bigeasygator 25-Jan-18
DEMO-Bowhunter 25-Jan-18
JTreeman 25-Jan-18
Stekewood 25-Jan-18
DL 25-Jan-18
Predeter 25-Jan-18
HUNT MAN 25-Jan-18
23-Jan-18
Three years ago, I attended my first P&Y convention without knowing anyone who would be in attendance. I merely wanted to pickup a bonus point and see what the convention is all about. I figured I’d meet a few Bowsiter’s along the way, but I didn’t know that event would push me to broaden my horizons and take on some of the bigger trips out there. I really didn’t think I’d be hunting and traveling with other Bowsiter’s on those trips at that time, but this year I was able to enjoy two trips where that was exactly the case. One in the NWT and another back in WY for Shiras moose.

I’ll start out with my first trip of the year that wasn’t even supposed to happen until next year, but glad it went down how it did as I have met some good friends during this adventure. My 2018 sheep hunt got cancelled as my outfitter sold his area. I initially wanted no part of a new operation, so I cancelled my hunt and got my deposit back. Then after spending a bunch of time talking with Glenda and several other well travel hunters at the 2017 Sheep and SCI Shows, I decided that I’d take a chance on the new operation and be able to move my dates up a full year.

After 10,000 texts, I fast forward to July of 2017 and it’s time to head to the magical MacKenzies in the NWT!! I’m going to add in my travel portion of this hunt because it was a journey for us to get there and I also think it’s part of what makes these hunts what they are.

23-Jan-18
I arrive in Edmonton where I met up with Zackman and Matt that were hunting sheep with Gana River Outfitters. A few months earlier, we figured out that our dates matched up, so we booked our flights so we would travel North together from this point forward. After slight delays coming from Northern Califonia and Michigan, we all end up at the Nisku Inn around 2 pm and after a short shuttle ride from the airport, we settle in.

The California boys ended up getting in a half hour or so ahead of me and had set up shop at the connected tavern by the time I arrived at the hotel. I knew better than to go join them, but couldn’t help myself and headed down to partake in the action. We played pool, ate and talked about the upcoming hunt for several hours until around 9 pm since we had a 7:45 am flight. 6 hours of Zack is way more than you can normally take. Good thing there was some rum at the tavern…

23-Jan-18
Lies...

23-Jan-18
Day Two of Travel

With a 5:30 am wake up, I grab a quick shower expecting that we will fly into camp later this afternoon and then head down to catch the 6 am shuttle. Matt and Zack decide they are going to grab the 6:30 shuttle, but that’s too late for my flavor as I approach the front entrance, I notice that someone out front looks familiar. After making my way to the bus, I realize that it is Curt Wells. After a brief introduction, we chat about our upcoming hunting trips. Curt is headed to Gana with Zack and Matt to hunt mountain caribou for the TV show.

We get our bags checked, thru security and make it to the gate where there is a live band playing music and handing out donuts for the crowd. Canada surely does their airline travel different than the US airlines…

As we were almost thru security, Zack texts me and tells me to hold the plane because the shuttle was 20 minutes late and they are going to be cutting it really close now. I chuckle at the request, but Zack and Matt make the gate area in time and we all board the plane headed to Yellowknife for a quick drop/load of passengers and then onto Norman Wells.

So with the departure, we all are getting excited about the upcoming hunt and so far so good.

23-Jan-18
This should be good, even though I've heard most of the stories. Lucky for you Matt was there to "balance" the scales.

23-Jan-18
Ok, struggling with pics this time, I guess I'll have to figure out the new way of doing them before I can keep posting...

23-Jan-18

23-Jan-18

DEMO-Bowhunter's embedded Photo
After an hour and half of uneventful flying, we land in Yellowknife. Several people exit the plane, but those of us traveling to the next stop all stay on board. After 15 minutes or so, the flight attendant mentions over the PA that the plane has a mechanical issue and that we need to unload the plane so they can fix the problem. That is never a good sign, but what else can we do? We head off the plane and go inside the terminal to wait out the repair. After about 30 minutes of waiting, we find out that our plane is grounded and the next available flight is not until tomorrow morning! So we make a mad dash to the ticket counter to rebook in case the flight has limited seating. Luckily the flight for tomorrow is pretty open and all of the hunters will be able to make the flight.

While we are waiting in line at the ticket counter, our bags start coming off the carousel and it has a pretty neat mount above it.

23-Jan-18

The hotel has big bears in their lobby as well!!
The hotel has big bears in their lobby as well!!
After collecting our bags along with room and meal vouchers, Zack, Matt, Mike (Another Gana caribou hunter) Curt, Curt’s Camera man and I head outside to catch the shuttle over to the Explorer hotel. After a full bus of gear and a 5 minute ride, we get checked into the hotel and grab lunch on Canadian North airlines tab.

23-Jan-18

Somehow we ended up here…
Somehow we ended up here…
And might’ve had a couple of these…
And might’ve had a couple of these…
Following lunch, we decide to take a tour of Yellowknife and are pleasantly surprised by the town. It’s a very nice town and much bigger than I’d ever expected.

23-Jan-18
After we were three cocktails in, Zack gets a phone call from the air charter service telling us they have 3 seats available to fly this afternoon, but we have to be at the airport in 12 minutes. Zack tells her that we can’t be there in 12 minutes, but we are on our way pronto. And like a buzzed eagle, Matt, Zack and I jump up, drop a bunch of cash on the table and fly to the exits. As we were jogging back to the hotel, we are joking that it’s going to take us 15 minutes just to get to the hotel, not to mention getting our bags and then to the airport. We make it 3 or 400 yards from the tavern and the girl calls back and says if we can’t be there in 5 minutes, don’t bother as the plane is ready to leave now. So, we all stop and turn around… After walking back, we head back inside and find Mike, Curt and cameraman still sitting at the table, so we do what any depressed sheep hunter would do and order another cocktail…

After a couple more drinks, we figure we better head back to the hotel to grab dinner and then turn in for the night since we are actually on a sheep hunt, not a Northern Brewery tour… Back at the hotel, we all order a pretty heavy meal since Canadian North was picking up most of the tab and we are expecting to be out living on Mountain House’s the next day.

23-Jan-18

Final commercial boarding and ready to roll!
Final commercial boarding and ready to roll!
Day 3 of Travel

With a good night sleep and visions of Dall sheep and caribou in the air, we all get up good and early, head to breakfast and then catch the shuttle over to the airport. Zack and Matt must’ve had memories of their last shuttle ride, because they beat the workers to the airport this time…

23-Jan-18

After a smooth flight from Yellowknife, we finally make it to our final commercial destination!!
After a smooth flight from Yellowknife, we finally make it to our final commercial destination!!

23-Jan-18
As we get off the plane, we can tell the weather doesn’t look all that great, but we are hopeful that we can all get to camp later this evening. We head inside to retrieve our bags and as everyone gets all their bags, the belt stops and I’m still one bag short.

