SteveB 25-Jan-18
Kevin Dill 25-Jan-18
Treeline 25-Jan-18
BOWUNTR 25-Jan-18
loesshillsarcher 25-Jan-18
Halibutman 25-Jan-18
Stekewood 25-Jan-18
22-Jan-18
Years ago I had a dream about chasing the superslam. Wouldn’t think twice about starting after it nowadays with these prices. Wowza

22-Jan-18
Years ago I had a dream about chasing the superslam. Wouldn’t think twice about starting after it nowadays with these prices. Wowza

22-Jan-18
The prices are what the market will bear. If he's booking clients and they are going home happy then more power to him. Isn't capitalism great?

22-Jan-18
Screw That!

Moose, Grizzly and Mtn Bou all inclusive and I would do it. Not worth it for the reward. I can hunt for very nice animals here at home for 1/20th that price. Rich boyz... knock your self out!

22-Jan-18
PLUS the bush flight! Yowza...I agree with Ned. I have two left for the SS, but wouldn't DREAM of starting to try to chase it now from scratch.

Brotsky...unfortunately...you are EXACTLY right. Whether it is sheep, deer or 'bou prices are only going to bring what the market will bear. At WSF this past weekend, I visited with a Cali Sheep Outfit that is getting $80k for his hunts now. He is booked out full for 5 years.

22-Jan-18
Just look at the TV program the Rich and Famous, and others. $$ is not an issue.

Now to the average hunter with a dream. Well that is another story. I guess I will keep going to Nebraska, Kansas, Arizona and here in Colorado and spend maybe a few thousand over the next 10 years.

22-Jan-18
and to add, I have a good friend that needed two more species for the North American 29. He went twice for the Desert Sheep in Mexico before he got one ( I know what he spent). And then he said, if you think the Sheep hunts were expensive, the Polar Bear hunt almost broke his bank. Well not quite. He worked hard, he earned it, and now he is enjoying it.

22-Jan-18
The answer is yes to both of your questions Pat.

I just returned from Park City skiing. The amount of people spending gobs of money to take their families skiing is mind blowing. Hunting is no different. The 1% are doing just fine!

22-Jan-18
I hunted 6 different species this past season in 4 different states over 6 different hunts for under 10 grand. But my odds of shooting a top ten archery mountain caribou were exactly 0%.

When it comes to hunting, we have lots of options. But if you want something specific, you often times limit your options, which drives up the price.

22-Jan-18

22-Jan-18
You can get a great mt caribou hunt for 2/3 the price

22-Jan-18
I'll take 2.

22-Jan-18
All I can think of is he's brilliant and he knows anyone paying him doesn't care about money and probably caters for them. If he does - smart man.

22-Jan-18
When one gets into a check it off the list mentality the price is irrelevant

22-Jan-18
Bad as a 12k mountain lion hunt.

22-Jan-18
The cyclical decline of the five Caribou species throughout North America has greatly limited the number of tags and opportunities. It’s always supply and demand and there’s a lot of demand especially amongst rifle hunters.

22-Jan-18
20 grand is like 20 bucks to some, I remember when people in the US years ago started becoming millionaires, now you have to make billions to get noticed, not that I'll ever have to worry about that LOL.

22-Jan-18
AS I said.... Screw That!

22-Jan-18
Finally reached a point in my life where I could afford a caribou hunt and they moved the goal posts on me....I should have found a way to make it to Q-Labrador before it shut down.

22-Jan-18
Pat unfortunately I think your correct.

22-Jan-18
We should start putting in points for our kids on a bunch of species so when they are grown men they can actually hunt some good public ground for a number of species

22-Jan-18
Hunting to fill lists is certainly coming to an end ...except for the wealthiest hunters.

That may diminish the value we put on those lists. Where once we viewed a hunter as accomplished, we may now view him only as financially eligible.

Those that worked hard and found success in life are certainly entitled to the fruits of their labor.

For the rest of the hunting fraternity it’s back to square one..... before the lists were developed. Just back to hunting for no other reason than the joy of hunting.

All those animals in North America gave me an excuse to travel to wild places and seek out great adventures. If I was starting my journey today I know I would have to miss many of those experiences. Still.... the lower 48 offers lots of hunting ...and Alaska offers caribou and moose DIY hunts. If you’re in Canada... still lots of animals to be thrilled with.

