Inshart 12-Jan-18
MNRazorhead 12-Jan-18
Frenchman 13-Jan-18
WV Mountaineer 13-Jan-18
MNRazorhead 16-Jan-18
12-Jan-18

MNRazorhead's embedded Photo
MNRazorhead's embedded Photo
Training him to follow along behind me was tough, but his built-in quiver was worth it.

My daughter found it greeting her when she went back to her place yesterday. She put it in a Tupperware and is calling it her pet now... Weird kid. Wonder where she got that from? Anyone know what is the name of this spider and have you seen one before. Maybe it can be the official spider of Bowsite?

12-Jan-18
Found it. It is an Eastern Parson spider. Supposedly we are in the middle (Minnesota) of it's range but I've never seen one before, and I would have remembered that distinctive marking on it's back. As a bonus, it is also a hunting spider and not a web-spinner. Very cool. I may put it in a block of resin and hang it off of my quiver or something else archery related.

12-Jan-18
Looks very similar to an Alabama Tracking Spider, but much shorter legs, plus longer haired to survive in colder climates.

12-Jan-18
About how big is it? I live in central MN - I've never seen one.

12-Jan-18
Bob, It is about an inch across, including legs. I live just outside the TC's and I've never seen one either. Apparently, they are hard to spot because they normally are outside on the forest floor and are extremely fast and hard to capture.

13-Jan-18
a 4-legged judo point will always win over an 8-legged spider...

what I think about when I see a spider...

13-Jan-18
We call them Wolf Spiders because they hunt and kill, not spin a web. It's just a generic term that takes in a bunch of species. But, I really like them all. Some species get really big. Like 2.5-3 inches across big. I never kill any spider but, I leave things in the flower bed and around the house to create perfect "Wolf Spider" habitat. Keeps them safe from the chickens.

16-Jan-18
WV, you will be happy to know that my daughter feels the same. They released it back into the basement to let it do it's bug-killing thing. Loved it's "arrow in a quiver" back marking, however.

• Sitka Gear