided, I wouldn't have been buying all those points.

That said, you could draw unit 7 and hunt Wagonhound if money is no object. Probably a few other ranches that may be a little more affordable.

11-Jan-18
IMO - using your 10 WY PPs in an appropriate unit, and using an outfitter will definitely be a once in a lifetime hunt.

Being a point or 2 behind max will not lessen the experience

I say pick a high PP unit and go hunt

Tomorrow is not a guarantee

11-Jan-18
Midwest, I'm not sure if you are aware that there are no landowner tags available in WY. You may be thinking of NM or CO.

11-Jan-18
I’d say Midwest knows you can take a bang up guided hunt in the designated wilderness in Wyoming as a non resident with way less than max points...there’s not as high demand in the designated wilderness areas we are not allowed to hunt without a guide.

12-Jan-18
What Shrewski said. I'm sure there are some great guided hunts available either on private or wilderness that you could get on with just a Gen tag.

12-Jan-18
Id rather hunt then sit on a bunch of pts. Go get em.

12-Jan-18
A couple years ago I had less than max points but found a unit I could draw. Hired Muleshoe outfitters and killed an 11 yr old ram. Amazing country, good people, great time. I agree with others- draw a tag and go hunt now.

12-Jan-18
Mixed this up with other thread on sheep hunting. Oh well, still believe draw a tag and go hunt.

12-Jan-18
If you go guided make sure to check all their references! Although I strictly do nonguided hunts there are only 2 cases where going guided would be an advantage in Wyo. Access to prime private ranches. Access to lightly hunted wilderness areas where guides are required for nonres and the quality of bulls may be pretty high depending upon the season and unit. Do your research on outfitters and the quality of bulls and experience if you go that route. There's nothing like harvesting wild critters on your own...so that's the route I take! Generally speaking units with more public accessible land with better quality bulls generally take more pref pts to draw. There are usually reasons why certain units, seasons, etc are easier to draw (private land, migration, hunting pressure, elk numbers, etc).

• Sitka Gear