So Woodland Bou are off the table .... let’s just hunt Barren Grounds twice.

22-Jan-18
I have been really looking into doing a mountain bou hunt, but with the current prices i simply can not justify the expense. Even some other outfits in the NWT that are running 12k...after all other expenses its just not worth it to me. I am in the younger generation pursuing a super 10 and for now ill wait and pray that Quebec opens its season back up sometime or just drop camp diy Alaska

22-Jan-18
Pat said it very well. I thought the same thing a few weeks ago looking at the book. Before I had kids I traveled a great deal but I couldn't do some of those hunts now. Not sure it will ever come down. I told my wife ten years ago that these days may come and that as expensive as it was then-there were certain species and places I wanted to see. I think many hunts I did in the mid 2000's are at least 30% more.

My kids and I are all about baseball, bluegills, sheds and mushrooms right now:) Funny how the simple things came full circle for me and I really enjoy them.

Reminds me of an old Zen saying, "Before Enlightenment chop wood carry water, after Enlightenment, chop wood carry water."

All perspective :)

22-Jan-18
I could see fulfilling a "list" a possible, but minor or non-issue with people who'd pay big money to hunt Mountain Caribou. If you read the hunt details, with the archery WR from the unit and trophy bulls common, if you have someone who doesn't just want to hunt the animal, but wants a chance at a true world class animal, well, there are a lot of people who will pay big money for that. If you have the ambition to hunt Mountain Caribou, a species that not a lot of people hunt, I totally get paying more for a better experience... provided it's truly a better experience.

22-Jan-18
I love looking at that catalogue but the same thing struck me like never before about most of the hunts.......... Insanely expensive way to entertain oneself for mere week or week and a half.

22-Jan-18
I'm glad I don't care for champagne, 'cause I damn sure have a Budweiser budget....

22-Jan-18
The downfall of the sport won’t be 18,000 dollar hunts or even 189,000 dollar hunts. It will be a lack of access to quality hunts locally on the “back 40”.

22-Jan-18
I want a Woodland Caribou and I've been talking to Mark from BSC...it's actually cheaper to hunt moose and black bear in Newfoundland then just one Woodland Caribou!!

22-Jan-18
Sure glad to live where I can hunt them with an over the counter tag. So far on three BC tries.....no legal caribou bulls spotted. Maybe 2018 will be the year....going to give it my best go again. At those prices, I will keep DIY hunting them until succesful or I run out of legs to try!

22-Jan-18
I’ll never forget the pit in my stomach when I sent in my deposit for a Mountain bou, Goat and Moose combo hunt in 2001. The hunt cost was $6800 and I was 34 years old with a young family. I really had no business spending that kind of money on a hunt, but looking back I am so glad I did the “irresponsible” thing and did that one and a few others while I was young or they never would have happened. There are still some great values out there but far too many hunts have gotten out of reach.

I admit to a feeling of urgency to do some hunts now. Not because a list has to be completed but because they are dream hunts and it’s clear that they too will be out of reach before long.

22-Jan-18
As someone looking to hunt all animals in North America, I have watched the increases continuously for about the last 8 years... I know I won't be able to hunt all the largest of each species, but it's coming to a point that even finding "opportunity" type hunts for some species are getting pretty high as well. I have 10 species, some of those being female since drawing tags is about impossible or the price to buy a hunt is about as much as I make a year currently. With prices the way they are, I figure I can get everything available in the lower 48, plus have a Canadian moose and Sitka blacktail. After that, just have see how things go. But I agree, the costs are constantly going up, and I think this years increases may have something to do with how the US economy has been doing. Oh and Grizzly hunts in AK will probably go up exponentially I'm guessing due to the BC grizz ban..... not helping that situation any....

22-Jan-18
There's a lot to be said for being content with where you are and what you have. Personally, I currently have no desire to go after anything like a mountain caribou. That could change someday I suppose, but I don't ever see myself spending that kind of money for a single hunt no matter how much I have. Maybe once I've finally killed a 180" WT my perspective might change, but after 30'years of hunting them I'm not holding my breath. Everyone seems to be drawing the same conclusion, hunts like that are for the ultra rich.

22-Jan-18
Remember when hunter were farmer, ag types and the next generation? And looked down at? Now we have big money hunters who have a guide to do the actual hunting, they just show up with expensive equipment and tbey need the full boat treatment. I remember seeing a northern canada moose hunt for 19k several years ago and knew i was no longer in Kansas.

