patdel 29-Jan-18
Ambush 29-Jan-18
BTM 29-Jan-18
BTM 29-Jan-18
Trial153 29-Jan-18
Ambush 29-Jan-18
SBH 29-Jan-18
25-Jan-18
So reading through the "how many species" and the "$18,000 caribou" threads brings back to mind something I've always thought would be a great idea and have long advocated for.

I live in BC where we have sixteen hunt-able big game species and a few of the high dollar ones. Non residents aliens also have to be guided. But we could easily issue fifty stone sheep tags and probably a hundred caribou and moose tags and likely more. Almost limitless black bear and wolf. BC uses a random draw, so every body has the same chance every year. Each entry could be twenty dollars. As residents we currently pay seven dollars per species. The tag fee structure could be the same as it is now.

Your chances of drawing would be slim, for sure, but for twenty bucks at least it's a cheap dream. And there would be a few hundred ecstatic hunters every year. And no guide requirement.

Hunting is in trouble in BC with our current government and as I've told many people the more allies the better. The money and influence would be good for us and our passion.

Maybe its time for US game clubs and organizations ( B&C, P&Y, SCI, etc,) to start lobbying and courting the BC governments and wildlife org's to make this happen.

I think the time is right and ripe to make some headway towards this.

As for the wannabe fast trackers: I have a single sister that's pretty good looking if you like redheads, and marrying her would allow me to take you hunting. But after living with her for a few months, we might not be getting along well enough to share a camp.

25-Jan-18
I think the idea is a good one, but I can imagine some strong push back from GOABC and other organizations. Unfortunately, the outfitters, who pay substantial taxes, will likely have quite a bit of influence over any of these proposals. It is a bit odd that outfitters and DIY guys often end up on the opposite side of "hunting issues", but it's the nature of the beast.

25-Jan-18

25-Jan-18
I like it but would bet it would not fly for many of the reasons listed above. But it is still worth a try,

25-Jan-18
I like the sister idea...I’ll bring her down here to New Mexico for the winter. Sign me up .

25-Jan-18
So, how many "husbands" is she allowed?

Hmmm, sounds like a business opportunity!

25-Jan-18
It didn,t happen if there are no pictures .

25-Jan-18
"It is a bit odd that outfitters and DIY guys often end up on the opposite side of "hunting issues""

I don't see it as odd. I do see it as a sign of a possible future....

This is the difference between Private and Public wildlife.

Outfitters that can "Own" allocations and guaranteed licences fall in the Private category.

Ambush's concept is based on Public Wildlife.

Which path should we cut for our kids to follow?

25-Jan-18
Canada hunters can freely hunt US animals as nonres....why not the reverse!!!!!!

26-Jan-18
Maybe "odd" isn't the right word, maybe unfortunate is more appropriate. It's just too bad that so much time and effort is devoted to deciding who gets to hunt where and when, in the mean time there are well organized groups out there trying to do away with hunting and wildlife management in general.

26-Jan-18
jims, you are 100% correct. And the main reason as usual comes down to (somebody's) money.

BC could give out two thousand black bear tags and include a wolf tag with it and not even notice. Not many would be interested in deer or elk with so many other places with better hunting. Moose and caribou, in the north, would be entirely doable.

And at least a few Stone sheep draws in areas where there is GOS for residents or outfitter allocations.

26-Jan-18
Does your sister have a fishing boat? If so, send me a picture of it.

29-Jan-18
The BC DOW could definitely generate a lot of money by instituting a draw system for NR DIY hunters.

The model certainly works for most of our western states.

It would also have the effect of bringing more information and money to counter the anti-hunting factions through primary US based hunting organizations for the protection of conservation based wildlife management.

Hopefully, BC DOW would also help protect hunting with the additional funding.

29-Jan-18
It would work well. Demand would definitely crate revenue in this instance. If influence didn’t prevent it from tuition.

29-Jan-18
Pic of sister? ;)

29-Jan-18
For you guys asking about my sister. She’s all in, but all aplicants must submit a pic of yourself in a Speedo and a certified net worth statement. She’s not interested in “trading down”.

29-Jan-18

BTM's embedded Photo
BTM's embedded Photo

29-Jan-18
Con: Married to a redhead (with the resultant short life expectancy). Pros: 16 resident tags and much better beer. Tough call!

29-Jan-18
I need pictures of the sister. I can have plan tickets in an hour .....how long will take for legal residency? I am in

29-Jan-18
Read my last post Trial. You’re in a line up. Gotta have some Bonus Points to move up.

29-Jan-18
BTM- Now thats funny.....better beer than where?

• Sitka Gear