TrapperKayak 08-Mar-19
Longshaft 09-Mar-19
jingalls 10-Mar-19
drycreek 10-Mar-19
Treeline 10-Mar-19
dickbird 10-Mar-19
Mark Watkins 11-Mar-19
19-Jan-18
I was able to harvest a wolf last week and am looking for unique mount ideas? Pedestal, full body, etc. ? Anyone have any pictures to get ideas from? Thanks!

19-Jan-18
Pics or it didn't happen!

19-Jan-18

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Something like this would be cool, but it might scare women and children.

19-Jan-18

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Why stop at one?

19-Jan-18
Nick, it's a gun kill soooo...............? D@mn you guys are helpful!!! LOL Hilarious!

19-Jan-18

rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
Dennis Razza is the man...................

19-Jan-18
Great mount rock50! Yes, Dennis does some incredible work!

19-Jan-18
I remember that black wolf mount from a Dennis Razza thread. LOVE that mount. I love the head down dominant stare look. Spooky and cool

19-Jan-18
gun pics allowed if the shot distance is less than the notable 88 and 101 yard shots discussed ad nauseum LOL :o)

Seriously I'd be interested in the story too.

DL: what the heck is the story behind the hundred wolf mount display?!

19-Jan-18
Where did you hunt!

19-Jan-18

OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
OK, you guys are a riot! Yeh Scoot........cuz you haven't seen them! LOL Shot in the Dryden, Ontario area. This was my 4th winter wolf hunt, and the first chance I have had at one. Many long, cold, boring days.......but well worth it!

19-Jan-18
That’s awesome. Good work saving some elk and deer!!! And better yet, it’s not a couple of German Shepard’s!

19-Jan-18
All coyote and wolf kills are allowed.... Choot em !!!!

Very nice !! Congrats !!!

19-Jan-18
Awesome, John. Congrats! So what’s the scoop on how you got him? We’re you setting over bait, calling?

19-Jan-18
No pictures, just my opinion. I have seen a lot of wolf mounts. IMO-most make on major mistake. They make the wolf too fierce. The best mount I ever saw was one of a very big wolf, reared up on stump, head turned to the side and tongue lolling like he was laughing. I showed his size and mass and made him look natural. I couldn't quit looking. Second best I saw was, laying down with a snowshoe rabbit between his front paws and no stupid blood splattered around. Wolf has his mouth half open but not snarling. BTW- I had my last bear rug done closed mouth. Love it. Just my opinion.

19-Jan-18
Massive head on that beast. Congrats!

19-Jan-18

DL's Link
I don’t care how wolves, coyotes and lions are killed, as long as they are killed. That’s a nice one. I’ve always wanted to shoot one and mount it. This stupid state has declared them an endangered species which is like making a prairie dog an endangered species if it happens to be here.

19-Jan-18
What a beast! Congrats!

19-Jan-18
Nice mounts;we can't even own one in New York;doesn't matter where it was taken.

19-Jan-18

XbowfromNY's embedded Photo
Wildan- what laws in NY are you talking about? I know many people in NY with wolf mounts.

19-Jan-18

20-Jan-18
Never killed one. Seen several but never where I could legally shoot one. My last hunt in Sask., I saw an absolute monster. Just walked by at 25-yards. Had me drooling. When I reached for my camera, zip-gone. Got an invite to go to MT next year and hunt but not sure I feel like making the effort. Too old to be getting anything mounted anyway.

20-Jan-18
Very Kool colors on your wolf!

He will make a great mount for sure

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

20-Jan-18
The wolf is covered under the endangered species act(1967) of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Agency : can not be taken or in possession (in NY state for sure) with-out having the proper paper-work. I know of one that was taken for a coyote that was confiscated by the NYS DEC and another that is sitting in a taxidermist shop(taken out of state and has the paper work).

20-Jan-18
Are you saying with no paperwork? Because everyone I know who has them mounted in their houses, Shot them legally in Canada and have the correct CITES permits or whatever they are called. Never heard of taxidermists in Ny having an issue mounting wolves.

20-Jan-18
Does not matter what state-if the animal requires paper work, the taxidermist must the required paper work before mounting or he is risking a fine. I'm not sure, but I don't think he can even have it is his shop.

20-Jan-18
Bowriter is correct;the paper work must follow the hide/mount.Just like you cannot bring a Polar Bear/Elephant/Rhino to the U.S. at all. For the list; www.fws.gov/endangered For any taxidermist;he must have very good records for "most" mounts,including deer bear and Federal(Hip # ,ect.) for waterfowl/migratory birds. Did you ever see a hawk/owl/eagle mount at a show?If so the paper-work must be attached to be in possession of.