22-Jan-18
This situation is why I asked the ? about booking hunts years out. Costs have just skyrockted, it would take me that long to pay for a hunt. I am not talking about 18 grand hunts either, just a decent management mule deer hunt i would be happy with and thise are 3 to 4 grand. Good to those that can, i can live through them. This is part of the reason I have not done many hunts in the last 5 years, just cant justify the cost. Well it is still fun dreaming.

22-Jan-18
being an antique those prices make me nuts! In 1979 I was 32 and spent $2300 on a 14 day Moose, Caribou and Goat hunt. People called me crazy but I wouldn't trade it for anything now. I hunted the other 4 species in following years with my Central Barren Ground coming last in 1996. It cost me $3350. I always had 2 jobs, the first for family and raising kids and the second for my addiction.

22-Jan-18
And I thought a $7k for a 165"-185" mule deer was outrageous

22-Jan-18
No Thanks.

22-Jan-18
Wow!! I've been on $108,000 worth of caribou hunts!!

'course I don't have an archery caribou yet, so maybe you do get what you pay for.

22-Jan-18
You can do booze, hookers amd gambling in Vegas for a lot less than 18k... a friend told me. Ed F

22-Jan-18
I don`t know guys....Tom Miranda hunted there and is coming back....that alone is worth $7000....The only thing I could think is the ala carte trophy fees might be cheap.

23-Jan-18
I’m hunting 12 species this year for five or take $8-10k once all fuel costs and associated things are added up.

Just got to want to do it. Certain hunts have always been out of touch to normal guys. Who cares, there are ample opportunities to still get out there.

23-Jan-18
Yup. If what you've decided to do is live in the east, hunt whitetails DIY, and adventure hunt on guided hunts in the North and the West, then it's going to cost you. Because that's what everyone does.

23-Jan-18
The only reason anyone would hunt MOUNTAIN caribou is to check it off a list.

If you have a CARIBOU passion there are far cheaper ways to feed it. If you have a MOUNTAIN hunt passion there are cheaper species to hunt in the mountains.

But if you have to do one of those slammy jammy things then you can't substitute......... you have to do the MOUNTAIN CARIBOU to check it off your list ............and you are subject to the ramifications of your goals.

23-Jan-18
With any luck I'll be hunting Caribou in the mountains this coming fall... Might cost me 100$ in gas and hopefully a few hours of pain packing it out.

The price above for a Mountain Caribou hunt is outrageous IMO. There have to be cheaper options.

23-Jan-18
If you have never hunted mountain caribou, how can you comment that the only reason to hunt them is to check them off a list? Pure BS. I have had the privilege to hunt them in the territories. Where I hunted them, they lived in the mountains with dall sheep. Some guys will never be able to afford a sheep hunt, but can pull off a mountain caribou hunt. We saw several grizzlies on that hunt and were charged by a sow and full grown cub. The sow stoppped at 15 yards. You can't get that type of hunt in Quebec. Yes it is expensive and it will continue to get more expensive unfortunately. It is simply supply and demand. If you attend any of the bigger shows, you will see what I mean. No lack of demand.

23-Jan-18
Mad Trapper, you can get that same exact experience with hunting caribou in the mountains of Alaska, without a guide for a mere fraction of the cost.

23-Jan-18
I've got a 5 day all inclusive wild Florida hog hunt for sale. 12,500$and I'll pick you up at the airport :)

23-Jan-18
Yeh Nick. I hear what you are saying. I suspect that if a non-resident is going to hunt in Alaska in the mountains among dall sheep, he may have a bit more than $100 in it, but you can probably do it for less than the cost of this mountain caribou hunt. But then again, I bet that you can find mountain caribou hunts in the territories for less as well.

23-Jan-18
It's probably a ridiculous price but so is $5000 for elk in the states.

23-Jan-18
I have to agree with Mad Trapper. I haven’t hunt CCBG and have no intention of ever doing so, but have hunted the others. Mountain Caribou is a unique experience and they are massive animals. All of the hunts were awesome but if I had to pick one Caribou to hunt and price wasn’t a factor it would be a no brainer.