I head to the counter to discover that the airlines have somehow left my bag back in Yellowknife and they sent an email to the folks in Norman Wells outlining the fact. Fortunately, it was my backup bow and gear bag. I had everything I needed to hunt with minus a sleeping bag in my carry on and primary bow case. I was debating wearing my boots on the plane this am and luckily took them out of my backup bag and loaded them into my backpack carry on. I can tell you right now, I’ll always have my boots and single packed layers in my carry on along with all of my optics. I was a bit better off than Ben from Yeti as his bag that contained all of his hunting clothes didn’t arrive. So for a single leg flight, they left two bags sitting back in Yellowknife. Our rough start to the hunt continues…

After sorting out the baggage issue, we catch a shuttle ride to the Heritage Hotel from Emma with North Wright Air who is going to be our charter flight into camp. The flight prognosis for this afternoon doesn’t seem that great and the hotel doesn’t have many rooms available, so we pile all of our gear in the lobby and head for lunch in the attached restaurant.

After lunch, I meet up with Ike and Guy Eastman who have been in town already for a couple days. They flew up a day early to hopefully avoid the weather issues, but there was no reason in them flying out without their film crew that was traveling on our schedule and got caught in Yellowknife as well. Guy was hunting sheep and caribou while Ike was hunting Mt. Caribou. Yeti is doing a short film on the family heritage of the Eastman’s and how their grandfather originally pioneered this area over 50 years ago. Should be a pretty interesting film to see completed since I had the opportunity to watch a bunch of the filming.

23-Jan-18
After a couple hours of milling around the hotel, the Gana River group gets a call that they are to head down to the float dock. It’s 4pm and the weather doesn’t look any better, but it’s daylight 22 hours up here, so they can fly about anytime. After a few “Good Luck’s” and “Shoot Straight’s”, the Gana group is loaded and headed to the float dock. We are under the impression that the Gana group is flying out, but about an hour later, I get a text from Zack commenting that they haven’t flown yet and are just holding at the flight dock for another hour or so.

Around 5 PM, we get a call from North Wright that we are not flying tonight, so a scramble for hotel rooms leaves me sharing a room with Guy and Ike while Ben shares a room with the camera guys. We are all packed in the rooms with gear overflowing, but the roll away Guy found for me is a bit better than the floor.

Since we aren’t flying out tonight, we might as well continue the Northern Drinking tour while we sit down for dinner. Around 6 pm, Zack sends a text stating “No flying today”, so they are grounded for the night as well. They end up eating dinner “downtown” and we just stay at the hotel for dinner and drinks.

It’s kind of funny, the bar is only open from 5-9 pm and there are only like three places to go in the thriving metropolis… It probably was a good thing the bar shut down. After close, we head for the rack hoping tomorrow brings some flight luck!

23-Jan-18

Day 4 of Travel

After a good night’s sleep again, we wake up to the same dreary overcast rainy skies we had yesterday. We make a call to North Wright at 8 am to get an update and it’s what we figured, not looking good right now, but there is a chance for late this afternoon if it clears some.

23-Jan-18

The outfitters areas on a map
The outfitters areas on a map
Some biological information on the dall sheep from the NWT
Some biological information on the dall sheep from the NWT
So, we head for breakfast. I must say, the food at this restaurant is much better than I’d expect in a town as remote as Norman Wells. Everything I’ve had has been very good.

After breakfast, we take a short walk over to the local museum to pass some time. It has a bunch of stuff on the towns founding and the creating of the Canol Road. A neat place to pass the time this morning. Here’s a few pics with some interesting info from the museum;

23-Jan-18

A hiring sign from building the Canol Road.
A hiring sign from building the Canol Road.
I think Zack's millennial friends would just sit in their safe room after reading this sign! :)

23-Jan-18

After finishing up the museum tour, we thought about playing golf in the rain, but figured they wouldn’t let us on the course…

23-Jan-18

After lunch, we borrowed the hotel truck and went for a ride around town. No sooner than we jump in the truck, the airport calls and notifies us that our lost luggage has arrived in town, so we head over and grab that and take it back to hotel. After that detour, we the make our way around town and head out to a local park that takes us 30 minutes to drive to and enjoy the scenery.

23-Jan-18
After the park, we drive around town trying to find the float dock to chat with the Gana River clan, but we must’ve missed the only road leading that way because we couldn’t find the dock. After a few hours, we head back to the hotel to wait as the weather is slightly improving and we all are getting anxious because it looks like we may fly at some point today. Around 4pm we get a call that the Gana River boys are flying out and if they make it to camp, there is a good chance we are next.

Back at the hotel for hopefully the final wait, 5 pm rolls around and we all head to the tavern to burn some nervous energy. The waiting around and suspense is killing all of us. I suppose it’s better to be in town than stuck inside a tent, but I think I’d rather be in a tent right now. Minutes after we order our second round, we get a call from North Wright that our flight is going to be a go! So everyone scrambles out to get our gear finalized and loaded into the van. Spirits are much better right now!!

23-Jan-18

25 minutes later we are at the float dock and weighing our gear to be loaded on the plane at 6:40 PM.

23-Jan-18

A bunch of happy hunters on a twin otter
A bunch of happy hunters on a twin otter
Norman Wells on fly out
Norman Wells on fly out
The plane is all loaded and ready by 7 PM! As the pilot boards, he introduces himself and mentions that we are going to give it a go since they have been flying in this area for the past couple hours, but there is a chance that we will have to turn around if the ceiling lowers during the trip.

23-Jan-18

I always love flying with jet fuel and propane as a passenger…

23-Jan-18

DEMO-Bowhunter's Link
Here’s a video that I compiled of the flight into camp. Flying thru the mountain valleys below the clouds was a pretty neat experience. There were times that we were flying only a few hundred feet above the sides of the mountains. The flight in actually was really smooth, but flying up the valley thru the clouds was a bit interesting.

23-Jan-18

Finally, we have made it to camp!!
Finally, we have made it to camp!!
This is a pic of the cook shack and outfitter cabin built in 1967.
This is a pic of the cook shack and outfitter cabin built in 1967.
The hunter’s cabin that had four cots and a stove inside.
The hunter’s cabin that had four cots and a stove inside.
And at 10 pm, still plenty enough daylight for them to film a brief conversation between Guy and Glenda.
And at 10 pm, still plenty enough daylight for them to film a brief conversation between Guy and Glenda.

23-Jan-18
With the cloud cover still pretty heavy, we all spend the night in camp with plans to fly out tomorrow morning. We all sat around the cook shack table talking about the area and the history of the Canol road. The most interesting story for me was listening to our chopper pilot Lee who has been flying in this area for many years. He bought an abandoned bull dozer off the government, fixed it out in the bush and then proceeded to drive it some crazy 100 miles back to civilization. Now if driving it on weekends and thru all kinds of nasty terrain wasn’t enough, he took it back apart in 6 pieces at the final river crossing and flew it with his chopper back to town and then reassembled it. That was rather crazy and he had a ton of pics from the journey!

