kscowboy 17-Jan-18
Jaquomo 17-Jan-18
Slippery Paw 17-Jan-18
IdyllwildArcher 17-Jan-18
Paul@thefort 17-Jan-18
17-Jan-18

Jasper's embedded Photo
Jasper's embedded Photo
Thoughts on bow mounted decoys? I'm intrigued. My property is bow only so safety not really an issue. Thanks

17-Jan-18
I made one. They work!

17-Jan-18
Got the same one from the guys at Ultimate Predator and it's awesome. I always have it handy in the blind. If you get a bird that isn't wanting to "play the game" on your field, I'll slip it on and sneak out of the blind to force his hand. If you get to a field and see a bird already out, slapping it on and going at him is more fun than trying to set-up without spooking him.

You will get different reactions out of birds. Some will charge you, some (like a group of jakes) will take their time and walk up to you curiously, and others will go away from you. I've had gobblers with hens act like they don't see me and push their hens away. I've continued on my path and caught-up to them for a shot as they are hiding their harem in the trees and brush.

You have to realize not all birds are bullies and wanting to fight. I've had a lot more success with a submissive jake by Dakota Decoys than a full strut tom. It's another fun tool but isn't going to be 100% effective. I've had no issues going at them in a plowed, open field from hundreds of yards away and totally exposed with the Ultimate Predator.

17-Jan-18
Haven't used the turkey but I've used the Ultimate Predator and Heads Up of various species with good success. Had a big bull at 15 yards this year but couldn't pull off the shot - too many branches. Last season I walked up to within 25 yards of a good muley buck working a doe out in an open field, meandering behind the Heads Up muley. I decided not to shoot him but it was really funny. This year I got a Heads Up buck but never had a chance to use it because of the wind and because my hunt only lasted three days.

Great tools. I've been using a homemade muley doe and cow elk hat for decades, with awesome success.

17-Jan-18
Never tried one but I bet it will work like a charm

17-Jan-18
Haven't used the turkey ones. I've used mule deer and elk with some, but limited success. Animals still often spook and you're left wondering if you could have just sneaked up on them the old fashioned way. Where they shine is when you have no way of not being seen. I think it's like anything else: it's not going to work as well on public land as it will on private.

17-Jan-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
this is exactly the position I was in when making the shot. Using a hen call and or a tom shaker gobble call gets their attention and adds realism to the set up
this is exactly the position I was in when making the shot. Using a hen call and or a tom shaker gobble call gets their attention and adds realism to the set up
3 year old tom, on well hunted public land in Nebraska. Date of hunt was during the shot gun season and in mid May.
3 year old tom, on well hunted public land in Nebraska. Date of hunt was during the shot gun season and in mid May.
using the Heads UP , I attracted this tom from 150 yards away to within 15 yards. One needs to practice before heading to the field as the extra weight and attachment does take getting use to. Do not wait until the turkey is on top of you to draw -- draw before it gets within your effective range..

• Sitka Gear