ELKMAN 18-Feb-18
ELKMAN 19-Feb-18
Wapitidung 19-Feb-18
ELKMAN 20-Feb-18
ELKMAN 21-Feb-18
Bowfreak 21-Feb-18
Mark Watkins 21-Feb-18
16-Jan-18
Those who have the new Hoyt RX1 how are they, as good as say?

16-Jan-18
I pick mine up tomorrow! :0

16-Jan-18
hoyts are always BETTER than they say.

17-Jan-18
They are BETTER !

17-Jan-18
shot one this weekend for a about an hour and didnt care for it. Way to much feed back post shot.

17-Jan-18
I can't say that it shoots better than my CS 34 ZT.

30-Jan-18
Anyone else been able to shoot the new Hoyt???

30-Jan-18
I loved the older Hoyt’s. The newer ones not so much..

30-Jan-18
I picked mine up a couple weeks ago, but have not been able to shoot it much due to a bout with Tennis elbow.

Comparing it to my Carbon Defiant, the RX1 is noticeably louder at the shot but is much smoother to draw. These are my observations with fewer than 10 arrows through the new RX1. Other than that, typical Hoyt quality/finish.

30-Jan-18
mine should be here next week. Coming from a Faktor Turbo, big improvement!

30-Jan-18
Really Shot? I thought this RX1 was most like the 2014 Faktor Turbo/Carbon Spyder Turbo. Similar specs and performance. And the Z5 was a great cam.

30-Jan-18
As Kota mentions, the new RX-1's are loud. However mine quieted significantly with a pair of string silencers. Draw cycle is smooth and compares to that of the old Z5 cam. Although the RX-1 turbo seems to have a slightly shorter valley than the CST. Tuning is a little different from past models, but easy. For yoke adjustment, the target point seems to be zero lean in the top cam.

30-Jan-18
Getting the RX 1 turbo. Loved it

03-Feb-18
I've had my RX-1 Ultra for about 2 months, and have very mixed feelings. There are days when I can group out to 100 yards and other days when I have difficulty at 40 yards. This is the first 6" brace height bow I've ever shot, so I'm not sure if it's the brace height, the grip or what is making it more difficult then past Hoyt bows?? Any thoughts?? Thanks!

03-Feb-18
Love mine for accurary and smooth drawing - but it does seem fairly loud indeed.

03-Feb-18
If its loud what else matters

04-Feb-18
I am shooting the RX Ultra and it isn't loud at all. In fact it is noticeably quieter than my CS-34, Nitrum 34, and my Defiant 34. And all the RX-1s we have set up and super tuned have been much quieter than the Defiants. Not sure what you guys have going on. These new Hoyt's are by far the best pure hunting bows to date. IMHO

04-Feb-18
My Ultra should be in soon. 2/16 ship date. I'm a lefty so I'm always waiting.

04-Feb-18
I still don't know that the RX-1 shoots better than my CS 34 ZT.

04-Feb-18
I agian shot and tuned another RX1 today and i still dont see whats so special about this bow. Pretty over hyped.

04-Feb-18
I'm slobbering all over myself waiting on my Ultra. The quite one.

04-Feb-18
Trial,

In reality you can say that about every bow on the market. If there was a consensus best bow on the market it would literally be just incrementally better than the worst bow on the market. Plus it is all perspective. I see every Elite bow as nearly identical to another and others see them as gems.

04-Feb-18
Bow freak, know what makes it the best bow on the market? When someone spends 1500 dollars! Same could be said for most new bows. When someone drops that kind of coin, not many people are going to tell you they don’t like it.

05-Feb-18

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo

05-Feb-18
cool

05-Feb-18
I have an RX-1 Ultra and have had it since early December. The positives are that it holds better on target than any bow I've shot, the draw is easy to adjust, it's super smooth and it's got a nice, solid backwall. The speed is + 2 to 3 FPS compared to my 2014 Carbon Spyder 34, so not much gain there. It's definitely got more hand shock than past Hoyts I've owned and it's also louder until you hang sights, stabilizers and a quiver on the bow then I can't tell much difference in noise or hand shock. Cam timing is set dead even, rest down the center and the shock and noise is still there until accessories are added; since I'll shoot with all the accessories this isn't really an issue.

