MDW 17-Jan-18
mnbwhtr 17-Jan-18
MNRazorhead 20-Jan-18
White Falcon 20-Jan-18
15-Jan-18

MNRazorhead's embedded Photo
MNRazorhead's embedded Photo

MNRazorhead's Link
Talking about my friend and hunting partner Bill, who died a couple or so years ago, on the retirement thread, got me thinking that I still need to go through some of his old archery stash that came my way after he died. I found some pristine (meaning no rust) blades in their original packaging for Savora Super-S broadheads. I have two boxes that have a total of eight blades. If any collector or anyone wants them just pm me your name and address and I'll drop them in the mail. As I said they are like-new, sharp and no rust.

This also got me thinking about those broadheads, which were from the 70's and I believe one of the earliest commercially successful replaceable blade broadhead. Anyone have a good story related to them? I had an uncle who sliced his index finger knuckle to the bone putting one of those damn blades into the all-aluminum ferrule. It was bad. And I know he was far from the only one who got slashed from those things.

15-Jan-18
Wow, haven't seen them is many,many moons... I believe the broadheads were called Sweptwings... I killed a few deer with them back in the day... The originals were three blades, and they later came out with 4 blades...

Will send you a PM... Thanks

15-Jan-18
PM me too. I think I have a few Savoras around.

Yea a cut myself once or twice. They were not as bad as ##### (brain is working - no name. Long time ago, it was in the 70's). BUT the blade had a hole in it where the Savora has the notch. You had to rotate a ring around the ferrule/blade, one at a time to secure them. LOTS of fingers got it with them. I bet I have them too. Apparently I don't throw much out.

They are Wasp, well maybe - is my brain worked for second.

How about the old Rocky Mountain. I know I have some of them.

15-Jan-18
Buck Watcher - I recall a Wasp that used a rotating ring to clip in the blades. Yes, beyond difficult and painful.

15-Jan-18

joehunter's embedded Photo
joehunter's embedded Photo
Killed my first deer in 1977 with those exact heads. Four blade Savora Swept-Wing. Forty years ago. I am getting old.

15-Jan-18
Yes, I was thinking the same, those old green Wasp heads. They looked cool, however!

15-Jan-18
"Yea a cut myself once or twice"

I have what looks like a deformed left thumb cut major deep by removing a Savora... Dang near the cut end of my thumb off at the time (could see the tendons) and the way they stitched it, never healed right...

15-Jan-18

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
I've used them all back in the day. Still have some in my tackle..

15-Jan-18
Lest we forget the kolpin twister head.they came with a plastic head cover to screw them on with.old school.

15-Jan-18
Box Call - Those 2 at bottom left are good examples of the Savoras.... The one on the left was the original style, and the other one (at right) were called Sweptwings... Notice the tapered back...

15-Jan-18

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
BTW, I think I bowkilled my first deer with a Savora...

Jennings Model Super-T and Easton XX75 Autumn Orange shafts,,, classic...8^)

16-Jan-18
Careful guys, talking like this may cause someone to get the collecting bug like I have. I started out with a few heads I had tried over the years and now have over 1700 different broadheads. Over the years, Savora has put out over 60 different variations of their heads.

Think it was just last year that Savora revamped the tips on some models to make them more competitive with present day heads. They look good, but have not tried any yet.

16-Jan-18
Marvin, do you go on the road with your broadhead collection? Would love to see that, if you do. The Pope & Young Museum in Chatfield, MN has some really old interesting broadheads, too, if anyone is planning to visit it.

In full disclosure, I used some original Satellites, like are shown on the bottom right side of the picture above to take a turkey last spring and a buck in the fall. I haven't used them for deer in many, many years due to their thin blades and tendency to pop out or chip/warp if encountering bone. Was feeling nostalgic this fall and kept one on the string and it performed as well as any kill I have ever had. Deer did a death dash and was down in 5 seconds. Pretty cool to see that. Although, the shot angle was a steep quartering away and I actually slipped it into the chest just behind the last rib, so no bone encountered. The last buck I shot with a Satellite was in the mid-80's and I hit the heavy bone in the off-side shoulder joint - that head, or more specifically the blades, looked like someone took a hammer to them along with a tin-snips they were so bent up and chipped. So I think I pushed my luck enough this year and I'll probably go back to my regular heads next year.

16-Jan-18

Basil's embedded Photo
Basil's embedded Photo
Seems like everyone has war wounds from those days. Trying to force a new blade in a tight slot on those ferrules on Savoras the night before a bear hunt.

16-Jan-18
Can still remember the emergency room doc saying how he loved stitching up bow hunters. The wounds were so clean & easy to stitch up

17-Jan-18
Ouch. Brings back memories of my uncles hand.

I was putting my arrows away after turkey hunting this spring and, unfortunately as I soon found out, had them point end down. One arrow with a shaving sharp Bear Razorhead on it slipped out of my hand and embedded in the top of my bare foot. It went about halfway or more through my foot since it didn't hit any bone (or nerves or major blood vessels, luckily). It just stood there, sticking out of my foot, until I pulled it out. Felt no pain whatsoever, just a push like I poked my finger there. Anyways, the doctor, too, made a comment about how sharp and clean the cut was. She was wondering what did it and when I told her a broadhead she smiled and said that makes sense.

17-Jan-18
Mark, I've only taken my collection on the road a couple of times, it's a pain in the a** to move around. last year to the Kansas Bownunter's Convention and once to the Mid West Huntfest in Wichita, KS.

Seen the P&Y collection and even donated a head or two to it.

17-Jan-18
I have some, unused, after I watched a friend shoot a a mule deer fawn from about 10 yards and saw the arrow bounce off like it was a blunt. He was shooting a 65# Bear 6 wheel compound at the time.

20-Jan-18
TTT - for you Grant.

20-Jan-18
Thanks, I'll take them if still have them!

• Sitka Gear