Kurt 30-Jan-18
12yards 30-Jan-18
Cheesehead Mike 30-Jan-18
rooselk 02-Feb-18
Rut Nut 02-Feb-18
Yellowjacket 03-Feb-18
Rut Nut 06-Feb-18
22-Jan-18
Do you use a bow sling when hunting elk. If so, what sling do you use?

22-Jan-18
No

22-Jan-18
Yes. I have an old Carlton Sling. It has straps with D rings that go around the riser and main strap hooks to the D rings. I do a lot of hiking while elk hunting and I don't need to have my bow in my hand the entire time.

I also have a Primos sling that I sometimes use while packing my bow in but I prefer the Carlton sling that carries my bow with the sight pointing up.

22-Jan-18
Nope

22-Jan-18
I tried the sling and the belt bow hook. Didnt like either. If its not in my hand, I strap it on my pack

22-Jan-18
X2 cnelk.

ElkNut/Paul

22-Jan-18
I will never forgive myself for having my bow in a sling while elk hunting. All I could do was look at the bulls legs 20 yards in front of me while I struggled to get that damn thing off!!! I hunt in very thick country in Idaho and things can happen fast. I am sure there is a good use for a sling depending on the situation... When hiking morning/night I strap bow to backpack.

22-Jan-18
I love my Primos, and use it all the time for to & from. It makes traveling much easier. It protects the cams, and comes off in just a few seconds. Once "in the zone", it's rolled & stuffed in the pack - 'takes just long enough to remove to perhaps miss an opportunity.

22-Jan-18

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
This photo shows the straps with D-rings where my sling shoulder strap attaches. To each their own but I've never seen any downside to using it. I killed my first bull with the sling still attached. I can just unhook the top hook and let the shoulder strap hang off of the bottom hook or I can just shoot with it still attached to both loops if I make sure the shoulder strap is not blocking my sight.

I can shoot with my sling on the bow but the Primos style slings are another story and I would never hunt with one of them on my bow because you have to remove it completely in order to shoot.

I usually take the shoulder strap off and carry it in my pocket but it's quick and easy to clip back on and it makes carrying my bow a lot more convenient and much faster than removing it from the back of a backpack.

22-Jan-18
Thanks Chessehead Mike. So what does the hook look like at the end of the Carlton strap? Is the strap like the one found on an over the shoulder bag you would carry while traveling?

22-Jan-18
If I'm on my bike, my bow is in a Primos with the straps cut off. Otherwise, no.

22-Jan-18
My dad uses a Primos for some of the to-and-from hiking. There's no reason not to have it on when you're walking in the dark. A big part of the reason I don't use a B Stinger or a bow quiver is to make it lighter and more maneuverable.

22-Jan-18
I don't hunt with a sling on but I always pack in and out with the sling on. It protects the cams and cables. Check out the new Sitka sling most versatile Primos style sling on the market.

22-Jan-18
I made my own basically like Cheesehead. Easy on/off, hands free for hiking/etc., never had a problem. I'll take a look at the new Sitka sling.

22-Jan-18
No, if I need to pack my bow I just pull it in half and stick it in my pack.

22-Jan-18
Bows just aren't that heavy, I've never seen the downside to just carrying it? If packing only I'll strap it to my pack, especially if using sticks. If hunting..... it's in one hand or another. In many cases they can help balance. If slipping and falling I think it's better to have it in your hand and keep it out of harms way. Weaving through the brush, etc.

22-Jan-18

Cheesehead Mike's Link
wtbowhtr,

Yes, the strap is like the strap on a bag you would carry over your shoulder. The hooks are plastic swivel hooks.

I'm thinking about changing to one like the one on my link that has buckles rather than hooks. The buckles might be a little faster.

22-Jan-18
I strap it on the pack when walking in. Hard to carry with trekking poles. I carry it otherwise, unless terrain is too gnarly. My pack does have a quick release so I just reach behind my head, undo the buckle and swing it off. About 5 seconds work.

22-Jan-18
No. But best I ever used when Bows use to have cable rods is a Balcom. It’s was great for glassing calling ect. Hunt

22-Jan-18
I use one when I’m Not in the elk and take it off when I’m in them. I use the solohntr bow sling. Super quick removal and protects my strings

22-Jan-18
I use this one. It's less than 1 second to unclip in an emergency but I generally only use the sling when I don't expect to see anything. https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/game-plan-gear-bow-strap?a=1882351&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv9_mxaTs2AIVlIxpCh3-QwymEAQYESABEgJFafD_BwE

22-Jan-18
Cheesehead Mike, That's exactly like the one I am looking at. Probably end up buying one and then see how it works when I get in the mountains. Thanks!