I'm also really struggling to get this bow to tune and can't consistently get rid of a nock left issue no matter what spine arrow I try. Since it's inconsistent (I can shoot a good arrow about 10% of the time) it could very well be me and the new grip and the best tune I've achieved is when I replaced the new plastic stock grip with an older Hoyt wood grip. I've got a left elbow injury that might be causing me to torque since it's painful to shoot so I'm not convinced the tuning issues is due to the bow or me. That said, I can still pick up my Carbon Spyder and shoot perfect bare shafts with fletched to 40 yards after an hour of frustration trying to get the RX1 to shoot bareshafts with fletched at 20 yards. The weirdest thing about tuning this bow is the my broadheads were impacting 4" to 6" left at 60 yards which is the opposite of nock left and I have to move the rest to the left to get them aligned with fieldpoints. At the end of the day, as long as FBBH impact with field points at 60 to 80 yards I'll consider the bow tuned but bare shaft tuning and paper tuning has been frustrating and mostly nock left..

Overall, I'm not really impressed and it definitely hasn't lived up to the hype for me when compared to my 2014 CS but it's really cool looking in the new Sub Alpine camo!

05-Feb-18
I ordered mine with Subalpine Riser and black limbs. I think it looks great. Will be working on "quieting" it down the next couple weeks. Other than the "bang" at the shot, I really like the bow. Draws/holds much nicer than my Carbon Defiant. No problems with tuning this one. Perfect bullet holes, bare shafts look good and fixed blade heads are flying with field points at 20 yards. (Furthest I can shoot indoors)

05-Feb-18
The finish on the sub-alpine risers looks awesome on these bows, the Kuiu ones look like they were painted on by a daycare.

05-Feb-18
My thoughts on a couple of the issues: I have been told by my pro shop that Hoyt is now shipping them with string leeches which removes the sound. As far as tuning my shop did mine and I'm pleased. There are things they have been taught by Hoyt that make them easy to tune. Hope that helps, I think it is a great bow and I seem to be shooting it well.

06-Feb-18
Has anyone heard that you can order the RX1's with a longer limb that brings the brace height to 7 inches? I've read some mixed info on it but no confirmation. The six inch brace is really all thats holding me back and if I could get one with a seven inch I'd order one immediately

06-Feb-18
I bought the aluminum riser Hyper Force in January....great shooting bow out to 80 yards so far. Easy for the shop to tune. Smoothest draw cycle yet. It is a bit loud at the shot.

I pick up the RX-1 Ultra tomorrow....really liked the string angle for the nose anchor positioning. seemed much quieter than the HF. Same silky smooth draw.

I understand the bow manufacturers putting rubber grips on for cold weather comfort, but for the life of me they induce torque and thus reduce accuracy. thus, the first thing I have found beneficial for accuracy and torque reduction is to take them off...helps immensely IMHO!

Mark

06-Feb-18
So, Mark, let me get this straight...You bought two more Hoyts this winter and you'll be shooting the Faktor again this fall? :) :) ;0

06-Feb-18
Kota, yes, you are correct.

I go with "mojo", but at the same time may be considered by some to be a "bow whore?"

Mark

06-Feb-18
I “DARE” you to use that Hyperforce on spring bear....Better yet...I “DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU”!

06-Feb-18
Tilzbow,

Sounds like you have a contact issue. What rest are you using?

06-Feb-18
Kota, Either the HF, a spear or the blow gun, see you in Manitoba!

Mark

06-Feb-18
Bowfreak, There's no contact issue that I can see; I've covered all three vanes with hot pink lipstick and it's never ended up on the rest, riser or containment arm. I get nock left with bare shafts through paper and on the range and the same nock left shows up paper tuning with fletched arrows at 6' & 15'.

I wish it was that and I'm willing to look at it again but I think it's a grip thing. In any case the rest is a Hamskea Hybrid Hunter Pro. The lower string angle create facial contact with I've since eliminated facial by shortening my draw length 1/2" and lengthening my release rope and string loop 1/2" total so my anchor remained the same but moved the string out away from my face. That seemed to help some at first and I may have started leaning my head into the string and recreated the contact.

The tough part is I'm trying not to shoot and let me elbow heal so maybe the issue will go away after a month or two layoff....

06-Feb-18
Tilz,

Healing and rest are way overrated:)!

try taking all grips off and shoot straight off the riser!