23-Jan-18
I have never hunted any caribou, but I hope to be able to hunt all five species at one point or another. From what I have seen and heard, the Mountain Caribou live in the most beautiful country there is, why would I not want to go experience that. You can certainly get a mountain caribou hunt for a lot cheaper than that. As far as the prices which are getting out of control, the simple fact is if there is a will there is a way to go and do them.

23-Jan-18
To further add to the conversation, we just got back from the Sheep Show. I spoke with several outfitters who lamented the fact that they can't find and retain good guides. Guys are not standing in line to become big game guides. There are even less guides available who want to, or can take, a bowhunter. Compared to rifle hunting clients, bowhunting clients are generally much more work as the hunts usually go much longer. Two very prominent outfitters whose names would be readily recognized here indicated that they are going to quit taking bowhunters altogether or only take one per season. I would suspect that this might lead to even higher prices for bowhunts.

23-Jan-18
I don't think it's as ridiculous as say a $70k pick-up, or a million dollar home. It's all relative to what a guy is willing to spend. Personally, I can think of a lot of other things I could buy or pay off for $18k (before all the add-ons)!

23-Jan-18
To further Mad Trappers post, could you imagine spending 15-20k on a hunt and getting a crappy guide!?

Unfortunately that seems like a much more likely possibility these days.

23-Jan-18
The real irritating thing about all this is; there is no one to blame or get mad at.

You can't blame a business man for selling his product at the highest price possible.

You can't blame the man that has the money for buying that product,

You can't even really blame the guy that is miffed because it's out of his reach.

It is what it is.

23-Jan-18
This is what happens when guiding agencies make laws that don’t allow DIU hunting on public land owned by American taxpayers

23-Jan-18
Yes guided hunts are out of control. Have been for awhile and as long as guys continue to pay they will stay high. 5000 bucks to hunt a whitetail? Paying that kind of money for a deer which is one of the most populated game animals in the US, why not 18k if you get guys to pay it. Lol a standing O to the outfitters who actually get guys to pay that.

23-Jan-18
Yes guided hunts are out of control. Have been for awhile and as long as guys continue to pay they will stay high. 5000 bucks to hunt a whitetail? Paying that kind of money for a deer which is one of the most populated game animals in the US, why not 18k if you get guys to pay it. Lol a standing O to the outfitters who actually get guys to pay that.

23-Jan-18

Treeline's embedded Photo
So glad I got one for “cheap” not that long ago! Hell my all-in cost for Mt. Caribou and Dall including travel, tags and taxidermy was less than that!

23-Jan-18
Congrats, those animals are beautiful...as are your pics!

23-Jan-18
The way prices keep jumping, I doubt my son will ever be able to do many of the things I have been able to do. Maybe some of the skills I have taught him - glassing, hunting, skinning, caping, quartering, and packing will let him get a job up there just to be able to experience the North country.

23-Jan-18
MichaelA, don’t think that the Mt Caribou hunting areas are owned by the American taxpayers since that species of caribou only reside in parts of BC, the Yukon and NWT. You must have been generalizing about other species where you have to go guided as a non-resident.

23-Jan-18
I dislike "list" comments somewhat. There are animals in North America. If you write them down then they appear on a list i guess. I did not pursue the superslam just to fill a list. I can remember exactly where I was when I decided that I may entertain it. I was reading the big game edition of Bowhunter Magazine while sitting in my dorm room. I was tired of reading about all of these experiences involving different species. Frustrated about just reading about them I decided I would like to experience the different species and the different environments as well. I contemplated a career that may allow me to do so and then went that direction. 28 years later I am still pursuing that dream. I say this because when I began to think about actually putting my plan of the pursuit in action,1999 or so, it was a pipe dream, but possibly obtainable. 17 years later, while looking at current prices, I shake my head and tell myself that I would likely have never started chasing my dream as it is truly unrealistic with current prices. I say unrealistic at my income. I have done some great hunts at modest income and have sacrificed in lots of other areas in order to do so. I wouldn't even attempt it if i wanted to start at this time. I don't see it changing tune as Tom mentioned. If only I knew how to make money(lots of it). haha. The topic is about just one hunt price so I guess I got off track. But I agree, looking through that booklet makes me shake my head in dismay.

23-Jan-18
I agree with Ned as my story is similar to his. I'm always a bit offended when someone calls me a "list checker". My dream, my goal, and I've put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into chasing my dream to hunt all of the North American Big Game. Please don't "cheapen" the experience by telling me I'm just "checking animals off a list".

