nmwapiti 16-Jan-18
HDE 16-Jan-18
wildwilderness 16-Jan-18
IdyllwildArcher 16-Jan-18
LUNG$HOT 16-Jan-18
Dikndirt 16-Jan-18
Bowboy 16-Jan-18
15-Jan-18
When applying as a group for deer in Utah are the PP’s among the group averaged out or is it like Colorado, where they use the lowest point holders points for the whole group?

15-Jan-18
I know they average but I don't know if they round down. Pretty sure they do.

Something to keep in mind is it's harder to turn back at tag if someone in your group needs to. Read the regulations closely. I broke my foot after drawing Book Cliffs deer and they wouldn't let the buddy I drew with turn his back. It was dumb.

15-Jan-18
They average them. I can't remember for sure, but in case of a 1/2 point, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the understanding that the points are rounded down in Utah, unlike AZ.

16-Jan-18
Thanks guys, I found it in the regs. Yes they average and yes they round down. Was asking for my Dad and cousins. They live there.

16-Jan-18
On an unrelated note I was poking around on the Utah website. I guess I never realized they have any bull gen season (otc) elk tags for quite a few units. Why doesn’t ANYBODY ever mention this when someone posts questions about where to hunt otc. Well kept secret or just not even worth hunting these areas?? I knew about the otc spike/cow tags just not bulls.

16-Jan-18
I wouldn't pay the nr fee for one.

16-Jan-18
The Otc bull units in Utah are a tough hunt. That’s why

16-Jan-18
Hunted the Uintah area a couple times while I was statoned there. Big country and a handful of very smart elk. Like noted above, a very tough hunt.

16-Jan-18
Maybe a CWMU might be an option...

16-Jan-18
Like the other thread here on cheating the system, UT requires the entire group to turn the tags back to get your points reinstated. That way you can't reuse the same points from "Grandma" year after year to draw.

As mentioned UT general bull elk is tough. Also most people to from the East and South who want to hunt OTC elk, will have to drive through the entire state of Colorado to get to those general units in UT. From SoCal, its similar amount of time to get to Western CO as North UT. And from NorCal its closer to hunt OTC ID which is way better. I see no reason to drive and extra 4-6 hours to hunt less elk and area than CO.

16-Jan-18
The reason no one (NR) hunts the general bull hunts in Utah is because they're lousy hunts. The age strata and the bull:cow ratios are terrible. Utah has a lot of resident elk hunters and a limited amount of OTC hunts, which gets the bulls hammered. CO has a lot of general season hunters, but they have far more units available to OTC hunters. That said, the age strata and bull:cow ratios in CO are terrible as well. They're just not as terrible as Utah.

Utah would have better OTC hunting if they had very few units worth saving points for, like CO. But they have several more quality LE hunts than CO does with less overall units, so their OTC hunts have taken a hit due to this management decision.

16-Jan-18
Makes sense! Thanks for the input guys.

16-Jan-18
You guys are certainly right, Utah any bull units that are OTC are not even worth the resident price let alone the NR fee!

16-Jan-18
I live there for 12yrs and always seemed to kill an elk in the general units but they were always spikes. The problem with UT is the season dates aren't archery friendly. It's way to early to hunt them. Most UT bowhunters hunted other states unless they drew a LE tag.

• Sitka Gear