23-Jan-18

Here’s a quick pic of us hunters before we head out for the first morning. From left to right is yours truly, Ben O’Brien with Yeti, Guy Eastman and Ike Eastman
Here’s a quick pic of us hunters before we head out for the first morning. From left to right is yours truly, Ben O’Brien with Yeti, Guy Eastman and Ike Eastman
Day 5 of the journey and we are finally hunting!

Well, not so fast! In the NWT any time you fly you have a 12 hour wait period, so as the guys are flying out, they can’t hunt for 12 hours yet, so a bit more waiting after camp is all set up. Either way, the Eastman clan is the first group to fly out with their camera guys adding extra gear it takes them a couple flights to make it out in the field. They joined up with their guide who has been sitting in a tent for the past two days in the rain… I’m sure he was happy for some company!

23-Jan-18

The camera guys were the first to fly out and then the chopper comes back to pick up the Eastman brothers.

23-Jan-18
After the Eastman clan gets out, Ben is next as he is going to the same place and guide where Frank Noska killed a beautiful mountain caribou bull the day before. In their downtime, Frank green scored his bull at 390 gross and 380 net. Lee fly’s Ben out and then brings Frank and his bull back on the tag line under the chopper.

After Frank is back in, we reintroduce ourselves as we have met at a couple hunting shows in the past few years. After our chat, I finalize getting my gear ready as I’m last to fly out with our outfitter and my guide for the trip Glenda along with her sidekick Twitcha a Burmese Mountain dog.

Since Glenda is pulling double duty, she is still collecting her gear and it turns out to be a good thing because just as we are ready to walk over to the chopper, she spots a band of rams high up on the mountain right from camp. We pull out the spotting scope and she quickly gets excited as she ID’s two shooters in the band and believes the one to be a B&C quality ram. After a fairly short discussion, we decide to give these rams a go for the day from foot because if we were to fly up top, we would have to wait 12 hours, but we can hunt them on foot right now.

So we head out from camp and hike up the drainage watching the bedded band of 5 rams probably 3 miles away. The hike isn’t too bad, the first mile is mostly open timber and then it changes to the rocky stream bottom. With all of the rain in the previous days, the stream is pouring off the mountain pretty heavy.

23-Jan-18

Once we break out of the timber, here’s our view of the mountain.

23-Jan-18

Here’s a look back down the valley towards camp.
Here’s a look back down the valley towards camp.
We can’t see the sheep anymore, but we think we know what ridge they are on. We are going to keep hiking up the drainage using the mountain for our cover and keep watching for the sheep bedded high on top.

23-Jan-18

Here’s where we settle in for a bit. We are down in the bottom, but the angle gives us a pretty decent view of where the sheep were.
Here’s where we settle in for a bit. We are down in the bottom, but the angle gives us a pretty decent view of where the sheep were.
Shortly after, I spot a couple of the sheep up and feeding. We can’t see all of them, so we decide to work our way back down the drainage and get to a spot where we can watch the sheep and devise a plan.

23-Jan-18

And only a few hours into the trip, I get to break out the scope. I have been carrying my scope because I wanted to participate in every aspect of the hunt. Since I had mine, Glenda left hers back at camp.

23-Jan-18

First ram in the scope looks pretty good, even if he is way up in the clouds. I wish I could post the high res photos, then you could click on the pics and zoom in for a better look.

23-Jan-18

DEMO-Bowhunter's Link
We continue to watch the sheep for the next couple hours. Sometimes we could see them and other times they would move out of sight, but they weren’t traveling far, just milling around on the mountain side.

After a few hours, the three young ones appear in the same spot we spotted them from at camp. A bit later, the thin shooter comes out and then out walks the heavy boy. He is about the same length and shape as the thin ram, but he is much heavier and way darker horns.

The link has a short video of this band of rams

23-Jan-18

For a little perspective, the stick is pointing to the little saddle the sheep are moving around in.
For a little perspective, the stick is pointing to the little saddle the sheep are moving around in.

23-Jan-18

DEMO-Bowhunter's Link
We continue to watch the two shooter rams spar with each other while the others are sort of doing the same. This goes on for nearly an hour that we can see. I am trying to figure out a way straight up the mountain to them, but Glenda tempers my aggression and convinces me that it’s best we just be patient and wait for them to get in a better spot.

It is now nearing 9 pm and Glenda is craving her new Mt House Mac and Cheese, so we decide to heat up some water and eat dinner while we are watching the sheep. She suggests setting up camp right here after dinner and I figure we might as well just hike the 1 ¼ miles back to camp. She is fine with that, she is just big on giving clients the full back country experience of the hunt. After I told her I was good with sleeping in camp, she was much more apt to head back. So after dinner and approaching 10 pm, we hike back to camp to finish off the night.

23-Jan-18

DEMO-Bowhunter's Link
I guess you can't edit the video links. This is the first band of three.

23-Jan-18

They are now bedded about where the red dot is on the pic.
They are now bedded about where the red dot is on the pic.
Day 6 Overall – Day 2 hunting

With a good nights sleep, we wake at 6 am for a good camp breakfast. We glass for the sheep right from camp and Glenda spots them is pretty short order. They have moved a couple ridges closer to camp and are bedded on a ridge top.

23-Jan-18

It’s one of the younger rams bedded.
It’s one of the younger rams bedded.
In short order, we begin the 1.25 mile hike to the base of the mountain where we are then going to determine if there is any available stalking opportunities. However, as we approach the mountain base, we notice the sheep are already up and moving. It is hard to get a read on their intensions, but it appears they are climbing higher on the face and circling towards us.

We look the mountain face over and notice that a fairly large cliff face wraps from high on the mountain top down to a cluster of spruce trees right above us. This looks like a perfect pinch and/or glassing point, so we begin climbing the rock face. After ~400 feet of vertical and climbing up thru a very steep chute, we arrive at the clump of trees. Upon our arrival at the pinch point, Glenda spots a sheep bedded about 1,000 yards away on a clump of grass on the ridge.

23-Jan-18
Got to run for today, I'll pick back up tomorrow!

23-Jan-18
I'll be following along, great start so far!! Keep it coming!!!

23-Jan-18
Not acceptable Scott...Once you start a story like this, it must be completed in the same day. ;)

23-Jan-18
Man this EPIC!! Type faster! Come on, type faster!!! Get with it!!! Lovin it!

23-Jan-18
Excellent story so far and a real crapshoot generally as to how long before you’re actually able to fly out to camp. Look forward to the rest of your adventure

23-Jan-18
Awesome keep it coming!

23-Jan-18
Keep it coming Scott!

23-Jan-18
Good story telling so far Scott.

24-Jan-18
Enjoying it and look forward to more.

24-Jan-18

One by one, they all move around the bedding knob but they all seem content where they are and not moving to far. The red dot is about 1,000 yards up hill thru the scope to where the sheep are bedded.