Regarding the topic of Mountain Caribou, I couldn't disagree more with 'boubound's post above. Mountain Caribou are the most majestic caribou in North American IMO. They grace some of the most incredible country in the world. I took mine long before I decided to pursue my dream because they were the caribou I wanted to hunt most. To say "the ONLY reason someone would hunt mountain caribou is to check them off a list" is ludicrous. If you want to hunt them, you can do so for much less than the price above. The price above seems crazy, but then again if the outfitter is getting said price more power to him.

23-Jan-18
Ned and Kota-man X2....I'm not doing this to check off a list. I want to experience everything this continent has to offer. We literally have just about the most diverse animal species and terrain available to hunt in North America. I've been from Newfoundland to Kodiak, and south to Southern Arizona. Every place and animal is something completely different, even if it's just a different "subspecies ".

23-Jan-18
I only did it because Kurt got me drunk at a WSF banquet and I raised my hand too many times:)

Mountain caribou was my dream animal to hunt and a 12-day horseback trip went damn cheap! The sheep was just icing on the cake and I was lucky enough to make a smoking deal with the outfitter for the sheep on a kill fee. Hell, I thought my money was safe! Figured there was no way I was gonna kill Dall sheep with a longbow...

It was worth every penny and, hands down, the best adventure and hunt I could imagine.

23-Jan-18
Nedly and Kota x 3!

23-Jan-18
Treeline, you got the deal of the decade on that auction hunt with Gana! Wish I’d have been smart enough to buy the second one! They had one hunt you got at WSSBC and the other at the GOABC that year.

Heck if I ever get my Mt Caribou DIY I’ll have a fair bit in charter flights, gas to drive north, etc. To say nothing about my guided hunt for Dall’s in the Mckenzies last year! Keeps you in shape trying though!

23-Jan-18
Kurt, don't hunt with six time losers and your chances may go up. haha!

23-Jan-18
Rod, how about the first week of the season? Love to help you pack one out!

23-Jan-18
I chose to hunt mtn caribou a few years ago for the area they live, not the ease of the hunt nor cost.

Never hunted caribou before and wanted a hunt that would be physically challenging (while I’m still physically able).

10 days on horseback was an adventure, hunting the mountains of the Yukon was awesome, killing a big bull with my bow was icing on the cake. It was the adventure I was looking for, not the kill. That's why I hunt with a bow.

I was actually hunting mtn grizzlies, moose, and caribou. The caribou was primary. A few days later, a large grizz claimed the gut pile. Wish we could have hunted him.

23-Jan-18
Kurt, first ten days of September already scheduled, then add some flex time. The spring bear party is close now and we can plan more then.

23-Jan-18
All I can say is that if hunting critters pulls in that much dough, hunting will never go away...just away from me.

23-Jan-18
I have had to rehunt a few times. Ones I remember are A-Y moose, 3 more hunts for Stones sheep(now40-45k+), and polar bear. If I could just have that money alone back in my hands(oh my). Never heard of Stormy Daniels. Is that a kind of hat??

23-Jan-18
If I could choose a sub species of caribou to hunt tomorrow, it would be mountain caribou hands down. But at that price, I'd be saving my pennies a long time.

23-Jan-18
Kurt, you should have grabbed that other hunt at GOABC! Would have been awesome to have had you in camp on that one! Probably could have done the same kind of deal for the sheep and we would have had a blast!

23-Jan-18
Ambush, sounds like a plan! Thanks!

Treeline, i was pre-occupied on my 8 hunt quest for a Stone, plus building a mine. Glad you did it!

23-Jan-18
double post & delete #2

23-Jan-18
LOL- I saw that same ad and my first thought was it was a misprint. I don't recall what I paid for my last 'bou hunt but it wasn't much. I remember we charged $130 a day for antelope on a great, Converse County, WY ranch. Seldom took more than one day. But, times change and so do prices.

In 1995, I went on a semi-DIY bear hunt. Cost was $300 a week and that included cabin, fishing and pre-set baits.

