Sling Shot 19-Jan-18
Trial153 19-Jan-18
Whip 19-Jan-18
Mule Power 19-Jan-18
nvgoat 19-Jan-18
ohiohunter 19-Jan-18
Sling Shot 19-Jan-18
19-Jan-18
I will be 69 years old this coming season and I am sitting on 6 points for Wyoming. I am thinking about putting in for unit 40 as it seems I may have a chance at drawing that unit. My question is unit 40 worth burning my points on, or should I hold out for another unit in the Big Horn mountains? Thanks for your help.

19-Jan-18
You should draw 40 in the regular draw with 6 points, however with the price changes I think this year might see some anomalies. If your looking the big horn unit I think unit 40 in the regular draw is as good as any of the bighorn units. Good luck .

19-Jan-18
It's been a long time since I was researching the Bighorn units, but I seem to recall being told by a biologist that unit 40 had a high percentage of lower elevations and that the elk tended to stay up higher until snow pushed them lower. I could be completely wrong on this though or even thinking of a different unit, but suggest at least asking the questions of people that might know.

19-Jan-18
True except for the ones that call private land home.

19-Jan-18
Will be very surprised if 6 points will draw 40 this year. Last year regular draw was the anomaly.

19-Jan-18
Agreed NV, looks like 6pts will give you odds, but maybe not 100% odds. Though there was a slight increase in odds at <6pts last year they were still single digits. Creep very well could eclipse the 6pt 100% standing it has had.

From what little I've read about this unit I'd hold out and see how the changes will impact the draw. Maybe minor could be major, never know. But you know your health far better than anyone here, and we ain't gettin any younger.

19-Jan-18
Thanks guys, it is a tough decision. If I put in for 40 I would have some company. He won't spring for a guided hunt so I would go it alone. Still have to draw a tag because I won't go general no matter what state unless of course it's private land with some decent bulls.

• Sitka Gear