ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
2017 Gathering!
2017 Gathering!
Trophy Being Passed Along!
Trophy Being Passed Along!
Well, it's been 3 years since we started our ElkNut get together, we have a few cocktails & Pizza & swap stories for 5-6 hours well into the night! This year went well & is always great to get together & hear their detailed kill stories, we all learn something from one another! Last year we had a an ElkNut Trophy made & the guy with the best OTC DIY public land bull takes the Trophy for a year. This year Taylor passed it on to Tyler who took a sweet 315" bull. Last year Taylors bull was 345" but had to pass the crown. (grin)

Here's photos of our last 3 years, 5 bulls are missing from these 3 photos as a couple guys just couldn't get the time from their families! It's certainly understandable!

ElkNut/Paul

18-Jan-18
That’s awesome work, guys! Great set of elk racks and looks like a blast!

18-Jan-18
Good lookin crew there, especially that handsome young feller with the chartreuse ua shirt on!

19-Jan-18
Good stuff Paul

19-Jan-18
Super, super, Paul to Paul

19-Jan-18
Good times!

19-Jan-18
Looks like a fun time for all

Passing it On is great!

Good luck, Robb

19-Jan-18
Right on Paul,you Idaho boys kick ass every year,,congrats to all of you!!!

19-Jan-18
Looks like a great time! Congrats to the lucky winner!

Just curious Paul..................................do these guys all hunt together? Or are they just a group of like-minded individuals that gets together to talk ELK?

19-Jan-18
Looks like a good time!

19-Jan-18
Are any of them Bowsiters?

19-Jan-18
That's awesome Paul. Helluva huntin' crew and a TON of tags cut. Congrats!

19-Jan-18
That is awesome Paul... Thanks for sharing!

19-Jan-18
What a great thing!

19-Jan-18
Thanks guys, you're spot on, we have a great time! We look forward to this Gathering every year now! It used to be at my place for quite a few years where we'd gather together in Dec & have a few beers & yap about our years hunts. 3 Years ago we kinda sorta made it official that we'd make a point in doing it every year. My Son came up with the idea of the Trophy to be passed along each year! It weighs 7-8-lbs -- We are now having the Winners name & year they won engraved on the Trophy so we can look back on it in years to come, it should be fun for us, it's a great memory builder! (grin)

t-roy, yes sir, that's my grandson Trey he's 11he was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 2 months ago & has been a real trooper about it, I'm real proud of him. He's doing great & will elk hunt with us this year! He's holding my Son In Law's rack from this year, He's taking the photo.

Rut Nut, we're all friends & have know one another for many years, we all live in the same town. I've hunted here & there at least once with many of them. (2 guys are not pictured) My Son & I are the two main ones that hunt together, those guys will mix & match at times with one other in the group, as I mentioned we are all good friends. We do not hunt or scout as a group. We are ready at anytime though to help one another to pack or call elk for them if needed. I have all the field photos of everyone of these elk taken, you'd see only them, their bull or one other guy in them if one was there! No group hunting here. All these are OTC DIY public land elk except for one that was a draw hunt, on public land DIY of course.

cnelk, 4 of us have been on Bowsite here at one time or another & are still registered here. Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

19-Jan-18
Taking reservations for next year? At least in spirit? {Grin} I know a bunch of current Bowsiters who will attend. At least in spirit ;) maybe a podcast is in order here :)

19-Jan-18

ElkNut Trophy!
ElkNut Trophy!
Trophyhill, we only have so much space! There were aprox dozen folks there that evening, you would certainly be welcome bud! Here's close up photo of the Trophy, it's pretty cool! Also here's Tyler telling his story, he has everyone's attention! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

19-Jan-18
Wow! That is a great looking trophy!

19-Jan-18
Looks like fun!

19-Jan-18
David, thanks, we thought it turned out well too!

Octwill, yes it's a great time! We razz each other on their stories as they take us along on their adventure! It's a great learning & teaching aid as well. We're all just normal folk with a passion for elk hunting!

ElkNut/Paul

19-Jan-18
Looks like a great time Paul. Good looking crew, good looking elk, and a sweet trophy! Thanks for sharing it with us and good luck in 2018!

19-Jan-18
Thanks for sharing, Paul. Looks like fun.

20-Jan-18
You bet guys, thanks for your comments!

ElkNut/Paul

20-Jan-18
That's a whole lotta bull! :-)

What's the trophy made of....looks cool!

20-Jan-18
Nick, thanks! The plaque is 1/4" plate steel & I believe the bottom is 3/4" solid steel. We had it made at a welding shop, the guy cut the logo out with a plasma cutter I think! He's very good! Then he sculpted all edges & add a bit of abrasion to it, it looks great even up close! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

22-Jan-18
Cool stuff Paul!! Congrats!!! I’m going on my 5th year still looking for my first bull. I’ve been close but just couldn’t seal the deal!! This year is the year!!

23-Jan-18
Leo, thanks! Sounds like your attitude is in the right place, in many cases attitude can be everything, stay positive & you'll get it done sir! If I was a Newer elk hunter looking for any elk I'd rely on a Cold Calling setup starting at daylight as close to a feeding area such as meadows, parks or small basins as was safe. (150 yards will work) After 9;30 a.m. head towards their bedding area & setup on the perimeter, this time go with a similar sequence, cow call representing 3-4 elk, call in different tones for 3-5 minutes while rustling brush etc. then stop for 7-10 minutes & repeat for ever how long it takes with no bugling unless absolutely needed! Be prepared to stay there several hours or as long as the needed wind direction holds up! Call from a tight setup where elk must come into your range before they can see the source of the calling! (get inside 150 yards if possible) This setup has pulled in a lot of elk over the years for us, it can work for you! I rarely use it any longer as I really enjoy Running & Gunning elk instead! (grin) Good luck to you!

ElkNut/Paul

23-Jan-18
Is anybody else having trouble with the idea of an elk nutgathering?

23-Jan-18

How big was it! (grin)
How big was it! (grin)
315" bull!
315" bull!
Ohio, that's the loaded question! (grin)

elkstabber, how does one go about stabbing an elk? Just kidding! (grin) You may be on to something though, in the photo he's showing us a size of something, we all felt he was exaggerating it a bit! ( big grin)

The 2nd photo is a better view of his winning bull for this year, 315" gross!

ElkNut/Paul

27-Jan-18
Looks like fun Paul! Great success was had by you're crew as usual. Well done.

27-Jan-18
Looks like a great crew of killers! I hope you and your son can make it up here in Alberta for your elk hunt with us. I want to really learn all of your techniques, even a guide like me can learn more. I've killed a few elk with my bow and guided to lots more and Paul has some of the most innovative, interesting ways to hunt elk that I've ever heard of, in a class of his own. Hopefully I get to learn more first hand.

28-Jan-18
Matt, thank you!

Mike, still trying to work it into our schedule! We have 4-5 planned hunts at this time with a couple out of state! Fingers crossed! (grin) Thank you for the kind words too!

ElkNut/Paul

• Sitka Gear