23-Jan-18
Around 2000 a Russian Snow Sheep hunt was around $6k. Of course at the time $6k could have gotten you a lot of hunts or the majority of some of them for that amount- Muskox was about $3500, Brown Bears around $6500. Some of these hunts are 5X that now. I have a 1999 article that I believe Neil Summers or someone from BSC wrote in Bowhunter Magazine comparing hunt costs in NA vs other places like Africa, Asia, etc... Even the deer hunts have gotten more pricey

23-Jan-18
I went through their catalog and saw that it would be between $500k and $750 to do the slam, and that's without travel ect.

TMBB

23-Jan-18
It can be done for less, not 100% sure how much less, but less than $500k....as long as you don't have to go back multiple times. I figure I can get to about 20 species before it gets VERY expensive. As in over $10,000 per animal. The way I have it figured it will be quite a bit below $10,000 per species to 20. If prices can hold a bit longer, I may not get over $10,000 for any one of them all the way to 20. Just have to look and get creative, and not be dead set on the biggest animal you see.

24-Jan-18
Pat, you are 100% correct, it’s more handwriting on the wall for the future of hunting. I had this exact conversation yesterday with a guide for a Yukon outfitter. They’re hunts are $18,500 +++. They sell out every year and are booked out ahead. He disagreed with me that they are overpriced and said that it’s all a matter of priority because you will pay the price of what’s important to you. He is right. I told him most average Americans prioritize homes, raising families, medical coverage and college educations over their hunts. He said, “ that’s exactly what I mean”. If you make those more important that the hunts, you won’t do the hunts”. No kidding. Sad state of affairs in my book. Then again, $20-$30k for a quality brown bear is just as ridiculous. Not to mention $40k or more sheep.

24-Jan-18
One person can't spend another's money..........meaning each situation is different. Some guys may save a decade for a $5,000 hunt and someone else just needs to lift the cushions up in the mansion to scrounge up the funds.

I was on a hunt once and was eating with one of the other guys hunting that week at the hotel the night before the a hunt started. The agent/outfitter joined us. We talked about lot's of things and this outfitter mentioned he also booked for stones sheep. The other hunter said he always wanted to do that and he was thinking about booking one for sometime in the future.

The agent said he had a date for next fall and would book the hunt for $41,000. The hunter said it sounded good and he would let him know in the morning at breakfast he had to check the exact dates he was available.

The next morning the hunter comes down to eat and writes the outfitter a check for 20,500 and said he was looking forward to the hunt next fall.

They had not talked about that hunt for 15 minutes total. It was insane.

He treated that hunt and expense Iike someone else would treat the decision to buy another antlerless deer tag or not.

everyone is different and in different situations.

One person can't spend another's money..........

24-Jan-18
Cheaper just to move and become a resident for a few years working where ever you might find work.

24-Jan-18
Boubound you just made my point. It’s not about spending someone else’s money, it’s about being able to prioritize that much money for a hunt. Most cannot. I have no issue with anyone doing so, it’s just that most can’t. It’s becoming a rich mans game to hunt most anything outside of standard western game. It doesn’t bode well for our future.

24-Jan-18
Somebody can afford it, some hunters fly their own airplane to the outfitters camp. I have a m caribou that cost way less, and Lord willing will get another this year in Ak on a diy drop hunt . I heard a long while back that hunting would only be for the very well off guys and the gap between the average hunter (such as myself) is widening fast. Agree about the prioritizing as well.

24-Jan-18
When I started hunting with JHA years ago, the cost was around 3 grand. Finished last year around 7 grand. Not that much of an increase over 18 years. Was looking for a hunt today and there isn't much out there for less than 15 grand in Canada by the time you account for every thing. Guess I'll just be hunting whitetails in Minnesota this year. Average guy is pretty much screwed I guess. Just can't justify the cost.

24-Jan-18
I wonder what people in 3rd world countries are hunting? I feel pretty fortunate to do the hunting I do. Even the average Joe is blessed beyond measure to have what we have.

24-Jan-18
midwest, I can answer that question. People in third world countries are either hunting something to eat or hunting each other. $18k caribou hunts are a first world problem.

24-Jan-18
From my experience in third world countries, the poor people hunt whatever they can for a little extra meat and the wealthy hunt whatever they want. Almost nothing - seriously nothing - for wildlife or fish where there is any population because they will catch and kill anything to feed themselves and sell any extra. Absolutely no concept of conservation.

24-Jan-18
Guys y'all are looking at it all wrong! Just book a moose hunt then you can hunt caribou for free!!!