Mark

06-Feb-18
Ok. Doesn't sound like its something you havent already checked

Have you tried yoke tuning? Or have you left yokes in place and just adjusted the rest?

06-Feb-18
I've tried yoke tuning and it doesn't seem to make much difference on this bow. I've tried moving the rest back and forth without yoke tuning, just yoke tuning and a combination of both and my only conclusion was that yoke tuning isn't much of a tuning tool with Hoyt's new design. It seems it's all in the rest and timing with the new design. The best I've done with bare shafts and paper is with the cams set dead even, the rest at 21/32" from center, nock set almost perfectly level and the stock plastic grip replaced with the Hoyt Pro Fit wood grip.

It got really weird when I shot FBBH at 60 yards. They were hitting 4" to 6" left (opposite of nock left) and I moved the rest right to 3/4" or 13/16" (can't remember which) to clean that up. In conclusion, the only thing that makes sense is I might be torqueing with bare shafts and while paper tuning but not with FBBH. In the end, if I wasn't Type A OCD, it shouldn't matter since FBBH are consistent to 60+ and as a hunter that's what's really important!

When my elbow is better I'm going to try Mark's suggestion to shoot off the riser but I don't expect much since I prefer a little bigger grip. I'm able to relax my hand more when using the Pro Fit wood grip. Might be because I have big hands, might be because I also shoot traditional bows as much as compounds, might be because I'm mental....

06-Feb-18
Luckily the guys in the shop here are Hoyt guroos . The technology is too new to rely on myself for tuning or things of that nature. I felt some hand shock all except the turbo ,which is fortunate because I shoot the turbo line anyway. I love the new one.

07-Feb-18
Tilz, I've been looking a new bow so I have researched every review, written and you tube, I could find on those models I liked. While researching the RX I viewed a video where the reviewer was having the same issue as you. After much trial and error he discovered his grip was the problem. Seems the RX does not like a lot of "heel pressure". He could produce bullet holes and left tears just by altering the heel pressure. If I can find the video I'll send you a link.

07-Feb-18
Tilz,

PM sent.

Mark

07-Feb-18
Mark: There is no rubber grip on the RX-1s or the Hyper force. It is a hard resin/plastic, every bit as hard and torque free as wood or aluminum.

07-Feb-18
Tilz: The new bows are tuning with yokes pretty much the same as the old ones.(Slight decrease in reaction due to increased stability on the bottom) I'm fairly sure you have something going on. Not sure what you since you can shoot the old CS with good results. I have not noticed a significant difference in tune, or grip position on these new ones compared to my Spyder or Nitrum. I would say there was a bigger difference between the Spyders and the Nitrums than them and these, and that was just due to the add of the ZT rollers. I am putting the new grip on everything I own for hunting, and I haven't shot a grip since 2006...

07-Feb-18
I think he's referring to the way the guy was gripping the bow and not the actual grip. I've been shooting Hoyt since 2002 and from the experiences I've had the way you grip the bow has a lot to do with everything. Castle oaks post is dead on.

07-Feb-18
I’ve moved my grip all over the place on this RX1 but I haven’t tried less heal and I do shoot with quite a bit of heal pressure. I’ll give that a try and see if it works. What I have found is the bow likes pressure more toward the palm than the thumb pad for me but I haven’t worked on altering heal pressure. With my Carbon Spyder I can move a bare shaft back and forth by altering my grip shot to shot but not so much with this bow.

Yoke tuning has very little effect but I’ve only used 1 twist on the left while removing 1 from the right and haven’t gone beyond 1 and 1.

07-Feb-18
Split: You are correct on tuning the shooter. I am by far the biggest proponent of it, I was driving that band wagon before it was even acknowledged in the "tuning world", but he (Mark) distinctly mentions rubber grips on this thread. An RX-1 thread. There are no "rubber" grips on this thread...JS

07-Feb-18
Elkman...With Hoyt, it doesn’t seem to matter...Plastic, rubber or wood. JS

08-Feb-18
Agreed. They shoot better than anything else on the planet regardless... ;^)

08-Feb-18
Elkman (and all),

"I understand the bow manufacturers putting rubber grips on for cold weather comfort, but for the life of me they induce torque and thus reduce accuracy. thus, the first thing I have found beneficial for accuracy and torque reduction is to take them off...helps immensely IMHO! "

I was speaking of bow manufacturers in general as outlined above. For the record, there is no rubber grip on the Hoyts, but I still find the grip a bit tacky to the gloved shooting hand and thus remove it.

