Dantheman 25-Jan-18
IdyllwildArcher 25-Jan-18
Dantheman 25-Jan-18
Barty1970 25-Jan-18
LKH 25-Jan-18
LUNG$HOT 25-Jan-18
oldgoat 26-Jan-18
23-Jan-18
Hi everyone! I have never hunted elk before let alone hunt in the states. I am wondering if anyone can help me. Im from canada, what are my steps to getting a tag to bow hunt elk in colorado?

23-Jan-18
Drive to any sporting goods shop, purchase license, and go hunting. Good luck!

23-Jan-18
Or Walmart, grocery store, etc.

You will want to take a look at the regulations booklet and make sure you are hunting in a unit open for OTC archery elk and not in a draw only unit.

You can get up to 2 archery licenses - an either sex tag and a cow archery tag. The cow tag is only good in specific units and you will have to check the regs for which ones.

You should also check into the application process if you are interested in hunting Colorado. The tags that require application and drawing have limited numbers of hunters and can be significantly better than the unlimited OTC licenses. There are many elk and deer tags that you can draw with no points. Typically, the more points it takes to draw, the better the quality of the hunt.

You can also get OTC unlimited antelope archery tags. Check the regulations for the units that they are good for. The better hunts are definitely on the draw, but you can actually find some decent antelope on the unlimited tags. Those units are typically not in the same country that you would hunt elk.

You will want to have some decent maps of the area you plan to hunt. You can legally hunt on BLM and USFS lands in Colorado. You can hunt on some State of Colorado lands but not on the majority of State land unless it is leased by CPW - they have a booklet that shows the State Trust Lands that you can hunt on. You can not hunt on private land nor State Trust Lands not leased by CPW. Expect to see other hunters, hikers, bikers, mushroomers, etc. Expect to find elk where you don't see people.

23-Jan-18
A takeoff on Treeline's maps . Get a GPS and colorado's property ownership chip. Only way to be sure.

23-Jan-18
Dan, another important thing...if you were born after 1949 you will need a hunter safety card from an accredited firearms, or archery class. You cannot purchase a tag without one.

24-Jan-18
Does Colorado allow that you have purchased big game licenses in other states in lieu of the hunter safety card, like some other states do? I'm just starting to plan a 2019 trip.

24-Jan-18
No. You must carry a card. It's a common requirement and you would not regret getting it. Same for the Bowhunter Ed card. Whether you think you need it is moot. They require it and you have plenty of time to get one.

I have an exemption so I won't need one.

24-Jan-18

24-Jan-18
I think your question is whether purchasing a license in another state eliminates the need for a hunter safety card in Colorado. The answer is no. No card, no license for anyone born after 1-1-49. No exceptions.

24-Jan-18
No problem, I already have a card, but was just wondering. I think that exception is more common in the Midwest and eastern states than in the west.

24-Jan-18
FYI: the hunter ed card must be an original, not a photocopy or a phone image.

24-Jan-18
Which is really dumb, because replacements here are just a printout on a piece of paper. That is considered an "original". Isn't it Montana that just says, give us a little more money, and we'll consider you good? May be mistaken on the state. I have seen states let you use a prior purchased ARCHERY license in lieu of archery hunter safety, but not sure on ones that simply require HUNTER safety.

24-Jan-18
You can go down to a CPW office with your HS card and get it confirmed in the system and then not have to have it on your person. Just one of them thangs...

24-Jan-18
CO no longer requires you to carry a Hunter Safety card. The number is in the system when you buy or apply for a license and it's shown on the hunting license right below date of birth.

Also, CO does not require bowhunters to have a Bowhunter Safety card or pass a class. Some states do, CO does not. CO only requires the firearm safety certification if born after 1949.

24-Jan-18
Good to know. It's been a while since I hunted there but the warden who checked us was very specific about an original card.

24-Jan-18
That is great that you no longer have to carry your hunter Ed card. I had a Co game warden ask to see mine in 2016 on an elk hunt. I hadn’t heard of the change so I just kept it with my license.

24-Jan-18
My wife and I hunted CO for elk this fall. We had never hunted CO before. We stopped in Grand Junction Game and zfish office to have our hunter safety card verified and put in their system. But were told that we would have to carry cards with us while hunting this past fall. After that we would not have to. But she was clear that if card was just verified right before hunt we would need to have card with our tag while hunting

24-Jan-18
Carrying HS card is one thing but purchasing a OTC tag without is hard to do.... We forgot ours and we were able to call ND and the two departments were able to communicate and we got it done... Gal said not all states play as nice and more than once she has turned out of state hunters away.

24-Jan-18

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Per last year's brochure regarding hunter safety card...

24-Jan-18
It’s been 7 years but, I was told I had to carry the card while hunting.

24-Jan-18
If youve been verified, there is a 'V' behind your hunter safety # on your license.

24-Jan-18
Nick and I posted the same time

24-Jan-18
I thought the "V" stood for "Vegetarian" after I didn't fill my tag for a couple years..

24-Jan-18
Dan- Colorado just "updated" their system and most licenses can only be purchased through this new system. I am guessing you will still be able to pick up an OTC Elk archery tag at the wal-marts of the state, but I suggest going into the states new system and creating a profile. They have a video on how to get a new account set up. By doing it ahead of time-it may save you some time when you get down here to purchase tag. What part of Canada are you coming from?

24-Jan-18
You can purchase the OTC tag online as well. We finally got ours validated so we don't have to carry the card anymore. Just got lucky to be in town during the day close to an office (in gunnison)

25-Jan-18
Hi everyone! I have never hunted elk before let alone hunt in the states. I am wondering if anyone can help me. Im from canada, what are my steps to getting a tag to bow hunt elk in colorado?

25-Jan-18
Wondering why you'd go all the way down from Canada to CO to hunt OTC when you could hunt MT or ID OTC. Consider putting in the NM and WY draw and going OTC if you don't draw.

25-Jan-18
Thank you everyone for your inputs! Ill be scouting soon and looking at planning a trip

25-Jan-18
Lou for the win!!

25-Jan-18
Check out the size of Ontario and you can see why someone from there might consider Wyoming. Travel distance isn't much different and may even be faster.

25-Jan-18
“I thought the "V" stood for "Vegetarian" after I didn't fill my tag for a couple years..“

Holy $h!t... cracking up!

26-Jan-18
Didn't read all the posts so don't know if this was mentioned, you need to have a Colorado approved Hunters Safety course to get a license

• Sitka Gear