24-Jan-18

24-Jan-18

Here is a pic of the thin ram bedded.
Here is a pic of the thin ram bedded.
The sheep would rotate and take turns bedding on the knob, sometimes it was the little ones and other times it was one of the bigger ones.

24-Jan-18

During the down time, I took some pics of the mountain across the valley and the valley floor as the water way flows.
During the down time, I took some pics of the mountain across the valley and the valley floor as the water way flows.
Here’s a picture of the spruce pocket that we were using for cover and glassing from.
Here’s a picture of the spruce pocket that we were using for cover and glassing from.
And one that is looking straight up the valley.
And one that is looking straight up the valley.
Around 10:30 am the action slows down and the sheep move behind the knob just out of sight, so we alternate naps and watching to pass the time until Noon or so. There is very little action from 10:30 on to 3 PM. We do get to watch Lee take the chopper to pick up a hunter that killed his ram yesterday.

24-Jan-18
Around 3 PM, we take another approach to get a visual on the sheep. We proceed to drop down to the valley floor and hike up the drainage for a mile or so trying to get a visual of the sheep. This doesn’t help any, so we assume that the sheep have headed over the top of the mountain.

As we are hiking back down the drainage, we are discussing our options on this band of sheep. Both of us would really like to stay after them, but we are coming to the realization that the mountain they are on is not really conducive to bowhunting and we may be better off changing locations. I’m initially a bit anxious of the thought of leaving behind two shooter rams with one of them being a potential Booner. However, I follow along with Glenda’s idea since she has my best interest in mind and I sorta agree with her at this point. It is more fear of the unknown in the back of my head.

We finish our hike back to camp where we reorganize our gear and get ready to fly out to a new spot later this evening. While we are getting our gear together, the camp staff is preparing caribou spaghetti for another solid meal before we fly out.

Around 7:30, just as we are loading up in the chopper, I spot the band of rams coming out the back of a cliff cut and mention it to Glenda one last time. She doesn’t hesitate and smiles. Lets go find some more…

24-Jan-18

So I crawl in the chopper with my bow in hand.

24-Jan-18
The Mackenzies are a very special place!

Great story so far, keep it coming!

24-Jan-18

24-Jan-18

DEMO-Bowhunter's Link
Shortly after, we are off and flying.

24-Jan-18

Here are a bunch of pics from our flight. The flight was almost worth the price of admission!!

24-Jan-18

24-Jan-18

24-Jan-18

DEMO-Bowhunter's Link
And after about 45 minutes of flying, we end up landing on top of the mountain because it is close to a water fall which will provide us with water for the next few days.

24-Jan-18

DEMO-Bowhunter's Link
A quick unload of the chopper and away Lee goes.

24-Jan-18

We landed right around 8:40 PM and the first order of business is water. We both came with empty bottles and we are going to need water to drink and cook in the am, so we might as well just go grab it now. So, as I go to grab my water bottle out of the pack, I realize that my bottle is gone. I ruffle thru the other gear that is laying around and I can’t find it. I am in disbelief because I remember putting it in my pack and snapping it in, but it’s gone now. Just as I make one final rifle thru my gear, I find it stuffed in the outside of my pack!?!? The only thing I can think of is when Lee loaded my pack, he moved the bottle from my holster and stuck it on the outside of the pack. Either way, we now have our water bottles and head over to the water fall.

24-Jan-18

This is why I started carrying a water bottle vs a bladder on these types of trips.
This is why I started carrying a water bottle vs a bladder on these types of trips.
As we make our way over to the sound of water, we quickly find out that the water is flowing under the rocks and we can’t get down to the water fall. So we just dig a hole in the rocks until we get deep enough to fill up our water bottles.

24-Jan-18

Not a bad place to rest for the night!
Not a bad place to rest for the night!
Here’s a view down the valley from the tent!
Here’s a view down the valley from the tent!
And this nice mountain above camp!
And this nice mountain above camp!
After getting our fill of water, we head back to our bags to setup camp for the night. These pics are being taken at 10:30 at night. It’s crazy daylight. I normally like to get sunset and sunrise photos from my hunts, but that doesn’t work so well here…

24-Jan-18

Day 7 Overall – Day 3 Hunting

With a 7 am wakeup and comfortable temps, it is hard to beat looking out the tent at this view!

24-Jan-18

It’s now around 8 am and after an oatmeal breakfast, I snap a couple pics of camp before we head back over to refill water and then it will be past our 12 hours to start looking for sheep.

24-Jan-18

I setup a little left of where this pic is taken and the sheep are bedded on the backside of the X. Glenda hikes up the face along the red line.
I setup a little left of where this pic is taken and the sheep are bedded on the backside of the X. Glenda hikes up the face along the red line.
As Glenda is hiking, a little visitor walks by…
As Glenda is hiking, a little visitor walks by…
If you look close, you can see Glenda in this pic.
If you look close, you can see Glenda in this pic.
We begin the hike back to the waterfall to top off on water for the day and we make it about 2/3 of the way there and I spot sheep bedded right in the chute where the water runs down. We glass the sheep and can tell they are small rams, but we can’t see all of the chute. So, Glenda comes up with a plan where she is going to climb above the sheep to see the entire chute and I’m going to wait in an ambush location in case the sheep decide to feed around the bottom of the bowl.

24-Jan-18
As Glenda crests the top of the hill, she confirms there are 3 small rams and one that has potential, but the sun has the chute filled with mirage and she can’t get a great view of him. Upon her return, we decide we are going to go around to the front of the mountain to try and get the spotting scope on the one with potential to see if we want to make a play on him or just move along and find a shooter.

Once we were on the front of the mountain, we were able to get them in the scope. Even at 500 yards and 60x, the mirage is making it difficult to get a good read on him. We can tell he is around full curl and has a big body, but just can’t pull an age off of him.

24-Jan-18

The sheep are bedded inside the red circle if it shows up clear enough.
The sheep are bedded inside the red circle if it shows up clear enough.
Another view of the bedded sheep from here.
Another view of the bedded sheep from here.

24-Jan-18
About time you get around to posting your story! :)

24-Jan-18

After watching them for some time, I’m convinced that the one ram is a shooter. Glenda is about 50/50 on him, but she is caught up on trying to figure out how old he is and with the mirage, it’s tough to tell for sure right now.

The band decides to get up and start feeding towards camp, so we make a mad dash around the front of this hill and get back to the ambush spot where we were this morning on the sheep trail. After about an hour, we finally catch a glimpse of one and they just rebedded up high in the same chute next to the cliffs. With the sheep content, bedded in an unapproachable spot and a thunderstorm coming thru, we push it the couple hundred yards back to our tents to wait out the rain.

Before we take complete shelter, Glenda comes up with a good idea!! She starts to setup her tarp to catch some rain water since we still haven’t been able to refill today. I grab some rocks while she sets it up and we have some willow smoke flavored water after the storm rolls thru.

24-Jan-18

The down time was a perfect time to catch up on my journal.
The down time was a perfect time to catch up on my journal.
After about an hour storm delay from 1:15 to 2:15, I open the tent to a loud crack of thunder as the storm has passed us by.