22-Jan-18
Cheesehead, the one I made uses buckles. Despite a bow "not being that heavy" they are still 6+lbs with arrows, quiver & decked out. It gets old carrying it on one hand all the time IMO. Plus I glass A LOT, so I would constantly have to juggle holding my bow & binos. Unlike most bow slings, the way I have mine rigged it hangs vertically behind my shoulder just like a rifle would. It tracks thru brush well. If I really need to push through thick stuff I either hold it in my hand or slide it so it hangs horizontally.

Any time it seems like I might get into action I get my bow ready and have it in hand.

22-Jan-18
You're welcome wtbowhtr.

Sounds like a good setup smarba. I'll be the first to admit that my Halon is "heavy".

22-Jan-18

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo
I like the hip bone hanger, it attaches to my pack belt. I can bust through most anything with it on, and I can grab my bow and be ready to shoot in second.

I always use a single trekking pole.

22-Jan-18
X2 ColoBull

22-Jan-18
Elk hunting no. Mountain goat or sheep hunting yes!

22-Jan-18
I’m with HUNT. Love my Balcom. I have one on both of my Switchback XTs.

22-Jan-18
I've been using the Balcom Sling for 12+ yrs. Unfortunately, it is no longer made.

22-Jan-18
I have never used a bow sling.

22-Jan-18
I don’t use one while elk hunting. When hunting whitetails I won’t leave the truck without it.

I prefer the Cabela’s sling over the primos one.

22-Jan-18
My hunting partner uses one that he can just let hang at his side. It stays attached when he draws his bow and acts like a stabilizer also. Pretty cool I just never tried it. Will search for a photo, probably 20 years old

23-Jan-18
Generally speaking, the name of the game when elk hunting is covering lots of country and glassing. I hunt open country so am constantly glassing. It's impossible to glass with a bow in my hands! I can't imagine setting my bow down every time I glass! It's also super nice having hands free in rough country and a lot easier on your arms/shoulders with a bow sling. I use a sling similar to this video. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ultimate+bow+sling&view=detail&mid=26887A89BD2548A2926A26887A89BD2548A2926A&FORM=VIRE Super quick and easy to ready for a shot! It's a pain in the rear and super slow attaching a bow on and off a pack.

23-Jan-18

TravisK's Link
I've elk hunted with a sling several years and really like it, keeps my hands free to glass, call or run my phone/gps. I've tried several types of slings and I've not found a better sling than Alpine Innovations Cambow sling. It never falls off, it's lightweight, it's bulletproof - I've had mine for 5+ years and its a good as the day I bought it, no snaps or buttons and it will velcro to your limb pocket while not in use.

23-Jan-18
Did with a compound, Primos, was able to get bow out of it and shoot a cow elk at twenty yards, just moved slowly while she had her head down feeding. Haven't found anything that worked well with stick bows but at least they are pretty light weight!

23-Jan-18
Pretty sure this thread is about compounds. Can't imagine a need to put a sling on a recurve or longbow.

24-Jan-18
I use the Vista Bow Toter Sling when walking roads or open country when I am going in or out from my hunting areas. There are loops on each end that slide over the cam and/or wheels. If you do need your bow it can easily be removed from the sling. The bow has never slide away from the sling while carrying it.

24-Jan-18
How do you glass effectively with a recurve or longbow in your hands? Even though they may be lighter than a compound it seems like it would be a pain in the rear setting down your bow every time you want to glass.

25-Jan-18
jims: I set one end of the recurve on top of my boot and then use the top end to help to stabilize the binos. It's a lot more stable this way and is easier to look through as compared to just using two hands. Of course, for serious sit-down glassing you'll want a tripod.

25-Jan-18
I've got one. It's great when you are hiking in. Mine has two quick disconnects to remover it, but I tuck it in behind my quiver when I'm set up.

25-Jan-18
Busting brush getting up out of the drainages and alders it’s nice to cover the treads up for protection. I use a sling as cover and lash the bow to my pack. I never carry it by the sling. I don’t see much need for it in elk country. Further north yea for sure ... I like the looks of the new Sitka sling with the sight and quiver cover. Looks like good protection and functionality. Going to try one as soon as they are available.