Well, not really. There is a fee if you have to move to another area to hunt caribou. Then there is the trophy fee if you kill. Then there are additional guides to tip. Then there are additional game handling and shipping fees....Never mind, this stuff is expensive. Carry on!

24-Jan-18
The majority of the NA 29 animals can be hunted DIY if you live in the lower 48. You do not HAVE to drop big money on guided hunts. You have more options depending on if you live in Canada, AK, or some Western States. Some, the tags are more difficult to draw than others, but it's still the case. If you choose to not hunt because you'll only go guided, than that's your choice.

There are 11 NA species that are huntable DIY on OTC tags. Most of the hunts are easy to organize; some require a little, but not that much research and work. There are 10 more species that can be hunted DIY, you just have to be lucky and draw the tag or be in the right place at the right time. There are a few more species on top of these 21 that can be hunted DIY if you live in AK or certain Canadian provinces.

Is it really viable to hunt over 20 species DIY, probably not going to happen just due to the difficulty getting the tags, but it's possible. Get in the draws, learn how to research, get out there, and hunt. There's a ton of hunting available outside of hunting WT if you're just willing to step outside of your comfort zone.

Anyone who chooses not to hunt many species in NA because of hunt prices, is making that choice. Anyone can do it.

24-Jan-18
Real simple, as long as guys pay the cost is only going up. Maybe an industry wide boycott and everyone e hunts DIY and maybe it will adjust some of these prices,but I doubt that would ever happen.

24-Jan-18
LBshooter, would be nice but that will never happen because there are plenty of folks with the $$ to fill all the expensive spots available, and pay whatever it takes. Supply and demand. DIY sounds good in theory. and certainly some are possible as IdyllwildArcher says but logistical nightmares for most and even dangerous for the less experienced. Add to that working class folks with families and limited vacation, etc and it’s just a dead end in reality. There’s no way around the fact that prices are without a doubt out of hand. It’s impossible to justify $20k plus for a caribou let alone $40k or more for a sheep hunt for the average guy. And impossible for most. I’m not angry about it as if I was the outfitter Id do the same thing if I could. Let’s face it that average hunters are out of luck for those types of hunts with the rare exception and my point is that I believe that’s really bad for the future of hunting.

24-Jan-18
"DIY sounds good in theory. and certainly some are possible as IdyllwildArcher says but logistical nightmares for most and even dangerous for the less experienced. Add to that working class folks with families and limited vacation, etc and it’s just a dead end in reality."

Couldn't disagree more. It's just not the case. We are men. We are hunters. We've been doing this since the dawn of time. We don't need anyone to help us hunt. We pay for it because we want to for various reasons. None of them are wrong, it's just a choice. If you don't hunt multiple NA big game species, it's just because you chose not to.

"but logistical nightmares..."

Figure it out. It's not hard. I've done it. I went on a solo out of state elk hunt the second year I ever hunted anything. Not bow hunted, hunted. Ever. It was not that tough. I went into the wilderness. I didn't kill anything, but the next year I did when I had only 2 hunting seasons under my belt. The next year I killed a bigger one in a different state. There are step-by-step books on how to do this. All you have to do is read and then plan. It's not that difficult.

"and even dangerous for the less experienced."

BS. Driving on a freeway to the hunt is the most dangerous part of the hunt. These hunts are not dangerous game for the most part. If a man can't walk 1-2 miles into the woods and not find his way out with the technology we have today, then I just don't know what to say for him. Snowflake comes to mind. Pathetic is another. City Slicker is another.

"Add to that working class folks with families and limited vacation, etc and it’s just a dead end in reality."

So because someone's working class, DIY is a worse option than a guided hunt? That makes no sense. Limited vacation? If you can't take a week and go hunting DIY, you can't take a week and go hunting guided.

I read so often online from hunters that they cant do hunts in the west because they can't go guided and it just blows my mind. If you won't go hunt DIY, it's just because you don't have the ambition to do it. Not being able to go guided is an excuse.

Reminds me of a class of people who say they need extra help getting jobs and into college because of being at a disadvantage based on who/where they were born. It's BS. No one needs extra help. You just have to pull yourself up by your boot straps.