24-Jan-18
Great read so far and amazing pics, keep it coming!!

24-Jan-18

A quick check outside the tent revealed that the sheep were still bedded at the top of the chute right next to the cliffs.
A quick check outside the tent revealed that the sheep were still bedded at the top of the chute right next to the cliffs.
Always nice to glass sheep right from the tent!
Always nice to glass sheep right from the tent!

24-Jan-18
More please.

24-Jan-18
The next couple hours is filled with glassing the lone bedded sheep until another rain storm rolls thru which pushes us back to the confines of the tents. After the second rain storm it’s now 4:15pm and we take a stroll to the other side of the hill for a different angle to see if we can confirm if the other three sheep are bedded with the one we can see. We aren’t gone more than 5 minutes and the band is on their feet and starting to move.

So we head down below camp to the same cluster of spruce next to the sheep trail we were at before and wait for some more movement. After about an hour, Glenda spots the band way up high and they all seem to be focused right on our position for some reason. We haven’t been moving, but they all keep watching in our direction. I crawl under the spruce tree and set up the spotting scope. The sheep are somewhere around 500 yards directly above us at this point.

24-Jan-18

I am passing time by playing with my phone and the scope trying to get some good pics as the big ram is crossing the rock mountain.
I am passing time by playing with my phone and the scope trying to get some good pics as the big ram is crossing the rock mountain.

24-Jan-18

They continue crossing the rock face and then decide to bed on the perfect overlook right above us.
They continue crossing the rock face and then decide to bed on the perfect overlook right above us.
You can see he has his eyes closed
You can see he has his eyes closed

24-Jan-18
I glassed, photographed and napped for the next 3-4 hours while the sheep were bedded on the point. Around 8:30 pm, they decided to get up and feed around to the face of the mountain that we could see from camp. They were really high and feeding away from us, so we decided to head back to the tents. There were times when they could see us moving around camp, but they were so high, it didn’t really bother them. So, we prepared Mountain House Chili Mac for dinner while the sheep continued to feed high on the mountain side. As we finished dinner, the sheep had turned around and were now feeding back our way, but stayed high out of reach. As another hour or two passed, the sheep had now moved back into the rock chute they were bedded in early this morning. Since they were way to high and out of reach, we decided to call it a night around 11pm hoping for something good in the morning.

24-Jan-18
Day 8 Overall – Day 4 Hunting

We both start moving around 6:45 am this morning. We both take a quick glass of the mountain and determine the sheep have moved out of our sight overnight. With that, we do a quick breakfast this morning with a plan to head for water and then some glassing points to see if we can relocate the band of rams.

We get everything ready to roll and head out of camp just before 8 am. As we approach the drainage, Glenda spots the band of four sheep bedded out on the point that we were going to use as a glassing point.

24-Jan-18

I have marked a red circle where the sheep are bedded.
I have marked a red circle where the sheep are bedded.

24-Jan-18
We can’t take a direct route to them as we are in their sight window, so we drop back a bit and talk about waiting it out to see where they are going to more. I’ve done enough watching from a distance and want to close the gap some before we wait them out. So, I suggest dropping back and reclimbing the backside of the mountain where Glenda did the day before to confirm there were four rams. At first Glenda wasn’t sure the angle would help much, but after a little coaxing, she agreed we’d give it a try. We start to pick up the pace and double back to begin the climb. We push ourselves to the top of the hill fairly quickly.

24-Jan-18

24-Jan-18

But I have time to snap a pic back towards camp for perspective around 8:40 am
But I have time to snap a pic back towards camp for perspective around 8:40 am
Once we hit the top, we can see that we are in the clear and devise a plan to cross the open shale slide and get to the top of the cliff for a better look. We follow the red line.
Once we hit the top, we can see that we are in the clear and devise a plan to cross the open shale slide and get to the top of the cliff for a better look. We follow the red line.
We make it over to the cliff by 9:15 am where we drop our packs, tell Twitcha to stay and then I knock an arrow. We should be close now!!

24-Jan-18

At 9:20, Glenda belly crawls up to the edge for a closer look.
At 9:20, Glenda belly crawls up to the edge for a closer look.

24-Jan-18
She initially tells me the sheep are still bedded, so I just hold back so we don’t disturb them. Almost immediately she motions that the sheep are up and feeding. A couple minutes pass and she signals the sheep are at 77 yards. She has my second rangefinder and it is set on bow mode, so I know the rams are likely 110 yards or so, they are out of my comfort range right now. She is looking for a way to get closer. I’m not 100% sure where the sheep are over the cliff, so I’m little help in that department right now.

After taking another look, she scoots back to me and says let’s move around the corner a bit. So, we move laterally down the cliff face no more than 15 yards and for the first time, I can see the rams feeding just below us. My eyes instantly lock on the big ram feeding on a willow and there is NO DOUBT he is a shooter from here. She then scoots up to the edge and quickly ranges for me and whispers back 43 yards. Once again, I know it’s further than that, but in my mind, I’m thinking 60 yards, so we are within range now. I creep up to the edge of the cliff and get on her right side. We both whisper that he has brush covering his vitals. She then whispers 41 yards. She has me move to the left side for a different angle and says the arrow should clear it. I’m not comfortable with that yet, so I wait and adjust my sight to 41 yards. And wait… It’s only been a few seconds, but being within shooting distance is beyond real now!

Finally, the ram turns uphill to feed on another bush and he catches us at the top of the cliff!! He begins staring a hole right thru us and she is whispering that he has busted us. I have my bow pointed towards him and tension on the release, but I haven’t drawn yet. The wait is on again…

24-Jan-18
A few more moments go by and he turns to feed on the adjacent bush and is now standing broadside. She whispers 40 yards and I make a final pin adjustment before I settle my feet on the flat cliff edge. I draw horizontally, check my level, begin to bend down to the sheep and as I’m half way I mentally say “where is he?”, then he comes into the sight window, I settle the pin behind the shoulder and the shot goes off. It feels like an eternity before the arrow makes contact! He only takes a few steps after contact before he begins to get wobbly.

I have already knocked a second arrow by the time he lays down only 30 yards from the initial hit location. I am about to draw and shoot him again when Glenda tells me to go down to him for a follow up shot. I hesitate at first, but then circle around the cliff edge and scamper down the broken mountain face. As I’m sliding down the face, I come to the realization that I still have my second arrow knocked, so I place it back in my quiver. As I’m stopped, standing on the side of the steep slope and can’t see my ram, I look back up to Glenda for some assistance, but she is intently glassing down to my ram. I use where she is looking as a reference and start moving that way some trying not to be too noisy. Moments later, I see my ram come out from behind a hill not 40 yards away tumbling down the cliffy mountain slide! I watch him tumble down out of sight and then quickly look back up to Glenda. As I do this, she raises her hands in the air in celebration, which I respond the same!!