The base premise of my comment (that has helped me with my long distance (80-120 yard) practice sessions is simply removing the entire grip and shooting straight off the riser with a super thin liner glove (no rubber traction in the palm)

This accomplishes two things (both of which reduce torque and increase repeatable accuracy):

-Reduction in hand surface contact with the riser (smaller surface area)

-Reduction in "traction" on the riser (reduced opportunity for torque)

Hope this helps others as much as it has helped me increase my repeatable accuracy at crunch time.

Mark

08-Feb-18
Ordered my Hoyt RX1 Ultra in December and getting it set up next week at the shop. All the negative comments here now have me thinking I may have made an expensive bad choice! Guess I'll find out for myself. Been shooting the Carbon Spyder 34 for the past 4 years and its a great bow. As an aside, I've been at my daughters in Kremmling, CO for the past week. The deer and elk having a very easy winter here. Fun viewing them right from my daughter's house. Heading up higher to do an afternoon snowshoe trek again this afternoon.

08-Feb-18
I picked up my RX 1 Ultra on Tuesday night and have about 85 shots through it thus far. Shot it yesterday outside (5F) out to 60 yards and was getting 4" groups (3 FP and 1 ST standard). Was very quiet (much quieter than the HF) even in the cold conditions. Super smooth draw, almost no handshock, solid back wall.

Early opinion is the Ultra is the real deal. (I'm not a pro staffer, sponsored or a fan boy...just a normal paying customer).

Mark

08-Feb-18
Thanks Mark! I feel better now! Can trust a Minnesotan!

08-Feb-18
Whocares...That's a STRETCH...But whatever makes you feel better. :)

You'll love the bow. (and that's from a North Dakotan, which is MONEY)

09-Feb-18
Agreed all around Mark. You are gonna love it. I did mine with the lower let off mods, and then added the lower let off draw stops and WOW is all I can say. The balance and holding oscillation on the Ultra is the best I've seen. The tune was a walk in the park. All around Hoyt really got back to being Hoyt on this one...

11-Feb-18
So have you been shooting it? Or not!

11-Feb-18
I get mine set up later this week.

11-Feb-18
I got mine figured out. I think. I added 1.5 twists on the left yoke, removed an equal amount from the right and have a perfect hole at 5’ & 15’. Next is bareshaft tuning. Although I tried it several times I don’t think I’d tried yoke tuning after I shortened the draw and got rid of the facial contact so the combination of yoke tuning and getting rid of facial contact seems to have cured the left tear problem.

12-Feb-18
Great to hear Tilz!

Since picking up the Ultra a week ago, I can't stop shooting it:)

So smooth, so addictive!

Mark

12-Feb-18
I got my RX1 a few months ago.. It originally had 85% mods on it, but that is not legal in CO so, went back over the weekend and had the 80% put on.. but this thing shoots so smooth and is so well balanced... It really is a nice piece of hardware.. Cannot wait for September!!

12-Feb-18
Did you notice any change in performance with the 80% mods?

12-Feb-18
Does CO go off the mods that are on the bow, or actually measure the holding weight vs max draw weight?

13-Feb-18
I doubt they mess with it to much either way, but if your mods say "85%" you are probably making their job to easy. In my opinion 85% is to high, kind of gimmicky, and catering to archery's lowest common denominator. You need some holding weight to get a good oscillation and hold properly. Mine is at 75% like all Hoyts have been for the last decade and a half and it shoots lights out.

13-Feb-18
I asked because there are times they advertise a let off figure but actual measurements don't support that figure.

13-Feb-18
True. I would just get the 80s and be compliant. Dealer should swap straight across in a state that carries that law on the books. He should actually be ordering them all with 80s to be honest.

13-Feb-18
Stopped by the shop with my RX1 today and they installed one "monkey tail" on the lower part of the string and it is MUCH quieter. However, they had no answer for my tennis elbow so I'm still not able to enjoy shooting the bow just yet...:(

13-Feb-18
Good to hear Kota. No need on the Ultra, but thats what I planned on doing to the HF...monkey tails work great.