25-Jan-18
Generally speaking, the name of the game when elk hunting is killing an elk. Glassing and putting on miles may be part of one's daily routine and but certainly not the 'name of the game'.

Id rather have a bow in my hand than a pair of binos when slipping thru timber.

25-Jan-18
I have also had opportunities blown because of a bow strap/sling carriers. I also like hands free for glassing. So I have been carrying my bow on the back of my neck resting on my pack, sight and stabilizer on either side of my neck rides perfect all day. I can get to it in a split second to knock an arrow. I can glass and walk all day most anywhere. If it get in a thick place the bow wont clear I simply grab it and walk with the bow in hand until it's clear again.

25-Jan-18
Used to have an eberlestock pack, now have a Kuiu. Both offer hands free bow carrying abilities where without taking my pack off I can have my bow in hand in a flash. Roughly 1 second. The brush is way too thick where I hunt and my bow can not be in my hand. Need two hands to spread brush when walking.

25-Jan-18

Bowriter's embedded Photo
Bowriter's embedded Photo
In my opinion...or should I say, for me personally, it is mandatory. I use one that is extremely complicated. I have a ziptie on each limb, loose enough I can slip the clip off a strap from a camera case on each one. Anything will work, including a piece of trotline cord. In a rush, just unclip the top end or leave both attached. Shot it both ways I also only used a hip quiver I stole from Chuck Adams. All kinds of fancy, expensive slings. Never found one I liked any better than what I was using. Works for all types of hunting. Quick, quiet and with a tad of practice, you don't even have to take it loose.

25-Jan-18
Had one never used it, liked the one that covered the cams to stop twigs from getting snagged. I travel as light as possible.

25-Jan-18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3GH20jnVm4 This one works for me.

25-Jan-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
b4 compound limbs became parallel, I used a nylon strap with loops on each end that easily slipped on and off the cams.
b4 compound limbs became parallel, I used a nylon strap with loops on each end that easily slipped on and off the cams.
this one is ok but not as easy to get off but good bow protection when hiking from a to b. and not really hunting.
this one is ok but not as easy to get off but good bow protection when hiking from a to b. and not really hunting.
but when hunting down and dirty, I carry it. But I have made another nylon strap sling with plastic cam hooks that come off quickly, easy and quietly. Nice to be hands free when using binoculars
but when hunting down and dirty, I carry it. But I have made another nylon strap sling with plastic cam hooks that come off quickly, easy and quietly. Nice to be hands free when using binoculars

26-Jan-18
All great responses! Appreciate everyone's input. I am going to try one this fall and see if it works for me.

27-Jan-18

27-Jan-18
Mine is just like the picture Cheesehead Mike posted except instead of the D rings I just tie a 550 cord loop on the bow to attach the luggage strap to. Funny thing is, I never use the darn thing! Like to have the bow in my hand and ready to use.

30-Jan-18

Rut Nut's Link
Don't overlook the STRING SLING! IMHO, it is the best and most versatile sling out there. What I really liked and what I used most was the V-notch style '"trough"(for lack of a better word) that held the string at the nock point. Everytime I stopped to glass, bugle or get something out of my fanny pac or pockets I would use it. And I like the versatility that you can also use it as a back sling. To tell you the truth, most of the time while ELK hunting I carried the bow in my hand, but it was nice to be able to hold it hands free when needed! Also, when you get to a spot waiting for a shot you can have it hanging there with arrow on string ready to go. WHen a shot presents itself you grab the bow and you are ready to draw. Prevents fatigue from holding the bow for an extended time before the shot.

30-Jan-18
Kifaru Gunbearer for me. Hands free carry, instant Bow availability and ability to use two hiking poles.

30-Jan-18
I bought a Primos on the way out to CO on my first elk hunt. I used it on our trek into the hunting area, then it didn't get used much. IMO, it wasn't a piece of essential gear.

30-Jan-18
Rut Nut, I like it! Thanks!

02-Feb-18
Rut Nut, VERY interesting. First time I've seen that one. I'll check it out. Thanks!

02-Feb-18
Yeah, that's why I posted guys- you're quite welcome! First (and only)time I saw it was at the Harrisburg Sport Show back in 2010. Don't think a lot of guys know about it.

03-Feb-18
Rutnut, Do you wear that sling under your pack straps and bino harness? Thanks

06-Feb-18
I don't wear a bino harness. The binos would probably get in the way of where the "hook" that holds the string hangs, so I don't think you could use both. But yes, I have worn a daypack with it and most times go with an oversized fanny pack.

• Sitka Gear