I can’t see where the ram has come to rest, but I now know that I have successfully taken an archery ram! Glenda then heads back to grab our packs, while I climb back up to the edge of the cliff to meet her. Once we meet back up, she congratulates me on my ram and then she sheepishly proceeds to tell me that this ram is also her first archery ram! So not only do I get to go down this slope to my first sheep kill, she gets to go for her first guided archery kill.

24-Jan-18

The red dot is about where the sheep were feeding and the orange dot is about where I shot from. I was a bit more around the hidden corner which didn’t make the shot angle quite as steep, but this illustrates the scene pretty well. You can see the point the sheep were bedded on in the background.

24-Jan-18

This is about where I took the shot from. After looking at it closer, I believe that I was a few yards to the right of this. Either way, #1 is where I first saw the ram and when he went from #1 to #2 is when he looked up. #2 is where I shot him and #3 is where he bedded after the shot. I have him circled where he came to rest against a willow tree. I was on the right side of the finger ridge right of the #1 when I went down for a follow up shot.

24-Jan-18

It is about impossible to show how steep this stuff is in pictures, these were all taken from the top of the cliff where I shot the ram.
It is about impossible to show how steep this stuff is in pictures, these were all taken from the top of the cliff where I shot the ram.

24-Jan-18

Here’s a Pano shot of them all put together.

24-Jan-18
So, after 15 minutes of congrats and celebratory conversations, we start to head down the mountain face to get to my ram. We make it a third of the way down to my ram and we realize that we are cliffed out. There is about a 20’ vertical cliff that rims the mountain that we can’t get down and couldn’t see from above. It also means that my ram rolled over that cliff!! Wow!

24-Jan-18

I can see the ram, but we are having a hard time trying to figure out how to get down to him without ropes.
I can see the ram, but we are having a hard time trying to figure out how to get down to him without ropes.

24-Jan-18

So, we turn back around and climb to the top where I shot him from to take another look from above. Once on top, we notice that we should be able to continue around the cliff face, drop down a chute with flowing water and then circle around to the front of the mountain.

24-Jan-18
The hike down wasn’t too bad other than crossing a couple big boulder fields. I failed to take a picture of the fields, but picture large rocks of varying sizes ranging from 100 quart coolers, refrigerators all the way up to small cars just randomly scattered on the side of the mountain.

24-Jan-18

After nearly 2.5 hours of circumventing the mountain, we finally make it down to my ram and I get to see him up close for the first time.
After nearly 2.5 hours of circumventing the mountain, we finally make it down to my ram and I get to see him up close for the first time.
I do a quick inventory to make sure he has endured the fall without too much damage and I see that he is still completely intact and only has a few scratches from the fall.
I do a quick inventory to make sure he has endured the fall without too much damage and I see that he is still completely intact and only has a few scratches from the fall.
Then I move on to punching the tag!
Then I move on to punching the tag!

24-Jan-18
HOLY COW!!!! Awesome story, hands are sweaty and slipping all over my keyboard, keep er coming! Congrats. WOW that is a steep shot angle. Way to go. Thanks for such detailed pics, it really helps to envision the hunt and follow right along!

24-Jan-18

Horned animals are so cool!!

24-Jan-18
Great account of the hunt! Congrats. amazed you take pictures like that. lol. I always forget to.

24-Jan-18
Awesome!!!!! Thanks for putting this together!

24-Jan-18

And for the hero pics!

24-Jan-18
What a great adventure and awesome job of sharing it with us!

24-Jan-18
another awesome hunt recap! Great pics and really cool story/writing. Congrats!!!!!

24-Jan-18

And now it is official!!

24-Jan-18
Amazing hunt and story! Thank you for taking the time to share it with us and for taking so many pictures. These hunts are just a dream for a lot of us and to be able to relive them vicariously through you guys that do them is the best thing about Bowsite IMO! Congrats on a great Dall!

24-Jan-18
That was awesome. Congrats on a great archery ram. A heck of an accomplishment! Well done, hope to hunt with Canol in '19.

24-Jan-18
Spectacular! Gotta love sheep! Awesome country up there and incredible hunting. Congratulations on a great ram!

24-Jan-18
Thanks guys! It was a quick fun hunt for the sheep, but it's not over yet!

24-Jan-18

This is the view of the valley from his final resting location.
This is the view of the valley from his final resting location.
This is the view from the bottom up to where I shot him. Gives you a bit of an idea of how far he rolled down the mountain and you can see the cliff that we couldn’t traverse down.
This is the view from the bottom up to where I shot him. Gives you a bit of an idea of how far he rolled down the mountain and you can see the cliff that we couldn’t traverse down.
After we get the picture taking process completed, we then move on to capeing and quartering. I let Glenda take the lead with the skinning as I’m saving the entire cape for mounting. She gets to work on the main body and I grab a foot to skin out. We continue the tedious process for the next 2.5 hours until we get the backstraps, a bone-in hindquarter and the cape and horns loaded into my pack.

24-Jan-18
Awesome! congrats ! Very well done!!

24-Jan-18
Congratulations... thanks for taking us along. Really enjoyed it. Good work.

24-Jan-18
Awesome story telling Scott...Loved it. Congrats again.

24-Jan-18

Now that the human packs are loaded, we begin the hike back to base camp. I say human, because Twitcha was supposed to carry some meat, but Glenda forgot to put Twitcha’s bags on this morning. So, the pup got to come along for a nice stroll in the mountains… ??

The initial part of the hike back isn’t too bad until we hit that boulder field. The boulders are big and that means they have big gaps in between them as well. A perfect place to slip into and break a leg. I’m a bit over cautious with every step as I’m trying to get used to the added weight on my pack and not lose my balance. Meanwhile, Glenda is flying across the boulder field like she’s walking on flat ground… We make it to a decent resting point on the edge of the boulder field and I mention to Glenda that “if I never have to cross another boulder field again, I’d be happy” She has about the best response possible…”What, no stone sheep hunt for you?” Well at the time, NO! But ask me the next day and I bet I have a different opinion.

24-Jan-18

We continue back around the mountain and take a prolonged stop at the stream again. I can carry 65 pound packs all day, but you bump that up to 100ish plus and I have reached my comfort limit. Combine that with trying to navigate boulders in the constant sunshine and I must admit the stream stop was much welcomed. Following a 20 minute stop, I am fully refreshed and ready for the final leg of our hike back to camp.

After the stream stop, we have one last major climb before it is mostly just side hilling back to the camp site. The final climb did provide for a nice photo op though!

24-Jan-18
Congrats on the great hunt! I'm just starting the process of booking an outfitter for my own adventure and will definitely be calling Glenda!

24-Jan-18
As we approached the final basin crossing, we spotted seven ewe’s and lambs once again above the original water source we were camped near. Since we weren’t too worried about spooking them, we just continued along our path heading for camp. They only move a couple hundred yards back from us and watch us continue along.