20-Jan-18
Ok, so then everyone I know is fine. Because they had the CITES permits etc. I misread and thought u said nobody in NY can have a wolf mount.

20-Jan-18

Duke's embedded Photo
Duke's embedded Photo
Here’s a female that I shot here in Wisconsin prior to the season being closed. Mayes Taxidermy of Stevens Point did the taxi work and put it together exactly how I envisioned.

20-Jan-18

20-Jan-18

BullBuster's embedded Photo
BullBuster's embedded Photo
Wolf plus fox

20-Jan-18
wildan, you are mistaken on a few counts. One can absolutely still import an elephant to the US (and even NY). There are import restrictions from a few countries, but elephants taken in several other countries are importable. I believe the same goes for white rhino (not black). You are correct in regard to polar bears.

21-Jan-18
Snarling cat and canid mounts grow "old" very quickly to their owners. Closed mouth or relaxed open mouth mounts are the most visually pleasing.

22-Jan-18
Some great mounts guys. I started out wanting/thinking a shoulder pedestal mount to save space and money. But now, because I don't know if a pedestal would do it justice, and the fact I'm not sure if I will ever kill another wolf, I find myself leaning towards a full body, standing, head slightly turned and at mid height, eyes 3/4 open in the pissed off look, mouth closed. Keep the ideas and pictures coming!

22-Jan-18
I have to confirm your original thought- a pedestal Shoulder done right does it justice. If I ever manage to take one, it will be a SP.

22-Jan-18
I think we'd be waiting a long-time between wolf pics if a bow kill was mandatory for submission.... Congrats! One or more of those buggers is on my list. Just for the record, they make very nice rugs as well....

22-Jan-18

SS75's embedded Photo
This is mine
SS75's embedded Photo
This is mine

22-Jan-18
That wolf had some really unruly guard hairs growing out of its back!

23-Jan-18
"what the heck is the story behind the hundred wolf mount display?!"

Smarmba,

That is an installation called Head On, by artist Cai Guo-Qiang. I think there are Only 99 wolves. Google will show many more pictures.

First time I saw it, I smiled, a big shit-eating smile..... :)

23-Jan-18
Congratulations on taking a terrific wolf; the calves and fawns salute you! Whilst in France some years back, I saw one of the last wolves to be killed with Hounds [late 1800s]; mask [head] the size of a five gallon bucket!! The only trouble with mounting just the head is you need so much spare skin for the taxidermist to do a good job, that you are left with about half the back skin [which is a nice enough rug]. How much is a full body mount?

23-Jan-18
Barty, I am not sure on cost yet. If I had to GUESS.......I'm gonna say it would be $1,500 for a pedestal mount, and $3,500+ for a full body depending on the base and habitat to be added.

23-Jan-18
I shot one over Christmas in Montana. I have been looking into a full body mount and it ranged from $3,500-$5,250. The guy at $3,500 does real nice work too. Such an incredible animal and unreal when you actually see one! I called mine in!

07-Mar-19

OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
Here is the finished product for those of you who like closure. lol

07-Mar-19
I'd make him into an awesome rug. Full body mounts are just creepy to me... and they look too much like the neighbors dog. So,, Big AZZ rug for my wall is what I would do..

07-Mar-19
That turned out well. Nice mount.

07-Mar-19
Kill em' ALL!!

07-Mar-19
Very nice

07-Mar-19

Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Dryden Ontario
Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Dryden Ontario
That’s awesome !

John thanks for the tip I was there this past January and took this one.

08-Mar-19
Congrats again Doug!

08-Mar-19
I arrowed a wolf last August. Having the hide tanned and will hang on wall.hide was not great that time of the year.

08-Mar-19
Somehow I missed this thread. Congrats John! I love the mount. And for those that don't know, John shoots his bow as well as a rifle! And some critters are just made to be bullet catchers.

08-Mar-19

TrapperKayak's embedded Photo
TrapperKayak's embedded Photo
Huh?

09-Mar-19

10-Mar-19
Well done! Great to see another dead wolf! Make it as fierce as possible. So that women and children are scared. Have to stop perpetuating this Disney myth!!!

10-Mar-19
Dennis Razza could make King Tut look alive !

10-Mar-19
Dang, read the article on the 99 wolves hitting the glass wall and found out that they were all fake!

Would be so much better if they were all real dead ones!

Congratulations on the wolves guys! Keep up the good work!

10-Mar-19

dickbird's embedded Photo
dickbird's embedded Photo

11-Mar-19
Nicely done fellas...congrats!

Mark

• Sitka Gear