INbowdude 13-Jan-18
Overland 13-Jan-18
Rutin buck 13-Jan-18
gobble50 13-Jan-18
Spiral Horn 13-Jan-18
standswittaknife 14-Jan-18
Tjw 14-Jan-18
13-Jan-18
Taking my first trip ever to S.A. the first week of June. My package consists of the following animals. Gemsbuck, Kudo, Eland, impala, blue wildebeest, red hartebeast, blesbuck, and springbok, which animals should I target with my bow versus my rifle. Any other insight is appreciated as well!! Thanks

13-Jan-18
How many days

13-Jan-18
Taking my first trip ever to S.A. the first week of June. My package consists of the following animals. Gemsbuck, Kudo, Eland, impala, blue wildebeest, red hartebeast, blesbuck, and springbok, which animals should I target with my bow versus my rifle. Any other insight is appreciated as well!! Thanks

13-Jan-18
Hunt em all with the bow! It is OK to not kill everything in your package.....go back again if the animal evades you and you want one!

13-Jan-18
Depending on your set-up (bow poundage, arrow weight & BH) every one of the animals listed can be hunted with one bow.

Also figure 1.5 days hunting average per animal. You've listed both open plains and bush animals. Therefore, sounds like some intra-hunt travel time is going to be required.

13-Jan-18
Appreciate everyones insight...the hunt will be for 7 days. Really want the Gemsbuck and Kudo with a bow. Don’t realistically think I have time to harvest all the animals with my bow.

13-Jan-18
Your question is not answerable based upon animal type to weapon choice. Each of those animals can be, and is often taken by bow (short distance/close encounter). However, for the most part that means blind/water hole sitting. When it comes to spot and stalk (or track and shoot) then percentages for bow taken game drops precipitously. It will most likely depend on HOW you want to take them/how you want to hunt them/how you want to spend your day. It will also depend on terrain, and whether any particular animal type is coming to the water to give you a chance. If you have to go out and find them, then you will more likely be converting over to rifle for that hunting in view of the fact that you are ok with that option. And,,,,,,some if those animals are more huntable on foot than others. Your PH will be the best guide as he will know the property. You may want to start by asking him to outline which of the animals should be relegated to hunting on foot (gun), and make a point of planning to do that. That way the other species can be looked for at the water holes and/or if the stalkable ones just show up at the water then go ahead and take them.

13-Jan-18
Kudu and Gemsbok are two of the most huntable species with a bow, when hunting water holes, in my opinion. Give yourself several days at water and see which of the species you take. In the last few days, you can target those species that mean most to you with a rifle. 10 days is usually the minimum time needed to have a good chance of taking most of your list with a bow, so 7 days is a somewhat short hunt (especially considering the 4 days of travel).

13-Jan-18
They will all be coming into 20 yards to eat or drink so no limits with the bow other than your wallet.

13-Jan-18
Hunting with a bow- if you can take 4 or 5 animals at a waterhole you've had a great hunt.

You Ph can probably tell you which waterholes the different species are using.

13-Jan-18
To clarify the hunt is 7 full days with travel outside that window you all bring up good points as I want the full experience so I will be ok with my rifle in hand.. hoping for a good mix of bow and rifle harvests... any recommendations on reference material to study for judging each species I’ve mentioned?

13-Jan-18
What outfit are you hunting with? Each concession will have different concentrations on certain species. For instance, one concession might have a ton of blue wildebeest but low on Eland. Really, your PH will be your best source to answer those questions. Also keeping an open mind on what comes in to the waterhole/food source will be most productive for you. Be careful, Africa is addictive and you will wan to go back to collect any critter you didn't get. Best of luck.

13-Jan-18

Overland's embedded Photo
Overland's embedded Photo
Buy The Perfect Shot and study it on the plane. It's geared toward the rifle hunter, but the vitals are in the same place regardless of what weapon you are using.

I wouldn't even bother thinking about trying to plan which animals you will take with a gun vs bow. Sit in the blind for the first few days with the bow and shoot whatever comes in range. If you feel like you haven't shot enough after three or four days, grab the rifle.

Personally speaking, I think it's a shame to go all the way to Africa to sit in a blind, but that's just my opinion. Have a great hunt!

13-Jan-18
Really appreciate the feed back this was a spur of the moment decision to go after a good buddy whose been twice already talked me into it hence the reason I’m no any further along in my decision making

13-Jan-18
Made the trip four times - each Hunt was 10 days. Can’t imagine going on less time. I’d rec - pay the extra $$ and tack on an extra three days. You won’t regret it. I’ve taken some of my best animals on the 8th, 9th & last day.....

13-Jan-18

Spiral Horn's embedded Photo
If your Safari Company understands the needs of a bowhunter, they should have some game pre-scouted for you. Just remember African Game have a vital zone more forward in the body than their NA cousins. I usually come straight up the front leg 1/3 of the way up into the body on broadside shots, and aim just inside the off shoulder when quartering away.

14-Jan-18
Went to Africa back in 2009 with my dad and had a blast. We’d like to go back some day but other hunts and life had taken more time. That being said, if i was to go back, I’d never think of taking a gun. Just me, but being driven around shooting stuff takes the fun out of it for me.

14-Jan-18

• Sitka Gear