When we left the kill site, we set up a 7 PM pick up with the chopper since he was making other moves in the area. So we pushed our way back to camp by 6:50 and both were glad the 3.5 hour hike was completed. We dropped our packs on a little landing knob above camp and continued to breakdown camp.

24-Jan-18

Once the chopper arrives, we quickly load up and take the flight back to base camp where we arrive by 8:35 pm. We took the meat and cape to the cache .
Once the chopper arrives, we quickly load up and take the flight back to base camp where we arrive by 8:35 pm. We took the meat and cape to the cache .
Camp was broke down and ready for fly out by 7:15, but we were able to take a 45 minute rest because the chopper didn’t show until 8.

A final unloading of the packs and sorting gear took us to a base camp dinner tonight. After dinner, I was able to get a good shower and we finished off the night with a couple celebratory cocktails and finally called it a night around 12:30 AM.

24-Jan-18
Day 9 Overall – Day 5 Hunting

I wake up around 8 am as the chopper takes off for a run to the mountains today. We spend nearly all day taking care of the cape in and around camp. The fleshing process was truly a group effort as Glenda, Manly (Glenda’s Dad), Neoka (Guide in Training) and Glenda’s kids all helped work on the cape. I focused on cleaning the skull and deboning the feet.

A little later in the day, Shawn and Ryan came in from hunting and they went to work on Shawns ram as he also kept a full body cape.

24-Jan-18

Day 10 Overall – Day 6 Hunting

With yesterday filled with cape prep and camp work, today we are going to give it a go for mountain caribou. We do a camp breakfast at 9 am, re-sort gear for caribou and then head out for caribou around 10:30. This time it will be Glenda’s husband Glen and I heading out from camp on four wheelers, traveling a few miles up the Canol road to then climb to the top of a small mountain to glass for caribou. We stop a couple times to climb, but fresh bear scat tells us to keep moving along the road to a new spot. The caribou have been using the road for travel just about as much as the grizzly bears have based on the amount of scat laying in the road.

24-Jan-18

After crossing many mud holes & a couple flowing streams, we reach our final stopping point just before the river. After a 30 minutes climb to the glassing point, we arrive right in the heat of the day around 12:30. The temp had to get up to 80-85* without hardly a cloud in the sky. With the warm weather, we aren’t really expecting to awful much, but it beats sitting around camp. For the first time on the trip, I put on some heavy DEET to keep the swarming mosquitos at bay.

Other than two sheep up way high, the caribou evaded us from this point.

24-Jan-18
WOW... Great hunt and loved the way you told it. Congrats.

24-Jan-18

Here’s a view from the river below looking up to the top of the mountain that we were glassing from.
Here’s a view from the river below looking up to the top of the mountain that we were glassing from.
With the temps so hot, we decide around 6:30 pm to call it a day and head back to camp. In the warm temps and the long daylight hours, it might prove useful for you to sleep during the day and hunt all night long.

Once back in camp, we await the return of Guy, Ike and camera crew returning with Ike’s mountain caribou. Guy killed his sheep a couple days before, so their clan has now completed their hunt. With the additional hunters back in camp, we all enjoyed a big camp dinner and sat at the table telling hunting stories until 12:30 AM.

24-Jan-18

The day is shortening at a rate of 8 minutes per day, so we are finally starting to get some darkness at night. Here’s a sunset pic from that night
The day is shortening at a rate of 8 minutes per day, so we are finally starting to get some darkness at night. Here’s a sunset pic from that night
I was able to get a pic of the northern lights this night since it is now finally starting to get dark at night.
I was able to get a pic of the northern lights this night since it is now finally starting to get dark at night.

24-Jan-18

After a 20 minute ride, we cross a river and head up to glass for caribou.
After a 20 minute ride, we cross a river and head up to glass for caribou.
Here’s Glen setup and glassing.
Here’s Glen setup and glassing.
Day 11 Overall – Day 7 Hunting

With it finally getting dark at night, you can certainly feel the difference in the morning temps! 36* at 7 am this morning! Glen and I head out of camp around 8 am on the ATV’s & head to the opposite end of the camp from yesterday.

24-Jan-18

After three hours of glassing, we have found a few Ewe’s scattered out over the mountains, but no caribou yet.

24-Jan-18

It is cooler today and with a couple rain showers moving thru. Finally, around 7:30 pm we spot our first bull! Unfortunately, he is a small bull not worth chasing, but at least it’s a caribou.
It is cooler today and with a couple rain showers moving thru. Finally, around 7:30 pm we spot our first bull! Unfortunately, he is a small bull not worth chasing, but at least it’s a caribou.
A bit later, we spot an ewe and lamb crossing the mountain ahead of us.
A bit later, we spot an ewe and lamb crossing the mountain ahead of us.
Then out roles a cow and calf caribou! Well that’s better, more action!
Then out roles a cow and calf caribou! Well that’s better, more action!

24-Jan-18

A couple more hours go by without a bull sighting and both Glen and I have about had enough of this area. It is a great glassing spot, but the caribou aren’t in this area either. So, we head back to camp for a late dinner and call it an evening.

24-Jan-18

So, we started out of camp this morning on foot heading up the drainage that our hunt started in back on day one.
So, we started out of camp this morning on foot heading up the drainage that our hunt started in back on day one.
We continue glassing up the valley determined to find the start of the water…
We continue glassing up the valley determined to find the start of the water…
It’s crazy, the higher we hike, the harder the water flows!!
It’s crazy, the higher we hike, the harder the water flows!!
Day 12 Overall – Day 8 Hunting

Another camp breakfast this morning, but this time Glenda is going to take me out. As we were heading out on my final hunting day, I jokingly asked if she gave Glen a long list of camp chores/honey do’s today while she headed out to hunt. She chuckled, with “No, I want to finish what we started!” Sounds good to me!

24-Jan-18

Well we keep glassing and climbing up the valley.
Well we keep glassing and climbing up the valley.

24-Jan-18

Finally, after 5 miles hiking up this drainage, we decide that there isn’t really a top to this mountain and that we are following the river to eternity!! Well, the thunderstorm that comes thru soaking us might’ve had something to do with us turning around and glassing our way back to the bottom. It’s hard to glass up hill in this cut, but turning and glassing back down hill is very effective. We finally spot some sheep bedded on our way down, but still no caribou to be seen.

24-Jan-18

We continue glassing our way down with a couple stops included along the way.
We continue glassing our way down with a couple stops included along the way.
It’s now 6 pm and we are still a couple miles from camp. We figured the cool weather would’ve had some caribou up on their feet, but we haven’t seen anything in this drainage at all today. As our hike brings us out of the valley, we follow the face of the mountain another mile or so downstream until we connect with the Canol Road. Once we hit the road, we turn and head back towards camp. We covered nearly 12 miles today and never saw a caribou. We make it back to camp in time for our final dinner of the trip.