Mark

13-Feb-18
Send your bow my way and I'll test it for you Kota ;o)

13-Feb-18
"Stopped by the shop with my RX1 today and they installed one "monkey tail" on the lower part of the string and it is MUCH quieter. However, they had no answer for my tennis elbow so I'm still not able to enjoy shooting the bow just yet...:( "

Shower injury?

13-Feb-18
Funny guy...No, I think it was too much drinking at WSF...I was not in “Sheep Show Shape”.

14-Feb-18
Had to have something to do with the shower...JS- LOL! ;^)

14-Feb-18
Maybe Zack can do a seminar next about getting into (and staying in) sheep show shape?

14-Feb-18
Got my new REDWRX cap today and they threw in a bow with the deal! Like it! Smooth, quiet, fast. And tuned. Does have a lower string silencer on it. As good or better than my Carbon Spyder 34. My only Valentine present.

15-Feb-18
Still waiting....................

Wap

15-Feb-18
When/what did you order?

15-Feb-18
Mine is supposed to be shipping tomorrow.

15-Feb-18
Elkman, I order RX 1 Ultra, Optifade, cancelled the order, then reordered - so I did it to myself. Few more weeks and I'll have my Bow. You never know, it may come in early.

16-Feb-18
I see.

16-Feb-18
Still Waiting for mine, ordered it Nov 15 dealer confirmed they order it on Nov 16. over 90 days now. Spoke to the dealer at the middle of January they said Hoyt told them another two weeks. Something about the number 2 cam is not that popular. I'll give them until the end of the month, then I'll cancel and buy a Mathews....I need an extra jack handle anyway.

16-Feb-18
lol. Guess I'll wait. I have other Bows to shoot.

16-Feb-18
bb, mine took awhile to come in as well definitely worth the wait though.

16-Feb-18

RX-1 Ultra's embedded Photo
RX-1 Ultra blackout with blue string. American Flag QAD rest. 7 pin Hogg Father.
RX-1 Ultra's embedded Photo
RX-1 Ultra blackout with blue string. American Flag QAD rest. 7 pin Hogg Father.

16-Feb-18
I don't know, I have hunts to plan this fall, I can't plan without a bow.

16-Feb-18
Anyone get their ‘Lefty’ yet?

17-Feb-18
bb if you don't have a bow in your possession you are different than me. I have at least two set up at all times, and I certainly don't need one to plan my next hunt. But I will say this: It WILL be worth the wait, and if you buy that maaaathews that's exactly what you'll have is a jack handle.

17-Feb-18
I am different than you, no question.

17-Feb-18
I could have gone up the road 20 miles and got what I wanted in the Black Out. Didn't do it. Waiting on my optifade subalpine. I know, nutts.

17-Feb-18
Amazing how long the wait is for a bow with a msrp of 1,600.00.

17-Feb-18
"Amazing how long the wait is for a bow with a msrp of 1,600.00."

The real crime with that is trying to accessorize. Do you realize how long it takes to find optifade boot laces?

17-Feb-18
Accessorize? That's what my daughters do...

18-Feb-18
Good one bb. I already have lots of Black. I know, Nutts!

18-Feb-18
See I had to order black, Too hard to find color matching accessories in all this new camo.

18-Feb-18
All good jokes... ;^)

19-Feb-18
I don't blame you for waiting Wapitidung. The black bows show dirt and wear SOOO much more than camo, and they are a tougher resale too. Not to mention the new optifade on the Hoyts is the best looking pattern in the industry. Way lighter than that Kuiu mess. I still don't understand why they went so dark on that pattern. If people wanted a darker pattern they could just stick with the realtree option. The Ridge Reaper camo looks awesome too, I just can't stomach those it represents.

19-Feb-18
Finally, I made the right decision.

20-Feb-18
Yes sir!

21-Feb-18
What rest are most of you guys running?

21-Feb-18
I wanted to try something different and tried a Ripcord Ace Micro. Still don't have my bow but that is the rest that is going on it. If I don't like it, it will come off.

21-Feb-18
Ripcord Ace Micro on all my bows for the past year. Yes, they are cable driven:), tunable and reliable. I loved trophy Taker (cable and limb) when Dan Evans owned it and used them exclusively.

Happy to report the Aces have been rockstars (through about 3,000 shots)!

Mark

• Sitka Gear