HDE 18-Jan-18
Zim1 18-Jan-18
midwest 18-Jan-18
HDE 18-Jan-18
nmwapiti 18-Jan-18
smurph 18-Jan-18
WapitiBob 18-Jan-18
17-Jan-18
Could someone please help me understand the way the my points work. I have fourteen points this year. But, looking at some of the units I would like, last years results were anything but predictable. Are any tags allocated only the top point holders? not understanding their system.

17-Jan-18
For bonus points 50% of the tags are to the max point holders and the other 50% goes random. They round down, so if there is only 1 NR tag available it will go random. with 3 NR tags 1 will go to max point pool, the other 2 will go Random.

The biggest issue with Utah for Non-Residents lately is the decreased number of tags available, leading many archery units to only have 1 NR tag available. From my understanding ,The Hunt Expo, and raffle, auction tags take disproportionately from the NR quota so that the Residents don't complain too much about SFW making all the $$$$ off selling tags.

Very hard to predict your odds with a random draw. But at least you have a chance for any tag.

17-Jan-18

HDE's Link
Check the odds report and you'll see a pattern as described above. 1/2 the permits go to the max point holders in each point "ranking" until the permits are used up. Then the rest go into a free for all.

Ex: 10 permits available, 2 people with 20, 5 people with 18, then 'X' people with different number of points on down to zero points. 2 permits go to the 2 20 point holders, 3 permits go into a draw for the 5 that hold 18, two of them don't get one. The remaining 5 go into the free for all, the more points you have the "more times your name is in the hat". That is why you see some people with 2 points beat out someone with 12 the second time around.

See the section "LIMITED-ENTRY AND ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME PERMITS" in the attached link.

17-Jan-18
that pretty much clears it up. Thank you very much.

17-Jan-18
Tim, I got you beat with 15 points going into this year. Maybe ill delay drawing so you can do my scouting!! Give me a call sometime so we can get more strategic. PS: I think Kelley has 15-16 as well.

Its so hard to be patient on these premier opportunities.

18-Jan-18
I'm putting in with 10. I have better odds in UT now than I do in NM. Better odds than a sheep hunt for sure...

18-Jan-18
The scenario WW describes is why I'm stuck with 21 deer points. Would have drawn a decade ago had it not been for SFW's NR raping. Once I summed up all the auction, raffle & LO tags for my hunt and it came to around 20 of the 22 tags. If I ever draw, I surmise none of the other hunters I'm likely to encounter will be average Joe's. They will all be millionaire's. Only possibility would be a raffle winner.

The Utah NR draw odds have plummeted over the years. This is why Randy Newberg now recommends his viewers to completely pass on applying there. Their draw system is completely corrupted. Oh well at least I got lucky once before the organized crime took over, drawing a Book Cliff's elk tag with no points way back in 1996. Odds of that these days is PowerBall.

18-Jan-18
Not only are the draw odds dismal, the bow hunt dates suck. I remain in the game simply because it's a cheap game to play....so far. If I ever draw or the price raises substantially, I'm out of the Utah draw.

18-Jan-18
Regardless, if you compare the available tags in LE units in UT to what other states offer in their LE draw units, there aren't many tags available for anyone in UT, period.

Only way to fix it is to take it to court...

18-Jan-18
If it's any consolation to the NRs on here, it ain't much better for a resident. I'm moving back to utah this year, but will be obviously be doing most of my elk hunting elsewhere.

18-Jan-18
I was excited, maybe this was going to be my year, now I'm just depressed. Good to hear from you Brandon, let me know what units you and Kelly are apply for so I can look else where.lol.

18-Jan-18
At about $40/year to apply, it's a no brainer.

• Sitka Gear