The evening is filled with more hunting stories as now every hunter has returned to camp. This trip has been successful on every level and as Zack has been putting it lately “another once in a lifetime bowhunt”. :)

24-Jan-18

These first pics include every animal that has been killed in the first two hunts other than one that has gone home already.
These first pics include every animal that has been killed in the first two hunts other than one that has gone home already.
Day 13 Overall

Today marks the day that we all must fly out and slowly return to civilization. We wake at our own pace and then all grab breakfast. The flight isn’t scheduled until 2 pm, so we have plenty of time to get our gear resorted and packed up for the flight back to Norman Wells. Just about everyone is taking their antlers along with their meat back home instead of having them shipped, so we have quite the load heading out of camp.

Once we get all the gear sorted and ready, we carry all of the sheep horns and caribou racks down to the runway for group photos.

24-Jan-18

Here’s a pic of the rams that were killed on our hunt other than Blake Patton’s because his was already packed inside of his bags at this time.
Here’s a pic of the rams that were killed on our hunt other than Blake Patton’s because his was already packed inside of his bags at this time.
Here’s another neat shot of the rams!
Here’s another neat shot of the rams!
And wouldn’t you know it, right in the middle of pics, two caribou bulls show up!!
And wouldn’t you know it, right in the middle of pics, two caribou bulls show up!!

24-Jan-18
Awesome story Scott!

24-Jan-18

We load the plane up and we are ready for takeoff with good clear sky’s this time!
We load the plane up and we are ready for takeoff with good clear sky’s this time!
Now those two guys aren’t worth getting too excided over, but after we got word that the plane had departed Norman Wells in route for us, we watch a shooter bull caribou walk out into the lake 2,000 yards away. One of the guides and Glenda both come over to me and tell me to grab my bow… I’m very reluctant to grab it since it has been packed away already and the plane is on the way! Glenda’s tells me that there is a plane scheduled for tomorrow and that I can just take that one home. Boy, now she’s caught my attention…

After a second look at the bull thru the spotting scope and thinking about what it would take to reschedule flights, hotels and other travel arrangements not to mention telling my wife I’m adding on days, I decide to pass on chasing the bull. Heck, I have to have a good reason to come back some day also!!

After all of the scuffling centering around a decision to chase the caribou, the plane arrives.

24-Jan-18

With the clear sky’s I was able to get some good pics on the flight out!

24-Jan-18
We make it back to Norman Wells with just enough time to unload our gear, hit the restaurant before it closes and meet up with the other hunters to share more stories. Once the restaurant closes, a group of hunters somehow end up over at the Legion hall which stays open considerably later, has a pool table and serves drinks until 2 am…Man that Zack character is a bad influence!! Lol!!

24-Jan-18
Well it seems the actual hunt was not really that big of a deal BUT from experience,, Telling this story with pictures, video, and word, in its self was quite an accomplishment. Nicely done and congrats on a great hunt and a fine ram. my best, Paul

24-Jan-18
Sounds like a great adventure, congrats on the nice ram! Thanks for sharing your story with us.

24-Jan-18
Awesome hunt and terrific write up/story telling. Thank you for sharing!

24-Jan-18
Amazing hunt and adventure. The pics are great as well. What camera were you using?

24-Jan-18
Outstanding story, pics and Ram. Congrats

24-Jan-18
njbuck, the pics were just taken with my phone and a Olympus TG-4. I did do some post editing on a few of them which cleaned them up.

24-Jan-18
Badass! Congrats Scott and thanks for taking us along

24-Jan-18
Excellent journal of your adventure Scott. Thanks so much for taking us along. Good job on the caribou, you made the right call. You always gotta leave a little something on the table for next time. I made the trip up to that country a while back just to bowhunt Mt. Caribou, and it too was an awesome adventure, so when you go back it will be well worth it. Really glad to see that Glenda is getting it done with the new outfit.

24-Jan-18
Damn, Scott! Very nice story and FABULOUS job on the photos! That's a dream hunt I will most likely never afford, glad we can live vicariously through you. Congratulations!

24-Jan-18
Thanks so much for taking us along on a trip that many of us just never will have the means to do. Congrats on a beautiful Ram

24-Jan-18
DEMO, you have a solid eye for photography and storytelling. Nice pacing. Really enjoyed the vicarious sheep hunt.

24-Jan-18
Congrats Scott!!! Beautiful ram

24-Jan-18
Incredible adventure, Scott! Thank you for taking us along!

24-Jan-18
Thanks for sharing and awesome ram! You had a great adventure that's for sure!

24-Jan-18
Awesome story!! Just freaking awesome! Congrats again Scott and nice seeing you again at the sheep show

25-Jan-18
Wow.

Thanks much for taking us all along..... and congrats on a dandy ram as well. Quite an accomplishment.

25-Jan-18
Grats Scott! Nice sheep, I'm super happy for you. Good job taking tons of pics. You did an awesome job on the hunt recap. It was really well-told and entertaining. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

25-Jan-18
Such a good recap of your hunt Scott, thank you for taking the time to do it. Congrats again on your ram! There's sheep hunting and then everything else, I bet you are looking forward to the next one.

25-Jan-18
That was awesome. Congrats

25-Jan-18
FANTASTIC post, photo's, and ram!!! CONGRATS Scott on a phenomenal experience! Thanks for sharing!

25-Jan-18
Just found this thread today! Read it start to finish thanks for the outstanding write-up Scott! What a thrill! Chopper rides, archery rams, beautiful mountains, what a trip! Congrats on fine shooting when it matters. Congrats on a ram, and congrats on a great story with pictures and video to go with it.

25-Jan-18
Man that is incredible! Thanks for sharing and all the awesome pictures!

Good Luck on your next adventure!

25-Jan-18
A HUGE CONGRATS Scott!!! Great story, pics and ram!!!

For a guy that "wrecks shit" for a living you sure know how to build an incredible story!!!

A Bowsite Classic!!!

Mark

25-Jan-18
That's hilarious Mark!! ^^^^What Mark said^^^^ Mike

25-Jan-18
Congrats again brother!! Looking over those pics and hearing the story again doesn't get old!

25-Jan-18
LOL! Mark

Thanks again guys!

25-Jan-18
Damn it, now I’m gonna have to book a sheep hunt!

Really well done, thanks for taking the time to build such an excellent thread. Congrats on a great ram.

You are a better man than me, I would have gone after that caribou ;)

—Jim

25-Jan-18
Great hunt and story! Congrats!

25-Jan-18
I used to never bother reading about sheep hunts because it’s one of those things that would never happen. After going last year they really mean something now. I have to tell you my heart was beating faster reading this. What an amazing adventure. Two years ago I visited a friend in Alberta. I had to keep telling myself I’m in Canada! I bet you felt that way too. Great story and wonderful pictures. You should have broke out your bows at the airport in Yellowknife to do a little 3D shooting on the polar bear mounts. You could tell everyone you shot a polar bear. Thanks for posting this.

25-Jan-18
That was a great read Scott. Congrats on the incredible hunt and thanks for sharing it!

25-Jan-18
From the photos to the story and everything in between. I enjoyed it all. Thanks for taking the time To post. Hunt

• Sitka Gear