24-Jan-18
I’m not talking DIY for western hunts either....I’ve done unguided and non outfitted DIY myself and successfully too. Really enjoyed them and found them quite satisfying. That’s not the point of this conversation. It’s the sky high price of guided hunts for the not so common hunts. In this case an $18k caribou hunt. You can’t defend that and that’s the point of Pats post. Guided hunts. Nothing personal Idyll. I respect your opinion.

24-Jan-18
But that's not what you said Steve. You made comments regarding DIY hunting not being plausible and that's what I'm disagreeing with. And I'm not just talking elk. I did a DIY hunt in AK this year. There are several types of animals in AK that can be done DIY by anyone, caribou included. Sure, you can't DIY a Canadian animal, but my point is that MOST of the NA 29 can be hunted DIY by anyone who wants to. The point of the thread is that "these hunts" are becoming unavailable to the next generation. That's not the case. A few of "these hunts" in Canada are becoming unavailable and guided hunting in general is becoming unavailable due to cost. But anyone can spend their entire life hunting many many species of NA big game. They just have to do it DIY if they can't afford the guided hunt.

There are only a handful of species that you HAVE to pay an outfitter to go on the hunt. Otherwise, it's a choice.

EDIT: FWIW, Steve, I don't take an opposing view personal and I respect your opinion too. We've both been around here long enough to know who each other are.

25-Jan-18
Sounds like we agree on many points then sir. Yes, I know who you are and we’re made out of much of the same cloth. I do disagree with the practicality of “big” animal DIY hunt being practical in a week vacation though. I did a super cub fly in for 12 days when I was 35 in AK (I’m 62 now) and that was barely enough days. I got my caribou but not my moose. Cost me less than $2000. I wouldn’t trade that experience. I wasn’t alone though, there were two of us. Doing that alone DIY would have been pretty intimidating, especially with all the brown bear encounters we had, some waaaay too close. Only regret I have is that I didn’t think I could afford the bear tag back then :) I still do t have a brown or griz. I’ll check out for now on this but still believe that guided hunts for specialty animals are ridiculously priced these days and very bad for our sport long term. Take care!

25-Jan-18
For whatever it's worth, which is probably very, very little...

You can go to AK and hunt caribou in the mountains at sheep elevations, and be amongst the sheep if you like. They aren't mountain caribou by species, but I can assure you from experience they are just as big and just as magnificent. Huge bulls, white manes, giant palmated tops. You'll be well above treeline where it snows in August sometimes. If you play your hand well, you can do it all-in (no taxidermy) for under $6,000 and that includes a bush flight to the mountains.

I've hunted BC, NWT and the Yukon. I've seen what is there, and it's gorgeous. But Alaska gives up nothing. I personally would always prefer to do a diy hunt (in this case caribou in the mountains) for $6k vs any larger amount for a mountain caribou as a named species. That's just me though. I don't want or need a guide to accomplish my goals.

In 2019 I'll be 62. I'm planning a ten day solo caribou hunt in the mountains, followed immediately by relocating to moose camp for 14 days. Don't wait guys. Stay in shape and go kick butt.

25-Jan-18
Spot on, Mr. Dill.

25-Jan-18
Ike is on a roll... I like this... Ed F

25-Jan-18
AVA awards in Vegas this weekend. Maybe I could meet Stormy after all as I will be in town. lol

25-Jan-18
One of the best threads ever.

I don't think people that aren't pursuing the 29 really understand how consuming the goal is. It takes over your existence, requiring massive dedication to its completion. Most of the guys I've met that have finished it are regular people. They worked hard and made sacrifices. They networked and made it happen.

The experience of hunting caribou in ANWR was a more aggressive "mountain" hunt for caribou than my "mountain caribou" from BC. My BC caribou died at 6,000 feet in elevation, but the terrain did nothing to conjure "mountains" to mind. The caribou I killed in ANWR was above a band of dall sheep. I never saw a sheep during my BC hunt.

Hunting is supposed to be fun. Adventure hunting is supposed to be exciting. If you can get excited for less money, and are content with that excitement, who cares about any list???

25-Jan-18
I agree that the Greenland hunt is one of those adventures worth every penny. It’s also a good example of how quickly hunt prices can skyrocket. My buddy and I wanted to do that trip from the minute we read the feature on it when Pat got back just a few years ago. We watched the price jump up significantly each year and came to the conclusion that if we didn’t do it right away it was soon going to be out of reach for us. Seeing it jump up again this year has us glad we did it when we did.

• Sitka Gear